PDA

View Full Version : SWAC - MEAC CHALLENGE CONFIRMED!

mikebigg
February 20th, 2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.thederisoreport.com/

Confirmed: Grambling to play in MEAC-SWAC Challenge
by Nick Deriso February 20, 2009, 6:28 pm (CT)
ESPN is preparing a 9 a.m. Monday announcement on the season-opening MEAC-SWAC Challenge, where Grambling will be confirmed as the 2009 representative from the Southwestern Athletic Conference. South Carolina State will represent the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

GATA
February 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM

ESPN is preparing a 9 a.m. Monday announcement on the season-opening MEAC-SWAC Challenge, where Grambling will be confirmed as the 2009 representative from the Southwestern Athletic Conference. South Carolina State will represent the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

I'm pretty sure Grambling is going to get ROCKED in this matchup. SCSU is very good. I was pleasantly surprised by their showing in the playoffs last year.

PantherRob82
February 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM
SC State by 20+

bigchocolate
February 20th, 2009, 09:35 PM
This will be a tight hard fought game. Don't sleep on Grambling!

mikebigg
February 20th, 2009, 11:44 PM

xwhistlex

blackcaesar3k5
February 21st, 2009, 03:11 AM
Grambling State by three points...

Pitbull
February 21st, 2009, 06:33 AM
This will be a great match-up and I'll leave it at that...

mikebigg
February 21st, 2009, 07:17 AM
This will be a great match-up and I'll leave it at that...

I agree Pitbull... not gonna let the disparaging remarks from folks who have NEVER even seen Grambling play, influence any negative comments from me toward Coach Pough and the SCState program.

Hoping this matchup will get us back across the field from each other again real soon... I used to love the matchups against yall back in the day. Both during the time of Coach Jeffries and also Coach Bill (?) Davis.

DSUrocks07
February 21st, 2009, 07:23 AM
As it should be almost every year.

MEAC Champ vs SWAC Champ.

At least give the game some notoriety in the media outlets.

blueballs
February 21st, 2009, 07:52 AM
Wouldn't it be great if it was more than just the one matchup and they could work something out where there were several games a year between the two conferences?

On a side note I really don't know why SCSU and GSU isn't an annual game. Two playoff eligible schools, 80 miles apart, with good fan bases and usually good teams. This game would put 20K+ in Paulson for sure and I would imagine be one of the highest- if not the highest- attended games in Orangeburg too.

DSUrocks07
February 21st, 2009, 07:58 AM
Wouldn't it be great if it was more than just the one matchup and they could work something out where there were several games a year between the two conferences?

On a side note I really don't know why SCSU and GSU isn't an annual game. Two playoff eligible schools, 80 miles apart, with good fan bases and usually good teams. This game would put 20K+ in Paulson for sure and I would imagine be one of the highest- if not the highest- attended games in Orangeburg too.

Or even all on the same weekend...xthumbsupx

mikebigg
February 21st, 2009, 07:59 AM
It's been too long since we've played our friends from the MEAC... I remember when Gram used to open our season in New York vs Morgan State in the Whitney Young Classic before
crowds of 60k plus. Once our leagues expanded, we got away from playing some of our old
rivals. Not sure if we ever played Del State...maybe once or twice.

Time to reacquaint our students with those rivalries with some home and home matchups... I know we all want big neutral site paydays, but I think we owe it to the kids to have some of these matchups as home and home games.

I commented on TSPN that the two leagues should both clear their schedule to have the second game of the season as league wide SWAC-MEAC matchups. Alternate the home games between the two leagues. Pair them based on league finish this season for a two year arrangement and then pair them the next two years based on the 2011 league finishes.

mikebigg
February 21st, 2009, 08:04 AM

Just as I think it's good that Grambling and Northwestern played last year and will play again next year. Northwestern might be the geographically closest school to Grambling (maybe Alcorn is closer, but I don't think so). Not sure how close we are to Conway, Ark (Isn't that where UCA is located?), but that's also a possible future opponent.. especially possibly as a neutral site (Shreveport) opponent.

813Jag
February 21st, 2009, 08:42 AM
Is the MEAC going to play nine games every year? What's going on with Winston Salem?

DSUrocks07
February 21st, 2009, 08:53 AM
Is the MEAC going to play nine games every year? What's going on with Winston Salem?

I sure hope not. I think that the time is coming for the MEAC to consider a divisional split along the lines of the SWAC minus the SCG. Then you would have both the MEAC and SWAC be 10-team leagues and would make scheduling a MEAC-SWAC Challenge weekend easier.

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM
I agree Pitbull... not gonna let the disparaging remarks from folks who have NEVER even seen Grambling play, influence any negative comments from me toward Coach Pough and the SCState program.

mikebigg - you got to realize that most people have seen Grambling play. There's a thing called the Bayou Classic and we also get to watch plenty of SWAC games on ESPNU. Both are excellent chances to watch Grambling and a reminder for all about the quality of officiating in the league.

813Jag
February 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
mikebigg - you got to realize that most people have seen Grambling play. There's a thing called the Bayou Classic and we also get to watch plenty of SWAC games on ESPNU. Both are excellent chances to watch Grambling and a reminder for all about the quality of officiating in the league.
There's a thing called the Bayou Classic? Wow, you sure told him. xlolx

How many people on this site do you actually think watch that game or any other SWAC game. Or are you doing like you always do, which is think you're speaking for the majority, when 99.9 percent of the people here could give a damn about you. Besides I didn't think you'd have time in your busy schedule to concern yourself with our shoddy play, poor scheduling, and poor officiating.

WestCoastAggie
February 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM

Winston-Salem will still be considered Independent and will not be eligible for a championship in the MEAC until 2011. HOWEVER, THEIR ATHLETIC FUNDING IS COMING INTO SERIOUS QUESTION, do not be surprised if they are D2 come 2010.

R.A.
February 21st, 2009, 09:59 AM
If SCSU hammers Grambling, the Bulldogs could go undefeated... and that includes upsetting the Gamecocks.

You heard it from RA first.

mikebigg
February 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM
I don't think there's a team in FCS that can or will hammer Grambling... SC State is a good team. I thought that prior to them playing App State close. What's funny is that some folks only give them props because they played App State close. They were good regardless and just as Grambling can compete and win against anyone in FCS on "Any Given Saturday".

TT, I know full well that we're on the BC... once per year. Given your bias against the SWAC, did you honestly watch that game objectively or did you watch it to see what you could criticize? Don't worry about answering, the question was merely rhetorical.

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM
How many people on this site do you actually think watch that game or any other SWAC game...Obviously you would be surprised that many many FCS fans watch the games. xnodx

813Jag
February 21st, 2009, 10:42 AM
Obviously you would be surprised that many many FCS fans watch the games. xnodx
Actually given the statements that I have read here, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Sometimes I wonder if your SWAC overseer buddy even knows any thing about football. With his "only speak positive about SHSU and negative about any thing else" self.

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 10:55 AM
Actually given the statements that I have read here, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Sometimes I wonder if your SWAC overseer buddy even knows any thing about football. With his "only speak positive about SHSU and negative about any thing else" self.My "SWAC overseer buddy"? Buddy as in fellow AGS member? Overseer as in slavemaster? Does that mean I am one too? Is it a crime to be concerned about football in your states? xeyebrowx

Tribe4SF
February 21st, 2009, 10:57 AM
How many people on this site do you actually think watch that game or any other SWAC game. Or are you doing like you always do, which is think you're speaking for the majority, when 99.9 percent of the people here could give a damn about you. Besides I didn't think you'd have time in your busy schedule to concern yourself with our shoddy play, poor scheduling, and poor officiating.

I watch. After the HU/JSU game last year, I predicted that HU would struggle in the MEAC, which they did. JSU, of course, made the SWAC Championship game. Grambling was clearly the best of the SWAC last year, but they were handled by a middling Northwestern State team.

Grambling will have a shot against SCSU, but I have to think the MEAC will continue its run in the series.

mikebigg
February 21st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Not making excuses...but remember that the NWST game was the third game of the season for an offense that had 9 new starters including a transfer qb that arrived in the Fall and three true freshmen starters (including 2 on the offensive line) plus a redshirt freshman at LT.

We actually didn't come into our own until 3 games later against PV...in fact, we struggled offensively against NAIA Langston. Our team matured down the stretch... actually during the PV game were we went in as the underdog to an undefeated PV team. Greg Dillon came off the bench to become our qb and we ran the table after the NWST game. I give NWST credit for the win...but we were a different team by year's end. But we'll show that this fall.

813Jag
February 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM
My "SWAC overseer buddy"? Buddy as in fellow AGS member? Overseer as in slavemaster? Does that mean I am one too? Is it a crime to be concerned about football in your states? xeyebrowx
overseer as in one who watches over things, said nothing about slavery. Nothing illeagal about being a condesending a$$.

mikebigg
February 21st, 2009, 11:36 AM
smh at syntax... bad assumption on your part.

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 12:14 PM
overseer as in one who watches over things, said nothing about slavery.I know you didn't but that's the only way I ever hear that word used, and I rarely hear that word. Maybe it's different down South. No offense meant. xpeacex

Pitbull
February 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM

Hoping this matchup will get us back across the field from each other again real soon... I used to love the matchups against yall back in the day. Both during the time of Coach Jeffries and also Coach Bill (?) Davis.

We played you all twice in the 80's...We split the 2 games...I got a chance to meet Coach Robinson on the sidelines during a home game ( I was on the band and he was walking off the field at halftime) All I said was hey coach how are you and he replied...I'm doing fine son...how about you... :) And that was my Eddie Robinson moment...

PantherRob82
February 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxcoffeex

PantherRob82
February 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM

Are there really people who have NEVER seen Grambling play? It's not hard to watch at least one Grambling game a year.

Big Dawg
February 21st, 2009, 02:07 PM
If SCSU hammers Grambling, the Bulldogs could go undefeated... and that includes upsetting the Gamecocks.

You heard it from RA first.

BULLCRAP

signed,

Joe Taylor

813Jag
February 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM
We played you all twice in the 80's...We split the 2 games...I got a chance to meet Coach Robinson on the sidelines during a home game ( I was on the band and he was walking off the field at halftime) All I said was hey coach how are you and he replied...I'm doing fine son...how about you... :) And that was my Eddie Robinson moment...
I would mind the Jags playing SCSU either. Haven't played you guys since the mid 90's.

R.A.
February 22nd, 2009, 07:18 PM
BULLCRAP

signed,

Joe Taylor

Dawg, if you lost to them in Tallahassee, what makes you think you're going to beat them in Orangeburg?

Syntax Error
February 22nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
BULLCRAP
signed,
Joe Taylorxlmaox xthumbsupx

nwFL Griz
February 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
ESPN release (http://www.meacswacchallenge.com/press.php)

The question now is, what about Alcorn? Will they cry as much as Delaware did (about Furman cancelling on them)? How will they ever find a replacement this late in the game? <----sarcasm

Big Dawg
February 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
Dawg, if you lost to them in Tallahassee, what makes you think you're going to beat them in Orangeburg?

That argument means NOTHING. This is 2009 and FAMU will be a stronger team this year.

Pitbull
February 23rd, 2009, 11:08 AM
That argument means NOTHING. This is 2009 and FAMU will be a stronger team this year.

Yeah, we have lost a lot...I don't know if we will be able to hang w/ the Mighty Rattlers of FAMU 09' edition.... xwhistlex

Big Dawg
February 23rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah, we have lost a lot...I don't know if we will be able to hang w/ the Mighty Rattlers of FAMU 09' edition.... xwhistlex

See, Pitbull knows the deal...just assume the position in Orangeburg this year. xlolx

HIU 93
March 3rd, 2009, 09:48 AM

On a completely unrelated note- The avatar is on point Que!

jstate83
March 3rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
I'm pretty sure Grambling is going to get ROCKED in this matchup. SCSU is very good. I was pleasantly surprised by their showing in the playoffs last year.

I doubt it very seriously.xlolx
Gram has load's comming back from a very good team.

jstate83
March 3rd, 2009, 09:59 AM

Just got to get in a dig don't you TT.
Like the official's in your league are any better. xlolx

jstate83
March 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
I watch. After the HU/JSU game last year, I predicted that HU would struggle in the MEAC, which they did. JSU, of course, made the SWAC Championship game. Grambling was clearly the best of the SWAC last year, but they were handled by a middling Northwestern State team.

Grambling will have a shot against SCSU, but I have to think the MEAC will continue its run in the series.

Don't judge by our game last year.
These are 2 different teams.

When JSU played hampton last year, we had a new QB, an entirely new BACKFIELD, new O-Line, and a new set of DB's.
Most of these guy's were not 1st teamer's on our 2007 SWAC Championship team.
We lost our 2007 QB, all of our starting RB's, all starting receiver's except 2, Linebackers, and D. Backs.

Gram team don't have that problem of not having guy's comming back.

jstate83
March 3rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
ESPN release (http://www.meacswacchallenge.com/press.php)

The question now is, what about Alcorn? Will they cry as much as Delaware did (about Furman cancelling on them)? How will they ever find a replacement this late in the game? <----sarcasm

Gram need to think about Alcorn for next year.
Alcorn may decide to not play them at all since that game don't count in the standing's and schedule a FBS money game against a Lou. Laf or one of the other FBS Louisana teams they have played in the past.

Could happen. xnodx
They not too happy with this.xsmhx

mikebigg
March 3rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
On a completely unrelated note- The avatar is on point Que!

Roo xnodx

GOODY26
March 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
http://media.hamptonroads.com/cache/files/images/265681.jpg

I got to go with SCSU Bulldogs on this one.

Pitbull
March 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
Roo xnodx

That's pretty live...xnodx

Xi Psi Do or Die - Spring 87...roooooooo