PDA

View Full Version : -Furman Stadium Project-

furman94
March 28th, 2009, 05:30 PM
The Furman Paladins will soon enter the arms race of stadium enhancements! Ex-Furman Star Jeff Blankenship will be spearheading the project, which will upgrade Paladin Stadium's Fieldhouse and Pressbox.

The plans include an awesome new pressbox and fieldhouse with luxury suites, a banquet room, patios and balconies, and a "Furman Football Hall of Fame". The new Pressbox will have up to 10-12 luxury suites and could run the span of the stadium between the lightpoles, costing around 16 Million.

http://furmanstadium.com/ went live today, however it is still under construction.

This is GREAT news for the Paladin Nation and the Socon!

PaladinFan
March 28th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I was excited to hear the news. Paladin Stadium needed a bit of a face lift.

furman94
March 28th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Yes it does. I hope this project includes a jumbotron :D. A new stadium would look wierd with a scoreboard dating back to the 80's.

MplsBison
March 28th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Fieldturf?

furman94
March 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Fieldturf? NEVER! Grass Forever! (We're in the South :D)

Reign of Terrier
March 28th, 2009, 07:30 PM
So this is what Furman bailed out the Delaware game for...xsmiley_wix

furman94
March 28th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Haha I wish!

93henfan
March 28th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Furman Stadium reminds me of Delaware Stadium somewhat. Both were state of the art a couple or three decades ago and are in dire need of a facelift.

Congrats to Furman on the upgrade.

Be sure to get a good bond from the prime contractor in case they pull a...

WAIT FOR IT....

Nah I can't do it. It's too easy.

henfan
March 29th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I thought Furman's FB program was hurting for money?xchinscratchx

Anyway, congrats on ambitious plans.xthumbsupx

furman94
March 29th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Jeff Blankenship is not involved with the university or the athletic department at the current moment, so technically this is being done outide of university's control. Furman did approve the project, and will support it, but I doubt that they'll start a campaign to raise money for it.

OL FU
March 29th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Fingers crossedxthumbsupx

elcid83
March 29th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I hope Furman includes a really nice place to display National Championship trophies. You really shouldn't be able to see the copy machine and the National Championship trophy in the same room.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

LarryBoy
March 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I hope Furman includes a really nice place to display National Championship trophies. You really shouldn't be able to see the copy machine and the National Championship trophy in the same room.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

But that's not just any copy machine. It's a Trophy Duplicator EX2000. It's our backup plan...just in case we can't bring back any more real ones...

89Hen
March 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Will it be named Tiger Stadium? xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
March 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Will it be named Tiger Stadium? xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

Again. Funded privately.

Maybe "Delaware never won here" Stadium?

furman94
March 30th, 2009, 05:18 PM
'singe' xcoolx xwhistlex

89Hen
March 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Again. Funded privately.

Maybe "Delaware never won here" Stadium?
UD was thinking of renaming the Tub "Furman never played here". xcoffeex

furman94
May 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.furmanstadium.com
"Building Homefield Advantage"

Progress and updates made on the official website! "Exciting updates coming soon..."

Looks great!

Bulldog87
May 29th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Beautiful Campus. I miss the games vs Furman and SCSU. Great view of Paris Mountain, If we ever play at Furman again hopefully the game will be at night if it's in September. Those 1:30 starts in Greenville are as hot as a furnace and not conducive to Tailgating or Football.

g-webb1994
May 30th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Can't beat those 1:30 starts in October or November though.

Their campus blows anyones away. One thing I marvel at is how throughout most of the FU campus, how they 'hide' the parking lots behind trees, etc. Awesome landscaping and the fountains add to it.

Saint3333
May 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM
I doubt they can build what you describe for $16M, especially 3 years down the road.

TheBisonator
May 31st, 2009, 06:19 PM
I doubt they can build what you describe for $16M, especially 3 years down the road.

You'd be surprised at how much you can do with $16 million. That was the original cost of completely renovating NDSU's basketball arena. You could build a great new press suite/club building and still have plenty to spare.

Non-union labor might be the key to this.xrulesx

furman94
May 31st, 2009, 08:44 PM

Negative Nancy xrolleyesx. The committe seems gungho about the project, and I shall never underestimate the net-worth value of certain prominent Furman Alumni. With their pocketbooks combined together, we should have more than enough. :D

Saint3333
May 31st, 2009, 09:04 PM
I don't doubt the fundraising capablities, just pointing out this is not a realistic number for a future project.

chicagosports98
May 31st, 2009, 10:36 PM
Seems like a nice stadium... More d1aa should follow.

furman94
June 2nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
FCS :)

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Seems like a nice stadium... More d1aa should follow.

Most FU fans have little complaints about Paladin Stadium. Lovely location, beautiful surroundings, and generally a real nice place to watch a football game. Most are excited for the few cosmetic changes that are coming just to upgrade what is now a stadium coming up on its 30th year of existence.

furman94
June 4th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Agreed. A jumbotron is expected to be in place by September ! A new fieldhouse and pressbox would do wonders for our stadium.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Agreed. A jumbotron is expected to be in place by September ! A new fieldhouse and pressbox would do wonders for our stadium.

Just so long as when we play App we won't rerun their good plays on the jumbotron! :)

All I wanted was a single replay of Ced Gipson's 70 something yard screen pass catch for a TD. Got nothing.

furman94
June 16th, 2009, 10:37 PM
12x32ft Video Board to be installed before 2009 season! Exciting new updates on furmanstadium.com . This could prove to be a great year for Paladin Football! When's kickoff?

FUndraiser
June 21st, 2009, 02:59 PM
I don't doubt the fundraising capablities, just pointing out this is not a realistic number for a future project. Actually 16MM is about 1/2 of what is needed for the full project. FU has agreed to fund once the initial threshold of money is raised.

Syntax Error
June 21st, 2009, 03:37 PM
Actually 16MM is about 1/2 of what is needed for the full project. FU has agreed to fund once the initial threshold of money is raised.

Welcome FUndraiser! xthumbsupx

Saint3333
June 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
Actually 16MM is about 1/2 of what is needed for the full project. FU has agreed to fund once the initial threshold of money is raised.

$32M sounds a lot closer.

Dinman31
June 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM

Furman has not agreed to fund any of the project. It will all come from money raised by the outside group (led by former players including Jeff Blakenship). The total project is about 16MM.

DX Man
June 22nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Furman you have a beautiful campus. I can't wait to see the rendering of the new stadium complex. Please post ASAP!

ASUG8
June 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
/\
i
i

Agreed - I'll be visiting Paladin for the first time this season, but I'd love to see what the future holds - the campus is beautiful and deserves a showplace. xthumbsupx

AndrewFU21
June 22nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
I cannot believe that I had not heard about this until today! Having just graduated on that field this past May, and having spent so many Saturday afternoons there over the past four years, I can tell you how nice a place it is to watch a game. That said, it has become obvious that Paladin Stadium and its facilities simply do not do justice to Furman's campus in general. With the major upgrades to the library, the physical activities center, and the science building in recent years, the football stadium seems a bit lacking in comparison. I've never been a guy that needed box seats, cushy chairs, and all that... hell, just give a place to watch the game and I'm good to go. Still, a video scoreboard would make the stadium-going experience significantly better, and I do believe that overall improvements need to be made for this program in the future. When you look at what App is doing with their facilities, and seeing the general landscape of the SoCon changing the way it is, Furman is going to need to make a strong committment if it is going to have a winning program for the future.

furman94
August 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
The old scoreboard is DOWN! The new jumbotron will be in by September 5th :)

Pics of demolition. I'm so glad to see it go!
http://www.furmanpaladins.com/view.gal?id=51342

OL FU
August 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM
The old scoreboard is DOWN! The new jumbotron will be in by September 5th :)

Pics of demolition. I'm so glad to see it go!
http://www.furmanpaladins.com/view.gal?id=51342

I'm glad to see it go also but I do have some fond memories looking at it. :D

Of course I have a few not so fond memories also:(

Saint3333
August 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM
With Furman and WCU rumored to be getting one, what SoCon schools don't have a video board?

furman94
September 3rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
http://www.furmanpaladins.com/view.gal?id=52839

The PalaTron is framed and ready to go! Here are a few action pics of the new board. I'm liking number three... Diamond F at the 50! And the grass looks amazing as always. ONE DAY! Tailgating starts at 12:00 on Saturday!

Skjellyfetti
September 3rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
http://www.furmanpaladins.com/view.gal?id=52839

The PalaTron is framed and ready to go! Here are a few action pics of the new board. I'm liking number three... Diamond F at the 50! And the grass looks amazing as always. ONE DAY! Tailgating starts at 12:00 on Saturday!

Furman 28
Presby 21

1st quarter

xeekx

;)