PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern roster questions

Keeper
March 17th, 2009, 05:00 AM
A lot of major performers from last season are missing from the 2009 roster
on the school website, and were not seniors. Are any still on the team?

Offense: Samair Baker, Darell Norman, Terence Hall, Jarrell Crawford,
Demarcus Watts, Marcus Russ, Steve Cundari & Nick Bass.

Defense: Brandon Echols & Lennie Richardson.

Any information from Eagle fams would be appreciated.

eaglewraith
March 17th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Steve Cundari left the team for personal reasons.

Samair Baker, Marcus Russ, and Nick Bass were kicked off the team in the middle of the season for undisclosed reasons, I'm sure has the inside on that one but I've never really heard a clear and definitive answer.

Unsure about the rest.

Tribe4SF
March 17th, 2009, 06:46 AM
What happened to Antonio Henton?

89Eagle
March 17th, 2009, 06:56 AM
He QUIT..... I think he saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't #1. He must not like competition.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 17th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Steve Cundari left the team for personal reasons.

Samair Baker, Marcus Russ, and Nick Bass were kicked off the team in the middle of the season for undisclosed reasons, I'm sure has the inside on that one but I've never really heard a clear and definitive answer.

Unsure about the rest.

It was Samair Baker, Demarcus Watts, and Nick Bass that were kicked off the team mid-season. No one knows what happened with Russ.

eagleruckus
March 17th, 2009, 02:54 PM
all of those guys were either thrown off the team or quit for one reason or another, not to worried about it though, their loss not the teams

Erks Eagles
March 17th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Um...it is a big team problem. It ultimately effects our APR.

I can tell you no one is really missing Henton.

eaglewraith
March 17th, 2009, 09:48 PM
It was Samair Baker, Demarcus Watts, and Nick Bass that were kicked off the team mid-season. No one knows what happened with Russ.

Ah yea, my bad. I was still shaking off the cobwebs when I posted that this morning.

GATA
March 17th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Um...it is a big team problem. It ultimately effects our APR.

I can tell you no one is really missing Henton.

Of course they don't miss him right now. He got hated on most of the year anyway and became the scapegoat for a mediocre team playing like trash most of the season.

I'm sure people will be missing him more when they see the product we're going to put on the field in 2009. The kid was a good football player.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 18th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Of course they don't miss him right now. He got hated on most of the year anyway and became the scapegoat for a mediocre team playing like trash most of the season.

I'm sure people will be missing him more when they see the product we're going to put on the field in 2009. The kid was a good football player.

He's a good player - not too many will disagree with that. He's just not as good of a quarterback as Lee Chapple is. If we are going to run Hatcher's offense of 40-50 passes a game, we need Chapple to be the starter. I've been saying since the Georgia game that he was the better QB and that he'd be the starter once we get the OL broken in. And Hatcher agrees.

blueballs
March 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Henton is a wonderfully talented player who was at times the best player on GSU's team and at times the best player on the opponents' team.

He played like a talented guy with very little experience... great plays often mixed in with costly turnovers and mental mistakes- in fact, too many turnovers and mistakes for Coach Hatcher's liking. That is why he was beat out during and after the WCU game last year.

As for the other players mentioned, some talented guys for sure who may have been great eagles in the future but it just didn't work out for a myriad of reasons. They will all be replaced quite capably and the team won't miss a beat.

Somebody please mark this post and refer back to it... Hatcher had to alter his offense both years due to personnel. He played 37 freshmen last year and 22 of them started at one time or another. The team had a turnover margin of MINUS 18 (not a misprint) and still had a winning record and lost to App, Wofford and Elon by a combined 5 points.

Hatcher returns his starting QB- in fact GSU returns a starting QB for the first time since 2004- and all those freshmen have a year in the system and a year of real game experience. If they reduce that turnover margin to even or better they will be real tough and may be a surprise team nationally. 2010 and 2011 will be very good years to be an Eagle.

paward
March 19th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I like Hatcher, Love Chapple but do not think they will contend any better than last year. I want them to win it all just do not see it with the package they have. I hope that I am proven wrong.

Kill'em
March 19th, 2009, 11:53 PM
A lot of major performers from last season are missing from the 2009 roster
on the school website, and were not seniors. Are any still on the team?

Offense: Samair Baker, Darell Norman, Terence Hall, Jarrell Crawford,
Demarcus Watts, Marcus Russ, Steve Cundari & Nick Bass.

Defense: Brandon Echols & Lennie Richardson.

Any information from Eagle fams would be appreciated.

Echols' loss is no real loss. I have heard bad things about his attitude. He was booted off the team once but he met Hatcher's conditions to return last season. He has since declared himself for the NFL draft. He might as well not waste his time, he was a mediocre college defensive back. xoopsx

ASU
March 20th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Will high school players not think that the attitude at GaSo is that they
may be throw away players. I know that many GaSo fans will say that some of those players have bad attitudes, but this doesn't happen nearly so much at most schools.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM
may be throw away players. I know that many GaSo fans will say that some of those players have bad attitudes, but this doesn't happen nearly so much at most schools.

Maybe so, or maybe it does and Hatcher is the only coach in the country that isn't willing to put up with it and doesn't care about how it will look. It's not like the guys that were kicked off of the team were scout team scrubs that none of our fans had heard of before their names were in the paper for being dismissed from the team. Nick Bass and Samair Baker got a substantial amount of PT last year and some would argue they were two of the best '08 signees.

Either way I am not that worried. As I understand it it was this way when Hatcher coached at VSU and he managed a very good record and GSU is not on track to get in any APR trouble.

Kill'em
March 20th, 2009, 04:13 PM

I wouldn't call them "throw-away" players. Hatcher is all about team and is very hard-lined and unbending in this philosophy. Afterall this is why he took the names off the backs of the jerseys. He is like Bobby Knight in this case... well, a much friendlier version. I have nothing but admiration for him in this case. Lots of these buys were B.M.O.C's in highschool and some carry that attitude with them to college. Hatcher won't allow it.

Keeper
March 20th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I'll assume that none of them are still on the team.

Thanks to everyone for the follow-up info. Good luck GSU.