PDA

View Full Version : Question about bowl games and Division I-AA

Lumberjacks76
November 24th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Do NCAA rules prevent a Division I-AA team from playing in a Division I-A bowl game (should not all Division I-A teams qualify for postseason bowls)?

Or would Division I-A teams with 5-6 records petition the NCAA for a waiver on the 6 win requirement?

Paul

arkstfan
November 24th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Find a I-AA team that has wins over 5 I-A programs and at least one win over a I-AA program with 60 or more FTE's in football and that team can go to a bowl. This year I believe there were only two wins by I-AA over I-A so I'm thinking there isn't an eligible team in I-AA.

It is already guaranteed that every bowl will have an eligible team this year.

The only exception allowed for not having the six countable wins (seven for teams playing 12 games) is to be champion of a I-A conference and that requires a Management Council waiver.

In other sports conference champs get auto qualification. I think there have been something like 18 schools make the NCAA Basketball Tournament with a losing record since 1970. It could in theory happen in I-AA if a team played a really challenging non-conference slate, since there are several conferences you could win with 5 league victories.

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Good thing the winner of ULM/ULL will have six wins...

The Sun Belt needs to face reality and come I-AA. If ULM wins, the Sun Belt champs would of lost to the 4th best team in the SLC...

GAD
November 24th, 2005, 07:24 AM
In the early 90's when Steve McNair was at Alcorn the Liberty Bowl wanted to invite the Braves but they had not played any I-A teams, much less beaten 6 to qualify.

Most I-AA teams don't draw well enough to go to a bowl game Montana,Delaware and Southern are probably exceptions. Perhaps if you got some of the big name I-AA Ga. Southern, Youngstown, McNeese etc etc you might have something but I-AA has a playoff screw those bowls