PDA

View Full Version : Savannah State close to joining the MEAC

DSUrocks07
February 23rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
http://savannahnow.com/node/677527

Since the MEAC voted to lift the moratorium on expanding the conference, this opens the door for SSU and also NCCU as well. But knowing our conference officials...I have full confidence that they'll find someway to muck it up.

dgreco
February 23rd, 2009, 07:23 AM
hope this happens. It will bring FCS football to 0 independent teams and it will bring all of D-I down to 2 Independents (Seattle and CSU-Bakersfield).

UNHWildCats
February 23rd, 2009, 07:38 AM
North
Delaware State
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central
Howard
Morgan State
Winston-Salem State

South
Savannah State
Florida A&M
Bethune-Cookman
South Carolina State
Hampton
Norfolk State

I suppose this would be the best set up of divisions. It would keep the NC schools and the Virginia schools in the same divisions, though its not perfect.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 23rd, 2009, 07:38 AM
Having a split-conference for football will also give the MEAC more OOC scheduling opportunities. I mean, I assume they won't have to play 9 conference games a year now.

GATA
February 23rd, 2009, 07:57 AM
Maybe the MEAC is taking the CAA approach by making their football conference so big that they're forced to get a ridiculous amount of teams in the NCAA tournament....even though they don't play a conference title game..

henfan
February 23rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Maybe the MEAC is taking the CAA approach by making their football conference so big that they're forced to get a ridiculous amount of teams in the NCAA tournament....even though they don't play a conference title game..

The MEAC's a completely different situation than the CAA, as anyone who follows D-I sports understands.

With respect to FB, simply increasing the number of teams who participate in the MEAC won't improve their chances of landing more or even any at large playoff bids. They'll be subject to the same strength of schedule criteria applied to the SoCon, CAA, etc. and will be competing with those conferences for the same at-large bids.

dgreco
February 23rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
North
Delaware State
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central
Howard
Morgan State
Winston-Salem State

South
Savannah State
Florida A&M
Bethune-Cookman
South Carolina State
Hampton
Norfolk State

I suppose this would be the best set up of divisions. It would keep the NC schools and the Virginia schools in the same divisions, though its not perfect.

I would say....

North
Delaware State
Howard
Morgan State
Winston-Salem State/North Carolina A&T (Can't really tell which is further north)
Hampton
Norfolk State

South
North Carolina A&T/Winston-Salem State (Can't really tell which is further south)
North Carolina Central
Savannah State
Florida A&M
Bethune-Cookman
South Carolina State

All Sports would be:

North
Delaware State
Howard
Morgan State
Hampton
Norfolk State
UM-Eastern Shore
Coppin State

South
North Carolina A&T
Winston-Salem State
North Carolina Central
Savannah State
Florida A&M
Bethune-Cookman
South Carolina State

Pitbull
February 23rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
There is a big question mark on WSSU since they have been having issues w/ their athletic budget....I hope it works out..I would love for our OOC sched to include some SoCon/Big South teams on a consistant basis if we got to divisional play..... xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
February 23rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
I'm giving Pitbull rep points just for his sig xlolx

WestCoastAggie
February 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM

Now all we gotta do is WIN SOME GAMES, like the CAA!

In order to be the best, you have to beat the best!

MplsBison
February 23rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
hope this happens. It will bring FCS football to 0 independent teams and it will bring all of D-I down to 2 Independents (Seattle and CSU-Bakersfield).

Bakersfield should be in the Big West without much problem.

Seattle you would think would be an easy add for the WCC, but who knows?

DFW HOYA
February 23rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Seattle you would think would be an easy add for the WCC, but who knows?

Seattle has been turned down by the WCC at least once, maybe twice in the last few years.

BearsCountry
February 23rd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Seattle has been turned down by the WCC at least once, maybe twice in the last few years.

I would assume the WCC will wait till they are eligable for NCAA tournament ala like the Summit did for NDSU and SDSU. I would also say the WCC is seeing who else to add with them either Pacific or Denver.

MplsBison
February 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Denver doesn't really strike me as a "west coast" school.

CollegeSportsInfo
February 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
I would assume the WCC will wait till they are eligable for NCAA tournament ala like the Summit did for NDSU and SDSU. I would also say the WCC is seeing who else to add with them either Pacific or Denver.

Denver is a big city in the west region so flights are plentiful. It's not too much work for the teams to fly to Portland, Spokane, LAX, etc and vice versa.

HIU 93
February 23rd, 2009, 06:27 PM
North
Delaware State
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central
Howard
Morgan State
Winston-Salem State

South
Savannah State
Florida A&M
Bethune-Cookman
South Carolina State
Hampton
Norfolk State

That alignment doesn't make sense. To HIU and NSU should be in the north, and WSSU, NCCU, and A&T should be in the South.

Besides, SSU should NOT be allowed to join the MEAC.

DSUrocks07
February 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
That alignment doesn't make sense. To HIU and NSU should be in the north, and WSSU, NCCU, and A&T should be in the South.

On what grounds?

UNHWildCats
February 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM

theres no perfect setup....

i put the 2 virginia schools in the south and the three NC in the north because none of the other south teams would make any sense in the north... I suppose you could put South Carolina State in the north as opposed to two virginia teams in the south.

They could split up the NC schools, but i think thats unlikely as expense wise its best to have them all in the same division.

dgreco
February 23rd, 2009, 06:45 PM

i put the 2 virginia schools in the south and the three NC in the north because none of the other south teams would make any sense in the north... I suppose you could put South Carolina State in the north as opposed to two virginia teams in the south.

They could split up the NC schools, but i think thats unlikely as expense wise its best to have them all in the same division.

what? 2 NC in the north and 1 in the south.... How does that not make sense? Taken the northern most NC school and put them in the north and put the other two NC schools in the south.

kirkblitz
February 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
There is a big question mark on WSSU since they have been having issues w/ their athletic budget....I hope it works out..I would love for our OOC sched to include some SoCon/Big South teams on a consistant basis if we got to divisional play..... xnodx

sc state is probably in my top 5 away games every in conway. best band hands down xrotatehx

is/can be a hell of a rivalry

DSUrocks07
February 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM
what? 2 NC in the north and 1 in the south.... How does that not make sense? Taken the northern most NC school and put them in the north and put the other two NC schools in the south.

Exactly, Do a 5-3 format in the 8 game slate (5 division, 3 non-division) with 1 guarantee game every year if you choose. That way you could have A&T in the north (based on traditional rivalrys with Hampton and the like) and WSSU and NCCU in the south. 3 OOC games every year, (and potentially 4 OOCs once in a while.), developing more rivalries, lower travel expenses for conference play. This makes so much sense that the MEAC officials will be too stupid enough not to do it.

Get Savannah State and North Carolina Central into the MEAC now. And WSSU, get your ish together already!!! The MEAC is on the rise xthumbsupx

813Jag
February 24th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Exactly, Do a 5-3 format in the 8 game slate (5 division, 3 non-division) with 1 guarantee game every year if you choose. That way you could have A&T in the north (based on traditional rivalrys with Hampton and the like) and WSSU and NCCU in the south. 3 OOC games every year, (and potentially 4 OOCs once in a while.), developing more rivalries, lower travel expenses for conference play. This makes so much sense that the MEAC officials will be too stupid enough not to do it.

Get Savannah State and North Carolina Central into the MEAC now. And WSSU, get your ish together already!!! The MEAC is on the rise xthumbsupx
That's a tough one, especially if there's no natural rival in the other division. Hopefully the MEAC can make it work better than the SWAC did. With most east division schools wanting Southern or Grambling and west division schools wanting Jackson St.

DSUrocks07
February 24th, 2009, 03:44 PM
That's a tough one, especially if there's no natural rival in the other division. Hopefully the MEAC can make it work better than the SWAC did. With most east division schools wanting Southern or Grambling and west division schools wanting Jackson St.

Thats why I would have only one guaranteed game. One advantage that the MEAC has over the SWAC is the number of "marquee" teams to choose from. (Which in my opinion is more perception than reality.)

MEAC

Hampton
Howard
FAMU
SC State
A&T
BCC

Compared to the SWAC

Jackson St
Grambling
Southern

WileECoyote06
February 24th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Thats why I would have only one guaranteed game. One advantage that the MEAC has over the SWAC is the number of "marquee" teams to choose from. (Which in my opinion is more perception than reality.)

MEAC

Hampton
Howard
FAMU
SC State
A&T
BCC

Compared to the SWAC

Jackson St
Grambling
Southern

I think A & T will go to the south along with WSSU and NCCU will be placed in the North.

HIU 93
February 25th, 2009, 07:24 AM
On what grounds?

They are in an administrative quagmire and we don't need to add problems to our conference. Let them straighten themselves out, and then we can add them.

HIU 93
February 25th, 2009, 07:26 AM

That alignment doesn't make sense. That alignment throws out a century of tradition along with killing rivalries.

HIU 93
February 25th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Where do you get that from? We have no "traditional rivalry" with A&T. We like playing them because it is a fun game (A&T fans are AWESOME!!!!), but there is no rivalry. Our traditional rivalries are Virginia Union and Norfolk State. Since we are D-I and have been for 14 years now, Union is no longer a rivalry. Norfolk State is still a huge rivalry, and since coming to the MEAC, Howard has become a HUGE rivalry. If you follow your alignment plan, those REAL rivalries, and a century of tradition, are thrown out of the window. Why? To add Savannah State? If we do that, then we deserve anything that happens to us.

MplsBison
February 25th, 2009, 07:35 AM
This is the biggest problem with expansion: everyone takes a different issue with it and it's always about ME, ME, ME! No one really cares what's good for the conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 25th, 2009, 09:17 AM
At some point, the MEAC schools are going to have to sit down and ask a tough question: do we want to be SWAC lite, or are we really a playoff conference? Expansion will only make it even more urgent that this sit-down happen.

This would point to three possibilities:

1) consensus is reached with a creaky conference structure with multiple unhappy campers;

2) the MEAC splits itself into two conferences, one which plays in the playoffs and another which does not; or

3) the MEAC removes itself from the playoffs, and unhappy schools jump to other conferences.

If the MEAC thinks about dumping the playoffs in order to align more closely with the SWAC, I think Delaware State would be the first to bolt followed closely by SCSU, Hampton, Morgan State, and Norfolk State. (Perhaps Delaware State might join the NEC, while Hampton, SCSU, Morgan and Norfolk join the Big South?)

I don't think any MEAC teams would join the SWAC or bolt to form their own conference without an autobid in basketball, but it they did, I think FAMU and B-CU would be the first two schools to do so.

DSUrocks07
February 25th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Where do you get that from? We have no "traditional rivalry" with A&T. We like playing them because it is a fun game (A&T fans are AWESOME!!!!), but there is no rivalry. Our traditional rivalries are Virginia Union and Norfolk State. Since we are D-I and have been for 14 years now, Union is no longer a rivalry. Norfolk State is still a huge rivalry, and since coming to the MEAC, Howard has become a HUGE rivalry. If you follow your alignment plan, those REAL rivalries, and a century of tradition, are thrown out of the window. Why? To add Savannah State? If we do that, then we deserve anything that happens to us.

No, because Hampton, Howard and Norfolk will all be in the same division.

Not seeing which "REAL" rivalries that will be affected from this realignment. FAMU and Hampton? xconfusedx The one guaranteed game every year against an opposite divisional opponent will remedy that. And the other games will cycle through.

gophoenix
February 25th, 2009, 09:45 AM
What about a two division like this.....

SoCon Division:
BCC
Howard
SC State
NC A&T
Hampton
BCC

Big South Division:
NC Central
WSSU
Morgan St
Norfolk St
Savannah St
Delware State

Ok, that wreaks of smack, and I am jsut joking really, sorry guys :)

813Jag
February 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM
What about a two division like this.....

SoCon Division:
BCC
Howard
SC State
NC A&T
Hampton
BCC

Big South Division:
NC Central
WSSU
Morgan St
Norfolk St
Savannah St
Delware State

Ok, that wreaks of smack, and I am jsut joking really, sorry guys :)
I hate to nitpick but two things: 1 you left of FAMU and 2 BCC is now BCU.

DSUrocks07
February 25th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Didn't you hear? FAMU when all FBS on us xlolx

All in all the MEAC is a pretty good conference. I would hate to see it dissolve and have the school split up amongst two or three conferences.

gophoenix
February 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM

BCU -- didn't know that, quite a shame. Heaven forbid colleges do the university thing whilke keeping their traditional names. AKA Elon College.

Anyway, one BCC = FAMU.

Otherwise, I expected more responses about it ;)

813Jag
February 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM
BCU -- didn't know that, quite a shame. Heaven forbid colleges do the university thing whilke keeping their traditional names. AKA Elon College.

Anyway, one BCC = FAMU.

Otherwise, I expected more responses about it ;)
They did a special show at the Florida Classic to announce the name change.

Big Dawg
February 25th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Anyway, one BCC = FAMU.

HELL NO!!!xcoolx

BearsCountry
February 25th, 2009, 06:46 PM
So if all of this goes down what would the divisions look like?

Bethune-Cookman
Florida A&M
North Carolina A&T
Savannah State
South Carolina State
Winston-Salem State

Delaware State
Hampton
Howard
Morgan State
Norfolk State
North Carolina Central

DSUrocks07
February 26th, 2009, 05:31 AM

Bethune-Cookman
Florida A&M
North Carolina A&T
Savannah State
South Carolina State
Winston-Salem State

Delaware State
Hampton
Howard
Morgan State
Norfolk State
North Carolina Central

That sounds about right. xpeacex

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of NCCU in the North (They are the expansion team, and adding three teams to one division could water it down.)

One extra OOC game for revenue and to increase our national exposure. Lower travel costs. Great idea all around! xthumbsupx

...but I'm sure the "traditionalists" will do nothing but hate all day on this plan.xoopsx

HIU 93
February 26th, 2009, 09:07 AM
No, because Hampton, Howard and Norfolk will all be in the same division.

Not seeing which "REAL" rivalries that will be affected from this realignment. FAMU and Hampton? xconfusedx The one guaranteed game every year against an opposite divisional opponent will remedy that. And the other games will cycle through.

The alignment I was speaking of was the one someone gave that had Hampton in a different division that Howard and Norfolk State, Morgan in a different division than Howard, and A&T and Central in different divisions. None of those make sense. Besides, SSU is as administratively messed up as can be, and WE DON'T NEED THAT.

We need to pursue schools that are progressing, not regressing. How about taking Central, letting Winston head back to the CIAA, and leaving it at that until and unless someone else steps up to the plate? Why do we always have to be the dumping grounds and take everybody else's trash. there is a reason that SSU is not in a conference. Why take on problems that are not ours?

Big Dawg
February 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
The alignment I was speaking of was the one someone gave that had Hampton in a different division that Howard and Norfolk State, Morgan in a different division than Howard, and A&T and Central in different divisions. None of those make sense. Besides, SSU is as administratively messed up as can be, and WE DON'T NEED THAT.

We need to pursue schools that are progressing, not regressing. How about taking Central, letting Winston head back to the CIAA, and leaving it at that until and unless someone else steps up to the plate? Why do we always have to be the dumping grounds and take everybody else's trash. there is a reason that SSU is not in a conference. Why take on problems that are not ours?

Actually SSU is improving

HIU 93
February 27th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Actually SSU is improving

Let me know when they have IMPROVED. They have been IMPROVING for years. Let another conference deal with the mediocrity. We should be searching for excellence.

Eaglesrus
February 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Let me know when they have IMPROVED. They have been IMPROVING for years. Let another conference deal with the mediocrity. We should be searching for excellence.

I say that they have improved. Before the last two football seasons they were TERRIBLE for years and somehow each year found a way to make it worse. With a new administration, both for the school and the athletics department they have started to turn things around. However, they were so far down it takes very little to show improvement, and I think that there's a serious limit to how much improvement they can make. Last night they won their 14th basketball game of the season, the most in memory, but they beat Carson Bible College, which I for one have never heard of before.

HIU 93
February 27th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I say that they have improved. Before the last two football seasons they were TERRIBLE for years and somehow each year found a way to make it worse. With a new administration, both for the school and the athletics department they have started to turn things around. However, they were so far down it takes very little to show improvement, and I think that there's a serious limit to how much improvement they can make. Last night they won their 14th basketball game of the season, the most in memory, but they beat Carson Bible College, which I for one have never heard of before.

Then y'all take them.

Eaglesrus
February 27th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Then y'all take them.

Didn't say y'all should take them, just agreeing with the other poster that SSU is improved. I have thought that they should go back to D-II for years (well, never thought they should have left it in the first place), and still will be extremely surprised if they attain any real success until they do. I mean, if the only way that you can achieve a winning record is to schedule the likes of Carson Bible College, or D-II and NAIA teams in football, then how can you call yourself D-I?

NoCoDanny
February 27th, 2009, 11:37 AM
What is the MEAC's mission exactly. To me, as an outsider this seems like a perfect fit. Is SSU without flaws, our course not. But is the MEAC in the busines of uplifting and promiting HBCU's or in just having the best athletic departments possible? I'm sure the fans are only concerned with the athletic departments but I'd hope the presidents understand there is a greater issue in play and to be a foundation to assist SSU establish themselves should be considered strongly because I would think (and again I'm an outsider) that when any one HBCU can grow and improve and not fail that's a benefit to all.

Big Dawg
February 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Didn't say y'all should take them, just agreeing with the other poster that SSU is improved. I have thought that they should go back to D-II for years (well, never thought they should have left it in the first place), and still will be extremely surprised if they attain any real success until they do. I mean, if the only way that you can achieve a winning record is to schedule the likes of Carson Bible College, or D-II and NAIA teams in football, then how can you call yourself D-I?

I think they have to try to build some morale first. They have a 2nd year coach so I say let's see what they can do.

HIU 93
February 27th, 2009, 01:25 PM
What is the MEAC's mission exactly. To me, as an outsider this seems like a perfect fit. Is SSU without flaws, our course not. But is the MEAC in the busines of uplifting and promiting HBCU's or in just having the best athletic departments possible? I'm sure the fans are only concerned with the athletic departments but I'd hope the presidents understand there is a greater issue in play and to be a foundation to assist SSU establish themselves should be considered strongly because I would think (and again I'm an outsider) that when any one HBCU can grow and improve and not fail that's a benefit to all.

Why does everyone expect HBCU Conferences to be rest havens for schools that can't/won't compete? You so-called conservatives are always harping on about "pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps", but when it comes to some poorly organized school with a so-so administration and a history of bad administrative mis-deeds, you want us to go save them and play Welfare Department with them. Forget that. Y'all want SSU, take 'em. They do not belong in the MEAC. Period, point blank, end of story.

Big Dawg
February 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Why does everyone expect HBCU Conferences to be rest havens for schools that can't/won't compete? You so-called conservatives are always harping on about "pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps", but when it comes to some poorly organized school with a so-so administration and a history of bad administrative mis-deeds, you want us to go save them and play Welfare Department with them. Forget that. Y'all want SSU, take 'em. They do not belong in the MEAC. Period, point blank, end of story.

The MEAC ain't exactly the picture of greatness right now, ya feel me. If anything that would help the Florida schools with travel. Most of the schools in the MEAC are above North Carolina.

As long as we don't lose our playoff bid and opt for a conference championship game, I'm good.

Pitbull
February 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM

Bethune-Cookman
Florida A&M
North Carolina A&T
Savannah State
South Carolina State
Winston-Salem State

Delaware State
Hampton
Howard
Morgan State
Norfolk State
North Carolina Central

If /when we go to diviosnal playI would love to see us use the following format:

5 division games
3 Conference games
2 SoCon/Big South Games (3 games in a 12 game season)
1 D-1A Opponent

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
February 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Last night they won their 14th basketball game of the season, the most in memory, but they beat Carson Bible College, which I for one have never heard of before.

It was Carver Bible College, undergraduate enrollment 47. (Really.)

http://school.familyeducation.com/edu/colleges/158874/

Eaglesrus
February 27th, 2009, 09:49 PM
It was Carver Bible College, undergraduate enrollment 47. (Really.)

http://school.familyeducation.com/edu/colleges/158874/

OHHH.......still never heard of them, and I guess that at least partially explains why :)

R.A.
February 28th, 2009, 07:19 AM
The MEAC's a completely different situation than the CAA, as anyone who follows D-I sports understands.

With respect to FB, simply increasing the number of teams who participate in the MEAC won't improve their chances of landing more or even any at large playoff bids. They'll be subject to the same strength of schedule criteria applied to the SoCon, CAA, etc. and will be competing with those conferences for the same at-large bids.

More out of conference opportunities, equals to stronger schedules.

More legit out of conference wins, equals to stronger conference ratings.

Stronger conference ratings, equals to more at- large bids into the playoffs.

More at- large bids into the playoffs, equals to the MEAC having more chances at winning the NCAA Football Championship.

R.A.
February 28th, 2009, 07:30 AM
sc state is probably in my top 5 away games every in conway. best band hands down xrotatehx

is/can be a hell of a rivalry

I'd love to see SCSU establish a rivalry with preferably Furman, Wofford, or The Citadel. But with the way the Bulldogs played Appy State so closely in the playoffs, those SoCon schools might stay away from SCSU in the future... I love Coastal's anytime anywhere philosophy.

R.A.
February 28th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Look, WSSU's gonna stick.

NCCU and SSU are going to be admitted.

FAMU and the 100 are going to sell out Memorial Stadium in Savannah, while also cutting their travel costs... and that'll be it.

Now, if I get what I want, A&T will be in the North division to maintain their "rivalry xlolx " with Howard, South Carolina State will be the school in the south division that Howard plays every season regardless, the MEAC will maintain our automatic bid into the NCAA playoffs, and right before playoff selection Sunday- the MEAC will hold a conference title game between the champ of the north and the champ from the south to determine who gains the MEAC's automatic bid.

...also, the SWAC will get its stuff together so that the top MEAC team not to make the playoffs, can meet the SWAC Champion in the revived Heritage Bowl during the Christmas break.

11 regular season games + 1 conference title game = 12 game season

5 MEAC Division Games
3 MEAC Cross Division Games (1 Cross Division rivalry games to be played every season regardless)
3 Out of conference games

1 Conference Title game

*Post Season
-NCAA Playoff Automatic & At- large Bids
-Heritage Bowl for the Highest ranked MEAC team NOT to make the playoffs.

813Jag
February 28th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Look, WSSU's gonna stick.

NCCU and SSU are going to be admitted.

FAMU and the 100 are going to sell out Memorial Stadium in Savannah, while also cutting their travel costs... and that'll be it.

Now, if I get what I want, A&T will be in the North division to maintain their "rivalry xlolx " with Howard, South Carolina State will be the school in the south division that Howard plays every season regardless, the MEAC will maintain our automatic bid into the NCAA playoffs, and right before playoff selection Sunday- the MEAC will hold a conference title game between the champ of the north and the champ from the south to determine who gains the MEAC's automatic bid.

...also, the SWAC will get it's stuff together so that the top MEAC team not to make the playoffs, can meet the SWAC Champion in the revived Heritage Bowl during the Christmas break.
Gotta disagree, that needs to stay dead. What were the attendance numbers for the previous Heritage Bowls?

R.A.
February 28th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Gotta disagree, that needs to stay dead. What were the attendance numbers for the previous Heritage Bowls?

30,000 for a FCS bowl game is good. Just change the format and make it more entertaining.

813Jag
February 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
30,000 for a FCS bowl game is good. Just change the format and make it more entertaining.
What can be done that hasn't already been done with that game?

R.A.
February 28th, 2009, 04:39 PM
What can be done that hasn't already been done with that game?

Bring in the Bands, make it a combo ticket... one set price.

DSUrocks07
February 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Bring in the Bands, make it a combo ticket... one set price.

Or make it a true HERITAGE bowl. A whole weekend of activities. Black America's annual Classic/Homecoming game. That is the only way that this idea works.

NoCoDanny
February 28th, 2009, 10:11 PM

What is the MEAC's misson thought? You didn't answer you just went on a rant.

catdaddy2402
March 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM
What is the MEAC's misson thought? You didn't answer you just went on a rant.

While a quick search didn't produce an official mission statement I did find this.

Its major objective was to establish, organize and supervise an intercollegiate athletic program among a compact group of educational institutions of high academic standards and with a sound philosophy of co-curricular activities.

So you can question the admission of SSU on that.

Sly Fox
March 2nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hey gophoenix, I assume your divisions were meant as a blast our way. How'd that last game work out for yar?

xsmiley_wix

NoCoDanny
March 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
While a quick search didn't produce an official mission statement I did find this.

I would agree, I'd think SSU would not get in based on that.

slycat
March 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
I think it would help SSU in the long run. They need a conference support to get their stuff together.

DSUrocks07
March 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM

But if that were the case. The Big South, SoCon, MEAC, hell even the CAA (they took Georgia State) would be tripping over themselves trying to bring SSU into their respective folds.

I agree with slycat, SSU needs conference affiliation to survive at the FCS level. With the backing of a full conference membership for all sports, they could possibly thrive as well. They're starting to get things turned around down in Savannah. IMO, getting accepted as a provisional member of the MEAC will only expedite the process.

Eaglesrus
March 3rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
I was glad to see that SSU beat NCCU 69 - 65 last night to finish the season at 15 - 14, first winning record in basketball since 1986. Again, I think this is an indication of improvement in their athletic program though I think that the overall level of their competition this year was questionable (well, there was Georgetown, but that was the expected blowout).

DSUrocks07
March 3rd, 2009, 08:42 AM
I was glad to see that SSU beat NCCU 69 - 65 last night to finish the season at 15 - 14, first winning record in basketball since 1986. Again, I think this is an indication of improvement in their athletic program though I think that the overall level of their competition this year was questionable (well, there was Georgetown, but that was the expected blowout).

Its a long way from 0-27. xnodx And if they can get their fanbase excited about their athletic programs again, it will make it alot easier. Winning cures all ills. xthumbsupx The MEAC needs to start focusing on building a winning history with their schools. Morgan State is on the verge of a 20-win regular season if they can beat Coppin. Sometimes its better to get 20+ wins (basketball) with a low RPI, than get 12-15 wins with a mid-range RPI, because at the end of the day...you either have a winning season or you didn't.

HIU 93
March 3rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
The MEAC ain't exactly the picture of greatness right now...

That being said- why do we need to bring in more problems before we solve theproblems we already have?

HIU 93
March 3rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
I think it would help SSU in the long run. They need a conference support to get their stuff together.

Then y'all take them. Tell me how it works out.

slycat
March 3rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Then y'all take them. Tell me how it works out.

No thanks. I understand why y'all wouldn't them. They are a mess from top to bottom. But I really think a conference will help them get back on track quicker. It'll just take a conference willing help them through the rough spot and I don;t see that happening.

On second thought they can have Texas States place the Bobcats move to FBS.

blukeys
March 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
But if that were the case. The Big South, SoCon, MEAC, hell even the CAA (they took Georgia State) would be tripping over themselves trying to bring SSU into their respective folds.

I agree with slycat, SSU needs conference affiliation to survive at the FCS level. With the backing of a full conference membership for all sports, they could possibly thrive as well. They're starting to get things turned around down in Savannah. IMO, getting accepted as a provisional member of the MEAC will only expedite the process.

You are not quite up to date on your facts. The CAA took Georgia State long before there was any interest at GSU for football (just like Old Dominion). Georgia State has had success at basketball and were a very good fit for the basketball schools and the conference as a whole. Once a school becomes an all sports member of the CAA such as Georgia State, then they are subsequently given priority in allowance for other sports that the conference sponsors. In this case football.

I can think of no instance where SSU would be considered for membership in the CAA.

There is no ongoing sports relationship with any CAA School. They offer nothing of prominence in any sport. Good luck to the MEAC for this basket case.

HIU 93
March 4th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Good luck to the MEAC for this basket case.

We are not taking them. They are still without a home, and they should not be allowed in our conference.

Monarch History
March 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Interesting article in today's Virginian-Pilot by Vicki Friedman, the beat writer for Norfolk State FB, regarding Savannah State and NC Central's bid to join the MEAC.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/03/meac-expansion-could-bring-2-divisions-football-title-game

WestCoastAggie
March 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Commissioner Dennis Thomas is a fool if he wants to forgo the FCS Playoffs for a damn Heritage Bowl type game in December.

BearsCountry
March 4th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Basically it seems to me that athletic directors/coaches like to talk a big game about scheduling but they would rather it be done for them quick and easy. I know competion wise it would suck to add Savannah State but it seems like its almost a done deal among the athletic adminstrators.