PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra inks Akron transfer

Uncle Buck
April 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM
The word on the street is that Hofstra recently enrolled Soph TE Jose Cruz after he left Akron. One person on the CAAzone commented that at spring practice he was making plays all over the field. That will be nice, since we went back to a TE in the system, we have lacked just that, a true TE.

Supposed to be listed at 6'5" 245lbs., we'll see if that holds true in real life. Bottom line, i just hope he could play.

Seawolf97
April 5th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Nice pick up! Hopefully he will contribute this year ( Except on 9/5)xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
April 6th, 2009, 08:25 AM
We'll take anything we can from the TE position. Since it returned to the offense, we rarely use it as an option on offense. Last year we had one game where they threw two passes down the seam to our TE for big plays. Other than that we never went back to it.

On another note, there is also some rumor of a 6'4" WR from UConn that transferred in as well. We truly are becoming transfer U. Then again, in the words of Al Davis, "Just win baby!"

I-AA Fan
April 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
He could pan out. I remember him. He gave a verbal to UNC, and it did not go through academically. Then he was offered by Akron and Toledo. He came to Akron & spent a year in school, then his grades came up and he took his red shirt. He was a rivals top-50 position player in 2005. He just declared himself eligible for the draft (for some reason) as he graduated from high school in 2004. I am not certain how that works out with his transfer.

Uncle Buck
April 6th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Who knows. I did some googling and found an old article from Akron that mentioned the quality of Cruz and another kid at TE. Hopefully he has his head on straight and can remain eligible and out of trouble.

As for declaring, i think you can declare but not lose eligibility if you opt out after getting an idea of where you would go. Don't hold me to that though, i'm no authority. But if he was practicing, i have to believe he is still eligible.