PDA

View Full Version : ASU coaches

eaglewithabus
February 26th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Is app losing some coaches???? I have heard that 3 of them are out. Just wondering??

DLS
February 26th, 2009, 10:24 AM
satterfield, a.c. carter, and trey elder.

we hired a new recievers coach, now we just need a qb coach.

CrackerRiley
February 26th, 2009, 10:57 AM
GoASU.com has changed when you choose to view coaches. It now takes you to the 2009 football staff, but lists no one.

jmufan999
February 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM
it's a sign of a great program when your coaches are being snatched up.

Appinator
February 26th, 2009, 12:31 PM
it's a sign of a great program when your coaches are being snatched up.

However, it creates an even larger struggle to stay great when they are snatched up. Probably the largest single contribution to ASU's success over these past 4 years would be the continuity of our staff.

Coach Moore showed some great CEO-esque leadership after the 2004-05 disaster by shaking our coaching staff up, which has now created success and opportunities for them in other avenues.

I read a story in the Winston Salem Journal that said we are now at "full staff" with the addition of Lance Taylor, a former receiver and graduate assistant coach at Alabama, and Jason Blalock, a former player and grad assistant at ASU.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/feb/25/coaching-staff-at-asu-in-place-for-2009-season/sports-college-football/

Neither are mentioned to be manning the QB coach position, and the article mentioned the possibility of Chris Moore filling Satterfiled's "position" as in charge of running the offense (not to be confused with an offensive coordinator). If I had a guess, Chris would be taking over the reigns as QB coach too. He has been in charge of running backs since 05 and helped coach KR and everyone there after to some pretty big numbers.

KiddBrewer
February 26th, 2009, 01:35 PM
carter hasnt been here long has he, maybe a year? wheres he going?

also, did trey get a job somewhere?

Skjellyfetti
February 26th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Coaching and teaching at Byrnes High School in South Carolina.

Appinator
February 26th, 2009, 01:46 PM

From the article:

Winston Salem Journal

"Taylor will coach receivers and replace Antonio Carter, who took a job as an assistant coach at Eastern Michigan."

Wildcat80
February 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I'd have thought OL Coach Elliott would act as OC this year? Yes?

AppMan
February 26th, 2009, 04:52 PM
JM doesn't believe in having a offensive coordinator. His son Chris Moore, the RB coach, will be replacing Satterfield in the box and was recently rewarded with a very large pay increase (percentage wise), most of anyone on the staff.

SoCon48
February 26th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Thank the AD for that raise. These guys work for chicken feed compared to other winning programs anyway.

SoCon48
February 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM

One season.

AppMan
February 26th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Thank the AD for that raise. These guys work for chicken feed compared to other winning programs anyway.

The AD had nothing to do with it. All the thanks goes to the head coach. Took the money Satterfield was making and gave his son a big chunk of it. The rest goes to former ASU player Jason Blalock who returns and fills the open spot left by Satterfield. BTW this bunch does not work for "chicken feed" when compared to the SoCon and other top FCS staffs. Fact is they are one of the higher paid (not just the head coach) in the division. Example, how many LB coaches at this level make $80,000+ per year?

SoCon48
February 26th, 2009, 11:09 PM
The AD had nothing to do with it. All the thanks goes to the head coach. Took the money Satterfield was making and gave his son a big chunk of it. The rest goes to former ASU player Jason Blalock who returns and fills the open spot left by Satterfield. BTW this bunch does not work for "chicken feed" when compared to the SoCon and other top FCS staffs. Fact is they are one of the higher paid (not just the head coach) in the division. Example, how many LB coaches at this level make $80,000+ per year?

That's odd the AD had nothing to do with coaches' salaries!!! I find that hard to believe. Totally amazing. At most schools, the AD certainly does, especially when hiring time comes. I think someone has passed on some bogus information. Moore might have submitted the figures, but no way it bypassed Cobb to Peacock.

I hope ASU who many want to move to the next level in the NCAA isn't comparing itself in coaches' salaries to the rest of the SoCon especially after this staff has won 3 national championships in 4 years and beat Michigan.
Haven't checked recently, but I'd bet GSU pays Hatcher more than Moore gets. If not, it's for good reason given the recent performance of GSU..thus far. I'd bet Lembo's salary approaches Moore's.
ACC head coaches bottom out at $1 Million.

Fact is they are one of the higher paid (not just the head coach) in the division
I see no reason they wouldn't be the top paid in the FCS. But I'm certain they aren't. We're going to get a rude awakening if and when we try to move up. We've had a bargain in Moore. We won't get that when we rehire. Can you say "WORKING?"

SoCon48
February 26th, 2009, 11:22 PM

I haven't seen Hatcher's salary, but I do know that he was going to be offered close to $300,000 to take the job when he was being looked at.

ASU
February 27th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I haven't seen Hatcher's salary, but I do know that he was going to be offered close to $300,000 to take the job when he was being looked at.

I thought I had read that Hatcher was somewhere around $120,000 to $140,000 range.....but could just be senility.

Syntax Error
February 27th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I thought I had read that Hatcher was somewhere around $120,000 to $140,000 range.....but could just be senility.Hatcher was making $100K at D-II VSU. Georgia Southern doesn't skimp on their head coach so $300K is not that ridiculous.

eaglewithabus
February 27th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Hatcher was making $100K at D-II VSU. Georgia Southern doesn't skimp on their head coach so $300K is not that ridiculous.

Hatchers salary as reported by the state is like 100-120, then the boosters throw in another 100 as I understand it. So that puts him in the 200-220 range and then comes incentives and benefits like cars and bonuses and stuff. I would guess he is in the 250 range....However, in statesboro, 250 is more like 7 million.

Eaglegus2
February 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Coach Hatcher receives around $300K per year at Georgia Southern.

Hell, even BVG was getting $400K for the one year he was there.

SideLine Shooter
February 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM

You got a deal with BVG. Hate you lost him.xnodx

SoCon48
February 27th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Unless we want another Mike Working, we'll have to fork over that kind of dough if we want to go up and play with the big boys, which will mean we'll also likely have to pay the basketball coach about the same. At present that sounds like a huge waste.:(

appstfan
February 27th, 2009, 12:25 PM
The published salary for Coach Hatcher was $203,700 for 2007-2008.

Wildcat80
February 27th, 2009, 01:13 PM
JM doesn't believe in having a offensive coordinator. His son Chris Moore, the RB coach, will be replacing Satterfield in the box and was recently rewarded with a very large pay increase (percentage wise), most of anyone on the staff.

If he is successful he sets himself up as a legit successor to his Dad. Will be interesting to watch after Armanti is gone.

AppMan
March 1st, 2009, 08:35 AM
If he is successful he sets himself up as a legit successor to his Dad. Will be interesting to watch after Armanti is gone.

That is the impending nightmare many of us are expecting to play out. Thankfully, Ken Peacock (chancellor) and Charlie Cobb are smart enough to never allow that to happen.

AppMan
March 1st, 2009, 09:06 AM
That's odd the AD had nothing to do with coaches' salaries!!! I find that hard to believe. Totally amazing. At most schools, the AD certainly does, especially when hiring time comes. I think someone has passed on some bogus information. Moore might have submitted the figures, but no way it bypassed Cobb to Peacock.

I hope ASU who many want to move to the next level in the NCAA isn't comparing itself in coaches' salaries to the rest of the SoCon especially after this staff has won 3 national championships in 4 years and beat Michigan.
Haven't checked recently, but I'd bet GSU pays Hatcher more than Moore gets. If not, it's for good reason given the recent performance of GSU..thus far. I'd bet Lembo's salary approaches Moore's.
ACC head coaches bottom out at $1 Million.

Fact is they are one of the higher paid (not just the head coach) in the division
I see no reason they wouldn't be the top paid in the FCS. But I'm certain they aren't. We're going to get a rude awakening if and when we try to move up. We've had a bargain in Moore. We won't get that when we rehire. Can you say "WORKING?"

You don't have to go postal. I realize you think JM can do no wrong, but it is his decision how much to pay his coaches, not the AD! Of course Cobb had to approve it, but Coach Moore is where the pay increase originated. If JM doesn't propose it, it doesn't happen. Try to use some common sense for a change. BTW, I love how you attempt to parlay this into a rant about how little our coaches are paid. Take a look at how the entire staff stacks up against the SoCon and FCS. Moore may not make the huge bucks, although a $170,000 base isn't bad, but how many linebacker coaches in this division make $75,000 per year, O-line coaches make $70,000, D-Coordinator $81,000, D-line coach $63,000? Guess once ASU makes it to the ACC we'll have all the additional revenue to pay our head man $1 million. In the mean time try using a FBS comparison that makes a little more sense.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 1st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Hatchers salary as reported by the state is like 100-120, then the boosters throw in another 100 as I understand it. So that puts him in the 200-220 range and then comes incentives and benefits like cars and bonuses and stuff. I would guess he is in the 250 range....However, in statesboro, 250 is more like 7 million.

The GSU football coach also usually gets to do various TV and radio commercials, which bring in even more money. On a decent year he can rake in around $300k.

By the way, who has been calling the plays for Appy, anyways?

blueballs
March 1st, 2009, 09:45 AM
The published salary for Coach Hatcher was $203,700 for 2007-2008.

Published salary in this case does not equal total earnings. Because Hatcher is a state employee his published salary will only be those monies paid by the university in accordance with state accounting and freedom of information guidelines. Hatcher is paid additional monies by Southern Boosters (which is a private entity), earns money from his television (broadcast on FSNSouth) and radio shows, camps, and gets a car.

I would guess his total earnings/value of compensation are at or around $300k.

Appstate29
March 1st, 2009, 02:58 PM
That is the impending nightmare many of us are expecting to play out. Thankfully, Ken Peacock (chancellor) and Charlie Cobb are smart enough to never allow that to happen.

I'm not as in tune with all the coaching goings-on, but I'm extremely wary of nepotism and hope that CC is also cautious.

ASU
March 1st, 2009, 07:27 PM
I'm not as in tune with all the coaching goings-on, but I'm extremely wary of nepotism and hope that CC is also cautious.

I thought we were going to get Mack Brown, our former coach, back from Texas when he retires.

smallcollegefbfan
March 1st, 2009, 07:55 PM
Coaching and teaching at Byrnes High School in South Carolina.

The move by Elder probably helps ASU a great deal in the recruiting process at Byrnes.

SoCon48
March 1st, 2009, 10:33 PM
You don't have to go postal. I realize you think JM can do no wrong, but it is his decision how much to pay his coaches, not the AD! Of course Cobb had to approve it, but Coach Moore is where the pay increase originated. If JM doesn't propose it, it doesn't happen. Try to use some common sense for a change. BTW, I love how you attempt to parlay this into a rant about how little our coaches are paid. Take a look at how the entire staff stacks up against the SoCon and FCS. Moore may not make the huge bucks, although a $170,000 base isn't bad, but how many linebacker coaches in this division make $75,000 per year, O-line coaches make $70,000, D-Coordinator $81,000, D-line coach $63,000? Guess once ASU makes it to the ACC we'll have all the additional revenue to pay our head man $1 million. In the mean time try using a FBS comparison that makes a little more sense.

How about getting off your high horse.
A D-line coach making $63 sure isn't a big deal. I know used car salesmen who make that.
I just think that the program which has won 3 National Championships in 4 years deserves the top salaries in FCS.

Touchdown Yosef
March 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM

It won't, Cobb has already stated that he will not hire a new HC who only has ASU experience, it is that quote that sent Saterfield to Toledo and will ensure a wide range of options when the day comes that we replace Jerry Moore.

SoCon48
March 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM

" I realize you think JM can do no wrong, but it is his decision how much to pay his coaches, not the AD"

You mean the way you view HF??

Cobb ultimately pulls all the strings. That's why they call him the AD.

gvilleapp
March 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
I think Trey being back at Byrnes could also be a sign that recruits and other coaches on staff down there may want to come up the mountain. There is a highly successful and innovative former HC on staff down there that also has experiece moving a college program up from a lower level, something ASU appears to be interested in doing.

ASU would be wise to stay in close touch with that gentleman.

AppMan
March 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM

Thankfully CC is very aware of what is going on.

AppMan
March 5th, 2009, 08:01 PM
How about getting off your high horse.
A D-line coach making $63 sure isn't a big deal. I know used car salesmen who make that.
I just think that the program which has won 3 National Championships in 4 years deserves the top salaries in FCS.

John, I have never been on any high horse. I can reply to someone without getting all bent out of shape and using huge text, red bold letters and several exclamation points. A d-line coach making $63 K isn't a big deal? Well the d-line coach at FBS ECU only makes about $10K more and the d-line coach at WCU makes about $22K LESS. So, I'd say $63K is a pretty big deal for the FCS.

AppMan
March 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM
It won't, Cobb has already stated that he will not hire a new HC who only has ASU experience, it is that quote that sent Saterfield to Toledo and will ensure a wide range of options when the day comes that we replace Jerry Moore.

That's not exactly what Charlie said, but he did indicate he would be more likely to hire someone with some experience elsewhere. However, be that as it may, that is far from the main reason Satterfield left for Toledo.