PDA

View Full Version : The most underated rilvalry games in division I-AA

SU Jag
November 27th, 2005, 07:45 PM
O'kay guys, we all know about the big rilvary games that seem to get all of the attention in d-1AA, but what about the rilvalries that don't get the media attention? :coach:

blackfordpu
November 27th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Sam Houston/Stephen F. Austin is a big one in the SLC.

The Tx State/Sam Houston rivelry is becoming a big one quickly.

AppGuy04
November 27th, 2005, 07:50 PM
App State/ Western Carolina

bcrawf
November 27th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Southern Illinois/ UNI is always a war in the Gateway

SU Jag
November 27th, 2005, 08:18 PM
The Magic City Classic between Alabama State and Alabama A&M. Big rilvary game and a big party weekend in Birmingham!

TexasTerror
November 27th, 2005, 08:19 PM
I think I'll go SFA/SHSU...

Always on TV. Highest-rated SLC TV game each year. Two hours from each other. SFA busses to SHSU, SHSU does the same there. Fights after the games, lots of interesting happenigs with vandals on both sides. Close games almost yearly...

UNHknowledge
November 27th, 2005, 08:21 PM
UNH-Maine...Battle for the Brice-Cowell Musket.
UNH took the lead by one game this year at 44-43-8. The winner is awarded the Brice-Cowell Musket, which stays in Durham for the 3rd year in a row.

SU Jag
November 27th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I think I'll go SFA/SHSU...

Always on TV. Highest-rated SLC TV game each year. Two hours from each other. SFA busses to SHSU, SHSU does the same there. Fights after the games, lots of interesting happenigs with vandals on both sides. Close games almost yearly...

I've heard a lot about that game! Do you think that the big time networks like ABC,CBS,and the others will finally wake up and start showing more D-1AA games? ESPN U is okay, but everyone doesn't get ESPN U. xcoffeex

TexasTerror
November 27th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I've heard a lot about that game! Do you think that the big time networks like ABC,CBS,and the others will finally wake up and start showing more D-1AA games? ESPN U is okay, but everyone doesn't get ESPN U. xcoffeex

Glad you've heard a lot about SFA/SHSU. It gets loads of run in the Houston area because we got KPRC's Randy McIlvoy (SHSU grad) and KTRK's Bob Allen and Bob Slovak (both SFA grad). It has TV on it, so they get the highlights and Stick covers it for the Chronicle...

Doubt they cover I-AA on big networks. The last big I-AA game on major network outside of Bayou Classic was what, SHSU-Alcorn St in 1994? Steve McNair falling to the Kats...

SU Jag
November 27th, 2005, 08:36 PM
I think that the State Fair Classic game at the Cotton Bowl is an underated game. Eventhough Grambling usually smashes Prairie View every year its still one of the highest attended classic games out there! I don't understand how, but it is! I mean year in and year out Prairie View is a big underdog but they still get over 60,000 people to show up and watch that arse kicking :asswhip:
Maybe people show up to watch the "Marching Storm" of Prairie View because the game is usually over by halftime. This is a game that I just don't understand :eyebrow:

bobcatfan06
November 27th, 2005, 10:23 PM
The Sam/TxSt one is becoming big very fast. Really starting to get some bad blood there.

OldSchool85
November 27th, 2005, 11:08 PM
"The Battle of the Bay Classic" (Hampton vs. Norfolk State) has always been pretty heated; I believe ESPNU took notice and broadcast the game this year...

thirdgendin
November 27th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Furman vs. Citadel.

While our games with Georgia Southern and Appalachian get most of the press, Furman and the Citadel still have a great deal of dislike for one another. Most alumni 35+ will still count this game as our biggest rival, recalling stories of cadets invading Furman's campus, stealing the horse, etc.

crunifan
November 27th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I will say UNI/SIU once again. It really is more of a friendly rivalry. Both have had such strong success in football and basketball lately it's hard not to make it a rivalry.

SochorField
November 27th, 2005, 11:48 PM
UC Davis vs. Cal Poly

"Battle for the Golden Horshoe"

......watch for this one

DuckDuckGriz
November 28th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Montana and Eastern Washington -- If EWU had a bigger fanbase it would be one of the larger rivalries in I-AA.

Also Montana State and Idaho State.

aggie6thman
November 28th, 2005, 02:03 AM
UC Davis vs. Cal Poly

"Battle for the Golden Horshoe"

......watch for this one

I agree, Cal Poly doesn't get their team photo up in the locker room if they don't win. Plus with CP in the playoffs with a loss to UC Davis, the battle between the two Ag schools is only going to get better.

Mustang Man
November 28th, 2005, 03:04 AM
I will put a vote in for Cal Poly vs UC Davis.

COLONELSINCE78
November 28th, 2005, 07:16 AM
There is always a fight between EKU and Murray. It is freakin heated...

Dukes_Bando
November 28th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Well, i'd say JMU and W&M is a pretty good in state rivalry, especially since every time we seem to go down there we win on their field...
So much for "Not in Our House." xazzx

ChickenMan
November 28th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Delaware/Villanova... UD leads series 20-18-1

SoCon48
November 28th, 2005, 09:33 AM
The Magic City Classic between Alabama State and Alabama A&M. Big rilvary game and a big party weekend in Birmingham!

That in no way looks like I-AA

Go...gate
November 28th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Colgate-Cornell. The last remmant of the "Upstate New York Big Three" (with Syracuse) that was played every year in every sport.

RadMann
November 28th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I'd almost say Delaware - Lehigh for the emotion of the game, but the teams rarely play anymore so it is hard to call it a "rivalry" for that reason.

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I'd say Dartmouth/New Hampshire only in the first half of the rivalry Dartmouth dominated and recently UNH has dominated not to mention for 2 teams from New Hampshire they really havent played much 33 total games dartmouth holds a 17-14-2 advantage

DB_Atlantic10
November 28th, 2005, 12:15 PM

That's actually how big it gets..... That's Legion Field (80,000) in B'ham, formally the place of Bama/Aub games...and the A&M/State game packs it each year...but its mostly for the battle of the bands..... :)

I played my HS ball there and the annual West End/Parker HS games draws about 42k every year.....

Pards Rule
November 28th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Of course, the most played (not oldest) rivalry in college football...Lehigh - Lafayette!!

ngineer
November 28th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I don't think the Lehigh - Lafayette rivalry is 'underrated' per the scope of the thread. Most major media and football fans are aware of the ancient history.
I do agree that Delaware/Lehigh is underrated only because we don't face each other enough--although I think we're still #2 in number of opponents played by the Blue Hens.
Lehigh/Colgate has become a war the past 15 years, with the last 10 being 'almost' on the same level with Lafayette, until the Leopards recently turned their program around. But I think Colgate's biggest crowds are when Lehigh comes to town, as well as ours--except for Lafayette.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Georgia Southern and Furman doesn't get the respect it should because it's a fairly new rivalry, but it's bitter and has a very rich and colorful history. On top of that, it's ALWAYS a war. In many long rivalries, one team will get into a good era while another one is in a mediocre era, and you may have a one-sided series for eight years at a time.

SU Jag
November 28th, 2005, 06:49 PM
:D
That's actually how big it gets..... That's Legion Field (80,000) in B'ham, formally the place of Bama/Aub games...and the A&M/State game packs it each year...but its mostly for the battle of the bands..... :)

I played my HS ball there and the annual West End/Parker HS games draws about 42k every year.....

It use to be just for the bands but it has changed a lot since Alabama A&M moved to the SWAC from the SIAC back in 99. Now its a HUGE game, hell its the biggest game in Birmingham. It drew over 68,000 people this past year. This game usually determines who will represent the Eastern division in the SWAC Championship game.This game gives the City of Birmingham a big economic boost every year. There is nothing like "Classic Weekend" in Birmingham,Alabama
O'yeah the picture is from the game in 04 where there was over 65,000 people there.

www.themagiccityclassic.com

SU Jag
November 28th, 2005, 07:12 PM

What do you mean by that? :confused:

DB_Atlantic10
November 28th, 2005, 07:25 PM
What do you mean by that? :confused:

He's probably referring to the size of the stadium......and probably does not know that it does not belong to State or AM, but the city on B'ham.......

Cap'n Cat
November 28th, 2005, 07:35 PM
YSU and UNI are getting to be bitter rivals. Maybe it's just the rhetoric on this board, but I'm enjoying it!

'Course when they join the MAC, that will be all over!!!

MAC commissioners at the Youngstown State membership hearing:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~aaronv/graphics/wicker_westfeldt_laughing.jpg
"Them.....joining the MAC????? Four I-AA wins over > .500 I-AA teams since '01!?!?!? STOP, you're killing me!!!!!!!!"

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

SU Jag
November 28th, 2005, 08:06 PM
xlolx LOL!!!!!!!!! xlolx

diznanl
November 28th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Montana and Eastern Washington -- If EWU had a bigger fanbase it would be one of the larger rivalries in I-AA.

Also Montana State and Idaho State.

I think you're right ... Although, I remember reading an article a while back before the EWU vs UM game. The article talked about how EWU is just another game / just another team for Montana. The checklist on the tunnel wall outside the football locker room here pretty much tells it all.

Under "program goals," in order, are:

• Get a University of Montana degree.

• Beat Montana State.

• Win the Big Sky Conference championship.

• Win the national championship.

I think EWU feels a natural rivalry with Montana, because Montana has been so dominant in the Big Sky for at least the last half decade. Also, probably, proximity ... next closest would be Portland State.