PDA

View Full Version : Instant replay is coming to Chattanooga.

chattanoogamocs
November 23rd, 2005, 09:31 PM
(truncated from the Times-Free Press coverage of the kickoff press conference/rouser)

Officials from the NCAA said Tuesday that a Southeastern Conference officiating crew would have instant replay at its disposal for the Division I-AA football championship game Dec. 16 at Finley Stadium.
Dennis Poppe, the NCAA’s managing director for football and baseball, said this will be the first time instant replay has been used in I-AA football, and he hopes the replays will be shown on the Finley Jumbotron.
"We hope to expand it into all of our televised championship games of the future," he said.
Poppe said instant replay was a hit in major conferences this year, cutting back the e-mails he received in the past from angry fans irritated about calls. As in all college instances, the plays to be reviewed will be determined by officials and not by coaches.

http://gomocs.com/images/articles/74460_Poppe-web.jpg
(Dennis Poppe...photo credit: gomocs.com)

chattanoogamocs
November 23rd, 2005, 09:33 PM
if this has already been discussed in another thread, I apologize...I have been away for a week and did feel like digging through pages of threads :)

GaSouthern
November 23rd, 2005, 09:33 PM
you mean if the refs want they can over turn a call via watching the play on a provided TV like I-A does it???

chattanoogamocs
November 23rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
yep...that is the way I understand it.

UNHWildCats
November 23rd, 2005, 09:48 PM
(truncated from the Times-Free Press coverage of the kickoff press conference/rouser)

Officials from the NCAA said Tuesday that a Southeastern Conference officiating crew would have instant replay at its disposal for the Division I-AA football championship game Dec. 16 at Finley Stadium.
Dennis Poppe, the NCAA’s managing director for football and baseball, said this will be the first time instant replay has been used in I-AA football, and he hopes the replays will be shown on the Finley Jumbotron.
"We hope to expand it into all of our televised championship games of the future," he said.
Poppe said instant replay was a hit in major conferences this year, cutting back the e-mails he received in the past from angry fans irritated about calls. As in all college instances, the plays to be reviewed will be determined by officials and not by coaches.

http://gomocs.com/images/articles/74460_Poppe-web.jpg
(Dennis Poppe...photo credit: gomocs.com)

i am all for instant replay however I dont agree with it being instituted for a game. The teams in the playoffs have lived and died without instant replay and to bring it in now makes no sense.

chattanoogamocs
November 23rd, 2005, 09:56 PM
I was thinking to myself as I posted...everyone will be happy with this one.

...then I remembered, this is AGS...someone won't be happy :smiley_wi xlolx

But seriously, I applaud any effort to "get it right"...especially with a championship on the line.

...I assume that if all playoff games were televised, they would probably expand instant replay to the entire tournament.

For now, it's a start.

UNHWildCats
November 23rd, 2005, 10:00 PM
I was thinking to myself as I posted...everyone will be happy with this one.

...then I remembered, this is AGS...someone won't be happy :smiley_wi xlolx

But seriously, I applaud any effort to "get it right"...especially with a championship on the line.

...I assume that if all playoff games were televised, they would probably expand instant replay to the entire tournament.

For now, it's a start.

its changing an element of the game that all the players are used to, it would be like playing all year with a 10 yard endzone and making it 15 yards foir the championship.

Mr. C
November 23rd, 2005, 10:45 PM
App State probably wouldn't have minded having instant replay for the game at Furman. It would have probably overturned a pass interference call on Jerome Touchstone that gave Furman a first down when the Mountaineers had stopped them on third and long deep in Paladin territory on the last Furman drive. And it definitely would have overturned the out of bounds call when Jermane Little was running back the kickoff for a score after Ingle Martin's last TD pass. Film showed Little was in bounds by a good foot on the play. Of course those who see a lot of SoCon games get used to bad calls by the officials. If any league could use replay ...

GrizSweeper
November 23rd, 2005, 10:50 PM
would the coaches have a certain number of challenges or will it be all up to the referee as to what plays get reviewed?

UNHWildCats
November 23rd, 2005, 10:52 PM
App State probably wouldn't have minded having instant replay for the game at Furman. It would have probably overturned a pass interference call on Jerome Touchstone that gave Furman a first down when the Mountaineers had stopped them on third and long deep in Paladin territory on the last Furman drive. And it definitely would have overturned the out of bounds call when Jermane Little was running back the kickoff for a score after Ingle Martin's last TD pass. Film showed Little was in bounds by a good foot on the play. Of course those who see a lot of SoCon games get used to bad calls by the officials. If any league could use replay ...

have penalty calls ever been subject to review?

UNHWildCats
November 23rd, 2005, 10:52 PM
would the coaches have a certain number of challenges or will it be all up to the referee as to what plays get reviewed?

i would assume it be like I-A and its all done but the people upstairs.

GannonFan
November 23rd, 2005, 10:56 PM
I'm perfectly fine with having the instant replay - this game will be one of the only ones all year where there is sufficient camera coverage to provide the angles necessary for a good replay review. As the coaches have nothing to do with choosing what gets replayed (the official in the booth decides when to review) then the argument that this changes the way that games have been played up to this point is a bit of a stretch. It's not like they're banning the forward pass for this game or, as another poster said, changing the yardage required. For the teams playing they won't do anything differently than what they've done all year - you don't all of a sudden run plays that may or may not be good reviewed plays.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2005, 10:56 PM
I don't like this decision at all. The rules are constent all season and then they are modified for one game?? It's not fair for the rest of the teams. If we had instant replay, we beat Colgate 15-12 and are 9-2. But guess what, we are not, and so are many other teams that are without a win more. The same should apply for the final. If you are dependent upon one major call at the end of the game being made or broken by replay, you better go back and look at what you didn't accomplish over the course of the game to get into that replay situation.

eagleskins
November 24th, 2005, 02:50 AM

You cannot review a penalty call.

Baldy
November 24th, 2005, 03:30 AM

I would have loved to have had it in our game against Furman, also. Eventhough the blown call didn't change the outcome, it sure did change how the game was played. A 21-10 halftime advantage is much better than 14-10, and a possible double digit win against the #1 team in the nation is more impressive than a 3 point nailbiter.

arkstfan
November 24th, 2005, 06:59 AM
its changing an element of the game that all the players are used to, it would be like playing all year with a 10 yard endzone and making it 15 yards foir the championship.

Not really. A deeper end zone would give coaches more of their playbook to use as they move closer to the end zone. Replay wouldn't change strategy. The only impact on the game will potentially be some play stoppages that wouldn't have happened but the enhanced TV coverage is already going to bring in some extended delays that normally do not happen.

Cincy App
November 24th, 2005, 07:14 AM
I would have loved to have had it in our game against Furman, also. Eventhough the blown call didn't change the outcome, it sure did change how the game was played. A 21-10 halftime advantage is much better than 14-10, and a possible double digit win against the #1 team in the nation is more impressive than a 3 point nailbiter.

Good example. I welcome instant replay. Imagine if that play occurred at the end of the game (instead of the half) and wasn't called correctly!

Mr. C
November 24th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Georgia Southern would have won that game going away without the bad officiating that day. I know that things even out in the end, eventually, but Furman has received more than its share of favorable calls this year (remember Jacksonville State?).

OL FU
November 24th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Georgia Southern would have won that game going away without the bad officiating that day. I know that things even out in the end, eventually, but Furman has received more than its share of favorable calls this year (remember Jacksonville State?).

:rolleyes:

Who killed Kennedy?

Good grief.

PantherMan
November 24th, 2005, 10:32 AM

That's not a very fair assessment. Instant replay does not intrude on game play any more than playing a televised game. Any measure taken to get things right is a step towards progress.

thirdgendin
November 24th, 2005, 11:33 AM

The call at the GSU game was a bad call. ASU's kick returner was out of bounds.

Jacksonville State? You mean the incomplete pass hitting the ground with 3 seconds remaining but the clock running down to 0:00? Yeah, time should definitely go back on the clock then.

Mr. C
November 24th, 2005, 07:24 PM
The call at the GSU game was a bad call. ASU's kick returner was out of bounds.

Jacksonville State? You mean the incomplete pass hitting the ground with 3 seconds remaining but the clock running down to 0:00? Yeah, time should definitely go back on the clock then.
The game film CLEARLY showed that Jermane Little was in bounds on the kickoff return. It was CLEARLY a bad call.

November 24th, 2005, 08:46 PM
...It was CLEARLY a bad call.Conspiracy against App St? xlolx

thirdgendin
November 24th, 2005, 10:12 PM
The game film CLEARLY showed that Jermane Little was in bounds on the kickoff return. It was CLEARLY a bad call.

We must have seen different film then.

GreatAppSt
November 24th, 2005, 11:35 PM

You seem to have an ESPN talking head mentality?

God forbid TV shows I-AA to have instant replay just like some BCS conferences. There is no need to help insure that officials make correct calls it's too small time for that. After all nobody cares if team X gets their season ruined by a bad call for a championship of the nation? :rolleyes: :asswhip:

Instant replay capabilities in the I-AA Championship could only upgrade many college football fans opinion of I-AA. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

ASU Kep
November 25th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Am I the only personsuprised to learn that an SEC officiating crew oversees the title game? What's up with that? I guess it assures an impartial game, but isn't it sort of odd? I'll bet you won't see I-AA officials in the BCS games.

Eaglegus2
November 25th, 2005, 07:00 AM
:rolleyes:

Who killed Kennedy?

Good grief.

Which Kennedy are you referring to?

rokamortis
November 25th, 2005, 07:20 AM
I have a conflicted opinion. I agree that the teams shouldn't be subjected to new rules in the championship game but I also feel like I-AA conferences should adopt instant replay. So if this could open some doors to I-AA getting instant replay then I'm all for it.

HensRock
November 25th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Am I the only personsuprised to learn that an SEC officiating crew oversees the title game?

No. You are not the only one.

Baldy
November 25th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Am I the only person suprised to learn that an SEC officiating crew oversees the title game? What's up with that? I guess it assures an impartial game, but isn't it sort of odd? I'll bet you won't see I-AA officials in the BCS games.

I'm suprised and happy. Officiating has it's own pecking order. The best I-AA officials don't stay in I-AA for long, they move to the SEC, ACC, Pac10, Big 10, etc. I would much rather have an SEC crew than an "all-star" SoCon, A-10, or whatever I-AA conference crew.

rokamortis
November 25th, 2005, 09:22 AM
I'm suprised and happy. Officiating has it's own pecking order. The best I-AA officials don't stay in I-AA for long, they move to the SEC, ACC, Pac10, Big 10, etc. I would much rather have an SEC crew than an "all-star" SoCon, A-10, or whatever I-AA conference crew.

An off-topic but similar subject. The Big South has a deal with the ACC where when 2 conference opponnets play each other that the other conference supplies the refs. Do other conferences have similar agreements in place?

windwalker
November 25th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Of course those who see a lot of SoCon games get used to bad calls by the officials. If any league could use replay ...

I think most would rather have the SoCon officials over the MEAC officials....
Some of them do Friday night HS games, and forget the rule changes on Sat.

Golden Eagle
November 25th, 2005, 07:16 PM
SEC OFFICIALS?!?!?!

They're going to need that instant replay equipment with these guys calling the game. Oof.

December 18th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Was the first ever instant replay call in I-AA a blown call? I was on the field and I thought the ball was downed at the 1/2 yard line... then they called for a replay and reversed the onfield call. I thought they must have seen something until I got up to the press box shortly thereafter and two different conference head of officials said they blew the call and the onfield decision should have been upheld.

They also said that the pass interference call in the end zone against the UNI DB should not have been called because the ball was clearly uncatchable.

Dr. Strangelove
December 18th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Was the first ever instant replay call in I-AA a blown call? I was on the field and I thought the ball was downed at the 1/2 yard line... then they called for a replay and reversed the onfield call. I thought they must have seen something until I got up to the press box shortly thereafter and two different conference head of officials said they blew the call and the onfield decision should have been upheld.

They also said that the pass interference call in the end zone against the UNI DB should not have been called because the ball was clearly uncatchable.

When the replay was shown on the scoreboard, I said out loud "his heel is on the goal line." But two guys sitting behind me said that didn't matter, because the ball never broke the plane.

What does the rule say?

December 18th, 2005, 02:21 AM
When the replay was shown on the scoreboard, I said out loud "his heel is on the goal line." But two guys sitting behind me said that didn't matter, because the ball never broke the plane.

What does the rule say?I was told it didn't matter where his feet were, it had to do with where the ball was. Maybe the SEC (semi-pro) replay officials were confused.

kardplayer
December 18th, 2005, 08:02 AM
I was told it didn't matter where his feet were, it had to do with where the ball was. Maybe the SEC (semi-pro) replay officials were confused.

Two guys had their feet clearly on the goalline. I just reviewed the NCAA Football rule book and the rules only talk about the ball, they are, as far as I can tell, completely silent on the player having a foot in the end zone while the ball is not. That doesn't make any sense, given that they have tons of scenarios documented that would be an obvious one.

To me, this is the coaches' fault as much as the official's. The best coaches know (or have someone on the sidelines who knows) the rulebook inside and out so they can prevail in these type of situations.

In last weekend's Sunday night game, the Packers were able to get an intentional grounding safety overturned because their HC was savvy enough to know the rules and convince the officials of his interpretation.