PDA

View Full Version : Through Rd. 1

FightinBluHen51
November 26th, 2005, 10:31 PM
New Hampshire, UNI, Cal Poly, Texas St. Richmond, Furman, SIU, and App. St. all advance. Looks like next week should be interesting. Figure that UNH, Texas St., Furman and App will all host. Thoughts??

LarryBoy
November 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Nope, Richmond is hosting Furman.

Absolutely no idea why.

blur2005
November 26th, 2005, 10:34 PM

Absolutely no idea why.
Really :confused: ? That is odd. Oh well, that's great for the SPIDAHS.

AppGuy04
November 26th, 2005, 10:34 PM

Absolutely no idea why.

higher bid i assume

mainejeff
November 26th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Richmond has some moolah $$$$

blur2005
November 26th, 2005, 10:37 PM
New Hampshire, UNI, Cal Poly, Texas St. Richmond, Furman, SIU, and App. St. all advance. Looks like next week should be interesting. Figure that UNH, Texas St., Furman and App will all host. Thoughts??
My thoughts are:

New Hampshire eeks out over a driven UNI squad that is missing the Dome magic.

Cal Poly, coming off the big win against the Griz, continues to win, edging Texas State by playing defense, which it appears GSU didn't do.

Richmond is on a tear, and I can't see an inconsistent Furman beating them. Spiders advance.

App St., in the safe confines of the Rock, advance over SIU.

I really do see a good chance of a UNH-Richmond title game. Man, that would be tight.

blur2005
November 26th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Richmond has some moolah $$$$
Furman isn't exactly poor either. Both are private schools.

Ah, a good name for this matchup: The Battle of the Private Schools.

fuEMO
November 26th, 2005, 10:43 PM
My thoughts are:

New Hampshire eeks out over a driven UNI squad that is missing the Dome magic.

Cal Poly, coming off the big win against the Griz, continues to win, edging Texas State by playing defense, which it appears GSU didn't do.

Richmond is on a tear, and I can't see an inconsistent Furman beating them. Spiders advance.

App St., in the safe confines of the Rock, advance over SIU.

I really do see a good chance of a UNH-Richmond title game. Man, that would be tight.

I saw an aggresive defense by the Spiders. Mobile quarterback who seems to have to wind it up to pass. Very shaking passing game. And I don't see an inconsistent Furman team. Of course I don't look through A-10 rose colored glasses.

How's this for inconsistent:
3rd down Conversions: NSU was 5 of 15 for 33%.They had been 42% for the season. 4th down conversions for the year was 78%, Paladin D held them to 40%.
NSU averaged 383 yds/game and 33pts./game. Paladin D held them to 199 yds.,the lowest rushing total this year for NSU and the lowest point total for the year! 12pts!

On the Paladin Offensive side of the ball.
NSU allowed only 106 yds./game this year and 3.1 yds./rush. Paladin O hung 243yds.(a season high allowed by NSU Defense) and a 4.5/rush average on the Colonels.
NSU averaged 20 first downs/game. Paladins D holds them to 14 first downs.

LarryBoy
November 26th, 2005, 10:43 PM
It's my understanding that Furman always bids the maximum for playoff games...I'm assuming that Richmond did as well. If that's the case, then Furman seems to win all of the tiebreakers, as indicated by the NCAA, such as team performance, attendance/revenue, quality of facility, etc.

I'm not complaining, it just seems odd. Oh well. To Virginia!

blur2005
November 26th, 2005, 11:14 PM
I saw an aggresive defense by the Spiders. Mobile quarterback who seems to have to wind it up to pass. Very shaking passing game. And I don't see an inconsistent Furman team. Of course I don't look through A-10 rose colored glasses.

3rd down Conversions: NSU was 5 of 15 for 33%.They had been 42% for the season. 4th down conversions for the year was 78%, Paladin D held them to 40%.
NSU averaged 383 yds/game and 33pts./game. Paladin D held them to 199 yds.,the lowest rushing total this year for NSU and the lowest point total for the year! 12pts!

NSU allowed only 106 yds./game this year and 3.1 yds./rush. Paladin O hung 243yds.(a season high allowed by NSU Defense) and a 4.5/rush average on the Colonels.
Rose-colored? Well, I do have to say that Richmond ripped a seeded team a new one. But then again, we all knew Hampton wasn't for real, so I can't over-argue that the Spiders beat a really good team that was seeded third. But they DID win 38-10, which isn't a questionable win, but a statement. Besides that, I've felt that this year Furman just hasn't been as clearly dominant as they seemed to be last year. I know JMU played a better Furman squad last year than Richmond will play next week. And they'll have it at home. Also, I don't feel Richmond has to be incredible at passing. Tutt's game isn't being a great passer; it's making plays, whether with his feet or his arm. More often than not, he'll make them with his feet.

thirdgendin
November 27th, 2005, 07:27 AM
It's my understanding that Furman always bids the maximum for playoff games...I'm assuming that Richmond did as well. If that's the case, then Furman seems to win all of the tiebreakers, as indicated by the NCAA, such as team performance, attendance/revenue, quality of facility, etc.

I'm not complaining, it just seems odd. Oh well. To Virginia!

I don't think there is a "maximum bid." There is a minimum bid, however.

Schools can also bid different amounts for each of the rounds so Richmond must have assumed they would go to Hampton for round 1. Then they posted a big bid for round 2.

Either that, or Richmond bid higher than Furman in the first round as well, but the committee wanted to save money by sending the Spiders to Hampton.

ChickenMan
November 27th, 2005, 07:38 AM
I know Furman is a good team and UR/FU should be a great game. However... I was totally unimpressed by the Nicholls St offense as seen vs FU... their QB had limited running ability and no quickness. Nicholl's option attack was almost non exsistent... Richmond is no offensive dynamo... but they are better on both sides of the ball than the Nicholls St team I saw vs FU yesterday.

Tubby Raymond
November 27th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Inconsistent is turning the ball over :nono:

My 2nd point would be, I'm not surprised they didn't reach thier season averages, they don't play anybody. Hell, it's almost the Patriot League for goodness sake xazzx