PDA

View Full Version : Indiana State hires new offensive line coach

isutom
March 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Poinsett hired as ISU football's offensive line coach

By Todd Golden
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Surrounded by endless piles of papers detailing Indiana State offensive formations and blocking schemes in the bowels of ISU’s new football office, newly hired ISU offensive line coach Dave Poinsett has had to hit the ground running. Especially with spring football just a few weeks away.

Poinsett wouldn’t have it any other way.

Poinsett — who was hired from Northwestern Oklahoma’s staff to take the job vacated by Ted Unbehagen — was attracted to ISU because the challenge of helping to build a program appealed to him.

“It’s a team that’s very young and has dynamic coaches. There’s a need to win here, but I think there’s a desire to build and there’s a progression. I’m excited about that,” Poinsett said. “I’ve been on some successful teams and I’ve never been on a team in a progression mode, I’m excited about it.”

Poinsett, who was graduated from South Carolina in 1989, was a member of the Gamecocks’ All-Decade team in the 1980s. He was offensive line coach at Newberry in 1996-97 before taking the same job at Mars Hill from 1997-2001.

Poinsett went on to become head coach at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Wesson, Miss. from 2001-04. Poinsett was an assistant coach at Arkansas Tech from 2004-05 and was also on the staff of the Macon Knights afl2 team from 2004-06. After two years out of coaching, Poinsett joined the staff of Northwestern Oklahoma as the offensive line coach.

Poinsett said he has a five-fold approach as far as how he handles ISU’s offensive line, which will return four of five starters next season.

“We want to be fundamentally sound, we want to pay attention to detail, we don’t want to beat ourselves, we want to be competitive and the last thing is for these kids to have fun. If we stick to those five points, the winning will happen,” Poinsett said.

Poinsett is the second coach hired by ISU coach Trent Miles during this off-season. Troy Walters was hired as offensive coordinator last month.