PDA

View Full Version : Last I-AA Game on ABC, NBC or CBS

TexasTerror
November 27th, 2005, 08:26 PM
A topic on another thread brought this up...

What was the last I-AA game on ABC, NBC or CBS outside of the Bayou Classic that was shown nationally?

Was Yale-Harvard ever on one of the big three?

I know SHSU-Alcorn St in 1994 with Air McNair piloting the way was picked up on ABC for regional coverage when he was getting all that publicity down there...

Did they ever show the I-AA championship game on CBS? I'm a younger I-AA fan, so if they did, I wouldn't know...

SU Jag
November 27th, 2005, 08:31 PM
The D-1AA Championship game should be on one of the major networks! Its a darn shame that its not :bang:

TexasTerror
November 27th, 2005, 08:33 PM
The D-1AA Championship game should be on one of the major networks! Its a darn shame that its not :bang:

CBS would be the most likely network since they have whatever contract it is that has them showing those spring sport and fall sport recap shows as well as the Div II BKB championship and some other oddball NCAA shows they've had on their network...

Not like they have anything else playing on Saturday in December except when NFL starts playing Saturday games...

Husky Alum
November 27th, 2005, 08:35 PM
In the 1980s when ABC did their regional games of the week, I remember a Yale-Brown game being on regional TV on ABC. There may have been others.

I don't know if Y-H was ever on National TV on a national network, to be honest. I remember it being on PBS for a couple of years, but was never sure if it was a National Broadcast.

I think a bunch of I-AA title games were on national "free" TV.

Umass74
November 27th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I watched the 1978 playoffs on ABC. UMass beat Nevada 44-21 (I think it was an ABC Regional game). The National Championship against FAMU was a national game, I believe also on ABC.

GAD
November 27th, 2005, 08:52 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, (I am in noway attempting to bash I-AA)
but the I-AA title game just does not get good ratings that is the reason it was moved to Friday night anyway.
If it was up to me I would play the play-offs as usual but move the championship to bowl week (Dec. 26-31)I think it would make for a much better game and better TV ratings.

ngineer
November 27th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I believe ABC did the coverage for he early years of the I-AA playoffs before ESPN got involved. I remember seeing Lehigh play Murray State and Eastern Kentucky back in 1979, I think, during those playoffs. ABC also covered the D-II National Finals in 1977 when we won the D-II title. Art Fleming did the play by play--I remember only because he also came to the team's awards banquet.

Baldy
November 27th, 2005, 09:44 PM
I know CBS did the NC game(s) in 1989 and/or 1990. I have both on DVD.....When I feel like watching football again, I'll let you know. :)

Golden Eagle
November 27th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Not like they (CBS) have anything else playing on Saturday in December except when NFL starts playing Saturday games...

College basketball. And, the NFL on Saturdays thing is the exact reason why the I-AA Title game is on Fridays, so as not to have to compete with the NFL.

Killsback
November 27th, 2005, 10:02 PM
CBS televised the SIU/Nevada Reno semi-final in 1983 and ABC with Keith Jackson at the mic televised the championhip game from the Citadel when we beat Western Carolina 43-7.

mainejeff
November 27th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I remember seeing Maine at Rhode Island on CBS in the early 80's (Rhode Island was very good back then). Probably a regional telecast, but it was definitely CBS.

catamount man
November 27th, 2005, 10:42 PM
CBS showed the WCU-Furman 1983 semifinal game from Greenville, SC. I have it on tape and to hear Verne Lundquist talk about WCU is awesome. I gotta find that championship game vs SIU. Even though we got ripped, to hear Keith Jackson calling a WCU game would be awesome. I was 8 in 1983, so I don't remember watching that championship game, but I do remember the semifinal win over Furman and a good friend of mine has actually made a copy for me, and believe it or not, the tape is still in good condition to be a game from December 1983. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Baldy
November 27th, 2005, 10:50 PM
College basketball. And, the NFL on Saturdays thing is the exact reason why the I-AA Title game is on Fridays, so as not to have to compete with the NFL.

The championship game is on Friday night because the city of Chattanooga wants it on Friday night. From what I remember, ESPN gave Chatty a few time slots to choose from and they picked Friday night. Reason being, if the teams who were playing were located close to Chattanooga they believe many of the fans would drive home after the game instead of staying the night and spending money and hotel tax $ in Chattanooga.

thirdgendin
November 27th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Did they ever show the I-AA championship game on CBS? I'm a younger I-AA fan, so if they did, I wouldn't know...

CBS showed the I-AA championship game live on Saturday afternoon from 1989-1994, I believe.

Eagle22
November 27th, 2005, 11:45 PM
CBS definitely did it in 1989 and 1990 ... not sure about beyond that time frame ....

thirdgendin
November 28th, 2005, 12:06 AM
CBS definitely did it in 1989 and 1990 ... not sure about beyond that time frame ....

The Furman/GSU game in '88 was on ESPN so CBS coverage must have started in 1989.

Also, the 1995 Montana/Marshall game was on ESPN, I believe, but I wasn't sure about the '94 YSU/Boise game.

catamount man
November 28th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Those were some good games on CBS. Youngstown State-Marshall? Good stuff that was! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

penguinonastick
November 28th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Distinctly remember Sean McDonough doing one game against Marshall - either 91, 92 or 93?? - Have it on tape somewhere

Pards Rule
November 28th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Wished they had shown AppState - Lafayette! It was an exciting contest!

RadMann
November 28th, 2005, 07:46 PM
The big 3 networks used to show more lower division games before cable became huge. For example Delaware was on ABC in the national champioship game when they were in division II, I believe a few times. I recall Jim Lampley covering the game one year for ABC when I was a kid.

FlyYtown
November 28th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I got 91 and 93 team tapes and they show footage from the CBS Broadcast with Roberts? I think thats his name. He is on ABC Now prior to being on NBC and prior to that CBS....