PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Delaware Tidbits

bluehenbillk
March 5th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Read this on gohens, surprised it hasn't made it's way over here yet. From UD's Dir of Football Ops, Jerry Oravitz:

FU paid UD $150K as a buyout, DSU paid Wagner $75K to buy them out & UD is paying DSU $175K to play this year.

UD-SDSU series likely to be cancelled, first game was to be played in Sept 2010.

And the kicker, which I half kiddingly predicted, UD is now interested in playing an all-home game OOC FCS schedule moving forward, no return games. They said when they were looking to fill the FU date they found plenty of interested parties in that set-up.

aceinthehole
March 5th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Read this on gohens, surprised it hasn't made it's way over here yet. From UD's Dir of Football Ops, Jerry Oravitz:

FU paid UD $150K as a buyout, DSU paid Wagner $75K to buy them out & UD is paying DSU $175K to play this year.

UD-SDSU series likely to be cancelled, first game was to be played in Sept 2010.

And the kicker, which I half kiddingly predicted, UD is now interested in playing an all-home game OOC FCS schedule moving forward, no return games. They said when they were looking to fill the FU date they found plenty of interested parties in that set-up.

Why is there no outcry for Wagner getting screwed??????

R3TRO
March 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM

Do you mourn (for) every person that passes, or just those that matter to you?

aceinthehole
March 5th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Do you mourn (for) every person that passes, or just those that matter to you?

I guess its OK for UD fans to whine in a thread about Furman, but no one cares or notices when the EXACT same thing happens to the little guy.

UD cry-babys should have just delt with the Furman buyout without the public whining. That seems to be what is expected from Wagner fans - take the $$$ and shut up.

I don't see the Staten Island Advance printing a whiny editorial about how DSU walked out of a contract on short notice, like some UD beat writer did.

The hyporicy here is sometimes amazing!!!!!

blukeys
March 5th, 2009, 08:46 PM

I am not at all shocked by this. I knew for some time that there were many in the football administration who believed that this was financially the best route to go and also what would be best for the team.

The guy, in the Ud admonistation, who took the chance for scheduling Furman is right now very quiet for proposing to go to a quality FCS opponent with a home and home arrangement. Many of us would like to see a return of Georgia Southern or the Citadel. The Citadel had been an opponent since 1974. But I don't see any of this happening when UD can make the same amount of $'s scheduling Monmouth or Duquesne.

Delaware has now been screwed by Youngstown and Furman. The administration considers the CAA to be tough enough and that they can make money with games with NEC and MEAC opponents at home.

UD will be ok but when others ask about the lack of quality FCS to FCS matchups I will only have to say " No one wants to be Furmaned"

GannonFan
March 5th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I guess its OK for UD fans to whine in a thread about Furman, but no one cares or notices when the EXACT same thing happens to the little guy.

UD cry-babys should have just delt with the Furman buyout without the public whining. That seems to be what is expected from Wagner fans - take the $$$ and shut up.

I don't see the Staten Island Advance printing a whiny editorial about how DSU walked out of a contract on short notice, like some UD beat writer did.

Uh, didn't you see all the comments on the other thread - Wagner got Furmaned by Delaware St and no one disagreed. It's a shame, and I'm sure if there were more than a handful of Wagner fans then we would hear more complaining. If Wagner has a beat writer, feel free to forward him UD's beat writer's piece, assuming you want to hear more complaining. xthumbsupx

blukeys
March 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM

You seem to have a problem with who is being unethical here. You also appear to have no clue as to the details of the Wagner/DSU arrangement.

I have been critical of Montana and Furman backing out of the back end of a home and home agreement. The back end where the home team actually makes some money and where UD gets most of its athletic budget is a major part of this concern.

Wagner was due to travel to DSU this year and this was the first meeting for the 2 schools. Wagner in no way was screwed out of a lucrative home game with DSU. For Wagner to have the identical situation to UD, they would have had to play in Dover this year and then have DSU renege on a return visit. I would have blistered DSU for this as I have done so for Montana and Furman.

That being said I would have also been critical of UD for not having fulfilled the front end of the Furman / UD arrangement.

UD and DSU are two totally different institutions. UD contacted many schools about filling the open date caused by Furman. There were other schools willing to schedule UD on this date. However, If you have been on this board at all in the last few years you certainly know that UD at least had to make an offer to DSU. DSU always had the option of choosing to honor their commitment to Wagner. DSU chose to schedule UD instead. As one who has ties to DSU, I don't think this was the best choice. It is my understanding that Coach Lavan was opposed to this as well but that he was overruled by the DSU admin.

Delaware has always honored its commitments to play games. Delaware cannot cause DSU to honor or not honor a game to a third party.

Had Delaware not offered to schedule DSU on 9/10/09 due to the fact that DSU had another commitment, many hypocrites on this board would have accused UD of racism and obstructionism.

If you want to hang DSU out to dry for not honoring their commitment to Wagner, Go for it

I don't think it is quite the same as being screwed by Montana or Furman but I do get the point. That being said DSU makes their own decisions based on their priorities. Delaware did not back out of a deal with Wagner. DSU did. Why not direct your anger where it belongs?????

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM

I'm not clear on this part...are you saying UD isn't going to play FCS OOC teams on the road from now on?

Seems kind of drastic for this one incident. Your OOC schedule will become the laughing stock of the greater conferences in the FCS if you do this.

andy7171
March 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Another intersting Delaware tidbit, an 8-2(D.I record) Towson team with a win over Delaware got F'ed out of the I-AA playoffs, by Delaware(7-3 D.I record).

Just sayin;

1993 and I'm still bitter

blukeys
March 5th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I'm not clear on this part...are you saying UD isn't going to play FCS OOC teams on the road from now on?

Seems kind of drastic for this one incident. Your OOC schedule will become the laughing stock of the greater conferences in the FCS if you do this.

FCS, I am not sure that anyone in the UD administration gives a rats ass about the opinion of the "greater conferences in the FCS" about the UD OOC Schedule. The administration is more interested in:

1: Making Money
2: Winning FCS games

Both of these objectives can be achieved at Delaware by never scheduling a home and home arrangement with ANYONE with any FCS reputation.

There are 2 schools of thought in the UD community about scheduling.

1. School of thought #1. Schedule competitive FCS teams such as McNeese. This will generate interest and get people to the games.

2. School of thought #2. Screw competiive FCS games. They will cost us a playoff game in the too competitive CAA. McNeese will make us no more money than Monmouth.

Financially, the facts support argument no. 2.

There are many Henfans who do not like this reality. I am one of them BUT this is the reality.

That is the reason I was so disappointed by the Furman decision.

There were many of us Henfans who wanted to see more competitive matchups with quality FCS opponents.

We lobbied and supported such efforts and we had some allies in the Athletic Department.

Unfortunately, The Furman decision pulled the rug out from under those on this board who privately advocated for a more competitive FCS schedule.

The decision by Furman undermined the credibility of all of us who wanted to promote a competitive FCS schedule as opposed to a Duquesne payday.

That is why I have said that Furman will never again be considered for a regular season opponent.

I hope Furman enjoys their big payday against Missouri.

mainejeff
March 5th, 2009, 11:11 PM

Wagner can make another 50K by playing at Maine on September 19th......unless Maine already has Albany scheduled for that date.

aceinthehole
March 6th, 2009, 07:53 AM
You seem to have a problem with who is being unethical here. You also appear to have no clue as to the details of the Wagner/DSU arrangement.

Delaware has always honored its commitments to play games. Delaware cannot cause DSU to honor or not honor a game to a third party.

Had Delaware not offered to schedule DSU on 9/10/09 due to the fact that DSU had another commitment, many hypocrites on this board would have accused UD of racism and obstructionism.

If you want to hang DSU out to dry for not honoring their commitment to Wagner, Go for it

I don't think it is quite the same as being screwed by Montana or Furman but I do get the point. That being said DSU makes their own decisions based on their priorities. Delaware did not back out of a deal with Wagner. DSU did. Why not direct your anger where it belongs?????

First, from an AD standpoint, yes DSU screwed Wagner not DU. I agree that where the blame belongs.

But what I really find funny is that some UD fans (not all) ENCOURAGED and SUPPORTED the idea of DSU walking a way from a DEAL with Wagner, so it fits their own needs. It seems fine to pay your way out of an agreement when it suits UD, but not when they get the check.

Sure some deatils are different (schools involved, the amount of $$, a buy game vs a home/home), but the fact is both Furman and DSU bought their way out of an agreement. I would expect UD fans to be sympathic to Wagner, since it affected them so harshly, instead of just turning around and asking DSU to do what Furman just did.

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2009, 07:54 AM
So it's ok for Delaware's athletic dept. to have a goal of making money, but not Furman's? It's ok for Delaware to buy off an opponent but not ok for Furman?

ChickenMan
March 6th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Maybe I missed it.. but I don't recall seeing any mention of the possibility of the Delaware/South Dakota St series being cancelled. Do you have any link?

ChickenMan
March 6th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I would expect UD fans to be sympathic to Wagner, since it affected them so harshly, instead of just turning around and asking DSU to do what Furman just did.

As was posted earlier.. if UD did not inquire about a possible UD/DSU matchup as a replacement for the lost Furman game.. there would have been another bitch session as to why won't UD schedule DSU. DSU wasn't the only school UD contacted about a replacement game and I'm sure that they weren't UD's top preferrence.. but after all the BS that has been flying around the state relative to a UD/DSU game.. it's not surprising that UD would contact DSU about replacing Furman. However.. it was DSU's decision to dump Wagner.. not UD's and it is totally disingenuous to insinuate otherwise.

aceinthehole
March 6th, 2009, 08:51 AM
if UD did not inquire about a possible UD/DSU matchup as a replacement for the lost Furman game.. there would have been another bitch session as to why won't UD schedule DSU. DSU wasn't the only school UD contacted about a replacement game and I'm sure that they weren't UD's top preferrence..

Your first excuse is totally disingenuous. Knowing DSU had a full schedule, UD had no obligation to inquire about a game for 2009!

Exactly, I'm sure UD would have rather played someone else. By UD offering a game to DSU on a date they already had an agreement to play Wagner, it was clearly understood by both UD and DSU that Wagner would have to be bought out.

Again, I love the excuses! Seems scheduling revolves around the center of FCS world in Newark, DE. :)

henfan
March 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Maybe I missed it.. but I don't recall seeing any mention of the possibility of the Delaware/South Dakota St series being cancelled. Do you have any link?

There's no link to provide. Cancellation of the series was mentioned as a possibility by Jerry O at a recent Huddle booster club meeting. Check the GoHens.net M/B for more info.

My speculation here: cancellation of the UD-SDSU contract may very well be a mutual agreement. It's apparently not a done deal yet, however.

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Seems scheduling revolves around the center of FCS world in Newark, DE. :)

Well you are correct, not just scheduling though. :)

ChickenMan
March 6th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Again, I love the excuses! Seems scheduling revolves around the center of FCS world in Newark, DE. :)

The school that needs to excuse their inappropriate behavior in this matter is Furman.. not Delaware.

mcveyrl
March 6th, 2009, 10:13 AM
My speculation here: cancellation of the UD-SDSU contract may very well be a mutual agreement. It's apparently not a done deal yet, however.

I think that's a pretty good guess. Both schools are probably trying to cut down on travel costs and there's the added issue of UD doing the all-home OOC schedule. Although, if I were SDSU and knew UD's plans, I would at least try to get some money out of them. But I'm shady like that. :D

89Hen
March 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Not sure about that. It didn't say UD wouldn't visit, Navy, Maryland, etc... and having the other two games being two of the following (teams that have come to Newark with no return trip in the last 10 years)...

Delaware State
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Albany
Monmouth

and don't forget that Hofstra and UNH have also done this in years they aren't on the Hens CAA slate.

I think home and home's would be missed because that does eliminate some past great series (GSU, The Citadel...) but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I would love to see the Hens 7 times a year in Newark. xthumbsupx

89Hen
March 6th, 2009, 10:22 AM
The school that needs to excuse their inappropriate behavior in this matter is Furman.. not Delaware.
And Delaware State. We're clean. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
March 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
While I was looking forward to seeing the Jackrabbits in Newark the year after next, this really wouldn't be surprising. What was surprising was the scheduling of it in the first place. So many teams on the east coast where we actually may get recruits... why schedule SDSU?

ChickenMan
March 6th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I think that's a pretty good guess. Both schools are probably trying to cut down on travel costs and there's the added issue of UD doing the all-home OOC schedule. Although, if I were SDSU and knew UD's plans, I would at least try to get some money out of them. But I'm shady like that. :D

If South Dakota St is dropped.. UD's 2010 OOC schedule looks like it may be the least attractive and softest in my memory... West Chester, Duquesne and apparently another NEC caliber opponent. I know the CAA is tough.. but that kind of OCC scheduling is as unwatchable as it is undefendable... xmadx

ChickenMan
March 6th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I would love to see the Hens 7 times a year in Newark. xthumbsupx

not when three of those opponents were West Chester, Duquesne and another NEC school. xnonox

89Hen
March 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
not when three of those opponents were West Chester, Duquesne and another NEC school. xnonox
One year. Big deal. I don't care who we're playing in September and you're assuming on that third game. Don't turn into a gohens sour puss over every little thing. xpeacex

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Good grief. Furman gave Delaware a $150,000 apology for not coming to play. What do you want, our President, AD, and Board of Trustees to come groveling for forgiveness?

ChickenMan
March 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Good grief. Furman gave Delaware a $150,000 apology for not coming to play. What do you want, our President, AD, and Board of Trustees to come groveling for forgiveness?

playing the game as originally 'contracted' would have been quite sufficient... :p

GannonFan
March 6th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Interesting point, Delaware actually lost money on the whole thing. Sure, we got $150k from Furman, but had to pay DSU $175k to schedule a game at such late notice. So that's $25k out of pocket. That's truly getting "Furmaned". xlolx

aceinthehole
March 6th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Exactly! That was the kind of UD fan comment that makes me laugh. Furman somehow owes some huge apology to UD and Hen nation for exercising a clause in a contract to buy out a game.

That is what is laugable about this whole situation. UD has been wronged so FU must publically kiss a$$.

ChickenMan
March 6th, 2009, 10:39 AM
One year. Big deal. I don't care who we're playing in September and you're assuming on that third game. Don't turn into a gohens sour puss over every little thing. xpeacex

When UD needs to be criticized .. I'll do so and that type OOC scheduling needs to be criticized ... big time!

89Hen
March 6th, 2009, 10:40 AM
UD has been wronged so FU must publically kiss a$$.
Agreed. Glad you've come to your senses. xthumbsupx

89Hen
March 6th, 2009, 10:40 AM
When UD's needs to be criticized .. I'll do so and that type OOC scheduling needs to be criticized ... big time!
How about we wait until a third game is scheduled (IF this happens at all). xpeacex

ChickenMan
March 6th, 2009, 10:43 AM
How about we wait until a third game is scheduled (IF this happens at all). xpeacex

If South Dakota St is dropped.. UD's 2010 OOC schedule looks like it may be the least attractive and softest in my memory... West Chester, Duquesne and apparently another NEC caliber opponent. I know the CAA is tough.. but that kind of OOC scheduling is as unwatchable as it is undefendable...

I did say ... IF

mainejeff
March 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
and don't forget that Hofstra and UNH have also done this in years they aren't on the Hens CAA slate.

I'd like to see Maine play at UD in years that they don't play in the CAA. You think that UD would be willing to schedule Maine?

GannonFan
March 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'd like to see Maine play at UD in years that they don't play in the CAA. You think that UD would be willing to schedule Maine?

If it's in Newark, I don't see any reason why not. xthumbsupx

89Hen
March 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I did say ... IF
OK, but let's also see who the third opponent is. xthumbsupx

89Hen
March 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM

What he ^ said. The precident is there.

mainejeff
March 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Yes.......I think that I said AT Delaware.......which would mean in Newark. xnodxxnodxxnodx

xrolleyesx

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM

If Maine is still in the CAA I doubt you'd see UD schedule a conference opponent for a OOC game even if they're all at home. UD can find plenty of OOC games that'd accept the deal that way, no return games.

mainejeff
March 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM
If Maine is still in the CAA I doubt you'd see UD schedule a conference opponent for a OOC game even if they're all at home. UD can find plenty of OOC games that'd accept the deal that way, no return games.

Hey.......if you'd rather see Duquesne, West Chester and Monmouth rather than Maine, UNH, and Hofstra........more power to ya! xthumbsupx

89Hen
March 6th, 2009, 01:19 PM
If Maine is still in the CAA I doubt you'd see UD schedule a conference opponent for a OOC game even if they're all at home.
The fact that they've done it twice in the past 5 years doesn't tell you that's not the case? xeyebrowx

GannonFan
March 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Yes.......I think that I said AT Delaware.......which would mean in Newark. xnodxxnodxxnodx

xrolleyesx

Geez, I miss one two-letter word!!! I'm busy watching my company's stock drop and hoping it doesn't mean being laid off - I'm allowed to miss a small word here and there. xlolxxlolxxlolx:(

GannonFan
March 6th, 2009, 01:25 PM

I disagree with that - I don't think they'd necessarily do it every year or even more than one in a year, but I don't see it far fetched if every now and then they'd have one OOC game in a year be an OOC game against a conference foe.

blukeys
March 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM
So it's ok for Delaware's athletic dept. to have a goal of making money, but not Furman's? It's ok for Delaware to buy off an opponent but not ok for Furman?

Sorry, but just who did Delaware buy off?

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Sorry, but just who did Delaware buy off?

Did they not buy out Wagner to play DSU?

blukeys
March 7th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Did they not buy out Wagner to play DSU?

NO. UD never gave Wagner a nickel. Care to get your facts before accusing UD of anything???

Tubby Raymond
March 7th, 2009, 04:57 AM
First, from an AD standpoint, yes DSU screwed Wagner not DU. I agree that where the blame belongs.

But what I really find funny is that some UD fans (not all) ENCOURAGED and SUPPORTED the idea of DSU walking a way from a DEAL with Wagner, so it fits their own needs. It seems fine to pay your way out of an agreement when it suits UD, but not when they get the check.

Sure some deatils are different (schools involved, the amount of $$, a buy game vs a home/home), but the fact is both Furman and DSU bought their way out of an agreement. I would expect UD fans to be sympathic to Wagner, since it affected them so harshly, instead of just turning around and asking DSU to do what Furman just did.

"Some details are different", ALL the details are different. xoopsx

Tubby Raymond
March 7th, 2009, 05:02 AM

Not an apology, mandated in the contract. Apologies are voluntary actions, buyouts are legally bound

813Jag
March 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I just want to say that it's amazing that a cerTain posTer hasn't said anything about UD possibly playing league teams as OOC games. He's strongly against certain leagues doing that.

danefan
March 7th, 2009, 08:05 AM
NO. UD never gave Wagner a nickel. Care to get your facts before accusing UD of anything???

Well if you look at it - they actually did. UD gave DSU $175,000 right? $75,000 of which was paid to Wagner by DSU.

Mizzou paid Delaware too.

These contract buyouts are usually part of the negotiations in the other deals.

Mizzou: Hey Furman want to play?
Furman: Yeah, of course, but we've got a contract with Delaware the same day.
Mizzou: We'll pay your buyout plus ________.

I'm sure it was part of the UD/DSU conversation as well.

danefan
March 7th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I just want to say that it's amazing that a cerTain posTer hasn't said anything about UD possibly playing league teams as OOC games. He's strongly against certain leagues doing that.

He doesn't read these CAA threads. xcoffeex

PaladinFan
March 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Well if you look at it - they actually did. UD gave DSU $175,000 right? $75,000 of which was paid to Wagner by DSU.

yup.

blukeys
March 7th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Duh!!! Delaware gave DSU a guarantee which is what you do when a team comes to your house without a promise for a return home game.

For instance If Delaware had contracted Furman for a one game deal at Furman in 2008, Furman would actually have paid money for Delaware to come down to Greenville. Had Delaware decided to break a contract with another school for that date, it would not have been Furman's problem.

What DSU did with the standard gurantee which has been accepted in the past by schools such as Lehigh, Albany, UNH, Hiosfstra etc. is up to them. Delaware gives gurantees to everyone who comes to Newark without a promise for a return engagement.

This is the standard deal and the same deal Furman accepted with 2 FBS teams in 2009.

By the way, nice attempt to blame Missouri for Furman's decision to blow off Delaware.

Missouri was not responsible for Furman not playing Delaware. That is Furman's decision alone.

89Hen
March 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090312/SPORTS07/903120371/1028

All tickets for the UD-DSU game will go at a premium price of $30, though season-ticket packages will not include an increase above the normal price.

BigHouseClosedEnd
March 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I am not at all shocked by this. I knew for some time that there were many in the football administration who believed that this was financially the best route to go and also what would be best for the team.

The guy, in the Ud admonistation, who took the chance for scheduling Furman is right now very quiet for proposing to go to a quality FCS opponent with a home and home arrangement. Many of us would like to see a return of Georgia Southern or the Citadel. The Citadel had been an opponent since 1974. But I don't see any of this happening when UD can make the same amount of $'s scheduling Monmouth or Duquesne.

Delaware has now been screwed by Youngstown and Furman. The administration considers the CAA to be tough enough and that they can make money with games with NEC and MEAC opponents at home.
"

This makes sense to me. I guess the only remaining question is whether this means Delaware is committed to playing a 1-A opponent every season.

If you play a Maryland a Del State and a Bucknell every year, that's pretty solid.

If you play West Chester, Duqense and Monmouth, its fairly laughable.

I do realize that the Southern members of the CAA benefit from having SoCon, Big South, even OVC teams much closer ... than some of the northern CAA teams .... so it has to be harder for you guys.

danefan
March 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
This makes sense to me. I guess the only remaining question is whether this means Delaware is committed to playing a 1-A opponent every season.

If you play a Maryland a Del State and a Bucknell every year, that's pretty solid.

If you play West Chester, Duqense and Monmouth, its fairly laughable.

I do realize that the Southern members of the CAA benefit from having SoCon, Big South, even OVC teams much closer ... than some of the northern CAA teams .... so it has to be harder for you guys.

The only difference in your analysis above is the Maryland or West Chester comparison.

Duquense and Monmouth = or > Del State and Bucknell.

And Delaware will have the pick of the litter of its OOC home games every year. They are one of the few FCS teams that can play a mid-level FCS team at home and pay a nice guarantee. That makes scheduling all the easier.

paward
March 16th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I do not care who the Blue Hens play as long as they do not play on September 12, 2009.

bluehenbillk
March 17th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I do not care who the Blue Hens play as long as they do not play on September 12, 2009.

A lot of Hens fans including myself have a bullseye drilled onto that date. Our first big game of the year and Devlin's coming out party. Its a night game so expect a hornet's nest atmosphere at the Tub. Take no connection between my terminology and DSU's football team being the Hornets, that's a beatdown for the following week.

89Hen
March 17th, 2009, 08:37 AM
The only difference in your analysis above is the Maryland or West Chester comparison.

Duquense and Monmouth = or > Del State and Bucknell.

And Delaware will have the pick of the litter of its OOC home games every year. They are one of the few FCS teams that can play a mid-level FCS team at home and pay a nice guarantee. That makes scheduling all the easier.
You beat me to it, but actually...

West Chester and Monmouth or Duquesne = DelState and Bucknell xwhistlex

So the only question is will the Hens continue to schedule I-A's. If Navy sticks to wanting the Hens late in the season, that series is done... that's the same way the Lehigh series ended. Honestly, I would only want the Hens to play local I-A's. By local, I'd limit it to Navy, Maryland, Rutgers, Army, Penn State and Virginia. I'd put Temple on the list, but I know that aint happening. UVA actually won't happen either as they have enough state schools (and in-state ie Richmond) to play.

danefan
March 17th, 2009, 08:48 AM

So the only question is will the Hens continue to schedule I-A's. If Navy sticks to wanting the Hens late in the season, that series is done... that's the same way the Lehigh series ended. Honestly, I would only want the Hens to play local I-A's. By local, I'd limit it to Navy, Maryland, Rutgers, Army, Penn State and Virginia. I'd put Temple on the list, but I know that aint happening. UVA actually won't happen either as they have enough state schools (and in-state ie Richmond) to play.

I would think that would be possible.
You would imagine that Delaware doesn't require a huge guarantee to play an FBS game. Right?

What is the rationale for Navy wanting a late season FCS game?

89Hen
March 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
You would imagine that Delaware doesn't require a huge guarantee to play an FBS game. Right?

What is the rationale for Navy wanting a late season FCS game?
Actually kinda puzzling regarding the payday. The Hens, as stated in other threads, actually turn a profit for football. They don't need to play I-A's at all. So it would seem maybe they should require a larger than normal payday. Plus, they have only played Navy, Maryland and Temple in the last 30 years and bring tons of fans to these games (use to host Navy and Temple too). It seems the bigger paydays in I-AA have been for teams travelling a long distance and don't bring anyone to the game. xeyebrowx

On the Navy scheduling issue, I'm not really sure. I do know they have used I-AA's as Homecoming opponents (even though it's no sure win xsmiley_wix ). My guess is that because of conference play, they may have a tougher time scheduling I-A's later in the season. They probably figure if they invite a I-AA they would be happy to come any time. xtwocentsx

BigHouseClosedEnd
March 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM
A lot of Hens fans including myself have a bullseye drilled onto that date. Our first big game of the year and Devlin's coming out party. Its a night game so expect a hornet's nest atmosphere at the Tub. Take no connection between my terminology and DSU's football team being the Hornets, that's a beatdown for the following week.

We have a bullseye on September 12th also. The Defending National Champions will be looking to offer Pat a rude welcome to 1-AA football.

See you there.

BigHouseClosedEnd
March 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Regarding the WC/Monmouth/Duquense/Del State/Bucknell thing ... whatever ... it is semantics.

I'm just wondering if the plan is to play 3 of those schools as non-conf opponents ... or play 2 + a 1-a.

89Hen
March 17th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I'm just wondering if the plan is to play 3 of those schools as non-conf opponents ... or play 2 + a 1-a.
For me, given the choice of 3 of those or 2 + an out of the area I-A... I'll take the 3 home games. I know I don't speak for everyone though. xpeacex

WildCat In The Hat
March 17th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Interesting point, Delaware actually lost money on the whole thing. Sure, we got $150k from Furman, but had to pay DSU $175k to schedule a game at such late notice. So that's $25k out of pocket. That's truly getting "Furmaned". xlolx

Had to overpay (lose money even) just to play DSU??? Hmmm-wonder why?
I'm bailing out big business-not writing a check to AIG, but I'm paying the government and they're paying AIG. I'm a fan of my team too, but take the blinders off. It was a business decision, seems like all teams envolved were smart enough to make money except Delaware.

89Hen
March 18th, 2009, 08:08 AM
It was a business decision, seems like all teams envolved were smart enough to make money except Delaware.
So you agree that the Hens were the ones that got screwed by FU cancelling the game. Thanks for agreeing. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
March 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Had to overpay (lose money even) just to play DSU??? Hmmm-wonder why?
I'm bailing out big business-not writing a check to AIG, but I'm paying the government and they're paying AIG. I'm a fan of my team too, but take the blinders off. It was a business decision, seems like all teams envolved were smart enough to make money except Delaware.

Well, UD did jack up the price of the non-season tickets for the DSU game, so that's half the stadium right there. As with all UD games, it will sell out, even at the elevated ticket prices, so I'm sure UD will make out just fine. Of course, now that just means the ones being really "Furmaned" are the fans who buy tickets who don't have season tix. Furman really stuck it to the little guy. xsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx:p