PDA

View Full Version : Northern Arizona football

Lumberjacks76
April 8th, 2009, 09:01 PM
How does everyone see NAU doing this fall? They play two FBS schools and have an always tough Big Sky conference slate. We get Montana in Flagstaff this year.

Paul

uofmman1122
April 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM
6-5.

xlolxxsmiley_wix

Lumberjacks76
April 8th, 2009, 10:09 PM
That's a pretty mediocre record. 6-5? Why not 8-3?

Paul

DuckDuckGriz
April 8th, 2009, 10:15 PM
How does everyone see NAU doing this fall? They play two FBS schools and have an always tough Big Sky conference slate. We get Montana in Flagstaff this year.

Paul

I think NAU returns quite a decent squad this year. However, I don't think it usually makes a difference if it's in Flagstaff...no smack intended.

Lumberjacks76
April 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM
None taken. NAU has a decent chance at a winning season. Southern Utah will be an easy OOC win.

Paul

IaaScribe
April 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM
NAU will not beat Montana. Ever. OK, maybe in 2041.

Keeper
April 9th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Definitely most improved in Big Sky this season.

At least 2nd best defense in BSC.

Probable 7-4, possible 8-3, probable 3rd place after UM & WSU.

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Weber State? Didn't they lose like half of their team to graduation?

Paul

eagle1
April 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I think that NAU will be alot like last year and look great out of the gate but will fade in the end again. This has got to be Coach Souers last chance and with several coaches leaving recently, I think that the writing is on the wall. I am really surprised that the NAU administration didn't make a coaching change after last season. With all that being said, I think that 6-5 or 7-4 is about right. I understand why everybody is counting out EWU for next year based on the 6-5 record and post-season ban but this is practically the same team that took App St down to the wire in the 07 playoffs.

Go Eags!!!

JALMOND
April 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Right now, I've got them penciled in at 4 in the conference behind Montana, Weber State and Montana State. Still doing my research. 8-3 would mean only losing to Arizona, Mississippi and Montana while going undefeated on the road in the conference against Montana State, Weber, Portland State and Sac State. The Hornets will be no pushover this year, and it is a daunting task to win in Bozeman, Portland and Ogden in the same season. Jacks go 2-2 on the road in conference and you are still only 6-5.

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 11:33 AM
We've been 6-5 three years in a row now. That's too much. We need to have playoff teams here in Flagstaff. 8-3 or bust.

Paul

JALMOND
April 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM
We've been 6-5 three years in a row now. That's too much. We need to have playoff teams here in Flagstaff. 8-3 or bust.

Paul

If your conference slate was reversed and you had those four at home, I'd say 8-3 was possible. Flagstaff is just as difficult to win for a road team as Bozeman or Ogden is.

ncbears
April 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I think you'll lose to UNC.

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM
UNC? How'd they finish last year?

Paul

technocat
April 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't be dogging on anyone for "finishing" last year if I were you.

6 Teams will be vying for the BSC crown next year:

EWU, MSU, UM, WSU, PSU, NAU will all have a chance at the title and will beat each other up and UNC and Sac will get some wins out of now where so I think 6-5 for NAU is not to surprising given the two BCS games.

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I think they can go 8-3 if they go 7-1 in the Big Sky, 1-2 OOC.

Paul

CrazyCat
April 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Sept. 12, at Arizona, Tucson, Ariz., L
Sept. 19, SOUTHERN UTAH, FLAGSTAFF, W
Sept. 26, MONTANA, FLAGSTAFF, L
Oct. 3, NORTHERN COLORADO (FW), FLAGSTAFF, W
Oct. 10, at Montana State, Bozeman, Mont., L
Oct. 17, at Portland State, Portland, Ore., ?
Oct. 24, IDAHO STATE (HC), FLAGSTAFF, W
Oct. 31 , at Sacramento State, Sacramento, Calif., ?
Nov. 7, at Ole Miss, Oxford, Miss., L
Nov. 14, at Weber State, Ogden, Utah, L
Nov. 21, EASTERN WASHINGTON, FLAGSTAFF, ?

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
NAU plays 5 games at the Skydome and 6 away. That equates to a 3-2 home record and a 2-4 road record.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I think you'll lose to UNC.

How do you figure? UNC won 1 game last year.

Paul

malibudude
April 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM
None taken. NAU has a decent chance at a winning season. Southern Utah will be an easy OOC win.

Paul

Southern Utah is going to be a load this year. I would not put that game on the W side of the ledger just yet.

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Does Southern Utah return most of their starters?

Paul

ncbears
April 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
UNC? How'd they finish last year?

Paul

You beat us on a botched snap last year.

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM
UNC is improving, but they need to show themselves during Big Sky conference play. Those are the money games for succeeding.

Paul

coover
April 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I am really surprised that the NAU administration didn't make a coaching change after last season.

The NAU Administration is considering dropping Football. I don't think they would hire a new coach (perhaps with a 4 or 5 year contract) and then tell him after a year or two that he has no job.

By the way, I have no new information on the NAU situation. What I know was from previous AGS threads. However, if the NAU Administrators have made a decision to continue the program, I am not aware of it.

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 04:18 PM
What is your source that NAU is considering dropping football? I'm very curious to know.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Surely it is just random speculation?

Paul

coover
April 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
It sounded pretty serious when I read it a couple of months ago. The thread seemed to be whether or not NAU would remain in the Big Sky when they stopped playing football. The reason they would stop football was money. Evidently the State of Arizona is cutting funding for the University and the Football program was threatened.

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM
But what is the source of the rumor? This message board?

Paul

mvemjsunpx
April 9th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Paul

I don't think that's going to happen. Weber, Montana, & EWU definitely look to be better than NAU while Sac & MSU are probably better.

Unless Michael Herrick dramatically improves, the 'Jacks will have trouble moving the ball; he had 0 TDs, 5 picks, & minus-64 rushing yards in NAU's four season-ending losses. Their conventional running game is decent, so the more weak run defenses NAU plays, the better their record.

Lumberjacks76
April 9th, 2009, 07:48 PM
But he has had a good spring thus far. According to reports.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 10th, 2009, 10:29 AM
You beat us on a botched snap last year.

Which was lucky of us.

Paul

malibudude
April 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Does Southern Utah return most of their starters?

Paul

Well they return their QB Stone and WR Poots. That tandem is very, very good. Due to a scheduling alignment in the Great West the TBirds will be paying their second straight visit to CP this year, which is a very good result for CP.

ncbears
April 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Well they return their QB Stone and WR Poots. That tandem is very, very good. Due to a scheduling alignment in the Great West the TBirds will be paying their second straight visit to CP this year, which is a very good result for CP.

Cody Stone used to play for UNC.

Lumberjacks76
April 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Southern Utah can win 6 games this year, by my estimation. Maybe 7 if things fall right.

Paul

Lumberjacks76
April 11th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Update on NAU at practice:

http://nau.newtier.com/index.php?module=pnNews&tid=18&sid=2929

Paul