PDA

View Full Version : Big Dance Selection ==> FCS Playoffs

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Seeing the threads in the Other Sports forum reminded me of something I thought about back in November reading all the threads about the selection of the FCS Playoff teams. I was too busy traveling back then to post. xoopsx But I figured it was worth mentioning this week with Selection Sunday looming.

Hopefully, everyone will be paying attention to the basketball selections and observe that the criteria is virtually the same as our playoffs. That is, some win AQ's and some get at large bids based on strength of schedule and their record. All those underdogs and Cinderellas that we all love so much (including me) get selected the same way as teams do for our playoffs. There are no gratuitous selections made to add another Cinderella or to give someone new an opportunity to compete. Some power conferences are going to get eight or nine teams selected. Many conferences will only get their AQ because their strength was determined to be weaker than other conferences.

Folks, this is the same process/criteria as used by the FCS Committee! Butler or Davidson aren't going to be picked because of a high Cinderella factor. They be selected if they shake out in the relative strength comparison. JMHO, but back in November I actually felt that people thought some hoop teams were chosen to have more underdogs. Not the case at all. Sometimes we just luck out and get some great Cinderella stories. xpeacex

UAalum72
March 11th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Except that in basketball, all conferences participate, and every single one gets an autobid.

JBB
March 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Not true. The GWC doesnt get an auto bid.

UAalum72
March 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Not true. The GWC doesnt get an auto bid.
Because it isn't qualified yet. Didn't it just start basketball this year, with almost half its schools still in transition and not eligible for the tournament? When it's been together long enough and follows all the written rules in place, it WILL get an autobid to basketball.

In FCS, The Ivy League and Pioneer League choose as a matter of policy not to ask for an autobid, the SWAC generally doesn't make its top teams available so they can have a championship game, the Big South didn't have enough teams until recently, Great West football still doesn't, and the NEC was denied an autobid despite following the rules in place and asking for one (until being granted a 'conditional autobid' this year).

ValleyChamp
March 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Boy you got that right. You know what both the NCAA basketball selections and the FCS playoff selections have in common? The UNI Panthers!

achrist70
March 11th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Boy you got that right. You know what both the NCAA basketball selections and the FCS playoff selections have in common? The UNI Panthers!

Best post on here in a long time!

Syntax Error
March 11th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Basketball, that is the game played with a bouncy ball by boys and girls in shorts and no pads right? Like golf or something where they put the ball in the hole right?

bouncy
bouncy
ball in the hole

over and over, yawn!

xlmaox

UAalum72
March 11th, 2009, 11:19 PM
But they don't have to call a meeting before every play.

Syntax Error
March 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM
...the NEC was denied an autobid despite following the rules in place and asking for one (until being granted a 'conditional autobid' this year).Here we go again. The selection was done by choosing the 8 most qualified conferences in the past. The NEC didn't qualify as one of the 8 best. Last year it changed so that in 2010 it will be done by letting anyone who is qualified and asks for one.

UAalum72
March 12th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Here we go again. The selection was done by choosing the 8 most qualified conferences in the past. The NEC didn't qualify as one of the 8 best. Last year it changed so that in 2010 it will be done by letting anyone who is qualified and asks for one.
Get that bug about the NEC out of your ass. The statement in the first post was that playoff selection was the same in basketball and FCS. I made a simple statement of fact about how the FCS playoff selection is different from basketball playoff selection - in every other sport, there are enough autobids for every conference, and every eligible conference gets (and takes) an autobid, but it's different in FCS.

89Hen
March 12th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Good discussion on Mike and Mike this morning about this. Jay Bilas (and Golic agreed) that they should take the best 64 and not have all these autos. Greenie took the other side. It's the same discussion we have every year about I-AA football.

The one MAJOR difference in basketball and our autos are how they are determined. Last year 4-12 Georgia (last place) got the SEC auto by winning the conference tourney. Apparently it's up to each conference how they select their auto and it just so happens that they all (except Ivy correct?) use their tournament champion. That's stupid. The case of Cleveland State and the Horizon is a perfect example. I'm in no way saying Butler took a dive, but without them losing, the Horizon is a one bid conference. I think these conferences like having the chance of getting two teams in when they really should have only one.

Syntax Error
March 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
...the NEC was denied an autobid despite following the rules in place and asking for one...
...The selection was done by choosing the 8 most qualified conferences in the past. The NEC didn't qualify as one of the 8 best...
Get that bug about the NEC out of your ass. The statement in the first post was that playoff selection was the same in basketball and FCS...xconfusedxxconfusedx What bug? Just clarifying that the NEC was not denied an AQ "despite following the rules in place and asking for one", it was denied because it wasn't one of the top 8 conferences. Now you don't have to worry about that. That's all. I could ask you to get that chip off your shoulder. xcoffeex

I wonder how long this baskeetbool thread will stay in FCS discussion? xwhistlex

danefan
March 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM
xconfusedxxconfusedx What bug? Just clarifying that the NEC was not denied an AQ "despite following the rules in place and asking for one", it was denied because it wasn't one of the top 8 conferences. Now you don't have to worry about that. That's all. I could ask you to get that chip off your shoulder. xcoffeex

I wonder how long this baskeetbool thread will stay in FCS discussion? xwhistlex

This is an FCS thread.

What he was pointing out (which I'm sure was clear to just about everyone) was that unlike the NCAA basketball tournament (and every other NCAA tournament), the NCAA added a completely subjective criteria to the autobid selection process for the FCS playoffs.

Its pretty clear you don't agree with the decisions of the NCAA to expand the playoffs to be consistent with every other NCAA tournament. But how long until you get over it and accept it? xpeacex

Syntax Error
March 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
... the constant whining about it is just tiresome. It is a done deal and Albany fans bringing up the whiny past incorrectly is tiresome. xpeacex

danefan
March 12th, 2009, 03:11 PM
It is a done deal and Albany fans bringing up the whiny past incorrectly is tiresome. xpeacex

Actually - he didn't bring up the past. He brought up the present. The 2009 season AQ selection process which is still subject to the subjective criteria.

And what is incorrect about what he said?

And so you don't get accused of changing my quote - I was editing my original post while you were posting your reply. So, yes I did originally say it was tiresome.

Syntax Error
March 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM
... the NEC was denied an autobid despite following the rules in place and asking for one (until being granted a 'conditional autobid' this year).
Actually - he didn't bring up the past.This is definitely not worth another post but the Albany fan brought up the past incorrectly, I quoted it when I set the record straight. BTW, the present is moot, done, over, complete. One more bridge year for the NEC and then AQ heaven! xthumbsupx

89Hen
March 12th, 2009, 03:37 PM
xoopsx xblahblahx xarguex :pumpuke: xflaggedx xdeadhorsex

UAalum72
March 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM
For the record, I was correct. 1)The NEC was eligible to apply for an autobid, 2)they applied, and 3)the committee denied it. Which of these does Mr. Error think is incorrect, 1, 2, or 3?

Even the conditional AQ in FCS is different from other NCAA sports, the point of the thread.

Sorry for the late response but I was at a wake.

Model Citizen
March 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Another silly thread. Schools such as Butler and Morehead State will have basketball teams competing for a championship at the highest level of college athletics.

FCS is many things, but top level it isn't.

Syntax Error
March 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Another silly thread. Schools such as Butler and Morehead State will have basketball teams competing for a championship at the highest level of college athletics.
FCS is many things, but top level it isn't.Look motelcitizen, there's the door vvvvvvvvv
http://mtelizabeth.com/img/master_bedroom.jpg xlolx xsmiley_wix

BTW, the FCS is the top level of NCAA D-I Football Championships, just like the BIG DANCE is for NCAA D-I Baskeetbool Championships. xnodx xrulesx

Syntax Error
March 12th, 2009, 09:21 PM
For the record, I was correct. 1)The NEC was eligible to apply for an autobid, 2)they applied, and 3)the committee denied it...You just omitted why the NEC was not selected. xcoffeex There was a different reason this past year the NEC didn't get an AQ. Let's hope the NEC is successful this coming year. Would that be the first time an NCAA tournament team got an AQ in such a conditional manner? If so, GO MAKE HISTORY NEC!!! xthumbsupx

The FCS tournament stands out in so many ways from other sports in all three divisions. How many others have conferences that don't ask for an AQ, or refuse an AQ, or schedule conflicts that prevent an AQ? (is all that more strange than the FBS which refuses to have a tournament at all?)

It's a special, wacky world in the top tier of NCAA Championship football. xnodx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 13th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Folks, my purpose for the thread was to remind all the people who in November are looking for a FCS playoff selection to be based on having a Cinderella or giving other teams an opportunity doesn't happen in basketball. All those people in November reference the basketball tournament and how great it is with the upsets by underdogs. They fail to acknowledge that those teams are selected on a merit basis and not made to give new teams a chance or to have another Cinderella team. And they definitely have multiple bids from power conferences, often eight or nine teams.

SE, it's a known fact that you dislike basketball. My comparison to the NCAA Basketball Tournament selection process to the FCS playoffs has merit. It was not a basketball thread. If it was I would have started the thread on the "Other Sports" forum. You could have taken the high road and not made any comments about basketball. xtwocentsx xpeacex

UAalum72
March 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Why the NEC was not selected is not an issue here. But thank you for pointing out more differences between FCS and the rest of the NCAA : 1) FCS is the only place with fewer AQs than eligible conferences 2) FCS is the only place where 'eligiblity standards' for conference AQ are not identical to "qualifying" standards for an AQ.