PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte goes to Paln B

Monarch History
April 5th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Sounds like the 49ers are dropping back and punting.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college-football/story/640442.html

ASU
April 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I do not totally buy the economy thing.....they only got 1304 out of the initial 5400 PSL's that were required.....that they claimed would be so easy. Most of their alums are not out of work.....
Plan B.....just put a trailer on the soccer/track field and call it a football stadium....wow.
Many polls taken before they started this said that the support was not there.
Sounds as if those polls were correct.

Mountaineer#96
April 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM
People have been saying the support isnt there for years...............finally when the numbers break they are shocked? Plan B from the git go might have gained more support. You can't build anything overnight.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Plan B is just a hypothethical plan in case they don't get the support they are expecting.

Believe it or not, it is a much more positive approach than the Chancellor's pledge to 'bail out' if things dont go to plan when they had the Board meeting.

I hope they have a Plan C,D,E,F,G before they say "no more football"

danefan
April 6th, 2009, 03:54 PM
This is a better move for them. I hope they they try and run a successful FCS program first. Thats what it sounds like they may be forced to do.

OL FU
April 6th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I will be the negative one. I hope they fail. We have enough stinkin' football teams in the Carolinasxrolleyesxxlolx

Mountaineer#96
April 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Since the mid 90's they have attempted to push this thing and ask for money everywhere. The simple fact is this commuter based school doesn't have the support, nor do the students for the most part have the time to support it.

AppMan
April 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Looks like the Big East can put that invite on hold for a few more years.

ASU
April 6th, 2009, 09:08 PM
My youngest son's best friend just graduated from UNCC (Charlotte) and he WENT there because he doesn't like football. Evidently a lot of people go there because they do not like sports, or care that much about them. Funny thing is, his family moved from near me in Charlotte to live in Boone,NC about four years ago....then came back to Charlotte to "go away to college".

Appinator
April 6th, 2009, 10:02 PM
UNCC is full of kids who buy opening day tickets to fast and furious, sport mustaches that don't fill out, and love pokemon.

I'm with OL FU, we have way too many FCS schools in the area.

DSUrocks07
April 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM
UNCC is full of kids who buy opening day tickets to fast and furious, sport mustaches that don't fill out, and love pokemon.

xoopsx

Touchdown Yosef
April 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM

I believe that is the truest description of a UNCC male that I have ever heard. Hiliarious. You forgot Cargo shorts jnco jeans.

Appfan_in_CAAland
April 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM

I took some classes at UNCC for work when I lived down there. This is absolutely the best description I have read of UNCC guys.

CID1990
April 9th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I would be in favor of bringing them into the SoCon if we can kick out cofc.

Mountaineer#96
April 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM

AGREED .............. xnodx

ASU
April 9th, 2009, 09:09 PM

Hell we could just kick them out anyway.....what the heck. How about Samford also, and UNC-G.

ChooChoo
April 9th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Kick out Samford, UNCG, Davidson, and C of C.
Add Jaksonville State, Georgia State, Charlotte, and Coastal Carolina.
I could actually deal with that for awhile instead of worrying about moving to FBS. :)

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Their bball team averages 6000 fans per home game.. So their football crowd will probably be good for FCS as well.

thefortyniner
April 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Plan B was a temporary option from the start to begin with. Now, rather than immediately going ahead with construction on the on-campus stadium, we're going to build up an existing facility until more money is there.

And, as the crappy Appie's start to see their one crown jewel, the single thing that they can hold over the head of the green-and white fading away... the jealous insults begin to spew.

They question our fanbase. Our fanbase was questioned by a school who builds an 8,000 seat arena and then puts tarps over 1/4 of it. Congratulations on knocking us off this year, it was great to think back while I was on the court following the Xavier game to realize that we were your biggest win of the year. So gratifying...

Enjoy it for the next few years, Appies... think about the future, when you have to recruit kids to chose freezing their balls off in the 'quaint' town of Boone, NC over playing in your state's largest city. Enjoy coming up with a new argument for the Niner faithful, now that "we have football" has lost its meaning.

And while you're describing the Charlotte male, put the bong down, pull your hair back out of your eyes, and notice that rather than JNCOs and a half-assed moustache, I've got a pair of shorts (isn't it in the 30's up there now?) and a t-shirt, and a full beard. And unlike Yosef, I don't have mange.

As far as kicking CofC out for us to join the SoCon, you know where we stand: football only, or nothing. We're not going to pull an ACC and sell our basketball souls for football. Dropping from a respected, top-ten RPI conference to the SoCon? Ha, I'd rather drop football.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 14th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I think it's also relevant to mention that Charlotte is one of the few programs that is starting with a multi-million dollar investment. Multi-million dollars for their facilities and multi-million from their students via referendum. I tip my hat to them. Once they get started and established, they will be a problem for the other NC schools (FBS and FCS). As mentioned before, their bball team averages 6k in a bad year, their fb team will average alot more.

Most programs started off with humble backgrounds (ie 11 people getting together to form a 'football club', or playing on a dirt field with no stands). Charlotte's plan b might be a setback from their goal to be a 'instant-made' program, but it will also add a little bit of pride and tradition to their program. Ofcourse, its easy for people to mock the fact they aren't going to start playing immediately in a brand new HOK built stadium (or is it?) but how many programs actually had that option?

ASUG8
April 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Plan B was a temporary option from the start to begin with. Now, rather than immediately going ahead with construction on the on-campus stadium, we're going to build up an existing facility until more money is there.

And, as the crappy Appie's start to see their one crown jewel, the single thing that they can hold over the head of the green-and white fading away... the jealous insults begin to spew.

They question our fanbase. Our fanbase was questioned by a school who builds an 8,000 seat arena and then puts tarps over 1/4 of it. Congratulations on knocking us off this year, it was great to think back while I was on the court following the Xavier game to realize that we were your biggest win of the year. So gratifying...

Enjoy it for the next few years, Appies... think about the future, when you have to recruit kids to chose freezing their balls off in the 'quaint' town of Boone, NC over playing in your state's largest city. Enjoy coming up with a new argument for the Niner faithful, now that "we have football" has lost its meaning.

And while you're describing the Charlotte male, put the bong down, pull your hair back out of your eyes, and notice that rather than JNCOs and a half-assed moustache, I've got a pair of shorts (isn't it in the 30's up there now?) and a t-shirt, and a full beard. And unlike Yosef, I don't have mange.

As far as kicking CofC out for us to join the SoCon, you know where we stand: football only, or nothing. We're not going to pull an ACC and sell our basketball souls for football. Dropping from a respected, top-ten RPI conference to the SoCon? Ha, I'd rather drop football.

Excellent first post - you're going to make a LOT of friends here xoopsx
I know four UNCC fans, and NONE of them follow UNCC athletics - maybe that's just my experience, but experiences like this help you make some pretty strong assumptions about the fanbase.

By the way, you forgot to mention moonshine in your generalization of ASU. Spend a little time in "quaint" Boone, especially on a gameday. We may be a smaller school but I'll guarantee that you'll find more campus activity nearly any day than at the school on the outskirts of the state's largest city. Does the "C" still stand for Charlotte or is it Concord or Cornelius? I forget.....xwhistlex

OL FU
April 14th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Ha, I'd rather drop football.

Sounds like a good start:p

and welcome to the boardxnodx

thefortyniner
April 14th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I know four UNCC fans, and NONE of them follow UNCC athletics - maybe that's just my experience, but experiences like this help you make some pretty strong assumptions about the fanbase.

By the way, you forgot to mention moonshine in your generalization of ASU. Spend a little time in "quaint" Boone, especially on a gameday. We may be a smaller school but I'll guarantee that you'll find more campus activity nearly any day than at the school on the outskirts of the state's largest city. Does the "C" still stand for Charlotte or is it Concord or Cornelius? I forget.....xwhistlex

Looks like this board is half Appies... I'm not here to make friends.

Sorry about the shine, didn't mean to sell your substance abuses short. And think about what you said... "You know four Charlotte fans, and none of them follow Charlotte athletics." Well, if they don't follow athletics, then how are they fans? Debate team groupies?

And I have spent time up at UNCB... I actually remember turning the Library green. That place is a lonely bright light on such a dim, dull town.

ASUG8
April 14th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Looks like this board is half Appies... I'm not here to make friends.

Sorry about the shine, didn't mean to sell your substance abuses short. And think about what you said... "You know four Charlotte fans, and none of them follow Charlotte athletics." Well, if they don't follow athletics, then how are they fans? Debate team groupies?

And I have spent time up at UNCB... I actually remember turning the Library green. That place is a lonely bright light on such a dim, dull town.

They are UNCC grads, not UNCC fans - my mistake. They all follow other teams and are fans of those teams.

We have a smack forum too, if you want to try that one. xsmiley_wix

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Not trying to get in the middle of this NC showdown.. but this post kinda shoots itself in the foot.

How can you base your judgement of a school on 4 fan/non-fans? That didn't make any sense. Kinda like if a planes crashes, where do you bury the suvivors. Har!

If you want to make assumptions, then I would make it in the sports they currently support. In Basketball, they average over 6,000 fans. Which isn't bad at all. ASU's website says they averaged only 2500 the last 2 years. ASU does average 25,000 in football. I don't know how that works or how 22,000 fans lose interest so quickly in their school but we'd have to assume that Charlotte will have a good fan base.

If you take the people who pledged to buy FSLs (5000+), the active student body, the alumni who will watch but not donate/pledge, the opposing team fans and Charlotte locals, their stadium could fill up pretty easily.

OL FU
April 14th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Not trying to get in the middle of this NC showdown.. but this post kinda shoots itself in the foot.

How can you base your judgement of a school on 4 fan/non-fans? That didn't make any sense. Kinda like if a planes crashes, where do you bury the suvivors. Har!

If you want to make assumptions, then I would make it in the sports they currently support. In Basketball, they average over 6,000 fans. Which isn't bad at all. ASU's website says they averaged only 2500 the last 2 years. ASU does average 25,000 in football. I don't know how that works or how 22,000 fans lose interest so quickly in their school but we'd have to assume that Charlotte will have a good fan base.

If you take the people who pledged to buy FSLs (5000+), the active student body, the alumni who will watch but not donate/pledge, the opposing team fans and Charlotte locals, their stadium could fill up pretty easily.

And welcome to the board to you tooxnodx

PS, I judge the Citadel by one fan that I know quite well. Anything else about the school or its fans pales by comparisonxlolx

ASUG8
April 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Surprisingly, I don't disagree with much of your post. I think I corrected my "fan" errror - see above. I have spent a significant amount of time at UNCC when my friends were in architecture school - I'd come down to visit for 3+ yrs, but we never ONCE did anything on campus from a sports perspective - my friends and their roomates always referred to UNCC as a suitcase college and the weekend campus activity seemed to support that perspective. UNCC has had some success with their basketball program over the years which shows that there is some potential for on campus sports, but it seems that most football programs begin organically (except USF and a handful of others) and take years to get the fanbase in place. I'm not blasting UNCC - it's a good school. Maybe they can start up a strong program immediately - that's for time to tell.
I don't think ASU had a strong basketball tradition even when Buzz Peterson coached them to the NCAA first round. Football has seemingly always been king in my experience at ASU although many sports are offered. UNCG has a decent basketball program and a strong soccer following. IMO UNCC has always wanted to compete on the next tier and not be relegated to one of the UNCx campuses (even wanting to drop the UNC part altogether at one point IIRC?). They have the numbers both on campus and as alumni, it's just a matter of determining the interest level for on-campus football and the level of committment the university, alumni, and student body have to supporting them. My $.02.

thefortyniner
April 14th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Surprisingly, I don't disagree with much of your post. I think I corrected my "fan" errror - see above. I have spent a significant amount of time at UNCC when my friends were in architecture school - I'd come down to visit for 3+ yrs, but we never ONCE did anything on campus from a sports perspective - my friends and their roomates always referred to UNCC as a suitcase college and the weekend campus activity seemed to support that perspective. UNCC has had some success with their basketball program over the years which shows that there is some potential for on campus sports, but it seems that most football programs begin organically (except USF and a handful of others) and take years to get the fanbase in place. I'm not blasting UNCC - it's a good school. Maybe they can start up a strong program immediately - that's for time to tell.
I don't think ASU had a strong basketball tradition even when Buzz Peterson coached them to the NCAA first round. Football has seemingly always been king in my experience at ASU although many sports are offered. UNCG has a decent basketball program and a strong soccer following. IMO UNCC has always wanted to compete on the next tier and not be relegated to one of the UNCx campuses (even wanting to drop the UNC part altogether at one point IIRC?). They have the numbers both on campus and as alumni, it's just a matter of determining the interest level for on-campus football and the level of committment the university, alumni, and student body have to supporting them. My $.02.

That would be your first fallacy. If your experiences at Charlotte (we are not UNCC, the UNCC acronym was done away with in the late 90's) was with an architecture student, then you really won't get much of an experience. My girlfriend is a third year architecture student, and I would be too... except that I enjoy sleep and sports. An architecture student has no time for either of these. Sad but true fact, most architecture students don't grow attached to their school's athletics, they don't have time to attend games so they keep following their childhood teams. I'm trying to get the students in the SoA more involved in on-campus activities, especially sports... but when school is a 10 am-2 am job 7 days a week, it's hard to convince them to make time.

As far as dropping the UNC, we're still trying to do it. A similar, grassroots movement similar to the football push here, has started and has gained a lot of momentum over the last few years. You're very right about us not wanting to be relegated to a UNCx campus... how would you feel if the system told you to change your name to the University of North Carolina at Boone? "UNCC" was great in the 60's when we were a little-known commuter college trying to make it in the world, but now we have grown to a large research institution and are trying to shed that little-known commuter college stigma.

All this is neither here nor there, really. The issue with funding is coming in a large part from the fact that the majority of FSL pledges came from those who led the push for football: current students and recent graduates, mostly under thirty and new to their careers. This is also the demographic that has been hardest hit by the recession, as we all know the newest on the job is the first to get the axe. Don't you worry, we're not dropping back to punt. We're just running the ball instead of going deep.

ASUG8
April 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM
To fortyniners point on the effort to change names from Wiki:

University name

The official name of the university is "The University of North Carolina at Charlotte." "Charlotte" and "UNC Charlotte" (no hyphen) are both acceptable nicknames for the university, but the athletic department has used Charlotte exclusively for its sports teams since 2000. The school is also referred to as "UNCC", though the administration prefers that this not be used officially. Issues of school identity persist and have led many people, including Charlotte Mayor and former gubernatorial candidate Pat McCrory, to call for a name change to "The University of Charlotte." There is a faction at the University which does not believe that these reasons are sufficient for the name to be changed. The group, which includes current Chancellor Philip Dubois, cites arguments such as a fear of the alienation of alumni, the fact that the University of North Carolina system's name is so prestigious, and the cost of such a change during difficult economic times.

DLS
April 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM
i cant wait for the appstate/uncc rivalry to begin. this is going to be legen (wait for it) dary. ive been wishing this into existence since i was a freshman. with the amount of app alum already in charlotte they wont even be able to have a home game against us.

i hope we can schedule their first game with them so those stupid "UNCC FOOTBALL: undefeated since 19xx" shirts can finally stop being worn around town.

Saint3333
April 14th, 2009, 03:04 PM
UNCC talking smack to a 3-time national champion who average 30K per game before they play one game. Wait a couple years and come back when you have a team and have the letters ASU on your schedule.

thefortyniner
April 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM
UNCC talking smack to a 3-time national champion who average 30K per game before they play one game. Wait a couple years and come back when you have a team and have the letters ASU on your schedule.

You and yours dished it out first. You guys all seem to love talking smack, but every time I've thrown it back, you just run for cover.

As far as your "challenge", I for one can't wait for our basketball rivalries to spill out onto the gridiron. Of course I don't expect to beat you guys... doesn't mean I'm gonna shut up. Actually, you know what... I'll go ahead and start a wager. You beat us on the gridiron, and I'll pay to have Yosef's costume dry cleaned. God knows he needs it, I could smell him from fifteen feet away when I went up there.

Appinator
April 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM
http://hpcsc.appstate.edu/images/pagemaster/boone.jpg

Yes, why would anyone want to go to school there? I bet you can't even wear cargo-shorts in December at a place like that.

If UNCC ever finally gets a football team on the field, people better buy stock in glow stick companies, because they are going to have one heck of a rave. I gotta go though, I'm dropping by their campus to see if there is a place where I can get nitro put on my Accord.

Touchdown Yosef
April 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
2 a days in 95 degree weather or 75 degree weather? I can't decide.

thefortyniner
April 14th, 2009, 04:51 PM
So where does the cargo shorts, half-staches, and Pokemon come from anyway?

I guess you're right though... Boone is great... especially if you're into the self-satisfaction of knowing that your town wouldn't exist if your school wasn't there. All hail thee, Yocissus.

Touchdown Yosef
April 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM

I guess you're right though... Boone is great... especially if you're into the self-satisfaction of knowing that your town wouldn't exist if your school wasn't there. All hail thee, Yocissus.

Probably better than having an entire city ignore you even though you are there.

thefortyniner
April 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Probably better than having an entire city ignore you even though you are there.

Dagger. It's hard to get people to notice you when the only thing that gets printed in your city is about those baby blue s---heads to the east.

I dislike App... I hate Davidson... but I aboslutely loathe and detest Chapel Hill and their legions of toothless, ignorant "fans" who think they're "winners."

I'll talk smack to an Appie, then have a beer with him. I'll tell a Wildcat where to shove it, and then be on my way. But a Hole who's never even set foot on campus at Chapel Hill, (half of the Observer staff) I'd just as soon punch than look at.

Damn it, now you've got my blood boiling.

Green Cookie Monster
April 14th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Dagger. It's hard to get people to notice you when the only thing that gets printed in your city is about those baby blue s---heads to the east.

I dislike App... I hate Davidson... but I aboslutely loathe and detest Chapel Hill and their legions of toothless, ignorant "fans" who think they're "winners."

I'll talk smack to an Appie, then have a beer with him. I'll tell a Wildcat where to shove it, and then be on my way. But a Hole who's never even set foot on campus at Chapel Hill, (half of the Observer staff) I'd just as soon punch than look at.

Huh, not a UNCx fan or Boone fan, but UNC Chapel Hill is a winner. Check your recent sports section and they are the oldest public school in the East with many distinguished alumni. Boone is cool but it reminds me of the movie, 'A coal miners daughter'. Talk about toothless people in those hills, look no farther.

thefortyniner
April 15th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Huh, not a UNCx fan or Boone fan, but UNC Chapel Hill is a winner. Check your recent sports section and they are the oldest public school in the East with many distinguished alumni. Boone is cool but it reminds me of the movie, 'A coal miners daughter'. Talk about toothless people in those hills, look no farther.

I don't read the sports section here. They ignore the D1 school in the city limits to overpublicize the school three hours from here. I understand that there are many Chapel Hill alums here, but there are just too many of these:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h188/Charlottedude/CavemanTHFan2.png

I'm sure you've heard from these guys... You know, the ones who talk down to you because you graduated from a school other than the one that they watch on TV...

OL FU
April 15th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I don't read the sports section here. They ignore the D1 school in the city limits to overpublicize the school three hours from here. ...

Well in that case, welcome to the FCS:(xthumbsupx

Saint3333
April 15th, 2009, 07:58 AM
You and yours dished it out first. You guys all seem to love talking smack, but every time I've thrown it back, you just run for cover.

As far as your "challenge", I for one can't wait for our basketball rivalries to spill out onto the gridiron. Of course I don't expect to beat you guys... doesn't mean I'm gonna shut up. Actually, you know what... I'll go ahead and start a wager. You beat us on the gridiron, and I'll pay to have Yosef's costume dry cleaned. God knows he needs it, I could smell him from fifteen feet away when I went up there.

No one is running from the UNCC football except for your own fans.

That smell your enjoying is the scent of rich mahogany from those three national championship he's carrying.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM
LOL

I would love to see an ASU vs Charlotte game. If the fans have the same passion as the people on this forum, then it'll be great.

gophoenix
April 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I am finding the thread funny. I almost went to both App and UNCC before choosing Elon. Ironic in all senses.

App and Elon won over UNCC because they didn't have football. I can't be the only fan like that....

Touchdown Yosef
April 15th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I am finding the thread funny. I almost went to both App and UNCC before choosing Elon. Ironic in all senses.

App and Elon won over UNCC because they didn't have football. I can't be the only fan like that....

I'm sure your not I never considered Charlotte or Wilmington for that reason alone.

DX Man
April 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM

True college towns have a GREAT atmosphere. You are right by insinuating that a TRUE college town revolves around the university. That's a good thing. North Carolina only has two true college towns, Boone & chapel hill. All the other universities in the state are either in an area where they are not the main focus or in a remote area with no town at all.

"Why go to the hill when you can head for the MOUNTAINS!"

DLS
April 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM
LOL

I would love to see an ASU vs Charlotte game. If the fans have the same passion as the people on this forum, then it'll be great.

im not saying they would need to have swat present but some kind of security with tasers and batons would have to be there

WUTNDITWAA
April 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Finally, a post on which I can agree. xprost2x

appmaj
April 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I'm sure your not I never considered Charlotte or Wilmington for that reason alone.

I chose App over Wilmington because of football.

I would have done either over Charlotte because I wanted to go to College xcoolx

Seriusly though UNCC was too close to home and I wanted to go somewhere I could get a scholarship and watch football

thefortyniner
April 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Damn it, I fail today. I'm wearing cargo shorts...

By the way, what do Appies wear? Capris?

ASUG8
April 16th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Toboggans.

thefortyniner
April 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Toboggans.

Well played.

No shorts at all? Must be a sad existence...

ASUG8
April 16th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Well played.

July 4 - that's summer. xrolleyesx

thefortyniner
April 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM
July 4 - that's summer. xrolleyesx

And yet, cargo shorts were a basis of the Appie trash talk... counterproductive much?

ASUG8
April 16th, 2009, 09:48 AM
And yet, cargo shorts were a basis of the Appie trash talk... counterproductive much?

Wasn't me.

Appstate29
April 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Well played.

60 degrees and sunny, trust me the shorts are out today (and even better, the skirts), tomorrow is going to be even better, time to hit the links. As a native Charlottean, trust me when I tell you a mediocre day in Boone is better than the best day in Concord ;)

anyway, back on topic, I think that a UNCC-ASU rivalry will be good for both schools (if UNCC can get off the ground). In the first few years, UNCC will provide ASU with an easy win, and UNCC will get some exposure in a city with a large number of ASU football fans. In later years, I think UNCC and ASU can make attractive partners to an FBS conference. But I think UNCC fans are a little crazy if they think that UNCC football is going to somehow adversely affect ASU football. In a city with over 1M metro, a few thousand fans is a pretty paltry number. When I'm back home (in South Charlotte, granted) seeing ASU apparel and merchandise is just about as common as seeing UNC stuff. UNCC is a rare sight. I guarantee, much to your chagrin, that there is many times more ASU apparel worn on UNCC campus than UNCC apparel worn here.

gophoenix
April 16th, 2009, 12:00 PM
60 degrees and sunny, trust me the shorts are out today (and even better, the skirts), tomorrow is going to be even better, time to hit the links. As a native Charlottean, trust me when I tell you a mediocre day in Boone is better than the best day in Concord ;)

anyway, back on topic, I think that a UNCC-ASU rivalry will be good for both schools (if UNCC can get off the ground). In the first few years, UNCC will provide ASU with an easy win, and UNCC will get some exposure in a city with a large number of ASU football fans. In later years, I think UNCC and ASU can make attractive partners to an FBS conference. But I think UNCC fans are a little crazy if they think that UNCC football is going to somehow adversely affect ASU football. In a city with over 1M metro, a few thousand fans is a pretty paltry number. When I'm back home (in South Charlotte, granted) seeing ASU apparel and merchandise is just about as common as seeing UNC stuff. UNCC is a rare sight. I guarantee, much to your chagrin, that there is many times more ASU apparel worn on UNCC campus than UNCC apparel worn here.

It might affect App recruiting.

DLS
April 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM

that depends on the type of players they go after

thefortyniner
April 16th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Sad, but true. Think you could send a few transfer applications my way? They're really not welcome here...

Saint3333
April 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM

It could affect the majority of SoCon recruiting, not just ASU.

Mountaineer
April 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
It could affect the majority of SoCon recruiting, not just ASU.

Could happen eventually, but I'm certainly not ready to engage panic mode over the 49ers and "Plan B". Personally, I hope football in Charlotte is a failure. There are already too many Division I schools playing ball in the Carolinas already.

I don't think football at UNCC is suddenly going to make them relevant in the area either. We'll continue to get our fair share of Charlotte recruits regardless. It's not like Boone is on Mars. We're an hour and half down 321 to Charlotte and an hour and a half down 421 to Winston-Salem/Greensboro. Certainly not an unreasonable distance for the kids wanting to put a little distance between themselves and mommy and daddy. xsmiley_wix

thefortyniner
April 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Could happen eventually, but I'm certainly not ready to engage panic mode over the 49ers and "Plan B". Personally, I hope football in Charlotte is a failure. There are already too many Division I schools playing ball in the Carolinas already.

I don't think football at UNCC is suddenly going to make them relevant in the area either. We'll continue to get our fair share of Charlotte recruits regardless. It's not like Boone is on Mars. We're an hour and half down 321 to Charlotte and an hour and a half down 421 to Winston-Salem/Greensboro. Certainly not an unreasonable distance for the kids wanting to put a little distance between themselves and mommy and daddy. xsmiley_wix

That's a pretty crappy way to look at it. You guys are playing this card that you won't be threatened in the least by us hitting the gridiron, so why would it matter to you at all?

ASU
April 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
UNCC just does NOT have their own fans and alumni supporting them for football.
Nothing else to be said. A lot of talk, but that is all it is. Recent non-sale of PSL's proves that.

Touchdown Yosef
April 16th, 2009, 11:49 PM

How bout normal shorts like the rest of American men. Leave the cargo shorts and drawstring pants at home. Maybe you should just burn them.

By the way shave your mustache, it isn't ever going to fill in and they were only cool in the 70's.

all in fun of the future uncc App rival

Seriously though burn the cargo shorts

DLS
April 17th, 2009, 06:21 AM
UNCC just does NOT have their own fans and alumni supporting them for football.
Nothing else to be said. A lot of talk, but that is all it is. Recent non-sale of PSL's proves that.

i something else to say to that . . . . . "Wells Fargo" "Bank of America"

. . . at the moment things are moving slow on the job market front here in charlotte. things are tough all over.

Hooner49
April 18th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Personally, I hope football in Charlotte is a failure.

I love how app fans are quick to dismiss our football efforts. You suddenly became relevant in the world of football after 70 years and are afraid of a little local competition. I personally hope we play you guys every season.

Touchdown Yosef
April 18th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I love how app fans are quick to dismiss our football efforts. You suddenly became relevant in the world of football after 70 years and are afraid of a little local competition. I personally hope we play you guys every season.

I don't think anyone is afraid of a little competition. Most fans who hope for failure either don't like Uncc for whatever reason or are concerned about the massive number of division one football programs in the state. No one is afraid of the competition you would bring. We also hope we play every year, preferably at your place, it would be like an extra home game for us. It really isn't an issue of competition we get plenty of that in the Socon and with our OOC schedule. It will make it harder for some of the small programs to share less talented recruits or hurt recruiting budgets by recruiting farther and farther away.

jonmac
April 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM

I love how UNCC, or Charlotte, or U of Charlotte, or whatever it wants to be called, who has never had a football program, is so quick to think you will be automatically relevant enough to have such huge aspirations from the getgo. What has become your "plan B" should have been your "plan A" to begin with. And it didn't take winning one, or three, national championships to become relevant. Do your homework before you start throwing stones. App has been a perennial Southern Conference contender for some time now. That has made us relevant for longer than since we started winning championships. I hope Charlotte does well and the ASU/Charlotte rivalry becomes great. Just don't try to start flexing muscles that you have yet to develop.

thefortyniner
April 19th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I love how UNCC, or Charlotte, or U of Charlotte, or whatever it wants to be called, who has never had a football program, is so quick to think you will be automatically relevant enough to have such huge aspirations from the getgo. What has become your "plan B" should have been your "plan A" to begin with. And it didn't take winning one, or three, national championships to become relevant. Do your homework before you start throwing stones. App has been a perennial Southern Conference contender for some time now. That has made us relevant for longer than since we started winning championships. I hope Charlotte does well and the ASU/Charlotte rivalry becomes great. Just don't try to start flexing muscles that you have yet to develop.

U of Charlotte soon enough. In the meantime, just Charlotte. Thanks for asking.

thefortyniner
April 19th, 2009, 10:26 AM
How bout normal shorts like the rest of American men. Leave the cargo shorts and drawstring pants at home. Maybe you should just burn them.

By the way shave your mustache, it isn't ever going to fill in and they were only cool in the 70's.

all in fun of the future uncc App rival

Seriously though burn the cargo shorts

Should I pop my collar too, while I'm at it?

Touchdown Yosef
April 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Should I pop my collar too, while I'm at it?

please don't it screams douche. keep trying though your getting there.

thefortyniner
April 19th, 2009, 11:49 AM
please don't it screams douche. keep trying though your getting there.

Any other fashion tips for me? Sounds like I'm in dire need...

Hooner49
April 19th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Any other fashion tips for me? Sounds like I'm in dire need...

If you're heading up to Booneville, flannel is in order.

jonmac
April 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM
If you're heading up to Booneville, flannel is in order.

You'll have a little trouble finding Kidd Brewer Stadium in Booneville but you're right, they do wear a lot of flannel in Yadkin County.

Yet another Charlottan displaying their ignorance of NC geography outside of Charlotte.xsmhx

Appstate29
April 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Sad, but true. Think you could send a few transfer applications my way? They're really not welcome here...

never really understood the obsession you guys have with other people wearing other schools gear on campus. If you kicked out every student who wore other schools gear, you wouldn't have many students. In fact, wouldn't at App either, or probably many other Universities. Most of the people I know at UNC even have an App t-shirt or some other university. Its dumb to go crazy on people who wear other schools gear on campus, I can understand at a sporting event, but just on campus makes you sound jealous and desperate, and does your school a disservice.

thefortyniner
April 19th, 2009, 07:26 PM
never really understood the obsession you guys have with other people wearing other schools gear on campus. If you kicked out every student who wore other schools gear, you wouldn't have many students. In fact, wouldn't at App either, or probably many other Universities. Most of the people I know at UNC even have an App t-shirt or some other university. Its dumb to go crazy on people who wear other schools gear on campus, I can understand at a sporting event, but just on campus makes you sound jealous and desperate, and does your school a disservice.

Says the Appie poster with a Liberty avatar...xoopsx

proasu89
April 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Ol 29 lost a bet xlolx

BTW, nice sig xthumbsupx

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Maybe all those people at Charlotte wearing Duke shirts lost a bet too.

DLS
April 19th, 2009, 09:11 PM

damn, right for the kidneys.

thefortyniner
April 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM

Really don't see much Duke stuff here. It's mostly the Chapel Hill stuff that bothers me. As far as why I don't like it, it's because I think it's a slap to the face of the school... it's like saying "My school isn't good enough for me to show any pride in it."

I would rather go to a school of 18,000 students who all have pride in their own school, than a school of 24,000 where you have 6,000 who see their school as nothing more than a 'means to a degree' and would really rather be at such-and-such other school. While it may be an idealistic point of view, that doesn't stop me from being the guy to call somebody out on it.

WileECoyote06
April 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Really don't see much Duke stuff here. It's mostly the Chapel Hill stuff that bothers me. As far as why I don't like it, it's because I think it's a slap to the face of the school... it's like saying "My school isn't good enough for me to show any pride in it."

I would rather go to a school of 18,000 students who all have pride in their own school, than a school of 24,000 where you have 6,000 who see their school as nothing more than a 'means to a degree' and would really rather be at such-and-such other school. While it may be an idealistic point of view, that doesn't stop me from being the guy to call somebody out on it.

I agree with you, and am quick to tell freshmen not to wear the shirts of other schools on campus.

One kid told me that since he was from Miami, he was supporting his hometown Hurricanes by wearing a Hurricanes shirt. I told him, next time you go home, snap a picture of any student wearing an NCCU shirt.

He got the picture.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 20th, 2009, 02:01 AM
We get the same type of 'school spirit' at Cal State Fullerton. We are in the same television market of UCLA and USC so we have alot of students who wear their clothing and attend their sporting events.

However, many people in our area wear orange and blue outfits mainly due to HCO and other labels that are operating in orange county. We started a "wear Orange" campaign and it has been sucessful. Students are showing up wearing orange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0NW_0JRw0M&feature=player_embedded

2 Years ago, we had no such thing as a 'student section'. With the help of our "bring back football committee" and the "orange curtain" we have blocked off 3 sections of our gym for the students... The school pride is getting strong..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOcBfYrcX6Y&feature=player_embedded this brought a tear to my eye (the min mark)...

Anyways, Charlotte is a few years ahead of us in their student support. When football comes to play, and Charlotte schedules ASU and a couple of other NC schools, i bet the students will show their true allegiance to Charlotte.

Appstate29
April 21st, 2009, 11:08 AM

lost a bet with a liberty poster, have to have this avatar until start of next season :( . Still my point is valid.