PDA

View Full Version : SDSU's Conference Search Continues

RadMann
April 30th, 2005, 07:10 AM
THe article linked below discusses SDSU's continued search for a conference now that they are division I.

--------------------------
SDSU conference talks ongoing

Nearly a season into D-I move, Jackrabbits stymied in pursuit of established league

Chris Solari
[email protected]

Published: 04/30/05 2:04 am

With the end of its first season of Division I competition nearing, South Dakota State's search for conference affiliation remains at a standstill.

SDSU's Fred Oien said talks with established Division I leagues are ongoing. But discussions are also being held between Oien and fellow athletic directors of other independent schools about forming a new conference........

The Argus Leader (http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050430/SPORTS/504300342/1002)

http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DF&Date=20050430&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=504300342&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=260

TexasTerror
April 30th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Forming a league with all those independents for any of the schools would be financial hell. The travel would be a pain in the tailend as many of those universities are close to atleast one more, but it would definitely hurt the schools. Fans won't travels. Those will not be rivalries at all and the list goes on. Good luck in finding or starting a league...

89rabbit
April 30th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Forming a league with all those independents for any of the schools would be financial hell. The travel would be a pain in the tailend as many of those universities are close to atleast one more, but it would definitely hurt the schools. Fans won't travels. Those will not be rivalries at all and the list goes on. Good luck in finding or starting a league...

All that you have said is true, but it is also true if we remain independent. Better to play for a Conference Championship with the others, at least until we can get into a more established conference. I still have hope that one of the other options comes into play first and we don't have to form this new conference.

yomama
April 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Here's another example of hoing out college students to get NCAA bids (except they'll never get one for football).

Remember the Mid-Continent Conference about 10-12 years ago? Troy State, Central Connecticut State, UMKC, Valparaiso, Siberia Normal School...

Here we go again.

Husky Alum
April 30th, 2005, 03:24 PM
The Horizon League? You've GOT to be kidding. That Youngstown to South Dakota State trip sounds harrowing. Stranger things have happened, however.

1025 miles from Youngstown to Brookings.

1045 miles from Fargo to Youngstown.

Then again it's 1100 miles from Boston to Atlanta (home of new CAA foe Georgia State), but there are a bunch of non stop direct flights.

ncbears
April 30th, 2005, 04:08 PM
The Dakotas obscure location is going to make it difficult to find a good conference. Best of luck trying to find one.