PDA

View Full Version : Nice little write-up on Lafayette's rebirth

Marcus Garvey
November 24th, 2005, 09:52 AM
From the Allentown Morning Call:
Lafayette football has indeed risen from the ashes (http://www.mcall.com/all-laf-clmnov24,0,3159043.column)

I recall a few, not the majority mind you, Lehigh fans treating Lafayette's program as beneath contempt around '99 when they hit rock bottom. I'm glad to see them back up.
Hopefully they'll get that stadium renovated soon.

Mr. C
November 24th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I think Frank Tavani has done as good a job as about anyone in the country. He was runner-up to Ron Randleman of Sam Houston State as the I-AA.org coach of the year last season. It's great to see Lafayette really competing with teams like Lehigh and Colgate in the PL.

ngineer
November 24th, 2005, 05:35 PM
From the Allentown Morning Call:
Lafayette football has indeed risen from the ashes (http://www.mcall.com/all-laf-clmnov24,0,3159043.column)

I recall a few, not the majority mind you, Lehigh fans treating Lafayette's program as beneath contempt around '99 when they hit rock bottom. I'm glad to see them back up.
Hopefully they'll get that stadium renovated soon.

Actually, Marcus, Lafayette's own alums were treating football with contempt. I live in 'suburban' Easton and know dozens of LC alums--including former players--who were dismissive of their own team. Many stopped going to the games, even THE Game and several started following Lehigh. A good number of Lehigh alums, behind the scenes, were actually trying to help those fighting the ivory tower administration to save the football program in giving them ideas about fund raising, similar to our Athletic Partnership, which is starting to show dividends. Yes, I'm sure a number of Lehigh people looked down their noses at the Leopards back then, but so were their own people--and their attendance this year still reflects the lack of rebound on the support side.
I think Tavani has done a tremendous job in keeping the program alive and then moving it forward. It has saved the rivalry. I know many Lafayette alums back in the late '90's who were actually pushing the idea of ending the rivalry--forgetting that these things can go in cycles. In the 1930-40's I think Lehigh only won about 3 of 22 games.
It's great that they have come back. Just don't want this stuff to get to repetitive. When I was freshman, Lafayette dominated the series with Lehigh, leading by about 30 games. We've trimmed that down to about 11, now, and I'm hoping we can even it out by my 50th game (in 14 years) ;)

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Not me..I just attended my 26th LC-LU game and knew the worm would turn, but it was bleak there in the late 90s. GO PARDS!!!!!!!!!