DLS
April 7th, 2009, 07:13 AM
not too shabby.

http://www.appfan.com/blog/?p=2381#comments

GATA
April 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
not too shabby.

http://www.appfan.com/blog/?p=2381#comments

LOL. I'll tell you what...this video is EPIC.

a 52 minute documentary!? This is why I like to play App State. You guys are certainly passionate about your team...just like GSU fans.

andy7171
April 7th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Nice video. But no way would I put up with a kicker read out loud from a Bible during pre-game.

CharlestonAppFan
April 7th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Nice video. But no way would I put up with a kicker read out loud from a Bible during pre-game.

That wasn't the kicker xsmhx it was Trey Elder's younger brother (remember him?) Blake Elder, one of our WR's xthumbsupx And spiritualism and religion is one of the cornerstones of ASU football

DLS
April 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
its a pre-game ritual to read that passage before every game.

it is unusual for a state university to allow religous bias but im pretty sure thats one of jerry moore's stipulations. really, who is going to argue?

being someone of the christian faith im all for it but i can totally see why a non-christian would find this foul.

if a player doesnt like it then they shouldnt be playing here.

CrackerRiley
April 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Whoa, that video was pretty sweet. Just finished watching the whole thing. Brings a tear to the eye and gets me excited for next year!

I'll have to save the 2007 video for another day.

achrist70
April 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Great Video!

Uncle Buck
April 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM

I gotta go with you on this one Andy, kicker or not. I'm not one for brimstone and all that jazz. But hey, it obviously works for them.

DLS
April 7th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I gotta go with you on this one Andy, kicker or not. I'm not one for brimstone and all that jazz. But hey, it obviously works for them.

welcome to the bible belt

Big Al
April 7th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Why do I see this thread getting moved?

...spiritualism and religion is one of the cornerstones of ASU football

That wouldn't be a problem if it was a private university, funded by private dollars.

its a pre-game ritual to read that passage before every game.

If the players, by themselves, are getting together and saying "Who's gonna read the passage this week?" and aren't bothering someone if they have their own pre-game ritual or don't want to participate, then that's cool.

it is unusual for a state university to allow religous bias but im pretty sure thats one of jerry moore's stipulations. really, who is going to argue?

The problem with that is Jerry Moore doesn't work for Liberty or Oral Roberts -- he works for Appalachian State. A publicly funded college that serves all citizens, not just Christians of a particular inclination.

being someone of the christian faith im all for it but i can totally see why a non-christian would find this foul.

If you can see that, why support it?

if a player doesnt like it then they shouldnt be playing here.

Or maybe they shouldn't be endorsing a particular religious belief.

DLS
April 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM
it's surprising to me too that no one has said anything about it yet either but jerry runs the team and i dont think anyone is going to challenge him on the subject.

i support it because im of like mindedness. they arent forcing anyone to be there.

Uncle Buck
April 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM
welcome to the bible belt

True. Then again, the only cathedral i've ever been to is Yankee Stadium. xthumbsupx

Only kidding, my money and my kids go to St. Patrick's. xnodx

Big Al
April 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM
it's surprising to me too that no one has said anything about it yet either but jerry runs the team and i dont think anyone is going to challenge him on the subject.

Considering the area, I'm sure most people agree with him.

i support it because im of like mindedness. they arent forcing anyone to be there.

No, they aren't forcing anyone to be there, but it is a powerful message to people who aren't like-minded that they won't necessarily be welcome. That is a problem as I see it.

DLS
April 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
as long as they are clearly informed (which they are since this video has been used as a recruiting tool) then it's theyre choice. no one's getting tricked into this atmosphere

its really surprising given the type of students that generally attend app --> hippie aetheists who love to protest.

i mean we're pratically PCU.

jonmac
April 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I believe that this was started by players and is not required by the coaching staff. I don't think Jerry Moore stipulates that Christianity is the required religious belief of the team or it's players. He is a Christian though, and will live his life accordingly. When he makes motivational references it only makes sense they will be Biblical for that's where he draws his motivation. I would expect that of any Christian. I would also expect that of anyone of any religion that draws their motivation from their religious beliefs. I may not agree with it but I can appreciate it. In the same respect there should be no expectation for Coach Moore to hide his beliefs. I believe the Constitution protects his rights to practice his beliefs. I don't even know why this should be an issue. Christians have to put up with the secular world everyday and are told to mind our own business when we protest. I think that can work both ways.

Having said all that, I really loved that video and can't wait 'til Labor Day Weekend.

GOAPPSGO!!!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Why do I see this thread getting moved?

That wouldn't be a problem if it was a private university, funded by private dollars.

If the players, by themselves, are getting together and saying "Who's gonna read the passage this week?" and aren't bothering someone if they have their own pre-game ritual or don't want to participate, then that's cool.

The problem with that is Jerry Moore doesn't work for Liberty or Oral Roberts -- he works for Appalachian State. A publicly funded college that serves all citizens, not just Christians of a particular inclination.

If you can see that, why support it?

Or maybe they shouldn't be endorsing a particular religious belief.

The "it's a public school" argument doesn't fly with me. It doesn't cost a dime to make a prayer before a game.

Big Al
April 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
The "it's a public school" argument doesn't fly with me. It doesn't cost a dime to make a prayer before a game.

Costs quite a bit to build a stadium, give scholarships and pay for coaches.

Big Al
April 7th, 2009, 09:24 PM
as long as they are clearly informed (which they are since this video has been used as a recruiting tool) then it's theyre choice. no one's getting tricked into this atmosphere

We probably should continue this conversation in the political lounge. As it is, I'll say that saying it's "their choice" doesn't make an exclusionary atmosphere acceptable to me.

DLS
April 8th, 2009, 05:43 AM
We probably should continue this conversation in the political lounge. As it is, I'll say that saying it's "their choice" doesn't make an exclusionary atmosphere acceptable to me.

its still related to the program.

but who is being excluded? they know before they sign anything and it's definitely not a "exclusionary atmosphere".

if it was then i would have a problem with it.

andy7171
April 8th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Alls I was saying was I wouldn't put up with someone preaching in the locker room before a game. Jeesh! :D

DLS
April 8th, 2009, 08:26 AM
back to the video:

that play right around the 44:40 mark was redic.

GATA
April 8th, 2009, 09:45 AM

If you're a non-religious guy like me...you really don't give a **** about pre-game prayers and such. You just ignore them because they mean absolutely nothing to you...it's just a ritual...a team building type of thing. However, if you're some different religion then maybe you're offended...I can't speak for those folks.

DLS
April 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM
If you're a non-religious guy like me...you really don't give a **** about pre-game prayers and such. You just ignore them because they mean absolutely nothing to you...it's just a ritual...a team building type of thing. However, if you're some different religion then maybe you're offended...I can't speak for those folks.

word

andy7171
April 8th, 2009, 10:00 AM

No. And this is coming from a guy who goes to church every Sunday...I don't want some clown preaching and reading from the Bible when I'm trying to get ready for a game.

Reign of Terrier
April 8th, 2009, 10:01 AM
No. And this is coming from a guy who goes to church every Sunday...I don't want some clown preaching and reading from the Bible when I'm trying to get ready for a game.

It's a southern thang, y'all wouldn't understand.xpeacex

andy7171
April 8th, 2009, 10:03 AM
It's a southern thang, y'all wouldn't understand.xpeacex

Fair enough. xpeacex

CharlestonAppFan
April 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM

I wouldn't think that "clown" would want you on his team so you won't have to worry xthumbsupx And there are many other "clowns" such as Coach Moore, Armanti, and others who you wouldn't like either. I'm sure you weren't serious but I had to point that out Andy :D

CrackerRiley
April 8th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Since there is so much talking about Elder reading for the bible, is it safe to assume most people haven't watched past the 10 minute mark of this video? geez, a lot went on and people find this to complain about? I can agree with the sentiment that it doesn't bother a nonreligious person such as myself, so as long as it can bring some of the players together, I'm fine with it.

andy7171
April 8th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't think that "clown" would want you on his team so you won't have to worry xthumbsupx And there are many other "clowns" such as Coach Moore, Armanti, and others who you wouldn't like either. I'm sure you weren't serious but I had to point that out Andy :D

My offensive line gave up 9 and 5 sacks my last two years at Towson. I think Armanti and I would get along just fine. xnodx xpeacex

DLS
April 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM
should all pregame rituals be scrapped if one or two players dont like it.

because i always hated doing pregame chants, i wanted to play football not be a cheerleader.

andy7171
April 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
should all pregame rituals be scrapped if one or two players dont like it.

because i always hated doing pregame chants, i wanted to play football not be a cheerleader.

Listen. I made the comment before I found out it was a team ritual to read that verse. That's fine if it is. My take was from the prespective of one guy preaching. I also wrongly called #3 a kicker. I'm not an Appy fan, although I like their colors. :D

...and truth be told, if this did happen in my locker room, I'd get up and go somewhere quiet.

WUTNDITWAA
April 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Julian Rauch, one of our most decorated kickers of all time (with the possible exception of Bjorn Nittmo), is Jewish, and apparently had no problem with it -- otherwise there were 300 other schools that would've liked to have someone with his iron leg kick for them. If Pedro Cerrano were on the team, I'm sure he could wake up his bat before the game if he desired. Just don't mess with Jobu's rum.

No biggie.

andy7171
April 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Julian Rauch, one of our most decorated kickers of all time (with the possible exception of Bjorn Nittmo), is Jewish, and apparently had no problem with it -- otherwise there were 300 other schools that would've liked to have someone with his iron leg kick for them. If Pedro Cerrano were on the team, I'm sure he could wake up his bat before the game if he desired. Just don't mess with Jobu's rum.

No biggie.

The reading is from the OLD TESTAMENT!!!!!! Why would the Jewish kicker have a problem!?! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Skjellyfetti
April 8th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Somehow I knew that this video would cause multiple pages of complaining on AGS.

DLS
April 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Somehow I knew that this video would cause multiple pages of complaining on AGS.

i love app threads

Mountaineer#96
April 8th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I knew once I saw the first 30 sec. that this baby was gonna start a fire. As a former player I can tell you that the Bible and faith were a big deal in not only in the locker room but within the team in general. No one is forced to listen or take part in anything. Coach Moore does not force people to participate at all. A vast majority of the team does take part, but those who do not are not held in contempt at all. It is a public school and the locker room although a private place everyone practices what they want as long as it doesn;t break team rules.

Uncle Buck
April 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM
My offensive line gave up 9 and 5 sacks my last two years at Towson. I think Armanti and I would get along just fine. xnodx xpeacex

Amen to that, I know first hand. You guys could definitely passblock. xthumbsupx

andy7171
April 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Amen to that, I know first hand. You guys could definitely passblock. xthumbsupx
Giving credit where creditis due, Towson State got it's a$$ kicked in a Long Island monsoon that kept us out of the I-AA playoffs in 1993 because of UB's D-line...and/or our secondary. xlolx

...at least I have victories over Uconn, Delaware and JMU to give me solice..xrolleyesxxmadx

UB I look forard to meeting you in 2010! Home or away!

...and I'll be closely watching your boys too. xlolxxeekxxbawlingx

Uncle Buck
April 9th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Giving credit where creditis due, Towson State got it's a$$ kicked in a Long Island monsoon that kept us out of the I-AA playoffs in 1993 because of UB's D-line...and/or our secondary. xlolx

If i remember correctly, you also returned the favor to us in '94.

And to make sure we don't hijack the thread...Hey, how 'bout the Mountaineers!

WUTNDITWAA
April 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
The reading is from the OLD TESTAMENT!!!!!! Why would the Jewish kicker have a problem!?! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

That makes some difference (for the reading of the passage, at least). I've yet to see the movie, but I can assume that they're not reading Isaiah 53. xreadx

andy7171
April 9th, 2009, 08:58 AM
If i remember correctly, you also returned the favor to us in '94.

And to make sure we don't hijack the thread...Hey, how 'bout the Mountaineers!

Hijacking threads is what I do best! :D

Big Dawg
April 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Great Vid!!!

hippy@GSU
April 11th, 2009, 02:51 AM
How about this Appy classic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg

DLS
April 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM

and with that i respond:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIjrBR4Ju3A xeyebrowx

hippy@GSU
April 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM
and with that i respond:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIjrBR4Ju3A xeyebrowx

What an idiot in the beginning.xnonono2x

Had to blow the dust off of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nUx5rFgzd0 - BLOWOUT, has ASU ever done this to GSU?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkjZrFo1as -Putting a crack in the Rock

Mountaineer#96
April 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM
The 2004 game in Statesboro..........we were a 6-5 team but still xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x the bus ride home was the worse part.......that and I think the jackass from the video before in the blue shirt was following us on the road.

ASU_Pads
April 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I go to church with several of App's players and Blake (the guy who was reading the Bible in the video) actually filled in for the pastor when he was out of town. Blake preached the roof off the place that Wednesday. I've also seen our old TE, Nic Cardwell, (now TE's coach and very involved with the church) preach. He used to read scripture in the locker room before he graduated. I assume he doesn't do it now b/c he is a coach and the reading of scripture is student led and student driven. I, for one, am very proud that a Christian faith is a cornerstone of the football program. Coach Moore and the staff don't push their faith on anyone or mandate the pre-game scripture, it's all the students.

T-Dog
April 11th, 2009, 10:09 PM
What an idiot in the beginning.xnonono2x

Had to blow the dust off of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nUx5rFgzd0 - BLOWOUT, has ASU ever done this to GSU?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkjZrFo1as -Putting a crack in the Rock

This makes me wish we had a highlight video of the 2005 game. The final score didn't indicate it as much (24-7) but the roles were reversed from the previous year. The Eagles ran into the Mountaineer buzzsaw that week. xnodx

And despite the claims that the game wasn't football but rather ice hockey, our 19-0 win over the 2-time defending National Champion Erk's Eagles in the 87 quarterfinals was a blowout. Erk was so confused that he wore shorts in the first half. xlolx

That's right GaSo. Erk never scored a point against us. xthumbsupx

And don't even get me started on that 59-0 drubbing back in 1937. :p

hippy@GSU
April 12th, 2009, 08:50 PM
This makes me wish we had a highlight video of the 2005 game. The final score didn't indicate it as much (24-7) but the roles were reversed from the previous year. The Eagles ran into the Mountaineer buzzsaw that week. xnodx

And despite the claims that the game wasn't football but rather ice hockey, our 19-0 win over the 2-time defending National Champion Erk's Eagles in the 87 quarterfinals was a blowout. Erk was so confused that he wore shorts in the first half. xlolx

That's right GaSo. Erk never scored a point against us. xthumbsupx

And don't even get me started on that 59-0 drubbing back in 1937. :p

What 24-7? A blowout is 54-7 =GSU in 2004. 30 point difference.xrulesx

I dontt know much about the 80's teams (accomplishments sure, who talks about losing?), wasnt born until 87. Maybe some of the old timers can pop in. But yeah, uh... you go ahead and preach about beating a 2-time defending national champion and hall of fame coach as the biggest thing you did in the 80's (quite an accomplishment). Just look at GSU's resume in the 80's as an example of what football is supposed to be.

Hell, how long has ASU had a football team? And you just won a title in 05? GSU went from scrap to champion in a matter of nanoseconds starting in 1981. It has taken you guys... an eternity.

If that video (nice video by the way) thinks the pinnacle of championship football rests in Boone, then it is about 8 hours off the mark. Come tour Six Flags over Statesboro and enjoy a history of REAL championship football that is sustained. Not the spotty type of jolt that has happened in Boone recently.

Have fun being the next Youngstown Statexbandwagonx

1937. You mean the South Georgia A&M Blue Tide or Georgia Teachers College (whatever it was before they disbanded the team during WWII), yea they sucked.

Cant wait till October. Ill be there in Boone, and hope to see a damn good game!

CrackerRiley
April 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM

hahaha! That's hilarious! Never seen that before.. xcoolx

DLS
April 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM
What 24-7? A blowout is 54-7 =GSU in 2004. 30 point difference.xrulesx

I dontt know much about the 80's teams (accomplishments sure, who talks about losing?), wasnt born until 87. Maybe some of the old timers can pop in. But yeah, uh... you go ahead and preach about beating a 2-time defending national champion and hall of fame coach as the biggest thing you did in the 80's (quite an accomplishment). Just look at GSU's resume in the 80's as an example of what football is supposed to be.

Hell, how long has ASU had a football team? And you just won a title in 05? GSU went from scrap to champion in a matter of nanoseconds starting in 1981. It has taken you guys... an eternity.

If that video (nice video by the way) thinks the pinnacle of championship football rests in Boone, then it is about 8 hours off the mark. Come tour Six Flags over Statesboro and enjoy a history of REAL championship football that is sustained. Not the spotty type of jolt that has happened in Boone recently.

Have fun being the next Youngstown Statexbandwagonx

1937. You mean the South Georgia A&M Blue Tide or Georgia Teachers College (whatever it was before they disbanded the team during WWII), yea they sucked.

Cant wait till October. Ill be there in Boone, and hope to see a damn good game!

gsu can barely hold on to half of its recruits, loses a quarterback mid-spring practice and is more than likely going to struggle to remain in the top half of the southern conference this season, and you want to claim it's the pinnacle of championship football?

you need to quit thinking about app and watchout for western.

SideLine Shooter
April 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM
gsu can barely hold on to half of its recruits, loses a quarterback mid-spring practice and is more than likely going to struggle to remain in the top half of the southern conference this season, and you want to claim it's the pinnacle of championship football?

exactly. who wants to play at gnat infested stink creek anyway?
xoutofrepx

hippy@GSU
April 13th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Did that hurt? I knew DLS would chime in. What can you expect with a post like that.

True, after a few program destabilizing decisions (throw away the 3Option, hire Brian Vangonad, who symbolized kryptonite) that set GSU way back, we have finally begun to right the ship. Recruiting higher quality players (instead of huge numbers out of necessity), APR is going up, and the stability is beginning to happen. Finally a coach stays and the players get used to one system (that system is finally taking shape). Since 2006, GSU has been a pit of horrible circumstances and I wouldn't wish it on any program (well... maybe App).xblahblahx

But the fact remains that App is nothing comparable to the GSU football program. Boone is not THE pinnacle of championship football; neither is Youngstown, Marshal, Missoula, Greenville, or wherever. The top of the Championship totem pole peeks in Statesboro, (Gnat infested, stinky, pigs ass, country hick) Georgia. It is a nonargument.

Hell, currently it rests in Richmond if you want to get the recent history thing going.

Like I said, have fun being the next YSU. A flash in the pan is all App St. is and ever will be. Deal with it.

ericsaid
April 13th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Did that hurt? I knew DLS would chime in. What can you expect with a post like that.

True, after a few program destabilizing decisions (throw away the 3Option, hire Brian Vangonad, who symbolized kryptonite) that set GSU way back, we have finally begun to right the ship. Recruiting higher quality players (instead of huge numbers out of necessity), APR is going up, and the stability is beginning to happen. Finally a coach stays and the players get used to one system (that system is finally taking shape). Since 2006, GSU has been a pit of horrible circumstances and I wouldn't wish it on any program (well... maybe App).xblahblahx

But the fact remains that App is nothing comparable to the GSU football program. Boone is not THE pinnacle of championship football; neither is Youngstown, Marshal, Missoula, Greenville, or wherever. The top of the Championship totem pole peeks in Statesboro, (Gnat infested, stinky, pigs ass, country hick) Georgia. It is a nonargument.

Hell, currently it rests in Richmond if you want to get the recent history thing going.

Like I said, have fun being the next YSU. A flash in the pan is all App St. is and ever will be. Deal with it.

Have you seen the recruiting classes App has had come in in the past couple years?

If not go look.xreadxxreadxxreadxxreadx

AlphaSigMD
April 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM
When I watched the clip, I thought "wow...this is one of the really great things about life in our country. Despite the fact that the atheist and secular intelligentsia are trying their best to destroy every bit of Judeo-Christian presence and relevance in the world, we see a group of young men unafraid to speak their faith openly."

And then I saw some of the comments posted...

Those of you who have been warped by the liberal media and the crazy 9th district court of appeals to the point where you think that there can be zero expression of Judeo-Christian ideas and beliefs in a public school or institution are forgetting that this is (at least for the time being) a free country. I have the freedom to say that God is Great and you can't do a damn thing about it. Likewise, you can tell me God doesn't exist and I honor the freedom that allows you to say such a thing. You haven't polluted me, and I haven't polluted you.

I have nothing against the atheists or any other religion for that matter, but when either the discrimination or the reverse-discrimination loonies come out and try to restrict the rights of individuals, I get a little hot under the collar.

I will fight until my dying breath to make sure that you (Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhist's, Hindu, Shinto Etc... and yes...atheists) have the right to practice (or not practice) whatever faith you choose in a way that doesn't physically harm another person. If you don't like what a person chooses or says, then don't associate with them. If you don't like what a person puts on their wall, don't don't go to their office/home. But don't for a second tell me that just by hearing a couple of words of a separate religion that you have somehow been discriminated against. As a Christian who grew up in public schools and then went to one of the most liberal state universities in the south, I am 100% positive that I heard hours more anti-Christian rhetoric than you will ever hear preaching. And you know know what...I'm still a Christian. No pollution here.

Just remember, religious freedom is what this country was founded on. The day that a man/judge/army comes my way and tries to restrict my personal religious freedom is the day the America stops being America.

Stepping down from the soap box in 3...2...1...

hippy@GSU
April 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Have you seen the recruiting classes App has had come in in the past couple years?

I can give a couple of more years (maybe tears for me) to App St. My point is the sustainable nature of success over a period of time, your success does not match up. Looking at past, present, and future here.

GSU is averaging a championship every 4.3 years, and the prospects are beginning to look good in the years to come. Just go look at the recruiting classes. App on the other hand is averaging a championship every 10 years (I started with the inception of the current playoff format in 1978). Their prospects certainly look good also, but I don't see a nice pattern of success over time. No championship history. I see App as a YSU that has a long history of ball, then a bit of success for a few years, and then a drop off.

That is why make the argument about being the pinnacle of championship football.

That is why I say that they will be a flash in the pan. My hypothesis and App fans worst nightmare. Also their worst nightmare... never hearing the end of 6>3 and never catching up to their conference brother.

I love this site. It just makes the rivalry even better!!

ncman071
April 13th, 2009, 10:27 PM
How can you say that App is the next YSU or whatever? It doesn't matter we don't have 6 titles, but it does matter that we won 3 consecutive titles and have a great shot at a 4th this year.

It's not an issue of comparing how many titles each school has. thats just stupid. GSU has a great history with 6 NC's but it doesn't mean that App hasn't had a great deal of success.

Your comment about us only having recent success doesn't make any sense. The last time i saw the stats i know that Jerry Moore went to 13 out of his first 18 seasons at App.

It's not like we are averaging 6 wins a season with the occasional superb season. Your comments are just retarted.

seantaylor
April 13th, 2009, 10:40 PM

Appy's recruiting classes are decent. Nothing compared to GSU's.

Baldy
April 13th, 2009, 11:05 PM

I did, and Georgia Southern had the most players make the SoCon All-Freshman team.

Your point? xconfusedx

Baldy
April 13th, 2009, 11:08 PM

You should probably get the facts before you open your mouth and embarrass yourself, again. xreadx

xoopsx

T-Dog
April 14th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Appy's recruiting classes are decent. Nothing compared to GSU's.

But our recruiting classes actually pan out. Not to mention you had more freshmen than any other team.

GSU is averaging a championship every 4.3 years

Says the school that hasn't won one in almost nine years. xrulesx

It's funny that GaSo fans are comparing us to Youngstown. You compare to Youngstown more than we do. Face it, you live in the past. Your tickets have images of the six titles on them as do your programs and posters. Your six flags are photographed more than your current team. You haven't won in the playoffs in seven years. Excuses are a way of life to explain your lack of winning ("our team is young", "the triple option would have beaten you", "VanGorder", "Sewark didn't get the most out of them").

Thing is, at least Youngstown had won in the playoffs in the last seven years. So really, Youngstown has done more than you have.

Good luck going 6-5/7-4 this season and missing the playoffs again.

And remember to those who say "You'll be nothing without Armanti", the same thing was said when Richie was a senior. And quite frankly, I like our chances with Pressly in 2010 at the helm. And the next QB after that and so on.

AppAlum2003
April 14th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I did, and Georgia Southern had the most players make the SoCon All-Freshman team.

Your point? xconfusedx

That's because GSU had to start a team full of Freshmen. ASU had plenty of upperclassmen already in starting spots. ASU has had the ability to redshirt a lot of players the last couple of years.

DLS
April 14th, 2009, 08:00 AM
You should probably get the facts before you open your mouth and embarrass yourself, again. xreadx

xoopsx

what facts are wrong?

everyone knows gsu has been having trouble retaining the players it recruits for more than a couple seasons at best. henton is out last i heard. and ya'll struggling is a personal opinion, sorry but its not looking good.

"xreadx xoopsx"

DLS
April 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM
here's a few quotes from a GSU fan off of Opie's blog:

"I feel sick to my stomach to see Ga. Southern football fall apart."

"I have watched GSU wither away for the last several years to the point that I have COMPLETELY lost interest but yet I still hang on hoping for the best."

. . . . doesnt exactly sound, you know . . . . championish.

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7389412999750451925&postID=6169994509198312805

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 14th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Let me see if I've got this straight: GSU...

1. plays a bajillion freshmen
2. needs 6 points in regulation to beat Wofford, ASU, and Elon and be 9-2
3. led the SoCon in passing yards with a dysfunctional OL unit that was dominated all season and a QB who isn't as good of a passer as the one we'll have this year
4. improves its APR score between 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 -

And we are in big trouble? That just doesn't add up. It's as I've said before: GSU's team is an inchoate monster.

And pay no attention to Opie. He's one of those guys that says the glass is 7/8ths empty when it's really 1/2 full. That, and he tends to be something of a sensationalist. In his latest post you can clearly see that he takes a condensed quote from Hatcher (without even bothering to find the full quote) and uses it to accuse Hatcher of lying about the starting quarterback position.

Now how 'bout those Mountaineers? Do you guys think Pressley will be as good as Williams or Edwards? Will the team do okay without Satterfield's quarterback coaching and play-calling?

WUTNDITWAA
April 14th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Points to siggy...

hippy@GSU
April 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM
But our recruiting classes actually pan out. Not to mention you had more freshmen than any other team.

Says the school that hasn't won one in almost nine years. xrulesx

It's funny that GaSo fans are comparing us to Youngstown. You compare to Youngstown more than we do. Face it, you live in the past. Your tickets have images of the six titles on them as do your programs and posters. Your six flags are photographed more than your current team. You haven't won in the playoffs in seven years. Excuses are a way of life to explain your lack of winning ("our team is young", "the triple option would have beaten you", "VanGorder", "Sewark didn't get the most out of them").

Thing is, at least Youngstown had won in the playoffs in the last seven years. So really, Youngstown has done more than you have.

Good luck going 6-5/7-4 this season and missing the playoffs again.

And remember to those who say "You'll be nothing without Armanti", the same thing was said when Richie was a senior. And quite frankly, I like our chances with Pressly in 2010 at the helm. And the next QB after that and so on.

The Youngstown thing will just have to pan out. It is my opinion, but if it doesnt I will allow you to have my oldest daughter for free. She works very hard and would be a deal on the market.

I was making the comparison by stating the fact that the old YSU was nothing compared to the 90's teams. They went up, had success, then they never made it to powerhouse level again (after Tressel). I see this with ASU. I dont see GSU as that model because of the non-spotty nature of winning. I see GSU as being a little sleepy and having to take a break from success:D

GSU is still a place that people want to play, want to beat, want to play for a title, visit because of its football tradition (even though its in Pigs Ass, GA) and judge all other success against. Even after our huge problems they still talk about this. When do you hear YSU brought up in that manner. Will ASU keep it up? I hope not. With Satterfield gone, shallow Oline depth, and the role as the SoCon's new criminal factory... I say your going to decline.

Is GSU on the way back to NORMAL, I hope so (and indications look good). Beginning to reverse the BS that got us here.

You are sadly correct about GSU's absence. Ill give you that

And please don't hate our national championship marketing. You chancellor straps those trophies to himself and runs around like an Ethiopian with a newly acquired steak. The 3 trophies are on pictures, posters, street signs and flags. And you know what... it's all in the past. You guys seriously need to stop flaunting that old news. 3peat nation is in the pastxrolleyesx

Your prediction may be accurate. I see a more complete and experienced team coming in, but the process is still ongoing. I think there will be a good chance of a playoff birth and an ass kicking in Boone this year. Close in 09, but the monster will be complete in '10 (Im starting to sound like a UGA fan).

(I have no daughter)

Reign of Terrier
April 14th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Now how 'bout those Mountaineers? Do you guys think Pressley will be as good as Williams or Edwards? Will the team do okay without Satterfield's quarterback coaching and play-calling?

not to but in to this "debate" but I would like to add:

lack of OL recruits

I shall judge neither team but do recognize that App could have some trouble in the post-Armanti era if the above problems are not addressed this season.

GSU--is improving but I don't see them being playoff potential until about 2010 and championship worthy until after that.

Baldy
April 14th, 2009, 09:50 PM
That's because GSU had to start a team full of Freshmen. ASU had plenty of upperclassmen already in starting spots. ASU has had the ability to redshirt a lot of players the last couple of years.

Ummm wrong.

The only freshmen who were starters at the beginning of the season that made the All SoCon Freshman team were KR Snipes as a true freshman and Charlie Edwards as a Redshirt Freshman. The others EARNED their starting roles later in the season by out playing UPPER classmen. One player, Dion Dubose did so by beating out an All SoCon player at his position.

Baldy
April 14th, 2009, 10:09 PM
what facts are wrong?

everyone knows gsu has been having trouble retaining the players it recruits for more than a couple seasons at best. henton is out last i heard. and ya'll struggling is a personal opinion, sorry but its not looking good.

"xreadx xoopsx"

Sorry, but by definition, facts are not wrong and the line of drivel you relayed didn't contain one single fact...and that IS a fact. xnodx

You ignorantly stated that GSU "can barely hold on to half of its recruits". The FACT is (and I stated it on this forum just a few short months ago) that since Hatcher's arrival and barring the unfortunate players who have sustained career ending injuries, 75% of our recruits are still on the team.

Your second grossly inaccurate statement was that Henton left the team midway through Spring Practice. Again, the fact say that he left the team BEFORE Spring Practice started.

You are correct about one thing...you are definitely entitled to your personal opinion, no matter how wrong it is. xlolx

Skjellyfetti
April 14th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Let's try to contain our hatred/jealously of Appalachian State and focus on a great video. xnodxxthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
April 14th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Check out this video... good stuff. There should probably be a thread about it somewhere:

http://www.vimeo.com/3976961

DLS
April 15th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Sorry, but by definition, facts are not wrong and the line of drivel you relayed didn't contain one single fact...and that IS a fact. xnodx

You ignorantly stated that GSU "can barely hold on to half of its recruits". The FACT is (and I stated it on this forum just a few short months ago) that since Hatcher's arrival and barring the unfortunate players who have sustained career ending injuries, 75% of our recruits are still on the team.

Your second grossly inaccurate statement was that Henton left the team midway through Spring Practice. Again, the fact say that he left the team BEFORE Spring Practice started.

You are correct about one thing...you are definitely entitled to your personal opinion, no matter how wrong it is. xlolx

"Now, despite his promises to right this sinking ship and end the APR woes that had plagued the program under the former regimes, it is fast becoming clear that head Coach Chris Hatcher is no better at retaining players than the last two guys. All one has to do to confirm that assertion is take a look at the number of players and recruits who have quit the team since 2007. It's not like these are all Sewak or BVG holdovers either. These are Hacther's guys who are leaving. Antonio Henton is just the highest profile of the defectors, but he is also the latest in a long line. "

not saying it's fact because im not bothering to look up the numbers but it is well known as a problem and that is a fact.

"The latest rumor out of Statesboro today is that Georgia Southern QB Antonio Henton has left the team, after having a verbal altercation with Coach Hatcher at yesterday's morning conditioning drills."

my bad, "conditioning drills" not practice. guess i should be castrated now huh.

"You are correct about one thing...you are definitely entitled to your personal opinion, no matter how wrong it is."

xcoffeex