PDA

View Full Version : Big Three Conference

Collegefootballfan
March 7th, 2009, 11:01 AM
With all the talk of Fordham making a push for scholarships why not take it
a step further and go all the way and move to D 1 . With D1 you get all the
perks associated with scholarship football.
A perfect conference would be Fordham , Army, Navy, Both Army and Navy
have been looking for a conference for years and this would help them out.
Also the Big Three would be in total control and all three would be on equal
footing. None would have to give up thier Basketball associations
If any got to a Bowl it would be a three way split. Ka-ching.
Also it might edge on other schools to make the move sooner. Maybe Stony
Brook would make the jump along with UMASS, is always talking about it.
Not to mention the southern and florida teams that are moving up.
In a new conference all would be on equal footing.
There is alot of potential .

RichH2
March 7th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I dont see the potential there other than to be bottom feeders in FBS/

Collegefootballfan
March 7th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Bottom Feeders !!! We all have to start somewhere it would take time to build up
the league but the big thing is to get the ball rolling. Each school is in it
to bring exposure to there programs at the same time get as much bang for thier buck as possible . A Big Three conference would do that because there
are no other obtions left . Look at all the other discusions about this on this
forum and then tell me what schools like Fordham can do. Look what happened
to the MAAC Football conference. The Big Three Conference would allow them
to shedule teams on thier level build up a following without having to spend
millons to belong to other established conferences that would make them
real "Bottom Feeders". The point is that the Big Three Conference would
be a football only League with teams all on an even playing field.
An if successful would be the place for other schools to join without giving up
thier other associations.

Redwyn
March 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM

Not gonna lie...I all about schools moving up if they'd like, but in all seriousness the Navy and Army really shouldn't be up where they are. They're in I-A because the government insisted on it despite neither school meeting the entrance guidelines. I don't believe that an entire conference can just move up, it's just not likely from a money, attendance, admin, and scheduling standpoint.

Now in the very unlikely option Army/Navy go down...still no, I doubt it's feasible.

Franks Tanks
March 7th, 2009, 01:08 PM
How will Fordham attract 15k per game. They currently average much less than that and their stadium only hold 7k. The extra $ required to go to FBS would be enormous for them and will not happen. The are selling this move as no additional cost and I dount they would waiver from that in the down economy.

blukeys
March 7th, 2009, 11:46 PM
How will Fordham attract 15k per game. They currently average much less than that and their stadium only hold 7k. The extra $ required to go to FBS would be enormous for them and will not happen. The are selling this move as no additional cost and I dount they would waiver from that in the down economy.

You are quite right. The cost differential between a top notch FBS program and FCs is in the tens of millions of dollars. Even filling a 15 k stadium comes nowhere close to filling the gap.

Fordham is getting some decent paydays in playing Army and UConn. They would not get anymore if they were FBS.

Jackman
March 8th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Fordham without scholarships already spends more money on football than some FBS programs. We're talking about the lowest tier programs, obviously, but it's not like the PL is top tier FCS. It's a new stadium that can safely average 15k attendance that's the big financial barrier because FCS and low level FBS.

CollegeSportsInfo
March 8th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Fordham would need soooo much more to even consider a IA move. The upgrade they seek is just so that they can be on the same page as programs like URI, Towson etc with hopes of being a UD, JMU, Montana.

As for the references to Army and Navy, the complete opposite is true. Army was in CUSA and left to be solo. Navy has turned down invites in the past. In fact, even the Big East is less appealing than remaining independent right now for both schools. So I' not so sure about the premise that they've been lookign for conferences.

blukeys
March 8th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Fordham would need soooo much more to even consider a IA move. The upgrade they seek is just so that they can be on the same page as programs like URI, Towson etc with hopes of being a UD, JMU, Montana.

As for the references to Army and Navy, the complete opposite is true. Army was in CUSA and left to be solo. Navy has turned down invites in the past. In fact, even the Big East is less appealing than remaining independent right now for both schools. So I' not so sure about the premise that they've been lookign for conferences.

You are quite right. Navy gets a bowl invite every year and doesn't have to split the profits with anyone.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Navy and Army should be FCS. And they should be in the Patriot League. Unfortunately that will never happen - the generals in charge could never bear to "downgrade" their precious programs to FCS level (despite the fact that they could be FCS and still have the commander-in-chief trophy with Air Force, and Notre Dame could still schedule Navy as OOC).

The big problem with Fordham jumping to FBS and forming a "Big Three" with Army and Navy starts with revenue sharing - but another huge problem is where Fordham would play. They'd most certainly have to rent a stadium, possibly the Yankees' new stadium.

Franks Tanks
March 9th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Navy and Army should be FCS. And they should be in the Patriot League. Unfortunately that will never happen - the generals in charge could never bear to "downgrade" their precious programs to FCS level (despite the fact that they could be FCS and still have the commander-in-chief trophy with Air Force, and Notre Dame could still schedule Navy as OOC).

The big problem with Fordham jumping to FBS and forming a "Big Three" with Army and Navy starts with revenue sharing - but another huge problem is where Fordham would play. They'd most certainly have to rent a stadium, possibly the Yankees' new stadium.

You mean the Polo Grounds are no longer available? xlolx

bigSfan89
March 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
You are quite right. Navy gets a bowl invite every year and doesn't have to split the profits with anyone.

i think that Navy is happy where they are at present. like the Citadel and VMI recruiting the best players is difficult because of the military aspect. Navy has a good football team and as the underdog they sometimes get to surprise a better team> the win over Wake when Wake was ranked (16th) this past season is a good example. If navy can continue to beat Army, win 7 games and go to a bowl every year they will be happy and be able to contribute some $$ to Navy sports. Keep an even keel and avoid the sholes. Go Navy!!!

Seawolf97
March 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I doubt either academy would give up their FBS rating and drop down to FCS. Too much tradition and of course prestige and revenue, Not to mention the admirals and generals would not stand for it.

PantherRob82
March 9th, 2009, 10:56 PM
a step further and go all the way and move to D 1 .

Fordham is D-I, thanks for playing. xoopsx