PDA

View Full Version : Another Great Montana Team?

Grizaholic17
April 1st, 2009, 10:02 PM
After 2008, it seems Montana fans are looking forward to the prospect of 2009 being just as great, if not better. Personally, I believe the loss of some key leadership in Cole Berquist and J.D. Quinn and Colin Down and Colt Anderson could bring down the intensity of our team.

Will Montana hold to the expectations of its fan base this coming up year, or will all the hubbub surrounding a "supposed to be" great team get to their heads? Being a student and knowing many of the freshmen greats such as Trumaine Johnson, they seem to be focused, but maybe have a clouded vision on being the "best."

Let's hope for the best in 2009, one thing is for sure, young Reynolds and the O-line will be primed and ready to go. Especially an O-Line that will average above 300 lbs again, which for Montana is a god-send.

xpeacex

jmufan999
April 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
you've won the conference every year since 1993. you can't possibly be that concerned about the rest of your conference... can you?

ASUG8
April 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Montana wasn't even supposed to be all that good IIRC this time last year. xrotatehx You bunch of sandbaggers xlolx

Edit: not intended as a personal attack xnonono2x

CrazyCat
April 2nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Yes there will be another great Montana team this year :D xeyebrowx xthumbsupx xpeacex

CrunchGriz
April 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Montana really wasn't supposed to be all that good in 2008, after losing four guys to the NFL (two who played quite a bit, Kroy Biermann (Falcons) and Dan Carpenter (Dolphins), and two who spent the year on their respective practice squads, Lex Hilliard (Dolphins) and Cody Balogh (Bears)).

Last year most Montana fans realistically had the team pegged at 9-3 tops in the regular season before the season started.

What Montana had that it doesn't for the coming year, though, was a highly experienced QB with talent.

...and that's one position that requires talent and usually experience (AE being the exception that proves the rule) to lead a team to a championship.

We'll have to wait and see if one of Montana's young guns (Selle, Larson, or Kemp) has what it takes. The jury is still out on all three. Selle only has one more or less full game under his belt, and although he did well, it was against Southern Utah, which didn't tell us much. Larson has the skills and is a better runner than Selle, but has not been given extended time to show what he can do, and has been inconsistent in his short stretches, spending more time at receiver last year than at QB. Kemp can both run and throw, but reminds a lot of Montana fans of Rodney Landers: A better runner than thrower at this point, and with no experience yet at this level.

They all have a fairly veteran offensive line and a great running back in Chase Reynolds to help take the pressure off, not to mention All-American WR Marc Mariani.

gbhmt
April 2nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
you've won the conference every year since 1993. you can't possibly be that concerned about the rest of your conference... can you?

Cal Poly can testify that it's not a one team conference.

Grizaholic17
April 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
In response to the Montana State comment, I believe you guys are going to be much more of an opponent.

In terms of the statements by CrunchGriz, everything seems about right. The quarterbacking will go to Larson IMO. He has an arm plus great running ability. Selle just wasn't performing at crunch time in some drills I saw him in.

And I agree with gbhmt that Weber, EWU, and PSU are all contenders. NAU can put out a team every now and then, and Northern Colorado and Sac St. are busts.

I Bleed Purple
April 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM

Despite the veracity of that statement, it really is quite annoying. xsmhx

CrunchGriz
April 2nd, 2009, 06:19 PM

Not only is the quote annoying, it has no 'veracity'. Montana has won or shared the conference title every year since 1998, not 1993. Eastern Washington won it in 1997; Boise State won it in 1994.

Not that that makes the point that much less pointed, just factually incorrect.

As far as Montana fans are concerned, they're quite proud of having the second-longest streak of at least co-conference championships in Div I football history (only Oklahoma has a longer streak, back in the 50s, I believe).

GOKATS
April 2nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Not only is the quote annoying, it has no 'veracity'. Montana has won or shared the conference title every year since 1998, not 1993. Eastern Washington won it in 1997; Boise State won it in 1994.

Not that that makes the point that much less pointed, just factually incorrect.

Wow!! The total antithesis of Ronbo and most griz fans, a simple clarification of facts without blowing them all out of proportion. My congrats to you Crunch.xthumbsupx

mtgrizfan4life
April 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM

I am sure McBride is using it as motivation too. xthumbsupx

jmufan999
April 3rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
some of you guys are such babies, stop being so sensitive.

technocat
April 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
All i've got to say is watch out for the BSC this year. There will be at least five teams(EWU, WEBER ST, MSU, UM, PSU) battling it out for the crown and if we don't get at least two in the playoffs i will be highly surprised.

Lots of young returning talent in the conf. I wouldn't be surprised to see us snag a fbs win or two.

blukeys
April 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
All i've got to say is watch out for the BSC this year. There will be at least five teams(EWU, WEBER ST, MSU, UM, PSU) battling it out for the crown and if we don't get at least two in the playoffs i will be highly surprised.Lots of young returning talent in the conf. I wouldn't be surprised to see us snag a fbs win or two.

Great, two teams from the Big Fluffy Sky Conference. xrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesx

Oh well that just makes it easier for the CAA and the SoCon to get their teams to Chatty.

Proud Griz Man
April 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Great, two teams from the Big Fluffy Sky Conference. xrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesx

Oh well that just makes it easier for the CAA and the SoCon to get their teams to Chatty.

bla bla blaa blaa xwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlex

Time stands still on AGS. xreadx

This was the same shinola spewed by A-10 / now CAA fans back in 2001 when I joined this board. xnodx

bpcats
April 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Hauck has always relied on a power running game so that should help ease their new qb into the game. Selle, Larson and Kemp are all talented so the transition shouldn't be too bad. The Griz defense is always fundamentally sound.

The Griz should remain on top, but the teams chasing them are making great strides every year. They should feel the pressure from Weber and EWU for the conference crown.

If MSU ever comes up with an effective passing game then they may push for a playoff spot, but they still need an answer at the qb spot and are breaking in a ton of new receivers.

Grizaholic17
April 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
All i've got to say is watch out for the BSC this year. There will be at least five teams(EWU, WEBER ST, MSU, UM, PSU) battling it out for the crown and if we don't get at least two in the playoffs i will be highly surprised.

Lots of young returning talent in the conf. I wouldn't be surprised to see us snag a fbs win or two.

Although I completely agree with you, EWU will be great in all aspects of the game...I just hope their appeal goes through about being playoff eligible after they illegally used players this year. I'd hate to see the whole team suffer as a result...A veteran team at that. xnonono2xxnonono2x

Silenoz
April 3rd, 2009, 08:56 PM

xrolleyesx indeed

mtgrizfan4life
April 3rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
As a whole the BSC will be pretty deep this year. Will definitely get 2 teams in this year. Montana, Weber State, MSU, PSU, EWU indeed should be good. However, my surprise team this year is Northern Colorado. I feel PSU and EWU will not live up to high expectations.

I just am not sold in Glanville at PSU, and EWU is a tough position. I feel that may have a huge impact on EWU this year. Northern Colorado developed alot of young talent last season. They can only get better, and this year they will win the close games they lost last year. You may all be surprised if UNC finishes in the top 4. I will not be one bit surprised though.

GO GRIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronbo
April 4th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I think Sac. State will be better than UNC. They were 6-6 last season and are on the rise. That JC Coach they hired a couple years back is building a good team from a talent rich area. They are my dark horse to finish a surprising top 4 in the Conference.

Grizaholic17
April 4th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Glanville and PSU are not penciling out the way everyone expected them to the last couple of seasons. They have put forth great efforts but still have only mustered up 3-8 and 4-7 seasons. NAU has been stuck at 6-5 for the past 3 years, and it's time for them to do something. They always give the Griz a game, and same with MSU. MSU will be looking towards developing their O-line and building the defense up to what it used to be.

catatac
April 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Glanville and PSU are not penciling out the way everyone expected them to the last couple of seasons. They have put forth great efforts but still have only mustered up 3-8 and 4-7 seasons. NAU has been stuck at 6-5 for the past 3 years, and it's time for them to do something. They always give the Griz a game, and same with MSU. MSU will be looking towards developing their O-line and building the defense up to what it used to be.

Our O line will be big and talented, will be a strength of this team. Not sure what you're saying about the D... our D has been pretty good the past few years, we usually lead the Big Sky in total D... and we did last year as well. The Griz led in scoring D however.

Native
April 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM
After 2008, it seems Montana fans are looking forward to the prospect of 2009 being just as great, if not better. Personally, I believe the loss of some key leadership in Cole Berquist and J.D. Quinn and Colin Down and Colt Anderson could bring down the intensity of our team. ...

xpeacex

With key returning starters and one of the strongest traditions in college football, there is NO DOUBT that Montana will yet again field another GREAT team in 2009. xthumbsupx

That would make a Weber State victory in Missoula on Halloween all the more impresssive! xsmiley_wix

xpeacex

mtgrizfan4life
April 4th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Any GRIZ fans know what is wrong with egriz.com this weekend? I cannot access it.

uofmman1122
April 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM
That would make a Weber State victory in Missoula on Halloween all the more impresssive!xpeacexJust as impressive as your last win in Washington Griz...xnodx

........Oh, wait. xlolx

Grizalltheway
April 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM

Yeah, just ask JMU, they waltzed right through Montana on their way to Chatty. xlolxxlolx

Native
April 5th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Just as impressive as your last win in Washington Griz...xnodx ...Oh, wait. xlolx

Did Weber ever win at Missoula? xrolleyesx

Either way, at win AT WA GRIZ would be all the more impressive! xnodx

Could you please be nice to our whiney students next time, and save a little Moose Drool for me? xlolx

Bill Hanson
April 5th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Any GRIZ fans know what is wrong with egriz.com this weekend? I cannot access it.

It is down for some upgrades and maintenance, from what is being said on a Rivals board.

JALMOND
April 5th, 2009, 01:47 PM
The conference as a whole is greatly improved from last year, and has a lot to build on after getting two teams in last year (unfortunate that they both had to play each other in the quarters, but great to build on that). That said, Montana still has the inside track, getting Weber in Missoula this year. Surprises could include Sac State, Northern Colorado and Portland State, but knocking anyone out of the top five could be really tough this year (Montana, Weber, Montana State, Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona have historically strong programs). I'm still doing some research and hope to have some idea where to place the teams at the end of spring ball. Even Idaho State is improved and could spring some upsets next year. Should be a great year for the Big Sky.

hammer
April 5th, 2009, 07:20 PM
It is down for some upgrades and maintenance, from what is being said on a Rivals board.

I heard the mods, in a furious deletion fest, actually deleted the entire website. xcoffeex

mtgrizfan4life
April 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I heard the mods, in a furious deletion fest, actually deleted the entire website. xcoffeex

I am beginning to think so, It has been down all weekend. OR Could it be Bobcatnation getting revenge? I miss it though.

clenz
April 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Or it could be a server issue....

MrTitleist
April 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
eGriz and all of the rest of Chris's sites are down due to a server implosion or something. Should be coming back up sometime this week (ha!), and contrary to what Hammer said, we didn't delete everything... at least, not the board. :)

Gallatin Griz
April 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Our O line will be big and talented, will be a strength of this team. Not sure what you're saying about the D... our D has been pretty good the past few years, we usually lead the Big Sky in total D... and we did last year as well. The Griz led in scoring D however.

When the smoke clears and the dust (rubber pellets) settles, the only defensive stat that matters is scoring D. xnodx

mvemjsunpx
April 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Daly's gone, though, and that's going to hurt.

GOKATS
April 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Daly's gone, though, and that's going to hurt.

Daly was banged up most of the last half of the season and didn't play much, otherwise he would've been a serious Buchanan candidate. Clay Bignell stepped in as a youngster and did a great job and is alive and healthy- the Cats won't miss a beat at that LB position.xnodx