PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Recruiting Ratings - Bucknell

carney2
March 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM
BUCKNELL = 70

Apologies to all, except KenZ. The ever vigilant bison137 has noted an error in the processing of the Bucknell Patsy Rating. After much squabbling, which resulted in a member of The Committee who shall remain me being smacked down by both the aforementioned 137 and an equally vigilant Lafayette poster, Andy, the Bucknell rating is being edited. All changes are noted in red. All Bucknell recruits were rerun to determine if the error occurred elsewhere. It did not. All recruits from schools that previously reported will be likewise rerun before the final school reports and the final ratings are issued.

QUALITY = 28: 8 rated recruits (30% of the class) vs. 7 (28%) in 2008 and 8 (27%) in 2007. A league leading four 2-star recruits, including a RB with decent size and speed and great statistics who apparently was passed over by many schools because he played against the smallest schools in PA. The Committee thinks this kid is a steal. A very good group by Bucknell standards. Heck, a very good group by Patriot League standards. If the coaching staff can’t get the Buffaloes out of the league toilet with this class, they should move on – or be moved on.

CLASS SIZE = 5: 27 recruits

DISTRIBUTION = 8: No recruit at TE. (Bucknell probably doesn’t need a TE recruit, given their offensive philosophy, but the rules are the rules.)

SPEED = 13: The usual disclaimer: information in this area is scarce.

TRIGGER = 0: The lone QB recruit is not rated. The Committee has already anointed this kid a “personal favorite” because of his name. Here’s hoping that he becomes a starter – and soon – so that his name will be heard over and over in all the league stadiums. (For those of you who have not noticed, The Committee has an unwritten policy of not using any recruit’s name in these write-ups. You will have to look this one up.)

JUMBO = 6: 6 OLs, 4 @ 270+ and 6 DLs, 2 @ 250+

NEEDS = 12:

Up Front Size = 5 (of 5): 6 Jumbos in the trenches and decent size in the LB recruits. The Smurfs will have to step aside for the big kids
OL = 4 (of 4): 6 OL recruits, 2 rated, 4 jumbos. The number of recruits would have deserved a positive response, but the 4 Jumbos nailed this.
DL = 3 (of 3): 6 DL recruits; 2 Jumbos; 2 rated, one a 2-star. The Committee considered withholding a point here, but the 2-star recruit, coupled with the number of recruits moved this group over the line.

THE COMMITTEE’S ADJUSTMENTS = MINUS 2

The Committee feels that there is a lot of point distribution for essentially the same thing going on in the Needs section. Call it double counting if you will. The only decision here was whether to deduct 1 point or 2. Since the DL group shaded over the line (see above) to the good, it was decided that Bucknell already has its Mulligan for this round, and a 2 point deduction is needed in the interest of fairness.

Here’s where we stand with 6 reported and 1 to go. Ties are listed in the order that schools released their information.

1. 70 – Lehigh
1. 70 - Bucknell
3. 60 - Lafayette (A)
4. 50 - Colgate
5. 45 - Holy Cross
6. 35 – Fordham

(A) Adjusted from the original for verified additional recruits.

In case you’re wondering what all of this means, The Committee is convinced that a Patsy Points differential of 10 points or less in any given year is fairly inconsequential and may or may not have merit depending on the specifics. Over 10 however, we think is meaningful in almost every case.

Here are the three year totals with Bucknell included;

Lehigh: 212 Total Points (71 per year): 2007 = 68 (#2); 2008 = 74 (#2)
Lafayette: 195 Total Points (65 per year): 2007 = 77 (#1); 2008 = 58 (#6)
Bucknell: 177 Total Points (59 per year): 2007 = 54 (#5); 2008 = 53 (# 7)
Colgate: 171 Total Points (57 per year): 2007 = 57 (#4); 2008 = 64 (#5)
Fordham: 166 Total Points (55 per year): 2007 = 60 (#3); 2008 = 71 (#3)
Holy Cross: 133 Total Points (44 per year): 2007 = 22 (#7); 2008 = 66 (#4)

bison137
March 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM
BUCKNELL = 66

QUALITY = 25: 8 rated recruits (30% of the class) vs. 7 (28%) in 2008 and 8 (27%) in 2007. Three 2-star recruits, including a RB with decent size and speed and great statistics who apparently was passed over by many schools because he played against the smallest schools in PA. The Committee thinks this kid is a steal. A very good group by Bucknell standards. Heck, a very good group by Patriot League standards. If the coaching staff can’t get the Buffaloes out of the league toilet with this class, they should move on – or be moved on.

Is there something I'm missing about the rating system? BU has four players with 2 stars: Young from Scout, and Gallagher/Quarles/Gordon-Hamm from Rivals.

carney2
March 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Is there something I'm missing about the rating system? BU has four players with 2 stars: Young from Scout, and Gallagher/Quarles/Gordon-Hamm from Rivals.

You have joined KenZ in the Twilight Zone. Check your liquor supply. Check your "I'm with KenZ - and Act Like It" badge. Next, check your "mail" (i.e., check the message you were left on the "Bucknell announces recruiting class" post). Finally, check John Gallagher, RB on Rivals.com. He isn't a 2-star. He isn't a 1-star. He isn't there. At 5'11, 175 he sounds like something Lafayette was running between the tackles last fall - and with disastrous results. A 2-star isn't going to Southern Cal, but it does represent that some recruiting noise is out there. A 175 lb. RB with 4.6 speed?!! I'm finding him with one star from Scouts. That's it.

bison137
March 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM
You have joined KenZ in the Twilight Zone. Check your liquor supply. Check your "I'm with KenZ - and Act Like It" badge. Next, check your "mail" (i.e., check the message you were left on the "Bucknell announces recruiting class" post). Finally, check John Gallagher, RB on Rivals.com. He isn't a 2-star. He isn't a 1-star. He isn't there. At 5'11, 175 he sounds like something Lafayette was running between the tackles last fall - and with disastrous results. A 2-star isn't going to Southern Cal, but it does represent that some recruiting noise is out there. A 175 lb. RB with 4.6 speed?!! I'm finding him with one star from Scouts. That's it.

Check my post on the other thread, where I gave a link to his Rivals two star bio. I realize that many of the 40 times may be suspect, but it is listed as 4.41. The 4.60 is more than a year out of date btw. Here is the link again:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=77504

JOHN GALLAGHER

Cornerback
Blairstown (NJ) Blair Academy

Ht: 5-foot-11
Wt: 180 lbs
Forty: 4.41 secs
Vertical: 34 inches
Shuttle: 4.23 secs
Class: 2009 (High School)

2 STARS

- - - - -

At 5-foot-11, 180-pounds, you might be surprised to learn that John Gallagher lines up at fullback and linebacker but is still one of New Jersey's most highly sought-after recruits from the Class of 2009.

Gallagher would have to make a switch to defensive back at the college level, but his production was just fine last year.

He had 60 carries for 400 yards and three touchdowns at fullback, and defensively he recorded 66 tackles, two interceptions and recovered three fumbles.

"I'm hoping to play safety or (cornerback) in college," Gallagher said. "I played there my freshman and sophomore years and just made the switch (to linebacker) last year.

"I've gotten mail from UConn, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, Princeton and Columbia. That's pretty much it right now."

Gallagher said two schools were standing out.

"I actually really like UConn and Georgia Tech a lot," he said. "Connecticut has been sending me a lot of mail, and they're supposed to have a great weight room. The facilities stand out to me.

"Georgia Tech is in the south. It's warm and that would be good playing weather. It seems like a good school too."

Gallagher plans to attend UConn's Junior Day, and will attend summer camps at UConn, Boston College and Rutgers.

carney2
March 14th, 2009, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=bison137;1317976]Check my post on the other thread, where I gave a link to his Rivals two star bio. I realize that many of the 40 times may be suspect, but it is listed as 4.41. The 4.60 is more than a year out of date btw. Here is the link again:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=77504

You showed me yours. Now I'll show you mine:

Go to www.rivals.com

Place your cursor on the "Football Recruiting" tab

Choose "Recruit Search" from the drop down box

Set the "Select a Year" drop down box to 2009.

Type "John" in the "First Name" box

Type "Gallagher" in the "Last Name" box

Hit the "Search" button

Tell me what you get.

Unless and until you can explain the difference between "yours" and "mine," Bucknell has three 2-stars.

bison137
March 14th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I just did what you said and Gallagher's name came up - one of two John Gallagher's - and he still is a 2 star player, the same as the other three times.

Gallgher's Rivals page: http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=77504

Andy
March 14th, 2009, 10:38 PM
john gallagher is a rivals two star recruit at the CB position.

bison137
March 14th, 2009, 10:53 PM
john gallagher is a rivals two star recruit at the CB position.

Yes he is - except in Carney's parallel universe. xlolx

carney2
March 14th, 2009, 11:07 PM
You guys are up late.

Oops, and I stand corrected. I shall make the necessary changes - tomorrow.

carney2
March 15th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The Bucknell ratings have been edited. You are advised to check the 1st post of this thread for the Updated Patsy Ratings.

ngineer
March 15th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I'm seeing red! xmadx;):D

carney2
March 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I'm seeing red! xmadx;):D

No, you're seeing orange - and blue.

MDFAN
March 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
God Bless The Patsy Ratings....

DFW HOYA
March 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
God Bless The Patsy Ratings....

Yes, let's give credit where it is due. With the exception of Keith Groller, there isn't a reporter out there doing the legwork on the PL recruiting classes that is posted on this board, and asking the hard questions that reporters should, but do not.

Is the Sunbury Item asking about the strength of Bucknell's class? Is the Telegram-Gazette asking about Holy Cross? Has any NYC paper raised the issue of Fordham's college football aspirations while its basketball program just finished a 3-25 season? Did one Washington paper even send a reporter to a Georgetown home game last season? (Answers: no, no, no, and probably not.)

As it stands, this conference has no radio deal, no TV deal, no beat reporters in its two largest markets, and were it not for the autobid, no interest south of I-78. Instead of holding the next PL media day at a Holiday Inn Express in Bethlehem, go up to ESPN Zone in New York, bring together a half dozen from this board, and get some real questions out there.

RichH2
March 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Carney,despite his curmudgeonly tendencies, all caused by KenZ, no doubt, has brought distinction to himself and a lot of fun to the rest of us. peopletent to forget that his system is still a work in progress getting better each year. If you want to help post links early on your recruits so info is more available for him.

Ken_Z
March 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM
whoa, carney was a curmudgeon long before i helped highlight this fact for the rest of the world to see.

colorless raider
March 15th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Yes, let's give credit where it is due. With the exception of Keith Groller, there isn't a reporter out there doing the legwork on the PL recruiting classes that is posted on this board, and asking the hard questions that reporters should, but do not.

Is the Sunbury Item asking about the strength of Bucknell's class? Is the Telegram-Gazette asking about Holy Cross? Has any NYC paper raised the issue of Fordham's college football aspirations while its basketball program just finished a 3-25 season? Did one Washington paper even send a reporter to a Georgetown home game last season? (Answers: no, no, no, and probably not.)

As it stands, this conference has no radio deal, no TV deal, no beat reporters in its two largest markets, and were it not for the autobid, no interest south of I-78. Instead of holding the next PL media day at a Holiday Inn Express in Bethlehem, go up to ESPN Zone in New York, bring together a half dozen from this board, and get some real questions out there.

In order to get the recognition we need we need to get a new stronger commissioner.

RichH2
March 15th, 2009, 06:55 PM
A new commissioner? The presidents are the group that controls the fate of PL football.

ngineer
March 15th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Yes, I don't think the PL Commissioner has much authority. The institution presidents call the shots. I think she's basically a 'manager/administrator' as opposed to what one would expect in a commissioner.