PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Mill: DSU vs UD on Sept. 19th???

DSUrocks07
February 21st, 2009, 07:36 AM
A look at the GoHens.net site shows that UD's game with Furman has been replaced by DSU. It could possibly been comfused with a hoops matchup between the two schools, however I would think that an established fansite such as GoHens wouldn't make such a brazen psuedo-announcement without having facts to back them up. xwhistlex

AGS Delaware and Furman posters, any word on the status of your game on that date?

th0m
February 21st, 2009, 07:44 AM
A look at the GoHens.net site shows that UD's game with Furman has been replaced by DSU. It could possibly been comfused with a hoops matchup between the two schools, however I would think that an established fansite such as GoHens wouldn't make such a brazen psuedo-announcement without having facts to back them up.

AGS Delaware and Furman posters, any word on the status of your game on that date?

Really? xlolx

Tribe4SF
February 21st, 2009, 08:23 AM
The Furman @ Delaware game has been cancelled. Furman will play at Missouri instead. The sources at GoHens reporting the DSU matchup are pretty reliable. They say an official announcement is coming Monday.

DSUrocks07
February 21st, 2009, 08:54 AM
I could live with this despite DSU would have six road games this season. A UD-DSU matchup could be looked on as somewhat of a "home game".

GannonFan
February 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM
I could live with this despite DSU would have six road games this season. A UD-DSU matchup could be looked on as somewhat of a "home game".

Well, distance-wise, sure. But when it a 10:1 fan ratio, at best, a "home" game environment?

WestCoastAggie
February 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
If indeed true, The MEAC has backed into a stronger OOC schedule then expected but it doesn't matter the MEAC goes 0-whatever in those games.

UNHWildCats
February 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM
a 5 to 6 h/a ratio isnt bad.... Every other year UNH does that and the other years its 6 to 5.

danefan
February 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM
If indeed true, The MEAC has backed into a stronger OOC schedule then expected but it doesn't matter the MEAC goes 0-whatever in those games.

Huh?

The MEAC's noteable OOC games:

FAMU @ Miami
Norfolk St. @ W&M
Morgan St. @ Towson
SC St. @ South Carolina
Winston Salem @ UC Davis

Not really that strong. Three tough games Miami, SC, W&M.

Tribe4SF
February 21st, 2009, 10:03 AM
Huh?

The MEAC's noteable OOC games:

FAMU @ Miami
Norfolk St. @ W&M
Morgan St. @ Towson
SC St. @ South Carolina
Winston Salem @ UC Davis

Not really that strong. Three tough games Miami, SC, W&M.

You forgot...

Delaware State @ Michigan
NC A&T @ Coastal Carolina

They only get two OOCs each, so with Delaware added this doesn't look so bad. FAMU also playing Tennessee State.

danefan
February 21st, 2009, 10:06 AM
You forgot...

Delaware State @ Michigan
NC A&T @ Coastal Carolina

They only get two OOCs each, so with Delaware added this doesn't look so bad. FAMU also playing Tennessee State.

Yup - my apologies about Del State.

And NC A&T at Coastal isn't a noteable OOC, IMO.
Coastal is on a downward spiral.

Its not bad - its just not the "strong" OOC they are claiming. I'm more responding because there are some that think the MEAC OOC is strong enough to warrant an at-large next year. I would disagree unless they win one of the FBS games.

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Congrats on the strong OOC for the MEAC! Go get that second bid, AGAIN!

93henfan
February 21st, 2009, 10:14 AM
This is certainly not an ideal matchup for DelState, but after the "anytime, anywhere" comments from the school in regard to playing UD, they almost can't turn down UD without looking like blowhards.

Tribe4SF
February 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
Yup - my apologies about Del State.

And NC A&T at Coastal isn't a noteable OOC, IMO.
Coastal is on a downward spiral.

Its not bad - its just not the "strong" OOC they are claiming. I'm more responding because there are some that think the MEAC OOC is strong enough to warrant an at-large next year. I would disagree unless they win one of the FBS games.

If FAMU beats Tenn. St. and finsishes second to SC State with one conference loss, they will have a shot.

henfan
February 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM
This is certainly not an ideal matchup for DelState, but after the "anytime, anywhere" comments from the school in regard to playing UD, they almost can't turn down UD without looking like blowhards.

After dealing with the excuses for avoiding DSU that our AD has doled out over the years, the last thing we UD fans should be suggesting of DSU is that they are concerned with looking like blowhards. With Michigan also on their '09 schedule, it's' doubtful DSU is overly concerned about waiting for the "ideal matchup" with UD.

danefan
February 21st, 2009, 11:40 AM
If FAMU beats Tenn. St. and finsishes second to SC State with one conference loss, they will have a shot.

I don't know man. They'd then be relying on weak MEAC wins and one OVC win to sell an at-large to the committee. Especially considering that Tenn. St. doesn't have a stellar OOC schedule itself with all SWAC games.

That resume will be up against a CAA or Socon team that more likely than not will have multiple top 25 wins in conference play.

There are a ton of variables, of course, but I just don't see it happening, even if FAMU ends up 9-2 with loses at Miami and SC State.

Ivytalk
February 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM
If it happens, it will be a good thing. Maybe it will be a closer game this time than the '07 playoff matchup.

Tribe4SF
February 21st, 2009, 11:45 AM
I don't know man. They'd then be relying on weak MEAC wins and one OVC win to sell an at-large to the committee. Especially considering that Tenn. St. doesn't have a stellar OOC schedule itself with all SWAC games.

That resume will be up against a CAA or Socon team that more likely than not will have multiple top 25 wins in conference play.

There are a ton of variables, of course, but I just don't see it happening, even if FAMU ends up 9-2 with loses at Miami and SC State.

Like I said, they'll have a shot. If things play out like last year, they'd get in over a four-loss Maine team.

Big Dawg
February 21st, 2009, 02:11 PM

It's just too much to think about right now.

89Hen
February 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM
Go get that second bid, AGAIN!
Why? xsmhx

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 02:44 PM
Why? xsmhxBecause it would be good for them. xnodx No need to smack them on the discussion board. xsmhx

Ud1Hens
February 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM
I would hardly call it smack...it is fact. If the MEAC gets an at-large then that's one less for every other team with at-large hopes. It would be like CAA fans saying..."Get that 5th bid, AGAIN." Every school outside of the CAA would not want that because it would be 1 less at large bid available. No smack, just how it is.

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 04:04 PM
I would hardly call it smack...it is fact. If the MEAC gets an at-large then that's one less for every other team with at-large hopes. It would be like CAA fans saying..."Get that 5th bid, AGAIN." Every school outside of the CAA would not want that because it would be 1 less at large bid available. No smack, just how it is.Oh, I get ya. If they get a second bid then the CAA has one less chance. Gotcha. xthumbsupx

I keep forgetting that I am a fan of all the FCS teams and want them to do well, unlike many others.

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Well, I mean, considering how well the MEAC has performed in the playoffs and all....why not?

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Well, I mean, considering how well the MEAC has performed in the playoffs and all....why not?Teams in the current MEAC:
National Championship - 1978
Semifinalists - 1981, 99
Quarterfinalists - 1982, 98, 99 (2 teams)

Ud1Hens
February 21st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Oh, I get ya. If they get a second bid then the CAA has one less chance. Gotcha. xthumbsupx

I keep forgetting that I am a fan of all the FCS teams and want them to do well, unlike many others.

I used the CAA as an example. The same could be said about every conference in the FCS. I want every FCS team to win against every FBS team. Once in the playoffs, it is usual that you want the teams in your conference to perform well...validating your conference's at-large selection and hopefully allowing more for the future. Don't downplay my respect for the FCS because I want my University to have a better shot at a title. Many put their team first, then their conference, then the FCS as a whole.

T-Dog
February 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM
DSU could pull off an App St. Beating the winged helmet twice in one year. :D

apaladin
February 21st, 2009, 06:27 PM
Teams in the current MEAC:
Semifinalists - 1981, 99

You prove the point, it's been 10 years without any wins. That 1978 championship doesn't hold much water either as there was only about 20 teams if that in 1-AA. For example the SoCon wasn't re-classified 1-AA until 1982.

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2009, 07:09 PM
You prove the point, it's been 10 years without any wins. That 1978 championship doesn't hold much water either as there was only about 20 teams if that in 1-AA. For example the SoCon wasn't re-classified 1-AA until 1982.

I was about to say. The SoCon did that over the last two years.

GannonFan
February 21st, 2009, 08:54 PM
Teams in the current MEAC:
Semifinalists - 1981, 99

Agreed - what an awful example - that's pretty much straight up data saying that the MEAC hasn't been good for a decade. I thought we were against smack on the discussion board???? xlolx

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM
Agreed - what an awful example - that's pretty much straight up data saying that the MEAC hasn't been good for a decade. I thought we were against smack on the discussion board???? xlolxGF on the warpath today! The point was to give the actual MEAC playoff success data. That is not smack, that is fact. Just the same as the fact we are nine years removed from the MEAC having multiple bids that both won first round games.

I apologize to all UD fans like GF and 89 for wanting the MEAC to be successful in the playoffs. xwhistlex
...Don't downplay my respect for the FCS because I want my University to have a better shot at a title. Many put their team first, then their conference, then the FCS as a whole.Understood. No disrespect, I just have a diffeerent POV.

GannonFan
February 21st, 2009, 10:18 PM
GF on the warpath today! The point was to give the actual MEAC playoff success data. That is not smack, that is fact. Just the same as the fact we are nine years removed from the MEAC having multiple bids that both won first round games.

I apologize to all UD fans like GF and 89 for wanting the MEAC to be successful in the playoffs. xwhistlexUnderstood. No disrespect, I just have a diffeerent POV.

Come on, S/E, no sense just making stuff up. I don't care if the MEAC does well or doesn't do well - it matters nothing to me. I'll accept your apology now for making the assumption that I think otherwise, and for talking smack to the UD fansbase - there's another section of this board for that. Tsk tsk. :p

But, a cold, passion-less observer can look at that data and see that the MEAC hasn't won a playoff game since 1999, and is 0-9 since then. That is fact (assuming I didn't miss another loss in there - just a quick check). In any book, that's not too good, and wanting them to do well, or not wanting them to do well, or not caring if they did well, doesn't change that. Just the facts, right??

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 10:20 PM
I'll accept your apology now for making the assumption that I think otherwise, and for talking smack to the UD fansbaseI did neither so why should I further apologize for wanting the MEAC to do well? xeyebrowx Maybe you'll apologize for saying my posting of fact is smack and making it up that I was smacking "the UD fansbase." WTH was that?

GannonFan
February 21st, 2009, 10:25 PM
I did neither so why should I further apologize for wanting the MEAC to do well? xeyebrowx Maybe you'll apologize for saying my posting of fact is smack. ?

It's okay, for you, that's almost as good as an apology. I'll accept your apology for assuming that I'm offended, and many UD fans as well, that you want all the teams in FCS to be successful. Can't hide from post #30 in the thread. ;)

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 11:17 PM
... I'll accept your apology for assuming that I'm offendedNever said you were offended. Continue making stuff up and not apologizing for the divisiveness. Everyone here knows how the subject of DSU playing UD gets you and 89 all riled up. xnodx xlolx xrolleyesx

93henfan
February 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Resistance is futile GF. Big Brother wins, or he spins.

Syntax Error
February 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Resistance is futile GF. Big Brother wins, or he spins.
Yep, gonna have to quit dodging DSU. ;)

bluehenbillk
February 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
If the Hens-Hornets game happens it's a good thing for UD, we play at home and get an easier W than the FU game.

2nd MEAC team in the playoffs? Let's be honest, if there weren't autobids how many years would one MEAC team merit a bid as one of the 16 best? Argue all you want but you can't spin a decade of post-season futility.

Syntax Error
February 22nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Argue all you want but you can't spin a decade of post-season futility.Can you spin less than a decade? xlolx We'll see if they make it a decade this year and no harm in wishing them well. It'd be a good thing if DSU plays UD for the simple reason that the only D-I teams in the state SHOULD play. xthumbsupx

nwFL Griz
February 22nd, 2009, 03:35 PM
Honestly, as regards to playoffs, who cares how the conference has done historically? Each year, the 16 best teams from that year should be in. Does that always happen? No, because of autobids. But, it is not out of the question that two of the best 16 teams could come out of the MEAC.

R.A.
February 22nd, 2009, 06:34 PM

Yep.

Potential 2009 resume
FAMU

9-2 (7-1 MEAC)

Losses: UMiami, South Carolina State

Wins: Tenn State, Bethune Cookman

Previous Season2008: 9-3

-FAMU would be a more interesting selection than a 5th CAA school, but as the MEAC has learned once before with 2004's and 2005's South Carolina State teams, we can have a team go nine wins two years in a row, and still have them not gain an at- large bid into the playoffs.

YoUDeeMan
February 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM

Poor logic....again.

If you are a fan of all FCS teams and want them to do well, then why not root for 6 CAA teams to be in the playoffs? Why not 6 or 7 SoCon teams? How about the entire Big Fluffy? xeyebrowx

After all, all of those teams would also be FCS teams. xnodx

xwhistlex

Syntax Error
February 22nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Poor logic....again. If you are a fan of all FCS teams and want them to do well, then why not root for 6 CAA teams to be in the playoffs? Why not 6 or 7 SoCon teams? How about the entire Big Fluffy? After all, all of those teams would also be FCS teams.Wanting the MEAC to do well and try for a second bid is not mutually exclusive of wanting all other conferences to do well too and get bids. BTW, there is no conference in Division I football called the "Big Fluffy" unless you're smacking again on the discussion board... again. xrolleyesx xsmhx

GannonFan
February 22nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Yep.

Potential 2009 resume
FAMU

9-2 (7-1 MEAC)

Losses: UMiami, South Carolina State

Wins: Tenn State, Bethune Cookman

Previous Season2008: 9-3

-FAMU would be a more interesting selection than a 5th CAA school, but as the MEAC has learned once before with 2004's and 2005's South Carolina State teams, we can have a team go nine wins two years in a row, and still have them not gain an at- large bid into the playoffs.

Those SC St teams were missing any significant wins - they played Tenn St in '04 and Alabama St in '05 as their only OOC games of note, and neither of those teams were very good in the years they played. If the MEAC had been making a lot of noise in the playoffs the years before and had great OOC wins, especially in those years, then a good argument could have been made. But they hadn't, and SC St was an odd team out twice. Heck, in '04 the Patriot League got an at large team along with their auto - probably helped a little having Colgate get to the Finals the year before that.

FAMU at 9-2 with the resume you put forward will still be a question mark and they would have to hope for a favorable breakdown nationally or a very good year out of Tennessee St to make that OOC win look good. The nine game mandate in the MEAC, and then playing a money BCS game, means there's only one OOC game of note to judge FAMU with.

Syntax Error
February 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
...in '04 the Patriot League got an at large team along with their auto - probably helped a little having Colgate get to the Finals the year before that...and likewise, '03 was the last year the MEAC got an at-large team in and it probably didn't help SCSU that both teams lost in the first round and there was an outcry at the selections.

89Hen
February 23rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
I'm a fan of I-AA football. A second bid for a conference that hasn't won a single playoff game in 10 yeas is not good for I-AA football IMO.

89Hen
February 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
I apologize to all UD fans like GF and 89 for wanting the MEAC to be successful in the playoffs. xwhistlexUnderstood. No disrespect, I just have a diffeerent POV.
How does a second bid make them more successful in the playoffs? If anything, based on the last 10 years, it will make their record worse.

bluehenbillk
February 23rd, 2009, 09:09 AM
I'm a fan of I-AA football. A second bid for a conference that hasn't won a single playoff game in 10 yeas is not good for I-AA football IMO.

Agreed, rep points for you.

OhioHen
February 23rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
But, it is not out of the question that two of the best 16 teams could come out of the MEAC.

Just as it is not out of the question that all 16 COULD be from just the CAA, SoCon, MVFC and Big Sky.

Can't quote a year that this would be the case, but it COULD happen in the absence of autobids.

nwFL Griz
February 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Just as it is not out of the question that all 16 COULD be from just the CAA, SoCon, MVFC and Big Sky.

Can't quote a year that this would be the case, but it COULD happen in the absence of autobids.

Agreed, could happen. I believe that would be boring. Personally, I find the tournament much more compelling when the bids are spread out amongst the conferences.

YoUDeeMan
February 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Agreed, could happen. I believe that would be boring. Personally, I find the tournament much more compelling when the bids are spread out amongst the conferences.

Compelling....? Yeah, there is no reason to actually try to select the best teams to compete for a championship. Instead, let's invite some other teams for the sake of conference diversity.

Would you find the tournament much more "compelling" if the Big Sky representive was not the Griz...even if they were a deserving team, so that we could actually spread out the invitations amongst the other teams in your conference?

Sorry, Griz....we want a look at another team. We've seen you already. Other teams would be more...compelling. xoopsx

ChickenMan
February 23rd, 2009, 01:24 PM
I understand that many non-CAA fans would prefer to see other FCS leagues better represented in the playoffs.. but do we really want to reward medicority in the name of 'diversity'??? The FACT is that conferences like MEAC and the Ohio Valley just have NOT been competitive over the past 10 seasons when it comes to playoff performance. The last win.. by either league.. came way back in 1999 when a MEAC team (NC A&T) beat.. guess who.. an OV team (Tenn St). Since then the two leagues have gone 0-23 xeekx in their playoff appearences. Twice ('06 &'07) durning that stretch the OV has gotten a second bid and once ('03) the MEAC got two teams. Rather than debate the merits of a second school from either of those leagues receiving a bid.. the more appropriate question seems to be.. do either of these conference still deserve an automatic qualifer???

89Hen
February 23rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
The FACT is that conferences like MEAC and the Ohio Valley just have NOT been competitive over the past 10 seasons when it comes to playoff performance. The last win..
The drought speaks for itself, but they have been competitive in quite a few games. xpeacex

bluehenbillk
February 23rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
I understand that many non-CAA fans would prefer to see other FCS leagues better represented in the playoffs.. but do we really want to reward medicority in the name of 'diversity'??? The FACT is that conferences like MEAC and the Ohio Valley just have NOT been competitive over the past 10 seasons when it comes to playoff performance. The last win.. by either league.. came way back in 1999 when a MEAC team (NC A&T) beat.. guess who.. an OV team (Tenn St). Since then the two leagues have gone 0-23 xeekx in their playoff appearences. Twice ('06 &'07) durning that stretch the OV has gotten a second bid and once ('03) the MEAC got two teams. Rather than debate the merits of a second school from either of those leagues receiving a bid.. the more appropriate question seems to be.. do either of these conference still deserve an automatic qualifer???

BINGO!!!!!!!xthumbsupx

ChickenMan
February 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
The drought speaks for itself, but they have been competitive in quite a few games. xpeacex

Only in a few... only 6 times in those 23 games were their loses by a TD or less.. the average margin of defeat for all 23 games is... over 22 points per game... xoopsx

bluehenbillk
February 23rd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Back on topic...Official Announcement for UD-DSU game is tomorrow, as reported in the Wilmington N-J and as gohens.net has had for a few days.

93henfan
February 23rd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Back on topic...Official Announcement for UD-DSU game is tomorrow, as reported in the Wilmington N-J and as gohens.net has had for a few days.

The link: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090223/SPORTS/90223030

nwFL Griz
February 23rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
Compelling....? Yeah, there is no reason to actually try to select the best teams to compete for a championship. Instead, let's invite some other teams for the sake of conference diversity.

Would you find the tournament much more "compelling" if the Big Sky representive was not the Griz...even if they were a deserving team, so that we could actually spread out the invitations amongst the other teams in your conference?

Sorry, Griz....we want a look at another team. We've seen you already. Other teams would be more...compelling. xoopsx

Wow, nice leap in logic there Cluck.

My point is, that there are so few inter conference games, that if the tournament were loaded with teams from just a couple of conferences, we would never truly know who is the best....in other words we become more like the BCS.

And nowhere in my statement did I say that teams should be invited just for the sake of diversity.

89Hen
February 23rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Only in a few... only 6 times in those 23 games were their loses by a TD or less.. the average margin of defeat for all 23 games is... over 22 points per game... xoopsx
> 25% of the time is more than a few to me and certainly more than "NOT". xsmiley_wix xpeacex

89Hen
February 23rd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Hopefully a night game so I can be there. Loved seeing the Hornettes strut onto the field inciting the crowd only to go down in flames. I take back everything bad I said about FU. Maybe a Mastercard commercial in the works...

Road Game in Greenville = $100,000
Backing out for Missouri = $350,000
Giving the Hens another chance to crush the Hornets on a beautiful Newark day = priceless

DSUrocks07
February 23rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
How does a second bid make them more successful in the playoffs? If anything, based on the last 10 years, it will make their record worse.

Its a shame that we need to have one of our schools win an FCS title or two, otherwise were just a "waste of an autobid" xnonono2x

Its a no win situation...we're at the point to where any team that someone in our conference beats or gets close to beating "had a bad game", or "played down to our level", or "had the refs in there pocket" xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

Oh well, looks like I can pull for DSU to spring the upset and have all these Hens make with the excuses...those three above would work fine, but I'm sure that they can come up with some doozies xlolxxpeacex

GannonFan
February 23rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Its a shame that we need to have one of our schools win an FCS title or two, otherwise were just a "waste of an autobid" xnonono2x

Its a no win situation...we're at the point to where any team that someone in our conference beats or gets close to beating "had a bad game", or "played down to our level", or "had the refs in there pocket" xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

Oh well, looks like I can pull for DSU to spring the upset and have all these Hens make with the excuses...those three above would work fine, but I'm sure that they can come up with some doozies xlolxxpeacex

Come on, that's just nonsense. Colgate went out, beat 3 good teams on the way to the finals in '03, and the Patriot enjoyed a little extra respect for that year and the couple of years afterwards as they got some at larges into the playoffs. It was only after a bunch of OOC and playoff failures that that respect fell away. Same can and has happened with the MEAC - they had a good run there in the late 90's and early '00's, especially with some good FAMU teams, but that respect has fallen by the wayside with declining fortunes in OOC games and an "0"-fer in he playoffs since '99. Respect is earned, and earned often through wins. DSU's last 3 games against the CAA has seen an 0-3 record with a combined losing margin of 160-14.

Henwatcher
February 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hopefully a night game so I can be there. Loved seeing the Hornettes strut onto the field inciting the crowd only to go down in flames. I take back everything bad I said about FU. Maybe a Mastercard commercial in the works...

Road Game in Greenville = $100,000
Backing out for Missouri = $350,000
Giving the Hens another chance to crush the Hornets on a beautiful Newark day = priceless

89, I don't see it being a night game. I've already been told that because of the tough economic situation we are in, there will be only one night game in 2009 and that will be the game with West Chester on Friday night Sept. 5.

Ivytalk
February 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
89, I don't see it being a night game. I've already been told that because of the tough economic situation we are in, there will be only one night game in 2009 and that will be the game with West Chester on Friday night Sept. 5.

Wouldn't want to break with tradition!xrolleyesxxcoffeex

YoUDeeMan
February 23rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
Wow, nice leap in logic there Cluck.

My point is, that there are so few inter conference games, that if the tournament were loaded with teams from just a couple of conferences, we would never truly know who is the best....in other words we become more like the BCS.

And nowhere in my statement did I say that teams should be invited just for the sake of diversity.

I did not say that you said that teams should be invited, "just for the sake of diversity".

Let's review:

You responded:

Micrisoft Word's synonyms for "diversity": variety, multiplicity, assortment, range, mixture, array.

I'd venture that "spread out amongst the conferences" qualifies as a "diverse" field of conference participants. xthumbsupx

You said you'd find that "compelling". And you said you'd find a playoff with the 16 teams selected from only a few conferences "boring" - despite the fact that they may be the best 16 teams.

So, good football, regardless of the teams, is "boring". No, wait, good football is boring because of the teams. You need diversity for excitement. xnodx

Thanks for clearing that up. xwhistlex

Syntax Error
February 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Once again for the record.

It has been the last NINE YEARS (NOT TEN) the MEAC has not had a playoff victory. They did not have a victory in the 2000, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, and 08 tourneys. In 1999 they had two teams in the tournament. Both won their opening round games and one (FAMU) lost by 3 points in the semis.

It has been the last EIGHT YEARS (NOT TEN) the OVC has not had a playoff victory. They did not have a victory in the 2001, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, and 08 tourneys. In 2000 they had two teams in the tournament. One (WKU) won their opening round game and then lost by 3 points in the quarters.

DSUrocks07
February 23rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Come on, that's just nonsense. Colgate went out, beat 3 good teams on the way to the finals in '03, and the Patriot enjoyed a little extra respect for that year and the couple of years afterwards as they got some at larges into the playoffs. It was only after a bunch of OOC and playoff failures that that respect fell away. Same can and has happened with the MEAC - they had a good run there in the late 90's and early '00's, especially with some good FAMU teams, but that respect has fallen by the wayside with declining fortunes in OOC games and an "0"-fer in he playoffs since '99. Respect is earned, and earned often through wins. DSU's last 3 games against the CAA has seen an 0-3 record with a combined losing margin of 160-14.

xbawlingx GF is coming with the PAIN! xlolx

UMass in 2004 - (51-0)
No.1 ranked JMU in 2005 (65-7)
National Finalist Delaware in 2007 (44-7)

Yeah I know all about our historical ineptitude. (Some of the posters here insist on reminding all of us.) However, to assume that any school out there can just show up and mop the floor with DSU or any other MEAC foe is asinine. Yeah its happened before, but come kickoff the score will be 0-0.

Ud1Hens
February 23rd, 2009, 10:32 PM

If I am not mistaken I believe JMU wasn't #1 at the time because they were coming off a bad loss to Coastal Carolina. I am pretty sure they didn't even make the playoffs that year.

Either way, it won't matter come 9/19.

DSUrocks07
February 24th, 2009, 06:18 AM
If I am not mistaken I believe JMU wasn't #1 at the time because they were coming off a bad loss to Coastal Carolina. I am pretty sure they didn't even make the playoffs that year.

My mistake. I do believe that they were highly ranked at the time...and didn't they win a NC the year prior? There was a lot of talk about that game around campus when it was announced.

bluehenbillk
February 24th, 2009, 06:50 AM

Yep, UD took the foot off the gas pedal last time at halftime & won by 40. Pat Devlin didn't come to UD to only play the 1st half......

OhioHen
February 24th, 2009, 07:02 AM

It has been the last NINE YEARS (NOT TEN) the MEAC has not had a playoff victory. They did not have a victory in the 2000, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, and 08 tourneys. In 1999 they had two teams in the tournament. Both won their opening round games and one (FAMU) lost by 3 points in the semis.

It has been the last EIGHT YEARS (NOT TEN) the OVC has not had a playoff victory. They did not have a victory in the 2001, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, and 08 tourneys. In 2000 they had two teams in the tournament. One (WKU) won their opening round game and then lost by 3 points in the quarters.

xrulesx Be it Resolved: Everyone will henceforth cease using the term "decade" when referring to how long it's been since the MEAC and OVC won playoff games.

Be it further Resolved: Syntax Error will publicly acknowledge that, semantics aside, it has been a LONG TIME since those leagues have shown sufficient prowess on the field of play to warrant ANY discussion of potentially receiving multiple bids to the playoffs. xrulesx

I suspect neither of these resolutions will become reality, but the first is much more likely to do so.

Ud1Hens
February 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM
My mistake. I do believe that they were highly ranked at the time...and didn't they win a NC the year prior? There was a lot of talk about that game around campus when it was announced.

Yeah they won it in '04

93henfan
February 24th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Here are today's articles about the series in The News Journal:

GAME ON (http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090224/SPORTS/902240338&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL)

Rivalry Game Roundly Applauded (http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090224/SPORTS/902240342)

Henwatcher
February 24th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Wouldn't want to break with tradition!xrolleyesxxcoffeex

Actually, they are sort of breaking with tradition. They are playing WC on Friday night Sept. 4, not Sept. 5 as I had said, so that people can still get away late Friday night for their Labor Day weekend activities.

89Hen
February 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM
That's a pretty big leap there rocks. Where did I say anything about your auto? It's also quite a stretch to imply that only a national championship would lend some credibility to the MEAC. How about just winning a first round game? xnonox

89Hen
February 24th, 2009, 07:54 AM
xconfusedx The cost of running the lights??? xconfusedx Surely you're either joking or been misinformed. Night games sell-out and are cooler for the players. If they don't have night games in September because of economics then UD should fire all their econ professors. xnutsx

89Hen
February 24th, 2009, 07:57 AM

It has been the last NINE YEARS (NOT TEN) the MEAC has not had a playoff victory....

It has been the last EIGHT YEARS (NOT TEN) the OVC has not had a playoff victory.... (WKU) won their opening round game and then lost by 3 points in the quarters.
For the record, nine or ten does nay matter much, does it? And WKU is no longer in the OVC so the teams currently in the OVC haven't had a win since 1998 Murray? xcoffeex

89Hen
February 24th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Actually, they are sort of breaking with tradition. They are playing WC on Friday night Sept. 4, not Sept. 5 as I had said, so that people can still get away late Friday night for their Labor Day weekend activities.
FWIW the last time the Hens opened at home on Labor Day weekend they played Thursday night (W&M) a few years ago. It makes sense to not have it on Saturday. xpeacex

89Hen
February 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Rivalry Game Roundly Applauded
"Rivalry"? xeyebrowx

bluehenbillk
February 24th, 2009, 08:08 AM
xconfusedx The cost of running the lights??? xconfusedx Surely you're either joking or been misinformed. Night games sell-out and are cooler for the players. If they don't have night games in September because of economics then UD should fire all their econ professors. xnutsx

I agree, I'd think the electric cost of having lights for a night game would be far less than the revenue that can be brought in by extra ticket sales, parking, concessions, etc.

93henfan
February 24th, 2009, 09:30 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090224/SPORTS/90224017

UD-DSU football game dates announced
The News Journal • February 24, 2009

Officials from the University of Delaware and Delaware State University confirmed today that the schools' football teams will meet this season as well as in 2012, 2013 and 2014.

The teams, who have never faced one another in a regular-season game, will play Sept. 19, 2009, Sept. 8, 2012, Sept. 7, 2013 and Sept. 6, 2014. All of those dates are Saturdays. Game times have not been announced.

93henfan
February 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM
And another article. It's a big day at The News Journal sports desk:

Levine: UD Finally Plays the Right Cards (http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090224/SPORTS/902240343)

If you're a college football fan and you've spent at least 10 minutes in the state of Delaware at some point in your life, there is a good chance you have heard all the reasons UD should not regularly play DSU in football...

bluehenbillk
February 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I think UD fans would be more excited if we knew that WCUPA would be dropped from the schedule.

Syntax Error
February 24th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Be it Resolved: Everyone will henceforth cease using the term "decade" when referring to...... 8 or 9 years when the length of a decade is 10 years. xlolx

LacesOut
February 24th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Nice job getting this done by both sides!

Now DSU, please please bring your A game with you!!!!!!

blukeys
February 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM
... 8 or 9 years when the length of a decade is 10 years. xlolx

For the sake of uniformity, let us all agree that both the MEAC and the OVC have yet to win a playoff game in the 21st century. This is Something all the other autobid conferences have accomplished. (Some purists maintain that the 21st Century began in 2001 whereas most assume that it began in 2000. Both conferences qualify regardlesss of which standard is used.)

89Hen
February 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Now DSU, please please bring A game with you!!!!!!
Pretty harsh there LO.

Henwatcher
February 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM
No 89, I am not kidding nor am I misinformed.

Pitz
February 24th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Here's to the growth of the DuPont Donnybook!

(No? The Battle for Small Wonder?)

89Hen
February 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
No 89, I am not kidding nor am I misinformed.
"because of the tough economic situation we are in, there will be only one night game in 2009"

I need further explaination. What does the economy have to do with night games at UD? xconfusedx

93henfan
February 24th, 2009, 03:29 PM
http://www.bluehens.com/images/ts_images/football/fb09-uddsupressconfgroup-home.jpg

DSUrocks07
February 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hopefully this will lead to more people following the Hornets through the regular season.

93henfan
February 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Hopefully this will lead to more people following the Hornets through the regular season.

As you alluded to in another post, I think this should at the very least motivate DelState to improve their stadium. To have to play in the other guy's house all the time is going to get old for you.

DSUrocks07
February 24th, 2009, 03:59 PM
First things first, we need to drum up support in the local community. Whether through ticket promotions or a local tv deal. We need to get the people excited about Delaware State football. And with our Alumni base in Wilmington and Philadelphia, you just might see a lot more red in the stand this time around. I for one will definitely be there.

GannonFan
February 24th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Unfortunately, that may just depend on the outcome - if all 4 of these games end up like the '07 one, that may be tough to draw excitement out of.

cougarpines
February 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Thought I read the DSU allotment is 2,200 tickets the same as any other visitor

BDKJMU
February 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Yeah, I saw JMU host DSU in 05'. Was a 65-7 laugher. And JMU finished 7-4 that season & was the only time in the last 5 seasons they didn't make the playoffs.

cougarpines
February 24th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Just rewatched the 07 match-up. That game could have been easily 60 or 70 zip if UD didn't take a knee early in the third

DSUrocks07
February 24th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Thats not including game-day tickets sold. Those are just tickets reserved for the University to sell directly.

BDKJMU
February 24th, 2009, 04:32 PM
xbawlingx GF is coming with the PAIN! xlolx

UMass in 2004 - (51-0)
National Finalist Delaware in 2007 (44-7)

Yeah I know all about our historical ineptitude. (Some of the posters here insist on reminding all of us.) However, to assume that any school out there can just show up and mop the floor with DSU or any other MEAC foe is asinine. Yeah its happened before, but come kickoff the score will be 0-0.

Correct, JMU wasn't #1. I think they were around #5. JMU was #1 the week before, losing @ Coastal 31-27 on a Tyler Thigpen (07' 7th round pick, Chiefs) TD pass to Jerome Simpson (08' 2nd round draft pick, Bengals) with 30 seconds to play. Right before this phenominal Simpson catch a JMU db dropped a sure int right in his hands:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B85po3KBdY

JMU came out the next week & throttled DSU 65-7. JMU went on to go 7-4, all losses by 3-6 points. Was the only time in the last 5 seasons JMU didn't make playoffs.

89Hen
February 24th, 2009, 04:33 PM
xconfusedx AFAIK nobody gets 2200 for The Tub. Maybe that's the max they are allowed to ask for, but I'm not sure anyone has ever gotten more than 500 or so. The playoff game had more visiting fans by 4x than I've ever seen, but most of those probably just bought through Ticketmaster. UD only (I say only like it's not much) sells about 11,000 season tickets. Add in 2,000 students and there are a lot of single game tickets available at the start of the season.

I honestly don't expect any more DSU fans this year than were there for the playoff game.

BDKJMU
February 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Won't that conflict with HS ballgames? I know that is a no no south of the Mason Dixon line.

93henfan
February 24th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I honestly don't expect any more DSU fans this year than were there for the playoff game.

I dunno. I think it'll be more because the weather should be better and it's early in the season, so no one will be out of the playoffs. A UD/DSU game in, say, early November last year would have been a dreadful game to watch with no implications whatsoever.

DSUrocks07
February 24th, 2009, 05:02 PM
xconfusedx AFAIK nobody gets 2200 for The Tub. Maybe that's the max they are allowed to ask for, but I'm not sure anyone has ever gotten more than 500 or so. The playoff game had more visiting fans by 4x than I've ever seen, but most of those probably just bought through Ticketmaster. UD only (I say only like it's not much) sells about 11,000 season tickets. Add in 2,000 students and there are a lot of single game tickets available at the start of the season.

Thats what I mean.

89Hen
February 24th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I dunno. I think it'll be more because the weather should be better and it's early in the season, so no one will be out of the playoffs.
The weather was fine, they were both IN the playoffs, it was the first time they ever met, it was actually getting some national press from ESPN, and there were still thoughts of DSU actually winning the game.

GannonFan
February 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Won't that conflict with HS ballgames? I know that is a no no south of the Mason Dixon line.

There are no HS football games that early this year in Delaware - the HS football season starts the following week.

BDKJMU
February 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
There are no HS football games that early this year in Delaware - the HS football season starts the following week.

Then Fri night sounds like a good idea as long as Fri night you could get just as good of a crowd for West Chester as you could on Sat night.

GannonFan
February 24th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Then Fri night sounds like a good idea as long as Fri night you could get just as good of a crowd for West Chester as you could on Sat night.

The game is going to sell out regardless - regardless of opponent or the day of the week (well, Wednesday may not sell out). Oddly, West Chester has been one of the highest attended games going back years now.

danefan
February 24th, 2009, 09:37 PM
The game is going to sell out regardless - regardless of opponent or the day of the week (well, Wednesday may not sell out). Oddly, West Chester has been one of the highest attended games going back years now.

Likely because its the beginning of the year - everyone wants to see that year's QB right? Once they see him they decide if they'll come back for another game. xsmiley_wixxlolx

GannonFan
February 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Likely because its the beginning of the year - everyone wants to see that year's QB right? Once they see him they decide if they'll come back for another game. xsmiley_wixxlolx

Well, we all saw Schoenhoft last year and people still kept coming in droves. Must have been that illusory good game against Albany that fooled everyone?? xwhistlex

danefan
February 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Well, we all saw Schoenhoft last year and people still kept coming in droves. Must have been that illusory good game against Albany that fooled everyone?? xwhistlex

We like to do what we can to keep the revenue up at Delaware.
I'm not going to say we were asked to throw the game to keep people in the stands by running the same play 10 plays in a row, but..........

xsmiley_wixxlolx

89Hen
February 25th, 2009, 09:45 AM
On Labor Day weekend, Friday works much better than Saturday. xnodx

bluehenbillk
February 25th, 2009, 10:46 AM
We like to do what we can to keep the revenue up at Delaware.
I'm not going to say we were asked to throw the game to keep people in the stands by running the same play 10 plays in a row, but..........

xsmiley_wixxlolx

Danefan if I was an Albany fan I would've been pissed at your OC unless that was really what your offense was last year. They just tried consitently to run between the tackles against UD with your RB and they got consistent results, maybe a yard and a half per carry or so. Just seemed strange they thought they might wear UD down.

danefan
February 25th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Danefan if I was an Albany fan I would've been pissed at your OC unless that was really what your offense was last year. They just tried consitently to run between the tackles against UD with your RB and they got consistent results, maybe a yard and a half per carry or so. Just seemed strange they thought they might wear UD down.

We had a 29 year-old first-time OC last year. It was very apparent the first few games of the season - and especially in that game.

There was a series where we ran the exact same run play 10 times in a row. The problem was - it worked. It was a long sustained drive that culminated in a TD. That was a problem because it gave them false confidence that it could be done again. There was no adjustment after that and after 5 weeks on the road, the lack of depth was very apparent in the 2nd half.

That was not the way UA played the rest of the season. It wasn't even the way they played against UMass, Hofstra and UNH. It was a very odd gameplan.

And Coach Ford said so himself - worst half of football played and coached all year.

GannonFan
February 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM
We had a 29 year-old first-time OC last year. It was very apparent the first few games of the season - and especially in that game.

There was a series where we ran the exact same run play 10 times in a row. The problem was - it worked. It was a long sustained drive that culminated in a TD. That was a problem because it gave them false confidence that it could be done again. There was no adjustment after that and after 5 weeks on the road, the lack of depth was very apparent in the 2nd half.

That was not the way UA played the rest of the season. It wasn't even the way they played against UMass, Hofstra and UNH. It was a very odd gameplan.

And Coach Ford said so himself - worst half of football played and coached all year.

Frankly, I didn't think Albany had a much different game plan when they beat UD in '06 - difference was UD didn't have a defense that year and this past year they did. Albany pushed UD around that year and didn't really have to do anything fancy on offense.

danefan
February 25th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Frankly, I didn't think Albany had a much different game plan when they beat UD in '06 - difference was UD didn't have a defense that year and this past year they did. Albany pushed UD around that year and didn't really have to do anything fancy on offense.

Perhaps that was the problem. They tried to follow the same gameplan as 2006 and didn't make the proper adjustments when it wasn't working.

I absolutely think that had Albany played like they did against UMass and UNH the game would have been a much different story - at the very least more entertaining to watch. They closed up into a shell and ground the game away.

But hey, its much easier for us on the message board 7 months later than being in the booth.

cougarpines
February 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Your not getting paid to be in the boothxsmiley_wix

danefan
February 25th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Your not getting paid to be in the boothxsmiley_wix

Exactly! The view is much different from up there. xnodx