PDA

View Full Version : No Spring Game for ASU

appstate38
March 16th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Due to lack of depth the Mountaineers will not have a spring game this year. Any other teams in the same boat as us or is this a rare occurence???? On a brighter note AE cleared for practice as well as Robertson and McDuffie and Devon Moore.

here is the link

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=104458&SPID=12811&DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=3694194

kirkblitz
March 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM
thats odd ive never heard of that. no one wants to play in boone!??!

Wildcat80
March 17th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Even some FBS programs scale back their spring games at times due to depth concerns. Sounds like construction isalso a reason. I'd think the new OC would want a game to test things out before next fall though. I'm sure ASU will be at the top of the SoCon come fall.

Appinator
March 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM

We haven't had a spring game for a few years now. It was always justified because our season had been 16 games for 3 years in a row. Not the case this spring however......

Appinator
March 17th, 2009, 07:42 AM
It does look like there is some good news in that article though. Mcduffie, Moore and Robertson all were awarded medical redshirts as a result of last years injuries.

DLS
March 17th, 2009, 08:09 AM
sweet mcduffie is back and he's a freshman. marvelous. : )

mcveyrl
March 17th, 2009, 08:14 AM
This stinks for the fans, but the players probably don't mind. Coaches would probably like the game, but they'd rather have everybody healthy in the fall, I'm sure.

DLS
March 17th, 2009, 09:02 AM
honestly if the coaches think it's better in the long run then im not going to argue. im more than content just watching practice updates.

mebisonII
March 17th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Even some FBS programs scale back their spring games at times due to depth concerns. Sounds like construction isalso a reason. I'd think the new OC would want a game to test things out before next fall though. I'm sure ASU will be at the top of the SoCon come fall.

xnodx Iowa has a (rather lame IMO) open practice and very half-hearted "game" which is basically just some drills up and down the field. Good way to get inside Kinnick for free, though.

spdram
March 17th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Richmond has a Spring game, but it is usually just set plays and conditions. Almost like drills also. Good excuse to go out and tailgate with your friends though.

CrackerRiley
March 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Well, not only are they not having a spring game but any practices they are having are closed to the public. Looks like I'll just have to look from outside the gates for a little while.

SideLine Shooter
March 17th, 2009, 12:40 PM

I know the "teal beach chickens" don't want to play in Boone again.xnodxxlolx

danefan
March 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM
no spring game at Albany either - open practice with situational scrimmaging.

appfan2008
March 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM
its a bummer but in aint no big deal... spring games provide very little beyond fun for the fans... great to see us getting healthy though!

biggie
March 17th, 2009, 01:07 PM
This (including closing practices) may help focus the team, hopefully.

appfan2008
March 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM
This (including closing practices) may help focus the team, hopefully.

has focus been a problem? other than 2 idiots....

DLS
March 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
2?

i guess you mean dowda and tharrington.

biggie
March 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM
has focus been a problem? other than 2 idiots....
Something went downhill a little last year. But avoiding injuries this year may be the key as well.

Wildcat80
March 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Do any FCS schools charge for a spring game & if so what is your attendance?

g-webb1994
March 17th, 2009, 06:00 PM
OT - but why did y'all let Fancher go? Seemed like a solid hoops coach to me.

Skjellyfetti
March 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
OT - but why did y'all let Fancher go? Seemed like a solid hoops coach to me.

Mediocre in my opinion. I was surprised that he's gone with another year on his contract... but, I also like the Charlie Cobb isn't satisfied with mediocrity.

MaroonDoom
March 19th, 2009, 06:33 AM
As of today there will be no Spring game at EKU. New turf issues.

elon77
March 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Due to lack of depth the Mountaineers will not have a spring game this year. Any other teams in the same boat as us or is this a rare occurence???? On a brighter note AE cleared for practice as well as Robertson and McDuffie and Devon Moore.

here is the link

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=104458&SPID=12811&DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=3694194

I hate to open this back up, but I couldn't resist, Is this being blamed on Elon. I'm sorry, I know that the Mountain fans would love to be outside with their favorite liquid watching their boys play. xnodx

AshevilleApp2
March 19th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I hate to open this back up, but I couldn't resist, Is this being blamed on Elon. I'm sorry, I know that the Mountain fans would love to be outside with their favorite liquid watching their boys play. xnodx

You should have resisted.

DLS
March 19th, 2009, 09:07 AM

if elon were samurai they would fall on their swords . . . . . xwhistlex

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Why is depth an issue?

biggie
March 19th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Why is depth an issue?
Mostly due to recovering from injuries/surgeries.

I-AA Fan
March 19th, 2009, 10:23 AM
This is very common when the coach does not want to let people see something. (new plays, or total scheme). Also, when players are "questionable". Practice in spring impacts eligibility.

mountaineertider
March 19th, 2009, 10:41 AM
No spring practice when everyone is healing intrigues me. I have a feeling a change is coming... maybe not big, but I think we'll see something different in the fall.

biggie
March 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
We also have so many Freshmen coming in that could play, that the team would be completely different my next semester. Practice is probably more about strength and conditioning rather than running plays.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Mostly due to recovering from injuries/surgeries.

I mean why is it keeping you from having a spring game?

SoCon48
March 19th, 2009, 12:08 PM
We don't need any additional injuries created in a Spring game and lack of healthy starters to make the game interesting to fans. AE likely would sit out the Spring game. The fall scrimmage generates more interest. Plus no Spring game allows one more full practice. Practices are closed so coupled with no Spring game, allows new wrinkles to be be installed.

By the way, what is Do Right-Erk?? That phrase was initiated by Clemson's Frank Howard in his "Do Right Rule."

Syntax Error
March 19th, 2009, 01:17 PM
xnodx Iowa has a (rather lame IMO) open practice and very half-hearted "game" which is basically just some drills up and down the field...
Richmond has a Spring game, but it is usually just set plays and conditions. Almost like drills also...
no spring game at Albany either - open practice with situational scrimmaging.This is the way to go. Give the fans a special day and show off the team. Crunching each other is not really necessary but just having an occassion for the football hungry would seem to be a no-brainer. Yes, most practices are open anyway but since most have a "media/fan day" in the Fall, why not one at the end of Spring practices?

kirkblitz
March 19th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I know the "teal beach chickens" don't want to play in Boone again.xnodxxlolx

get some non biased ref's and we will be there anytime ;)

AshevilleApp2
March 19th, 2009, 03:17 PM
get some non biased ref's and we will be there anytime ;)

Yeah, it was definitely the ref's faults. xsmiley_wix

SoCon48
March 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM

xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

asuatl
March 19th, 2009, 09:53 PM
App State fans might be interested in this ASU football trivia site.

www.iknowcollegefootball.com

Kill'em
March 19th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Well, not only are they not having a spring game but any practices they are having are closed to the public. Looks like I'll just have to look from outside the gates for a little while.

That's odd. Coaches don't do anything fancy. Outside of trying a new scheme, it's usually working on fundamentals and seeing which of the younger players are ready to contribute.

kirkblitz
March 20th, 2009, 12:42 AM

im glad you agree :D

AshevilleApp2
March 20th, 2009, 08:42 AM
im glad you agree :D

xlolx xlolx

AppMan
March 23rd, 2009, 05:51 AM
Not having a Spring Game is not all that unusual for JM as he has finished up Spring practice with a controlled scrimmage many times during his tenure. I don't buy the idea behind closed practices due to construction since there is no construction on the East Side. Let people enter through the East Gate, don't allow people on the field, and block off the walkway to the South endzone where new bathrooms and concession stands are under constuction. I don't think anything new is being worked on, I just think they don't want to bother with people.

AppMan
March 23rd, 2009, 05:55 AM
Mediocre in my opinion. I was surprised that he's gone with another year on his contract... but, I also like the Charlie Cobb isn't satisfied with mediocrity.

A good man was railroaded out of town by a group of influential people in Boone. C Cobb & K Peacock had nothing to do with it. The Board of Trustees was influenced by a few locals. This was a case of small town politiics at its best.

SoCon48
March 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Especially since there's be all of 50 spectators there.

appfan2008
March 23rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
exactly... why not allow people on the east side... living in durham i for one would never be able to make it but it just doesnt seem right to use a pathetic excuse like that when the reason is they just dont want to bother with signs and gates and opening bathrooms and such

SoCon48
March 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
I've never seen anything at a Spring game, though, that couldn't be seen at a Spring practice.
My criticism has been in having our Spring practice begin so early compared to many programs..

El Gato
March 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Texas State is not having a spring game either, and there was thread about this earlier:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56415&highlight=texas+state

It bothered alot of bobcatfans, including me. Here is some of the reaction regarding this issue over on bobcatfans.com:
http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16673