PDA

View Full Version : G-Webb trying to get game with Ole Miss?

g-webb1994
March 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090310/SPORTS030103/90310011

If they say the date will be September 12, would G-W "Furmanize" WCU to do it?xeekx

UNHWildCats
March 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090310/SPORTS030103/90310011

If they say the date will be September 12, would G-W "Furmanize" WCU to do it?xeekx
9/19 at North Carolina State
10/10 at Buffalo
9/12 at Mississippi

xeekxxeekxxeekxxeekxxeekxxeekxxeekx

For what its work WCU could try moving itsd Furman game to Oct 10 and then the G-W game to Sep 26 clearing the Sep 12 date.

Or WCU could try moving its Wofford game to the 10th and clearing Oct 24 for the G-W game.

EagleDawg
March 10th, 2009, 05:02 PM
GWebb1994 - All I can think of is wow!! If GWU pulls in the Ole Miss game that's match-ups against the SEC, ACC and Mid-American (all BCS) and likely 3 pretty nice paydays. On the other hand I can't see anyway to hold on to WCU for the 11th game so GWU would still be searching for that 11th game. Morgan State with 6 home games already on the schedule and an open date on Sept 26th looks like a possibility along with Jackson State and Prairie View A&M. Maybe WCU can work something out with Furman or Wofford as stated in the previous post. With such a tough schedule lining up it sure would be helpful to make the 11th game a home game (6 away, 5 at home) but if it works out with WCU then its 7 away and 4 at home. Not sure any other FCS school would have a tougher overall schedule but others can chime in. The existing Dawgs and those new pups on the way have the potential with this schedule to make folks stand up and take notice. Hit those weights boys, have a great spring practice and get ready to strap it up. The coaches can and will develop solid game plans, it's all about execution, can't wait until the fall but looking forward to the spring game on the 28th this month.

Go Runnin BullDogsxnodxxnodxxnodxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

UNHWildCats
March 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
MAC isnt BCS

wilddog96
March 10th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I hope we get Ole Miss. You can't shock the world if you never play these game.
You don't go to college to play a bunch of wimps. Go play the best and try to pull the upset if you don't you lose nothing and get a big check and great experience.

elcid83
March 11th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Just took a gander at Ole Miss' Rivals site and their bulletin board is burning up with rage over the possibility of playing GW. Primarily because this will be their 2nd Div I-AA game for 2009 and only 1 game will count for bowl eligibility purposes. I am glad to see our coaches looking for more competitive games to fill our schedule vacancies rather than looking for Div II opponents.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Sly Fox
March 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Sometimes it is tough to find what you are looking for in scheduling. We have a DII on our schedule this fall despite every effort conceivable to avoid it.

jstate83
March 11th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Just took a gander at Ole Miss' Rivals site and their bulletin board is burning up with rage over the possibility of playing GW. Primarily because this will be their 2nd Div I-AA game for 2009 and only 1 game will count for bowl eligibility purposes. I am glad to see our coaches looking for more competitive games to fill our schedule vacancies rather than looking for Div II opponents.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

They pi$$ed at Ole Pi$$ because they already got one FCS school scheduled for next year.
With the team they have comming back and the recruit's comming in, they are thinking SEC Championship and BCS Bowl.

I don't doubt they trying but I'll give this a few week's before I believe this game will be played.xthumbsupx

EagleDawg
March 11th, 2009, 05:24 PM
UNHWildcats - Not trying to split hairs but Buffalo plays at the BCS level as do all other old D1 teams versus FCS teams (old 1AA) that do not. Buffalo (MAC Conf.) played in the International Bowl against Connecticut out of the Big East Conference which has a BCS Automatic Bid I believe. All non-automatic BCS conference qualifiers (example Boise State vs Oklahoma in 2008 Fiesta Bowl) can qualify for a BCS Bowl bid. That's at least my understanding. If I'm wrong, I'm sure it won't take too long before I'm corrected.

danefan
March 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM
UNHWildcats - Not trying to split hairs but Buffalo plays at the BCS level as do all other old D1 teams versus FCS teams (old 1AA) that do not. Buffalo (MAC Conf.) played in the International Bowl against Connecticut out of the Big East Conference which has a BCS Automatic Bid I believe. All non-automatic BCS conference qualifiers (example Boise State vs Oklahoma in 2008 Fiesta Bowl) can qualify for a BCS Bowl bid. That's at least my understanding. If I'm wrong, I'm sure it won't take too long before I'm corrected.

The MAC is an FBS conference. (FBS vs. FCS = IA vs. IAA).

There are BCS conferences within the FBS classification (e.g. Big East, ACC, etc.)

Both FBS and FCS teams are Division I.

UNHWildCats
March 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM
BCS is Bowl Championship Series. Schools that are members of the Big East, Big Ten, Big XII, ACC, SEC, Pac 10 are BCS schools, not all teams at the old Div I-A level are BCS, they are FBS.... but not trying to split any hairs or anything xrolleyesx

elcid83
March 12th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I know we'll need to let it play out, but, the posters on Ole Miss' board are now saying that the GW game has fallen through. That GW has pulled away. I know these guys probably don't know anything either, but several different posters are saying this.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

jstate83
March 12th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I know we'll need to let it play out, but, the posters on Ole Miss' board are now saying that the GW game has fallen through. That GW has pulled away. I know these guys probably don't know anything either, but several different posters are saying this.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

They working overtime on this.
Right now, they really don't care who they play as long as it's a FBS school at home.

GridFan
March 12th, 2009, 11:49 AM
The Ole Miss/G-W possibility has been shut down by G-W as of today I'm told. The admin. at G-W looked at switching some games around with WCU, but the dates just couldn't work out.

So G-W stood by their word/contract with Western Carolina, and honored it. I'm proud they did that honestly. Especially after so many contracts have been broken this offseason.

On the upside, the schedule is a day or so from being finalized. 11 games. five at home.

EagleDawg
March 12th, 2009, 12:18 PM
GridFan - You seem to be in a position to know so if you can, who's the 11th game with? If you can't say, can you at least share is it a BCS, FCS or D2 team? What's the date for the scheduled 11th game?

GridFan
March 12th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Wasn't shared with me as to who the team is, but it is a D2 squad on October 24. This was from a recent student/grad. I'm sure once all the I's are crossed and T's dotted, it will be released.

g-webb1994
March 12th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Two D-2's and two FBS teams on the schedule. Not bad, not great. More proud we kept our deal with WCU, hope it means WCU comes to Boiling Springs next year or the year after.

GridFan
March 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM
The 2009 Schedule has been officially released on the web. It's Southern Virginia on October 24 in the Springs.

I like the idea of having an open date between NC State and Big South play on 10/3 at VMI.

http://www.gwusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3691527&DB_OEM_ID=10300

catamount man
March 12th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Glad GW honored their contract. We owe you guys for 2004. ;)

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

g-webb1994
March 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I don't understand the dragging of feet at G-W with the scheduling. Sorry, the greatness of having NC State and Buffalo on the slate is squashed by putting not only Mars Hill, but NAIA Southern Virginia on there. I'd rather play an actual NCAA D-3 football school like Davidson or Campbell before any NAIA team, having Jacksonville back on the schedule would look better than this.

At least we know we have WCU coming our way in 2010, and a road trip to Sam Houston, so that only leaves three dates to fill.

Also a game at Ohio U. in 2011 on the docket, so maybe they are trying to become a bit more proactive in scheduling over at the Webb.

Then again, another mediocre 6-5 record at best is in store, ever since we won the Big South in '03, we've gone 5-6, 5-6, 6-5, 5-6 and 5-6. Any other school would have made a coaching change with those results. The whole athletic department over there is content with mediocrity in all sports, especially in the money-makers of football and mens hoops.

elcid83
March 12th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Here's the schedule if you don't want to click a link:

2009 GARDNER-WEBB FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
09/05 MARS HILL (GWU) - 6:00
09/12 at Western Carolina (Cullowhee, N.C.) - 7:00
09/19 at NC State (Raleigh, N.C.) - TBA
10/03 at VMI * (Lexington, Va.) - 1:00
10/10 at Buffalo (Buffalo, N.Y.) - TBA
10/17 CHARLESTON SOUTHERN * (GWU) - 6:00
10/24 SOUTHERN VIRGINIA (GWU) - 6:00
10/31 STONY BROOK * (GWU / Homecoming) - 1:30
11/07 at Coastal Carolina * (Conway, S.C.) - 7:00
11/14 LIBERTY * (GWU) - 1:30
11/21 at Presbyterian * (Clinton, S.C.) - 1:30

* Denotes Big South Conference game
HOME GAMES BOLD/ALL CAPS

EagleDawg
March 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM
No disrespect to Southern Virginia but that's quite a different level of opponent than SEC Ole Miss. Glad that GWU honored their contract with Western Carolina though and hope that the return game is honored by the Cats as well. With that said, getting a fifth home game should make it a bit easier on the wallet for Dawg Fans. Should the Dawgs manage to run the table or limit their conference losses to just one game, a 8-3 or 9-2 season can be had. Continued improvement defensively and limiting the turnovers on offense that led to at least 2 if not 3 of the conference losses last season are key. The incoming recruiting class should pay dividends immediately with improved depth and a winning attitude from some highly successful HS programs. Not going to make predictions here but keeping the fingers crossed for improved success for the Dawgs in 09.xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

g-webb1994
March 12th, 2009, 09:19 PM
No disrespect to Southern Virginia but that's quite a different level of opponent than SEC Ole Miss. Glad that GWU honored their contract with Western Carolina though and hope that the return game is honored by the Cats as well. With that said, getting a fifth home game should make it a bit easier on the wallet for Dawg Fans. Should the Dawgs manage to run the table or limit their conference losses to just one game, a 8-3 or 9-2 season can be had. Continued improvement defensively and limiting the turnovers on offense that led to at least 2 if not 3 of the conference losses last season are key. The incoming recruiting class should pay dividends immediately with improved depth and a winning attitude from some highly successful HS programs. Not going to make predictions here but keeping the fingers crossed for improved success for the Dawgs in 09.xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

xhomerx

Drink up that G-W flavored Kool-Aid my friend.xthumbsupx

Here's to hoping I'm eating crow with an 8-3 or 9-2 season, but I'm not breaking out the eatin' utensils yet.

EagleDawg
March 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM
GWebb1994 - This new Dawg fan is not drinking any Kool-Aid for sure, maybe a cold draft or bourbon and coke but definitely not Kool-Aid. The Dawgs Defensive stats were overall quite impressive last season and had the offense not committed a basket of turnovers last season in just a few of those games, I think you're looking at 7-4 or 8-3 vs 5-6. The 10-7 loss to Ga. Tech, a BCS Bowl Team, shows the potential for the program. With that said, until proven otherwise on the field and over the course of a full season, if not multiple seasons in succession, it's just that - POTENTIAL. I just sense as a new Dawg fan that this year's recruiting class continues a pattern of improved recruiting and the scheduling seems to be improving generally as well. We're not where we want to be but in many ways we're moving in the right direction and so a combination of anticipation, hope and patience should be exercised by the GWU fans who want to see the Dawgs succeed. I for one am willing to do just that for the next few seasons and see what shakes out. If you're agonizing in anyway, have a splash or two of your favorite beverage and consider we're not trying to fix 0-11, 1-10, 2-9, 3-8 or 4-7. I bet there are a few other new Dawg fans who just might agree with me on this one.xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

wilddog96
March 13th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I agree with you Eagle Dawg.

EagleDawg
March 13th, 2009, 03:45 PM
WildDog - Thanks and I look forward to meeting you two weeks from tomorrow at the Spring Game. Here's hoping that the weather is good.

wilddog96
March 13th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Sounds great. 1994 I hope to meet you also. We need all the Bulldog fans to come together and make GWU a great place to play.

catamount man
March 13th, 2009, 06:41 PM
If we're returning to GW in 2010, then our non-SoCon slate is set. At GW, at NC State and Tusculum (d2) coming to Cullowhee.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Redbirdz
March 13th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Jacksonville State has Ole Miss next year. This is a game that has been scheduled for some time.

g-webb1994
March 14th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Sounds great. 1994 I hope to meet you also. We need all the Bulldog fans to come together and make GWU a great place to play.

Sorry, the spring game is out for me, I hope to be trout fishing in the Gulf of Mexico that weekend, so all is not lost.xrotatehx

The schedule is laid out nicely where a great season can be had, whether we can break through with at least seven wins remains to be seen. I like the 'see-saw' effect during October of a conference game one week, then out of conference the next. You would think the team would play a lot looser with that kind of layout.

wilddog96
March 14th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Good luck with the fishing. Hopefully we can get together before a game.

bulldogdad
March 14th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Eagle Dawg, I agree as well. I think this years team will build something special. We have a lot to work with and a lot coming in to help. I believe an 8-3 season would be great considering the schedule. Will miss you all at the spring game. We will be on a cruise that week for spring break. Hope to see some of you at a practice. Also welcome Wilddog96.

GeauxLions94
March 14th, 2009, 11:52 AM

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

The other FCS school in the mix is Southeastern Louisiana, which plays at Ole Miss on Sept. 19

They pi$$ed at Ole Pi$$ because they already got one FCS school scheduled for next year.
With the team they have comming back and the recruit's comming in, they are thinking SEC Championship and BCS Bowl.

I don't doubt they trying but I'll give this a few week's before I believe this game will be played.xthumbsupx

Our game with Ole Miss was originally scheduled for Sept. 12, but the good ole folks at ESPN were trying get the Rebels to move our game so that they could accomadate a change in the SEC schedule (looking to be South Carolina).

With the team they have coming back after the Cotton Bowl win, Ole Miss doesn't want two FCS games on the schedule.

CID1990
March 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
We played Ole Miss a few years back and I can tell you that it was one of our best away games EVER. In fact, it was a better time than even Arkansas. They really put on a great party there.

elcid83
March 14th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Eagle Dawg, I agree as well. I think this years team will build something special. We have a lot to work with and a lot coming in to help. I believe an 8-3 season would be great considering the schedule. Will miss you all at the spring game. We will be on a cruise that week for spring break. Hope to see some of you at a practice. Also welcome Wilddog96.

Bulldog,

Sorry we'll miss you at the Spring Game. It sounds like Coach Patton has a pretty good day lined up for the pups. I know there was some griping about the 2009 schedule. In looking at the other Big South schools, it appears that our schedule is as strong as anybody's. PC does a good job of playing other Div I-AA schools, but, they don't have the D-I lineup we have. I look forward to seeing everybody on the 28th.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

g-webb1994
March 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
G-W in 2010 is shaping up already, WCU at home (assuming a return game), at Old Dominion, at Sam Houston. I wonder if the Tennessee Tech game this year was a complete buyout, or will they come to our place in 2010? If so, that is 4 of 6 out of conference games we need already taken care of. Land one FBS level team and one cupcake D-2 and we're set.xthumbsupx

EagleDawg
March 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM
GWebb1994 - If so, you were on to something even better. Unless GWU is looking at a 12 game schedule they would have 4 0f 5 OOC games locked in since they now play 6 Big South Games (Stony Brook, VMI, Liberty, Coastal Carolina, Charleston Southern & Presbyterian). They may skip over a FBS Team in 2010 and try to find another home game to give them 5 home games. It would be great for the Big South to expand to 9 teams for football so you only have to schedule 3 OOC games similar to the SOCON. Any chance you see that happening over the next 3 to 5 years and if so who would be team candidates? There have been a lot of posts on AGS about Albany and Fordham joining to give Stony Brook some natural rivalries. Any teams in GA or AL that might be a fit?

g-webb1994
March 15th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I know the economy is in the tank, so the prospect of a D-2 moving up like Presbyterian has done is now not too likely to take place. I was of the thinking that Wingate could move up from D-2 and the SAC, they have solid facilities and alot of alumni money and are right next door to the Charlotte market.

If Campbell were to ever move their football program up from non-scholly, then they would be an absolute great fit. They just opened their new arena, and their new football stadium is real nice. I was happy when G-W bolted from the Atlantic Sun because of the travel and lack of rivalries. Campbell is just hanging out there in eastern NC with nobody around, their closest conference opponenet is USC-Upstate in Spartanburg.

Also, if East Tennessee State would ever bring football back, they would be a great fit too.

Look for Campbell and ETSU to at least explore the Big South for most of their programs if Belmont and Lipscomb make their anticipated move from the A-Sun to the OVC.

All due respect for Stony Brook, but I can't see them in the Big South for no more than three years since they are football-only. They'll find a better fit up in New England at some point I'm sure, but glad they're in the BS for now.

SoCon48
March 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
The Ole Miss/G-W possibility has been shut down by G-W as of today I'm told. The admin. at G-W looked at switching some games around with WCU, but the dates just couldn't work out.

So G-W stood by their word/contract with Western Carolina, and honored it. I'm proud they did that honestly. Especially after so many contracts have been broken this offseason.

On the upside, the schedule is a day or so from being finalized. 11 games. five at home.

Or perhaps they looked at the Miss proceeds minus paying the buyout cost to WCU wasn't worth it/ Plus the chances of playing WCU again diminished.

g-webb1994
March 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Or perhaps they looked at the Miss proceeds minus paying the buyout cost to WCU wasn't worth it/ Plus the chances of playing WCU again diminished.

I think, if we knew the truth, Ole Miss quickly ended talks after their fanbase nearly imploded when they found out Ole Miss was considering putting G-W on their schedule. They are thinking big down in Oxford this year, and justly so.

I wonder if any of the Tenn Tech people here know if their trip here that they backed out of for K-State this season is being pushed back at all, or did TT buy us out?

jstate83
March 16th, 2009, 05:16 PM
We played Ole Miss a few years back and I can tell you that it was one of our best away games EVER. In fact, it was a better time than even Arkansas. They really put on a great party there.

That's why Ole Miss is consistantly ranked in the top 5 party school's.
Don't matter who they play or what their record is, the GROVE is going to be packed elbow to elbow.

They hate that ranking with a passion but they do it to themselves.
THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO STOP ONCE THE PARTY STARTS.xlolx