PDA

View Full Version : Additions to URI Staff

Cobblestone
March 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Since Confesor has experience in toasting defensive backs, he should be able to help our secondary.

I like the addition of Roeder. He's worked with our OC in the past so I expect this will be good for our passing game.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031709aaa.html

Monarch History
March 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Look like some nice additions to the staff. Do these two replace two others who were on Rizzi's staff last year?

Cobblestone
March 21st, 2009, 07:28 AM
I'm pretty sure they are additional positions.

Bos8
April 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Any word on how Spring practice is going? Who is going to be starting at QB? Will it be Stefkovich, or Chris-Paul Etienne from Rutgers? I've heard the Rutgers kid has a heck of an arm, and once threw a ball over 80 yards.

Cobblestone
April 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Any word on how Spring practice is going? Who is going to be starting at QB? Will it be Stefkovich, or Chris-Paul Etienne from Rutgers? I've heard the Rutgers kid has a heck of an arm, and once threw a ball over 80 yards.

I only caught a few minutes this morning before I had to leave. From what I can see it looks like it'll be a good battle between the two but based on what little I saw, I think I might give the edge to Etienne.

Oh and Bos8, if you still post on the PROJO board please tell that idiot Rhode Island Red that he is a total pussy. xnodx xrulesx

Bos8
April 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I still do, but I tend to stay away from football stuff. I get pretty angry when people start talking about cutting football for a regional sport like hockey. Although it is the minority opinion of the board, it still gets me upset.

It should be interesting because coach has no ties to either player. Stefkovich is with his third coach in third years. Etienne was highly touted coming out of HS and seems to be a better athlete. I think either are an improvement over Cassidy. Who ever starts at QB will have plenty of weapons with wrs like Johnson-Farrell and rbs like Lawrence and Casey.

Cobblestone
April 5th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I still do, but I tend to stay away from football stuff. I get pretty angry when people start talking about cutting football for a regional sport like hockey. Although it is the minority opinion of the board, it still gets me upset.

It should be interesting because coach has no ties to either player. Stefkovich is with his third coach in third years. Etienne was highly touted coming out of HS and seems to be a better athlete. I think either are an improvement over Cassidy. Who ever starts at QB will have plenty of weapons with wrs like Johnson-Farrell and rbs like Lawrence and Casey.

Dude, you really should consider getting off that PROJO board. Between the two pussies like Rhody72 and Rhode Island Red combined with the overall idiot factor, that place is not worth posting to. Rhode Island Red has had a vendetta against URI football since he lost he college girlfriend to a URI football player. '72 is just a whiner. Nobody on that pathetic board has any idea what type of work and dedication is required for football.

Back to the important issue. I like having a battle for the QB position, it can only be good for the team. I agree that either one of these guys would be an improvement over Cassidy. Although, I do think Cassidy had his moments and wasn't that bad of a QB. The problem was he had a coach (Stowers) who ran a d!cked up offense in which the QB took a pounding. Plus with Stowers changing DC's every season there wasn't exactly a lot of good support from that side of the ball.

I agree that whoever our QB is will have some good targets such as Leonard and Johnson-Farrell. It was good to see Casey out there yesterday. I think we'll be fine on offense. I hope with Trainer being a career defense guy that we'll put a defense that will hold the opposition in check and not force our offense to have to put 40+ points just to stay in the game.

I plan on getting to some more spring pratices and hope to stay a bit longer than I did last Saturday. Of course I'll be back on the board with more observations.

Dawg2Rhody
April 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM
The team scrimmaged yesterday. CP Etienne took the bulk of the snaps with the first group. He makes some throws that just make you smile. He had a solid afternoon, will be nice when they turn him loose in the deep game. Lucarini and Elliot then took over. Curiously enough DJ was on the sideline (not injured). Not sure if the coaches were just trying to get the young guys snaps or what. The offense moved the ball, but was not able to score. Brandon Johnson Ferrell sat out with a tweaked hammy. Rutgers transfer Alexis had a impressive catch and run. Was good to see Bynum back on the field after missing all but two games to injury last season. He also had a nice catch. At RB they are limiting Casey as expected. Okunfolami looked impressive. Lawrence took a big hit, but will be a contributor this season.

On the defensive side-- Hansen was in mid season form, all over the field. If Weedon stays healthy man will he be good, he blew up the line all day. Glenn was solid with a pick and some solid hits, Rae playing at the other DE spot had a nice scrimmage as well. Converted safety Jarrod Williams played well. He seems more comfortable at the position, which is good because we were burned at the safety position all last season.

Overall the defense looked to be ahead of the offense (as it should at this point). Offensive line has some injuries they are working through so that didn't help. But I think when healthy they will be the solid.

Cobblestone
April 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM
The team scrimmaged yesterday. CP Etienne took the bulk of the snaps with the first group. He makes some throws that just make you smile. He had a solid afternoon, will be nice when they turn him loose in the deep game. Lucarini and Elliot then took over. Curiously enough DJ was on the sideline (not injured). Not sure if the coaches were just trying to get the young guys snaps or what. The offense moved the ball, but was not able to score. Brandon Johnson Ferrell sat out with a tweaked hammy. Rutgers transfer Alexis had a impressive catch and run. Was good to see Bynum back on the field after missing all but two games to injury last season. He also had a nice catch. At RB they are limiting Casey as expected. Okunfolami looked impressive. Lawrence took a big hit, but will be a contributor this season.

On the defensive side-- Hansen was in mid season form, all over the field. If Weedon stays healthy man will he be good, he blew up the line all day. Glenn was solid with a pick and some solid hits, Rae playing at the other DE spot had a nice scrimmage as well. Converted safety Jarrod Williams played well. He seems more comfortable at the position, which is good because we were burned at the safety position all last season.

Overall the defense looked to be ahead of the offense (as it should at this point). Offensive line has some injuries they are working through so that didn't help. But I think when healthy they will be the solid.

Sounds good. I wish I could have stayed longer. It's looking more like Etienne will be the starter. I'm glad to hear the defense looks solid. Hansen just has a good nose for the ball and is a good LB. Glenn is a good athlete and it sounds like he might get some help back there in the secondary this season. O-line needs to get healthy. It sounds like we've got the potential for a good passing game this season. xthumbsupx

Ram Ball
April 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the recaps. Good stuff..

Bos8
April 13th, 2009, 11:29 AM
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041009aao.html

Cobblestone
April 13th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Good stuff! I am glad to see Casey regaining his old form. I remember watching Okunfolami last spring and I thought he was pretty impressive. Man oh man, if we can have strong backfield to compliment what looks like a strong receiving corps then I think we can be a real threat in the CAA on that side of the ball. Hopefully our OL gets healthy.

danefan
April 14th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Totally missed this thread, but addition of Roeder to the staff is a good catch for URI.

I played behind Roeder at Albany my first two years and they guy has a mind made for football. He was a good QB more because of his knowledge of the game than his physical ability.