PDA

View Full Version : This Certainly SUCKS...

Cobblestone
February 21st, 2009, 06:22 PM
University of Rhode Island football coach Darren Rizzi is resigning to become special teams coach of the Miami Dolphins. His resignation is effective on Tuesday.

Rizzi is meeting with his players at 7 p.m. Saturday. Director of Athletics Thorr Bjorn said Saturday that he was surprised.

"Certainly you now when you hire a good aggressive coach, he’ll have an opportunity to move on," Bjorn said.

Rizzi will work under head coach Tony Sparano, who was the head coach at the University of New Haven when Rizzi was a young assistant.

Rizzi came to URI in a little more than a year ago after a successful stint as an assistant coach at Rutgers. He was an All-American tight end at URI in the early 1990’s and his return generated enormous excitement among URI fans. He coached only the 2008 season and compiled a record of 3-9.

Bjorn said he will begin a search immediately to find Rizzi’s successor. He hopes to have a new coach in place for the start of spring practice at the end of march or the beginning of April.

Despite Rizzi’s departure after only one season, Bjorn remains enthusiastic about the future of URI football.

"What we’re trying to do is build a program and the program is bigger than a player or a coach and building a program can take two or three years," Bjorn said.

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/projo_20090221_uri_football_rizzi.3b8db42c.html

Sometimes I think our program is cursed. After all, we do have a Native American cemetary next to our stadium.

xnonono2x

GoBlueHens83
February 21st, 2009, 06:28 PM
That sucks, he really seemed like he was going to lead your program in the right direction. That's a major loss for URI.

Jackman
February 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
My condolences. Is something else going on behind the scenes at Rhodie, or was this just an ambitious coach who got an offer he wasn't expecting? Odd timing considering that he just signed up his recruiting class, then bailed.

mainejeff
February 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM
Wow........with looming budget cuts, you have wonder what is going on here.

Vermont just cut their baseball and softball programs.

danefan
February 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Ouch.

dgreco
February 21st, 2009, 07:32 PM
I am really disappointed by that, I liked Rizzi and what he did for URI, to leave after 1 year to be a special teams coach for the dolphins hurts. If he stayed 3 or 4 years he might of had a good team, but another new coach, it is going to hurt getting kids to come to URI.

crunifan
February 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM

UNI is about to cut its baseball program as well.

mainejeff
February 21st, 2009, 07:44 PM
UNI is about to cut its baseball program as well.

Ouch......it's gonna be a bad stretch for collegiate athletics I'm afraid.

WMTribe90
February 21st, 2009, 07:51 PM
That is a shame, if nothing else he proved he could recruit pretty well. Feel for the players, especially the true freshman and Rutgers transfers he just brought into the program. I understand taking an opportunity to move up, but ethically should a coach stay for a minimum duration (maybe two years) once he takes on a HC position?

Eight Legger
February 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Will the Rutgers transfers be allowed to transfer to the Miami Dolphins now?

Monarch History
February 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Boy did that take everyone by surprise? xeekx Like several have already alluded, something doesn't sound right. I was excited for RI football but this can't help. I'm sure more will come out in the days ahead.

SOCAL
February 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM
I can see Rizzi sitting in a prospective players living room and in closing

"I came back to my alma mater to restore the football program and I will be here at RI to see that happen..."

not good

Ram Ball
February 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'm sure more will come out in the days ahead.

Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino are proud of him. What else is there to say?

He promises to build a championship program and bolts a year later.

I'm DISGUSTED..

eaglewraith
February 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
GSU sympathizes with your pain.

At least the douchebag didn't destroy your program before he left, although it's not like he did it any favors on the way out. :(

dgreco
February 21st, 2009, 09:12 PM
GSU sympathizes with your pain.

At least the douchebag didn't destroy your program before he left, although it's not like he did it any favors on the way out. :(

the latestness of the move is what hurts. I am sure he didn't interview last week and could of made the move easier for URI. Maybe URI knew a month ago and started searching, but it is so late and that really hurts the program.

W. DeMontague
February 21st, 2009, 09:22 PM
My guess....$$$$$$. Sole reason.

He wants more financial security and the NFL is more alluring. Maybe he had aspirations to make it to the NFL as an assistant someday and was willing to work his way up after some years but when his old coach Sparano contacted him, it was too good to pass up.

Seawolf97
February 21st, 2009, 10:34 PM
This is rough for the Rams. I guess it was major money that drew him to the NFL. Hope nothing else is going on behind the scenes at URI.

BDKJMU
February 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM
http://www.projo.com/uri/content/projo_20090221_uri_football_rizzi.3b8db42c.html

Sometimes I think our program is cursed. After all, we do have a Native American cemetary next to our stadium.

xnonono2x

You mean American Indian? After all, probably 99% of us on this board are "native Americans". xpeacex

BDKJMU
February 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM

No football AND no baseball xeekx Football AND baseball just not very big in Vermont? Thats 2 of the 3 marquee sports (football/basketball/baseball unless you count hockey, but thats mostly a northern sport). Out of over 300 Div I schools how many have no football AND no baseball other than BU and now Vermont. Considering:
-about 75-80% (about 240) have football
-most of the football schools also have baseball (well, apparently one of the exceptions will soon be UNI).
-most of the rest (non football) have baseball.

Seawolf97
February 21st, 2009, 11:00 PM

Is Vermont ending their program this season ? Or are they going to play in 2009
and then end their program? That would shrink America East teams to 7 since Boston Univ. does not have a team.

dgreco
February 21st, 2009, 11:26 PM
No football AND no baseball xeekx Football AND baseball just not very big in Vermont? Thats 2 of the 3 marquee sports (football/basketball/baseball unless you count hockey, but thats mostly a northern sport). Out of over 300 Div I schools how many have no football AND no baseball other than BU and now Vermont. Considering:
-most of the football schools also have baseball (well, apparently one of the exceptions will soon be UNI).

There are 348 Division Schools.

Schools that do not have Football and Baseball are (ps. this could be a little outdated, I haven't updated the excel in almost 2 years):

American University
Boston University
Denver
DePaul
Detroit-Mercy
Drexel
IUPUI
Loyola (IL)
Loyola (MD)
Marquette
Missouri-Kansas City
Providence College
Saint Francis (NY)
Vermont
Wisconsin-Green Bay

colorless raider
February 21st, 2009, 11:39 PM
Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino are proud of him. What else is there to say?

He promises to build a championship program and bolts a year later.

I'm DISGUSTED..

I don't blame you. How about the recrutis and the coaching staff. Now that really sucks.

BDKJMU
February 22nd, 2009, 12:22 AM
There are 348 Division Schools.

Schools that do not have Football and Baseball are (ps. this could be a little outdated, I haven't updated the excel in almost 2 years):

American University
Boston University
Denver
DePaul
Detroit-Mercy
Drexel
IUPUI
Loyola (IL)
Loyola (MD)
Marquette
Missouri-Kansas City
Providence College
Saint Francis (NY)
Vermont
Wisconsin-Green Bay

About 15 out of 348 (Wiki says 347) would be about 4%. Even more than I thought. When I said over 300 Div I schools I was thinking there were around 310-320. I seem to remember that being the # about the time graduated over a decade ago, and in the upper 200s when I was in HS in the late 80s/early 90s. Damn the # keeps increasing! I see the NCAA lists 343 for Div I basketball. That would mean there is a handful of Div I without basketball. Thought every Div I team had basketball. Guess not.

Ok, sorry for thread hijack.

JMG1MON
February 22nd, 2009, 12:55 AM
Bad news for Rhode Island. Rizzi had you guys on track to become a real good program. Hopefullly new coach will continue to build upon Rizzi's job from last season!!!

Cobblestone
February 22nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful postings guys.

I don't know the specifics of this since it just came out last night. MaineJeff does make a valid point about budget cuts and the state of RI, especially URI, has had a bunch of them. I'm sure some of that played into Rizzi's decision.

Bottom line (I think) was money. Rizzi has 5 kids and they are all young and close in age. The URI job pays approx $150,000/year. It's hard to support 5 kids in a state like RI on that kind of money. I'm sure as Special Teams coach for the Dolphins he'll be pulling in about $500,000. One thing for sure is that he'll double his salary. When the NFL comes knocking you really cannot say no. I think any state school FCS football program is in trouble these days. I don't think the NFL will ever have any financial difficulties. I know Rizzi does have a great love for URI but that love for his alma mater won't provide for his 5 kids. I'm sorry to see him go but at the same time, if it were me in that situation I'd have done the exact same thing.

I'll soon be making suggestions to Thorr for a replacement. My feeling is URI needs to find a young D-II coach who has been a success at the level and is looking to move up.

Best wishes to Darren Rizzi.

Jackman
February 22nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
No football AND no baseball xeekx Football AND baseball just not very big in Vermont? Thats 2 of the 3 marquee sports (football/basketball/baseball unless you count hockey, but thats mostly a northern sport).
The North is different. Vermont essentially has hockey instead of football and men's lacrosse instead of baseball. UMass has all four, but baseball is by far our most poorly attended sport. And by poorly attended, I mean baseball gets half the attendance of our most poorly attended women's sport. We're talking two-digit numbers at times. A single lacrosse game can have a larger crowd than our baseball team's entire 18 game home schedule combined. I don't know if UMass is expecting to have to cut any sports, but if we do, I wouldn't be surprised to see baseball go up on the block. Up here we have the Red Sox and a silly number of minor league teams. Nobody cares about college baseball except at a couple places that have traditionally had strong programs. Boston University used to give baseball scholarships to hockey players when they were over the limit for hockey scholarships. Baseball just hasn't taken seriously at many places up here.

dgreco
February 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
The North is different. Vermont essentially has hockey instead of football and men's lacrosse instead of baseball. UMass has all four, but baseball is by far our most poorly attended sport. And by poorly attended, I mean baseball gets half the attendance of our most poorly attended women's sport. We're talking two-digit numbers at times. A single lacrosse game can have a larger crowd than our baseball team's entire 18 game home schedule combined. I don't know if UMass is expecting to have to cut any sports, but if we do, I wouldn't be surprised to see baseball go up on the block. Up here we have the Red Sox and a silly number of minor league teams. Nobody cares about college baseball except at a couple places that have traditionally had strong programs. Boston University used to give baseball scholarships to hockey players when they were over the limit for hockey scholarships. Baseball just hasn't taken seriously at many places up here.
Late start plays a role in this. Being down in Florida for the last year both Softball and Baseball has already started and they play throughout the winter. Up north they may not start til march and it won't be at home.

I think New England is a pro-sports town and college teams will never be supported like pro-sports.

I think after Football, Basketball it is Hockey/Lacrosse though. You are right, and I think people love Lacrosse. Hockey is built in, but Lacrosse is probably the most attended and hyped spring sport.

dgreco
February 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful postings guys.

I don't know the specifics of this since it just came out last night. MaineJeff does make a valid point about budget cuts and the state of RI, especially URI, has had a bunch of them. I'm sure some of that played into Rizzi's decision.

Bottom line (I think) was money. Rizzi has 5 kids and they are all young and close in age. The URI job pays approx $150,000/year. It's hard to support 5 kids in a state like RI on that kind of money. I'm sure as Special Teams coach for the Dolphins he'll be pulling in about $500,000. One thing for sure is that he'll double his salary. When the NFL comes knocking you really cannot say no. I think any state school FCS football program is in trouble these days. I don't think the NFL will ever have any financial difficulties. I know Rizzi does have a great love for URI but that love for his alma mater won't provide for his 5 kids. I'm sorry to see him go but at the same time, if it were me in that situation I'd have done the exact same thing.

I'll soon be making suggestions to Thorr for a replacement. My feeling is URI needs to find a young D-II coach who has been a success at the level and is looking to move up.

Best wishes to Darren Rizzi.

Maybe they will finally go after Talley at Stonehill, I was hoping they picked him last year. I can understand the reason behind Rizzi, so maybe this is the chance to snag Talley.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Wow...third coach in three years. I feel your pain. xsmhx

UNHFan99
February 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
The timing is bad, but its better now than before recruiting was over. Does anyone know how many recruits Umass lost late in recruiting? Plus they just went through it and probably know there top candidates already. Still too bad though.

dgreco
February 22nd, 2009, 08:41 AM
so "late" into the season I think really makes Talley the front runner. It will be much easier to pull a DII guy away than a DI guy right now I think. I also think it will have the least amount of impact on the team losing out on their coach.

Uncle Buck
February 22nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
Wow, I just saw the thread. Like everyone else, i'm sorry to see you guy's lose him. It really seemed like even in year 1 he was making strides. Tough call when you have a family to support and URI is in no way able to match the NFL compensation.

Just a tough loss and so out of left field.

aceinthehole
February 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
so "late" into the season I think really makes Talley the front runner. It will be much easier to pull a DII guy away than a DI guy right now I think. I also think it will have the least amount of impact on the team losing out on their coach.

Exactly.

Another candidate for URI might be the HC at Southern Connecticut State.

TheValleyRaider
February 22nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
Might URI want to promote from within at this point? Presumably just Rizzi is leaving, which means all the assistants are still there. Keep one of them keep some continuity in the program, perhaps

ccd494
February 22nd, 2009, 01:56 PM

I'd argue that college hockey for the northern schools is bigger than college baseball for the southern schools.

And the NCAA really only has itself to blame for northern schools cutting baseball. Earlier start dates + no more true regionals = no chance to compete. There was a time Maine was a baseball power- 7 college world series appearances including a 3rd place in the 80's. When they ended the regionalization and the season started in February, gone were the home games against the Miamis and Clemsons.

jmufan999
February 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
your AD's name is Thorr Bjorn?