PDA

View Full Version : JSU maybe getting Ga Tech WR

jsugamecocks1
April 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
Greg Smith from Ga Tech is transferring and looks like he may come to Jacksonville State

http://thelegacyx4.blogspot.com/2009/03/greg-smith-to-jax-state.html

This is from the Anniston Star Newspaper

Jacksonville State notebook
By Al Muskewitz
Sports Writer
04-01-2009

JSU could land Tech receiver
If the Jacksonville State football team is still in the market for a replacement for the go-to receiver that was Maurice Dupree, help might be on the way.

Churning in the rumor mill of Internet fan sites, Georgia Tech receiver-turned-A-back Greg Smith is headed to JSU.

If he does land at JSU — and the decision could come after he reportedly visits Portland State this weekend — won't that make for an interesting season opener at Georgia Tech?

Smith left the Yellow Jackets in March, reportedly because of dwindling playing time. He was expected to stay at Tech through the end of the semester — when he'll graduate — then transfer for his final year of eligibility.

He will be a receiver if he joins the Gamecocks.

NCAA rules prevent JSU officials from commenting on the report. They are, however, looking to replace Dupree, who became Ryan Perrilloux's favorite target after working out with the former No. 1 prep prospect immediately upon the quarterback's arrival.

Dupree caught 10 touchdown passes last season; he caught 10 passes the entire previous season. He had nine catches and two touchdowns in the season opener at Tech.

Smith, 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds, was the Jackets' top receiver in 2007 under then-coach Chan Gailey — 37 catches, 588 yards — but was said to be unhappy after being moved to A-back in the scheme installed by new Tech coach Paul Johnson last year. He did not play in Tech's final three games of the season (coach's decision).

In Smith's first game as an A-back, he had three carries for 14 yards and two catches for 37 yards — against the Gamecocks

Redbirdz
April 3rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
I heard he might be coming. This will be a great receiver for RP and should help the Gamecocks rock.

blackcaesar3k5
April 4th, 2009, 04:51 AM
kudos to Coach Crowe getting Wr from GT

fb1234
April 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
If the article is true.... and he is at Portland State right now, what makes everyone think he is going to JSU? He obviously isnt too sold on JSU otherwise why make that trip to Portland?
I do understand why he would look at Portland St, they throw the ball 50 times a game, two former NFL coaches on the staff with ties to help get in the NFL, and big city environment he would like being from Atlanta......just my 2 cents.

jsugamecocks1
April 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Notice the big word in the title MAYBE okay i didntr say he was coming i said maybe

Cocky
April 4th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Only a GT blog has stated he was coming to JSU. All the others are basically saying it is rumored or he is considering JSU.