PDA

View Full Version : UNC Charlotte Football Stadium and Sports Complex

EPJr
March 5th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Budget: $45,300,000

http://facilities.uncc.edu/FileManager/files/Capital/Football%20RFP%20for%20AP%20%20(rev%20%202-16-09).doc

Project Description
The proposed Football Stadium will consist of a 15,000 seat stadium expandable to 40,000 seats, an approximately 58,000 square foot building consisting of athletic offices, meeting spaces, weight and training rooms, locker rooms, offices, restrooms, concessions, ticket office, press box, skyboxes, and storage to house an intercollegiate football team.

dgreco
March 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM
sounds impressive, can not wait to see a design.

I really thought they would of played where the Panthers played. Instant BCS size stadium.

appfan2008
March 5th, 2009, 08:13 AM
good luck to them but it will be hard to get something like that going in this economy

PhoenixPhan06
March 5th, 2009, 08:22 AM
good luck to them but it will be hard to get something like that going in this economy

I second that. It seems like the logical thing to do would be to play at BOA Stadium for a season or two and gauge interest in football then focus on the grand plans for the 15,000 seat stadium and surrounding facilities. Another note, where are they planning on building this massive project? UNC-C was always a pretty small campus being in a big city and all but it wouldn't surprise me with all the projects going up in Charlotte these days. I'm curious to see what the attendance will be like in the first few seasons, my guess is that it'll be in the 5-10K range but best of luck to em!

KiddBrewer
March 5th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I second that. It seems like the logical thing to do would be to play at BOA Stadium for a season or two and gauge interest in football then focus on the grand plans for the 15,000 seat stadium and surrounding facilities. Another note, where are they planning on building this massive project? UNC-C was always a pretty small campus being in a big city and all but it wouldn't surprise me with all the projects going up in Charlotte these days. I'm curious to see what the attendance will be like in the first few seasons, my guess is that it'll be in the 5-10K range but best of luck to em!

yea, but Carolina Stadiums Corp owns BOA stadium, not the city of charlotte, unlike south florida where the City of Tampa owns the stadium. I dont think Richardson wants to have other events there.

B&G
March 5th, 2009, 09:01 AM
There's plenty of land set aside where developers wanted to move the Charlotte Knights minor league baseball team uptown. Not sure if that would be a location they're interested in since they may want something closer to campus.

89Hen
March 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM
sounds impressive, can not wait to see a design.
Need pictures!

Touchdown Yosef
March 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM
There's plenty of land set aside where developers wanted to move the Charlotte Knights minor league baseball team uptown. Not sure if that would be a location they're interested in since they may want something closer to campus.

That land is tied up in court and I believe still privately owned. There is no chance of that land being used for another football stadium in uptown. It will either be a baseball stadium or a park.

The location is stated in the paper as "adjacent to the intramural field" I am not familiar with their campus so I'm not sure where that would be. I would think that for much less than 43 mill they could work out a deal to play in bofa stadium or if they did want to play in the city to play at Memorial Stadium which seats 15-16k and could just renovate it for much much less than what they will pay for a new stadium.

Touchdown Yosef
March 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM

I've heard Johnny Harris is on their capital raising committee and if I had to pick one person in Charlotte to put on that he would be on a very very short list. I would not be surprised to see them get the money but it there is still a lot that has to happen and I don't think the admin is truly behind football yet. I think there are still better ways to go about all this than what they have been doing.

ASUG8
March 5th, 2009, 12:25 PM
That land is tied up in court and I believe still privately owned. There is no chance of that land being used for another football stadium in uptown. It will either be a baseball stadium or a park.

The location is stated in the paper as "adjacent to the intramural field" I am not familiar with their campus so I'm not sure where that would be. I would think that for much less than 43 mill they could work out a deal to play in bofa stadium or if they did want to play in the city to play at Memorial Stadium which seats 15-16k and could just renovate it for much much less than what they will pay for a new stadium.

That's still a :30 hike from campus and doesn't solve the expansion plans for FBS. As I recall from campus, they have a large amount of property (I don't know if UNCC owns it or not) on the NW corner between hwy 29 and Mallard Creek Church rd.
That's all hwy 29 needs is game traffic on a race weekend......xnonono2x

Monarch History
March 5th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I was on the Charlotte campus to watch an ODU vs the 49ers BB game in November. They have a beautiful campus and plenty of room for the stadium. If you notice, they are going to build a 15,000 seat stadium which can be expanded. I think the economy will dictate if and when this occurs.

They will do fine with their students and alumni, but I have to question the support from the city which already has the Panthers, Bobcats, and is in love with UNC anything. Just ask 49er fans.

DLS
March 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
That's still a :30 hike from campus and doesn't solve the expansion plans for FBS. As I recall from campus, they have a large amount of property (I don't know if UNCC owns it or not) on the NW corner between hwy 29 and Mallard Creek Church rd.

can you imagine a game during race weekend? dunno if racing overlaps football season but that would be ridiculous.

pretty sure the stadium will be at the soccer fields behind the citgo at the mallard creek church rd. and 29 intersection. i think thats the intramural fields also seems like the most logical site for it. except its a swamp.

ASUG8
March 5th, 2009, 12:37 PM
can you imagine a game during race weekend? dunno if racing overlaps football season but that would be ridiculous.

pretty sure the stadium will be at the soccer fields behind the citgo at the mallard creek church rd. and 29 intersection. i think thats the intramural fields also seems like the most logical site for it. except its a swamp.

Yeah, they'll overlap until around November. It will be ugly.

danefan
March 5th, 2009, 12:41 PM
The proposed Stadium and Sport Complex will be located on and adjacent to existing intramural recreation fields 8 & 9 at the Charlotte Research Institute (CRI).

Campus Map
http://facilities.uncc.edu/FileManager/files/Maps/CampusMap8_5x11.pdf

Right behind the baseball stadium.

Sat map

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=35.309592~-80.740221&style=h&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=21352511&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&sp=Point.pwjjq8884gh2_Proposed%20Stadium____&encType=1

Touchdown Yosef
March 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Google maps says it is a 19 minute drive from UNCC to Memorial Stadium. UNCC has plenty of land to build the stadium on and has already nailed down a spot for it. The next leg of the light rail is also scheduled to go right through UNCC and would make for some easy transportation. I think Memorial gives them a better option now for much less money. If UNCC proves to be the program they think they will be then a deal could be worked out down the road to play at BofA. A deal could get done and it would be for much less than it would cost them to build a 40k seat stadium. Spend the money and build two practice and an indoor practice facility on campus.

The October race in Charlotte does fall durring football season. App played away that weekend this year so I got to go. Its not a big problem though, UNCC would just schedule that weekend away every year no question.

ASUG8
March 5th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Google maps says it is a 19 minute drive from UNCC to Memorial Stadium. UNCC has plenty of land to build the stadium on and has already nailed down a spot for it. The next leg of the light rail is also scheduled to go right through UNCC and would make for some easy transportation. I think Memorial gives them a better option now for much less money. If UNCC proves to be the program they think they will be then a deal could be worked out down the road to play at BofA. A deal could get done and it would be for much less than it would cost them to build a 40k seat stadium. Spend the money and build two practice and an indoor practice facility on campus.

The October race in Charlotte does fall durring football season. App played away that weekend this year so I got to go. Its not a big problem though, UNCC would just schedule that weekend away every year no question.

I'll take yours and Google's word for it - it seemed like :30 when we were cabbing it when I'd visit friends on the weekends xsmiley_wix
My point about 29 is that it's already pretty heavily travelled and development is quickly moving up the 29 corridor to connect Concord and Charlotte - race weekend or not, they're going to have some issues with getting people in and out. Throw in the Pavilion close by and it could be some slow going.

Touchdown Yosef
March 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I'll take yours and Google's word for it - it seemed like :30 when we were cabbing it when I'd visit friends on the weekends xsmiley_wix
My point about 29 is that it's already pretty heavily travelled and development is quickly moving up the 29 corridor to connect Concord and Charlotte - race weekend or not, they're going to have some issues with getting people in and out. Throw in the Pavilion close by and it could be some slow going.

very true about the traffic but I doubt there are many well attended programs that don't deal with some bad traffic. Just try and get to an ASU game from Blowing Rock about 1-2 hrs before kickoff.

Appinator
March 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM
very true about the traffic but I doubt there are many well attended programs that don't deal with some bad traffic. Just try and get to an ASU game from Blowing Rock about 1-2 hrs before kickoff.

I think they should play in the infield of the dirt track at Lowe's Motor Speedway, a la Winston Salem State back in the day.

Cheap, lots of parking, easy to get to. If they cared about the economy, or the state of North Carolina at all, they would do it.

ASUG8
March 5th, 2009, 03:23 PM

You should have been tailgating for at least 3 hrs by then - BLASPHEMY!! xlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 5th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Shoot, we have HUGE traffic problems on Homecoming with our little pissant stadium even when you attempt to be tailgating three hours before kickoff!!! xrotatehx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Touchdown Yosef
March 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM

don't question my fanhood here ASUG8 (I'm j/k of course) my car is one of the first in Raley every single week but I still know what the traffic is like.

apaladin
March 5th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I can't open the file. Did the article give any timelines as to when they want to start playing? Will they play as an independant? Eventually I wouldn't mind them playing in the SoCon(football only if necessary). They could the opposite of Davidson(all but FB) and be football only.

th0m
March 6th, 2009, 01:16 AM
It's just a form for potential designers with a list of specs they want incorporated in the design.

TwinTownBisonFan
March 6th, 2009, 03:48 AM
why not use American Legion Stadium?
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/north_carolina/charlotte_memorial.jpg

24,000 capacity... seems tailor-made until an on-campus option is achieved.

ASUG8
March 6th, 2009, 06:59 AM
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/north_carolina/charlotte_memorial.jpg

That's the Memorial stadium that's been mentioned in this thread.

Jackman
March 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM
One of the stated motivations for Charlotte to start a football team though was to re-connect the campus with the city. I've never been there, but I've read that there's a local perception that U. of Charlotte is a million miles away and there's no reason to ever drive in that direction. One of the off-campus stadium options would be a cheaper solution, but it won't help them accomplish the goal of getting Charlotte residents to come out to the school itself. So they see quite a bit of upside to an on-campus stadium despite the greater expense.

WestCoastAggie
March 6th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Good luck to UNCC and I hope they get the City behind the school.

Touchdown Yosef
March 6th, 2009, 09:05 AM
One of the stated motivations for Charlotte to start a football team though was to re-connect the campus with the city. I've never been there, but I've read that there's a local perception that U. of Charlotte is a million miles away and there's no reason to ever drive in that direction. One of the off-campus stadium options would be a cheaper solution, but it won't help them accomplish the goal of getting Charlotte residents to come out to the school itself. So they see quite a bit of upside to an on-campus stadium despite the greater expense.

I could see that as motivation. Charlotte is just a huge commuter school that doesn't have much of its own culture and doesn't cultivate a ton of school pride. Most of the students also leave campus every weekend and spend their time and money going out in Uptown Charlotte. Its just my opinion but UNCC doesn't offer the best "college experience" out there. Football could be seen as a solution though, and UNCC does intend to grow the school as much as they can over the next 20 years. The UNC system is expected to grow by 80k students above its current levels over the next 20 years and most of the UNC schools cannot feasibly grow much bigger than they are. App doesn't have the land, NC State is already 40k strong, Chapel Hill refuses to grow, but UNCC wants all the growth they can get.

WUTNDITWAA
March 6th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Would probably cost too much to renovate. The place is not in a bad area of town, and I've enjoyed watching several events there, but why spend $5-10 million on renovating an off-campus stadium that's only short term, when double that will get you a long term home on campus?

If they did renovate, it would make for a great venue for the FCS title game. Though they'd need to truck in about 10-15,000 extra seats when App rolls into town, however.

813Jag
March 6th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I could see that as motivation. Charlotte is just a huge commuter school that doesn't have much of its own culture and doesn't cultivate a ton of school pride. Most of the students also leave campus every weekend and spend their time and money going out in Uptown Charlotte. Its just my opinion but UNCC doesn't offer the best "college experience" out there. Football could be seen as a solution though, and UNCC does intend to grow the school as much as they can over the next 20 years. The UNC system is expected to grow by 80k students above its current levels over the next 20 years and most of the UNC schools cannot feasibly grow much bigger than they are. App doesn't have the land, NC State is already 40k strong, Chapel Hill refuses to grow, but UNCC wants all the growth they can get.
It's going to take work if the community isn't attached to the school already. That's the problem USF has, the city doesn't really embrace the team or the school. Of course they haven't given much reason to do so, but this is still a Gators, Noles, Canes town.

ASUG8
March 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM

That's exactly what I've always heard about UNCC - that it's a "suitcase college". They've fielded good basketball programs in the past, but I don't know how well it's followed by the students. I think UNCC likely surpass UNC as one of the largest schools in the state, but I think the lack of student support could doom their FBS hopes if the current status is maintained. It's a pretty big gamble for a school to attempt to garner support from a student body that doesn't really seem to care about university athletics.

Touchdown Yosef
March 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
That's exactly what I've always heard about UNCC - that it's a "suitcase college". They've fielded good basketball programs in the past, but I don't know how well it's followed by the students. I think UNCC likely surpass UNC as one of the largest schools in the state, but I think the lack of student support could doom their FBS hopes if the current status is maintained. It's a pretty big gamble for a school to attempt to garner support from a student body that doesn't really seem to care about university athletics.

Yea, thats kind of the hope though is that football will help to change the culture of the school and that push has come from the students and alumni not the administration so we'll see how it all plays out. Right now though UNCC is a larger school than UNC. Chapel hill while perceived as large is really only about the same size as App. The biggest schools in NC are NC State and ECU. Charlotte though has aspirations of surpassing both and they have the land and the drive to do it.

TwinTownBisonFan
March 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM
South Florida is a "suitcase college" too.

The university has made a conscious decision to develop a campus culture, and turn the Bulls in to the team that ALL of FL's west coast gets behind. As has been said in other threads, the trick with FBS football in particular is drawing in fans who never went to college, but support the team out of regional or state pride. Charlotte seems in a great position to do that.

GannonFan
March 6th, 2009, 02:59 PM

The university has made a conscious decision to develop a campus culture, and turn the Bulls in to the team that ALL of FL's west coast gets behind. As has been said in other threads, the trick with FBS football in particular is drawing in fans who never went to college, but support the team out of regional or state pride. Charlotte seems in a great position to do that.

South Florida also had the advantage of being a much sought after Florida school when the Big East lost their only connection to the state when Miami bolted. There is much advantage to being part of the BCS when it comes to football, and UNCC would not have that advantage as neither the Big East or the ACC is currently beckoning. But, should the Big East ever need another team, I'm sure UNCC would be right at the top if they had football.

813Jag
March 6th, 2009, 02:59 PM

they have? my wife worked there and you could barely tell it was homecoming and this was when they were a top 10 team. USF gets 6th billing in this city if that high. Most people already support a college team, there aren't many non-alumni fans. Go to a few games and you can see what I mean.

Touchdown Yosef
March 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM
they have? my wife worked there and you could barely tell it was homecoming and this was when they were a top 10 team. USF gets 6th billing in this city if that high. Most people already support a college team, there aren't many non-alumni fans. Go to a few games and you can see what I mean.

That is interesting, Charlotte will face many of the same problems that USF is if UNCC plans to go FBS. They will desperately compete for fans with UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake Forrest, South Carolina, Clemson, ECU and App. Every one of those schools (except ECU) is less than a 3 hour drive from Charlotte and all have fairly large and well established fan bases of alumni and people who never set foot in one of their classrooms. Charlotte does have the intangibles that FBS conferences will love the main one being a television presence in a large city like Charlotte.

813Jag
March 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM
That is interesting, Charlotte will face many of the same problems that USF is if UNCC plans to go FBS. They will desperately compete for fans with UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake Forrest, South Carolina, Clemson, ECU and App. Every one of those schools (except ECU) is less than a 3 hour drive from Charlotte and all have fairly large and well established fan bases of alumni and people who never set foot in one of their classrooms. Charlotte does have the intangibles that FBS conferences will love the main one being a television presence in a large city like Charlotte.
that is a huge plus, I remember being able to get great seats at a USF game on gameday. I thought this past season would be a big step for them but people jumped off the bandwagon quickly. Hopefully UNCC doesn't have that problem.

TwinTownBisonFan
March 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM

that'll teach me to believe what i hear on an espn broadcast... shoulda known better.