PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Eagle chances vs. Texas St.

GSU Eagle
November 23rd, 2005, 12:40 PM
Count me as another Eagle fan who believes it will be very difficult for the Eagles to win at Texas St. Saturday. Honestly the Eagle team of last year overall was better than this year's version. We blew it last year vs. New Hampshire at home as I really thought we had the team last year to win it all.

This year we are not the same team, especially on defense. This year's defense has given up more big plays that any recent Eagle defense. We have never been a passing dynamo but this year we are less of a passing threat than previous years. We have hit our stride running the ball, but will it be enough?

We certainly have a chance to win but Texas St. is and should be the favorite. Generally I can watch Eagle games and pretty accurately predict if we will win after the 1st quarter. This Saturday probably will be no different. If we can consistently run the ball and move it, we have a shot. If Texas St. show the ability to slow down our running game and force 2nd and 7 or more, then we are in big trouble.

The only way we win this game is if our offense scores at least 30 points. I certainly hope I am wrong but I don't see our defense limiting Texas St. to under 27 or 28.

blackfordpu
November 23rd, 2005, 01:47 PM
I think that this game will be won by a large margin. This game will not be close no matter who wins.

GaSouthern
November 23rd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Quicksand for the loosing team... ive only seen this happen to the eagles once in the last two years... that was away @ Appy state

Umass74
November 23rd, 2005, 02:05 PM
I have to confess that I don't know much about Texas State. I did read their game notes.

Wins over Delta State (DII), Southern Utah and somebody named Oklahoma Panhandle State do not inspire confidence against GSU.

OTOH, A 42-31 loss to Texas A&M looks promising. Can someone who's seen them give an unbiased opinion?

golionsgo
November 23rd, 2005, 02:05 PM
Count me as another Eagle fan who believes it will be very difficult for the Eagles to win at Texas St. Saturday. Honestly the Eagle team of last year overall was better than this year's version. We blew it last year vs. New Hampshire at home as I really thought we had the team last year to win it all.

This year we are not the same team, especially on defense. This year's defense has given up more big plays that any recent Eagle defense. We have never been a passing dynamo but this year we are less of a passing threat than previous years. We have hit our stride running the ball, but will it be enough?

We certainly have a chance to win but Texas St. is and should be the favorite. Generally I can watch Eagle games and pretty accurately predict if we will win after the 1st quarter. This Saturday probably will be no different. If we can consistently run the ball and move it, we have a shot. If Texas St. show the ability to slow down our running game and force 2nd and 7 or more, then we are in big trouble.

The only way we win this game is if our offense scores at least 30 points. I certainly hope I am wrong but I don't see our defense limiting Texas St. to under 27 or 28.

The GSU option attack will be a great equalizer but having seen a tape of their game with McNeese and seeing Texas State in person, I think the Bobcats will score a ton of points and win by a couple of TDs at least. I realize the Eagles are playing much better football now than they were when they played the Cowboys but I just think Texas State has a distinct talent advantage, especially their offense against the GSU defense. And playing in San Marcos is never easy.

Prediction: Texas State 48, GSU 31

bobcatfan06
November 23rd, 2005, 02:06 PM
TSU-36
GSU-34

blueballs
November 23rd, 2005, 02:13 PM
This will be a train wreck of massive proportions. I just can't see the young GSU team from the weak SoCon being able to stay with the Texas State juggarnaut.

Just read Matt Dougherty's column about this game. GSU has a RB with over 5000 career yards and 1399 this season and Matt says he's not even among the two best players on the field. He is BY FAR the best GSU has to offer, one of the top 10 backs in the history of the division, but he won't even be in the top two on the field Saturday. They won't have to worry about the young 160 lb. QB either, he didn't even get mention for all conference.

It really is a bad choice by ESPN to show this game. By the time they hit the first commercial and it is 35-0 in favor of Texas State TV sets all across the country will beturned off in favor of a trip to the mall.

I just hope our team has either the guts or stupidity just to show up Saturday. I for one am scared to death of this tremendous team from Texas who probably won't even give up a score to our little bunch of South Georgia boys.

Y'all try not to hurt us too bad, okay? Pretty please... and we promise we'll never try to play against such a great team with such great players again.

bobcatfan06
November 23rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
This will be a train wreck of massive proportions. I just can't see the young GSU team from the weak SoCon being able to stay with the Texas State juggarnaut.

Just read Matt Dougherty's column about this game. GSU has a RB with over 5000 career yards and 1399 this season and Matt says he's not even among the two best players on the field. He is BY FAR the best GSU has to offer, one of the top 10 backs in the history of the division, but he won't even be in the top two on the field Saturday. They won't have to worry about the young 160 lb. QB either, he didn't even get mention for all conference.

It really is a bad choice by ESPN to show this game. By the time they hit the first commercial and it is 35-0 in favor of Texas State TV sets all across the country will beturned off in favor of a trip to the mall.

I just hope our team has either the guts or stupidity just to show up Saturday. I for one am scared to death of this tremendous team from Texas who probably won't even give up a score to our little bunch of South Georgia boys.

Y'all try not to hurt us too bad, okay? Pretty please... and we promise we'll never try to play against such a great team with such great players again.

Wow, way to be a smartass. :spank:

GSU Eagle
November 23rd, 2005, 02:33 PM
Even though I not overly confident about the Eagles's chances I will say I do not expect a blowout. I will be very, very surprised if Texas St. wins by more than 2 touchdowns. As I have said earlier this game goes 1 of 2 ways:

Either
GSU moves the ball up and down the field with the running game and probably wins the game is a shootout-- something like 38-35.

Or
Texas St. forces GSU into a lot of 2nd and 3rd and longs and GSU has trouble controlling the ball. If this happens Texas St. will slowly but surely pull away and win by somewhere between 10-14 in something like a 31-21 score.

This game will swing on GSU's offense vs. Texas St.'s defense.

I just can't share some of our other Eagles fans opinion that GSU will beat Texas St. by 2 or 3 touchdowns.

As I said in an earlier post usually after the 1st quarter one can accurately predict if GSU will win.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 23rd, 2005, 02:52 PM
When we have playoff games on the road, a plague of pessimism always spreads quickly throughout the eagle nation. The last time we had a road playoff game (not including the NC, which is something of a home game for us) was in 2000 and I remember it was gloom and doom for most of the eagle fans I knew. Yet we gave that good Delaware team all they could handle and beat them by 9. A team I might add that had fans that were certain that we were too "one-dimensional" to come in and win.

I really like our chances - the way our offense is playing, I don't think anyone in the country can slow us down. The catching was bad against Furman (except for the long pass play near the end that gave us the boos of course) but I think it will be better and I think Foster can make key plays in the air.

Eagles: 38
Bobcats: 28

elkmcc
November 23rd, 2005, 06:45 PM
I think GSU fans forget how difficult it is for a novice playoff team to just deal with the normal pressures of the game say nothing about facing the dreaded GSU triple option for the first time. TSU's playoff inexperience combined with GSU's overall speed will get the best of the bobcats. Go GSU beat the bobcats. Jeez that seems to come so natural to me. :)

JohnStOnge
November 23rd, 2005, 06:58 PM
I have to confess that I don't know much about Texas State. I did read their game notes.

Wins over Delta State (DII), Southern Utah and somebody named Oklahoma Panhandle State do not inspire confidence against GSU.

OTOH, A 42-31 loss to Texas A&M looks promising. Can someone who's seen them give an unbiased opinion?

Texas State has a lot of talent but I think they are a little inconsistent. I watched them play Texas A&M on TV and they competed very well on the line of scrimmage when they were on offense. Also, their quarterback is a very impressive athlete. He's tall, he has a very strong arm and can take it the distance running the ball from anywhere on the field.

But, again, he's a little inconsistent. Against Texas A&M he was 26 of 34 for 378 yards, 3 TDs, and 1 Int as the Bobcats rang up 493 total yards. But against Sam Houston he was only 12 of 30 for 118 yards and no TDs (no INTs either).

So the question is what you're going to get from Texas State. They're talented enough that they've been able to beat all the I-AAs except Nicholls State even when they've played poorly. But even against the Colonels they demonstrated that they can suddenly kick it in gear, as they fell behind 26-7 but scored 22 unanswered in the fourth to take the lead before Nicholls tied it then won in overtime.

Nicholls did rush for 375 yards on them using the kind of offense GSU is going to run.

I think this is a really interesting, upredictable matchup and I'm glad it's the game ESPN2 decided to televise.

OL FU
November 23rd, 2005, 07:01 PM
Wow, way to be a smartass. :spank:\

Yeah but as far as smartasses go Bllueballs seems to be one that you would like to have drink with. (oops I dangled another one) :D

JohnStOnge
November 23rd, 2005, 07:09 PM
I think GSU fans forget how difficult it is for a novice playoff team to just deal with the normal pressures of the game say nothing about facing the dreaded GSU triple option for the first time. TSU's playoff inexperience combined with GSU's overall speed will get the best of the bobcats. Go GSU beat the bobcats. Jeez that seems to come so natural to me. :)

I don't think it's likely that GSU will have a team speed advantage on Texas State. I haven't seen GSU play this year but, obviously, I've seen them in the past. And I saw Texas State match up well team-speed wise with Texas A&M. It's a fast I-AA team...including the quarterback. I watched him pop an 81 yard TD run against Stephen F. Austin on TV. You'd have to see it to appreciate it. Lots of angle for the SFA secondary but he was just way too fast for them.

I've watched App State's quarterback on TV too. I think the guy at Texas State is more dangerous. He's bigger, faster (not that the App State guy isn't quick), and has a stronger arm I think. Only question is consistency. If GSU gets the guy that played against Texas A&M, the Eagles will probably lose. He's a very dominant player when he's in that kind of zone and is pretty much unstoppable.

I'm not underestimating GSU's advantage in playoff experience though. Even though the guys on the team now weren't there for all the success I still think that kind of history leads to a certain poise and confidence. I think the fact that it's Texas State's first ever playoff game is a factor.

MAN! I think this is an interesting matchup. Can't wait to watch it.

JohnStOnge
November 23rd, 2005, 07:24 PM

Just read Matt Dougherty's column about this game. GSU has a RB with over 5000 career yards and 1399 this season and Matt says he's not even among the two best players on the field.

Blue, I don't know about whether or not Austin is among the best two but believe me when I tell you it's no insult for someone to say Texas State has the best offensive player that's going to be on the field. That QB Texas State has really is a Vince Young type player. You'll see what I'm talking about. You could stick him in Vince Young's Longhorn uniform and he'd probably pass for him. Especially if he plays like he did against Texas A&M. He's got the same tall, lanky stature, the same kind of athleticism and speed, and the same kind of arm strength.

This guy really is a special, player...kind of on a level like Tracy Ham was for Georgia Southern. Different kind of player but that kind of dominant effect. He can really take over a game if he's on. He is extremely fast. I am not exaggerating. He's also got an extremely strong arm and CAN be very accurate IF he's on. Only thing is, like I said, he's not consistent as a passer. One week he looks like an NFL quarterback then the next he looks terrible. But even when he's off throwing the ball his athleticism changes the whole game. The defense has to rush under control and can NOT let him pull it down and get into the secondary. If he gets into the secondary he's a threat to score from anywhere.

McNeese75
November 23rd, 2005, 07:38 PM
Blue, I don't know about whether or not Austin is among the best two but believe me when I tell you it's no insult for someone to say Texas State has the best offensive player that's going to be on the field. That QB Texas State has really is a Vince Young type player. You'll see what I'm talking about. You could stick him in Vince Young's Longhorn uniform and he'd probably pass for him. Especially if he plays like he did against Texas A&M. He's got the same tall, lanky stature, the same kind of athleticism and speed, and the same kind of arm strength.

This guy really is a special, player...kind of on a level like Tracy Ham was for Georgia Southern. Different kind of player but that kind of dominant effect. He can really take over a game if he's on. He is extremely fast. I am not exaggerating. He's also got an extremely strong arm and CAN be very accurate IF he's on. Only thing is, like I said, he's not consistent as a passer. One week he looks like an NFL quarterback then the next he looks terrible. But even when he's off throwing the ball his athleticism changes the whole game. The defense has to rush under control and can NOT let him pull it down and get into the secondary. If he gets into the secondary he's a threat to score from anywhere.

Sorry John, I can't agree completly here, Nealy is a very nice player but he is NOT a Vince Young. But the Bobcats will be riding his shoulders this weekend and if he stumbles, they will be in trouble, if he plays well, it will be a tough test for the Eagles.

November 23rd, 2005, 07:41 PM
Sorry John, I can't agree completly here, Nealy is a very nice player but he is NOT a Vince Young. But the Bobcats will be riding his shoulders this weekend and if he stumbles, they will be in trouble, if he plays well, it will be a tough test for the Eagles.The Eagles have faced a few nice QBs in the SoCon with varying results...

JohnStOnge
November 23rd, 2005, 07:50 PM
Sorry John, I can't agree completly here, Nealy is a very nice player but he is NOT a Vince Young. But the Bobcats will be riding his shoulders this weekend and if he stumbles, they will be in trouble, if he plays well, it will be a tough test for the Eagles.

LOL! Main thing I was talking about in terms of passing for Vince Young is his stature (tall and lanky) and athleticism. And a lot depends on how he plays. The guy hit 76 percent of his passes and had a 193 QB rating against Texas A&M. He also had a 38 yard TD run. He had 414 yards of total offense.

Did you see the speed he showed on that 81 yard TD run against SFA on TV? Did you see how good the angles some of those guys had on him were? That guy would be a very fast quarterback regardless of which college level he played on.

Maybe part of it is that he was "on" during both of the games I actually got to watch. In the SFA game he hit 67 percent of his passes and finished with a 172 QB rating. For the two games I saw on TV, he was a total of 42 of 58 (72%) for 602 yards with 5 TDs and 1 INT...and he rushed for 187 yards on 20 carries (9.4 per rush) with two rushing TDs. That's pretty good production for two games and, with Texas A&M being one of them, it sure wasn't because of soft competition.

So you can kind of understand that based on when I've seen the guy play he's looked close to unstoppable. I didn't see games like Nicholls State where he went 17 of 41 or Sam Houston where he went 12 of 30.

TXST_CAT
November 23rd, 2005, 08:20 PM
Is this who everyones's talking about???? ;)
Here are some links with video for those who have never seen TXST in action enjoy!

http://www.news8austin.com/content/sports/athlete_of_the_week/?SecID=31&ArID=145883

But what everyone seems to be missing is whether Nealy is on or off our Team knows how to win. So for video on the rest of the team here are some clips courtesy of the TXST paper to highlight the rest of the team. Look under the photo for the links to the video. you will need the free download of latest Quicktime to view.
http://star.txstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=622&Itemid=157

This is a link to the game every one likes to talk about, the A&M game Bobcatfans.com put together a highlight clip for everyone to view.One of my favorite parts is where big Fred cathes McNeil right after the snap, yes he is that fast.Scroll to bottom of page for the clip.
http://www.bobcatfans.com/multimedia.php

TXST_CAT
November 23rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
LOL! Main thing I was talking about in terms of passing for Vince Young is his stature (tall and lanky) and athleticism. And a lot depends on how he plays. The guy hit 76 percent of his passes and had a 193 QB rating against Texas A&M. He also had a 38 yard TD run. He had 414 yards of total offense.

Did you see the speed he showed on that 81 yard TD run against SFA on TV? Did you see how good the angles some of those guys had on him were? That guy would be a very fast quarterback regardless of which college level he played on.

Maybe part of it is that he was "on" during both of the games I actually got to watch. In the SFA game he hit 67 percent of his passes and finished with a 172 QB rating. For the two games I saw on TV, he was a total of 42 of 58 (72%) for 602 yards with 5 TDs and 1 INT...and he rushed for 187 yards on 20 carries (9.4 per rush) with two rushing TDs. That's pretty good production for two games and, with Texas A&M being one of them, it sure wasn't because of soft competition.

So you can kind of understand that based on when I've seen the guy play he's looked close to unstoppable. I didn't see games like Nicholls State where he went 17 of 41 or Sam Houston where he went 12 of 30.

Others seam to agree follow link for article.
Half way through the article he compares Nealy and yes Vince Young. :smiley_wi

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/kblackistone/stories/112305dnspoblackistone.d418bd3.html

JohnStOnge
November 23rd, 2005, 08:53 PM
I'm glad you posted that link to the Texas A&M game video because I think it illustrates two things I talked about. First, you could see that Texas State has excellent team speed for a I-AA. Note their ability to close on Texas A&M's skill players. They can move on defense.

Second, the 38 yard run at the end of the highlights demonstrates how dangerous the QB is with his feet. That's the kind of thing that changes the whole game. What can't really be appreciated from it is how fast he is when he has a chance to really gas it on a straight sprint like he did on that 81 yard run against SFA.

On one hand, the 2005 Texas A&M defense is not a good one. It's not the "Wrecking Crew" of Aggie tradition. Not even close. But they've still probably got more overall team speed than any I-AA does.

Georgia Southern may blow Texas State out. Heck, I remember an Arkansas State team that tied 8-3-1 Ole Miss and played 6-5 Mississippi State to the hilt being blown out by the Eagles in the Championship game. But if it happens it's not going to be because Georgia Southern has an overall advantage in team speed and athleticism.

dirtbag
November 23rd, 2005, 09:58 PM

I posted just about the same type of message in a different thread and someone completely bitched me out and told me to take it to the smack board.

Let's see if Ms. Manners shows up in this thread...

Eagle22
November 23rd, 2005, 11:53 PM
The last time I remember this much pre-game hype for an opposing QB was when we were set to face Hofstra's Rocky Butler in the 2000 playoffs.

Granted, that game was at Paulson Stadium, and he came into the game toting a playoff win over Furman from the following week, but he never looked comfortable. He was an all-conference caliber player, with a ton of yards through the air and was a major running threat.

Our offense stole the show. Hofstra got down early, and couldn't keep up the idea of trading scores. With the exception of the 1989 semi-final win over Montana, it was the nastiest-coldest-rainy day I've ever seen a football game at Paulson Stadium.

We did not have a particularly stellar defense in 2000, especially early to midway through the season ... but we had timely defense which showed up just enough to get the win ... most notably @ Delaware and in Chattanooga vs. the Griz in the chipper.

This year is similar for GSU. We have the capacity to be OK on defense, and if we don't get throttled early like we did at App State or like we did on the road @ Furman in 2000 (L 45-10), then I like our chances. If we have an early lead or it is a close game throughout, I think we win this game.

As for comparing Nealy to Butler, it sounds to me they are similar except in size. He will be a big guy to bring down, and knowing how we aren't the best at wrapping up I expect he'll walk through some of our arm-tackling ...

Still ... I like our ability to score points and stay in the game ....

Should be a good one .... win or lose ...

eagleskins
November 24th, 2005, 02:53 AM
I can assure you, GSU will have the team speed advantage. And it won't even be close.

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2005, 06:54 AM
I can assure you, GSU will have the team speed advantage. And it won't even be close.

Only if this Georgia Southern team is substantially faster than the ones I've seen in the past. And I've seen a lot of them.

I've watched Georgia Southern for many years starting when I lived in Glynn County and used to go to playoff games at Statesboro. It is consistently a fast I-AA team.

But Louisiana and Texas are "speed" states that take a back seat to no other states, including places like Florida and California, when it comes to per capita production of "speed" players. Georgia Southern is not typically faster overall than what one typically sees in the Southland conference among the better teams there in any given year (except maybe in the offensive line because of what's needed from an offensive lineman in that option offense as opposed to what's needed from one in other offenses). In fact, from reading what a coach has had to say about it, one of the tough things for Southland teams playing Georgia Southern is that they often play very aggressive defenses based on speed and have to try to play a different style when facing that offense. You do not have to have a speed advantage to pop big plays and make plenty of yardage using an option offense if you run it well like Georgia Southern does. That is, in fact, why programs like Air Force and Navy run it in I-A; it allows them to somewhat neutralize being at a speed disadvantage

Having Nicholls State in the league running option has helped that some, but it is still difficult for Southland teams to deal with.

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2005, 07:20 AM
The last time I remember this much pre-game hype for an opposing QB was when we were set to face Hofstra's Rocky Butler in the 2000 playoffs....

As for comparing Nealy to Butler, it sounds to me they are similar except in size. He will be a big guy to bring down, and knowing how we aren't the best at wrapping up I expect he'll walk through some of our arm-tackling ...

Still ... I like our ability to score points and stay in the game ....

Should be a good one .... win or lose ...

I think it's the most interesting first round matchup. If I had to bet I'd bet on GSU to win. But I'd be very uncertain.

I never saw Butler but in looking at his stats I think the biggest difference between the two could be that Nealy is substantially more dangerous in terms of making plays with his feet. Butler averaged 3.7 yards per carry in 2000 while Nealy averages 7.2. Butler had slightly better passing statistics in 2000 (rating 144.5, 56.6 percent complete) than Nealy has had (131.4 rating, 55.3 percent complete) this season.

The two had about the same number of rushing attempts during their respective seasons...Butler at 118 and Nealy at 116. But Nealy generated 834 yards with his while Butler netted 439.

straightshooter
November 24th, 2005, 08:39 AM
This year's GSU offense is one of the fastest they've ever had. The problem early was that four of the six starters in the skill positions were first year starters at their positions. It usually takes a few games to get the timing for those first year starters, especially the QB in that offense. GSU operated with a very small playbook in its first three or four games, and the results prove it. Foster had the deer in the headlights look against the pressure that McNeese brought, and if not for a penalty that negated the go ahead TD late in the game, GSu would have probably pulled that one out anyway. Four lost mesh fumbles at Wofford proved fatal, but that game was winnable at the end. A mesh fumble is one that occurs during the QB/FB exchange in the first level of the option.

Frankly there aren't many 1A or 1AA teams that have the overall speed at the skill positions that GSU has. Their 40 times are pretty impressive:
Foster - 4.34, Austin - 4.5, Jefferson - 4.37, Maynard - 4.38, McCutcheon - 4.4, Craft - 4.41. Those are pretty quick in anyone's book.

Now if a team has great defensive speed with really good shut down corners, they can slow that offense down. The biggest problem is being able to shut down all three phases of the triple option as GSU runs it.

Foster now has enough game snaps in him that the game is slowing down for him. Early in the year everything was a blur because he didn't have the game snap experience. We went through the same thing with Chaz Williams, Greg Hill, J.R. Revere, et al, and each of them became really good GSU QBs once they slowed the game down with proper defensive reads.

Because of the defensive youth in the DL, I'm not sure that this is GSU's year. I'd say that they will be more dominating in '06 &'07. Three different GSU DL were named SoCon Defensive Freshmen of the Week this year, and freshman safety Dedrick Bynam was named the SoCon Freshman of the Year a couple of days ago.

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2005, 09:05 AM
The 40 times are probably exaggerated. That's not a knock at Georgia Southern, that's just usually how it is. If you want to get an idea of that pay attention to a few well known prospects' 40 times reported in press clippings over a given year then look at what they do when the NFL times them prior to the draft.

I watched Austin play at McNeese in 2003. He's a good back and he did get nicked early in the game. But even before he was nicked McNeese defensive players did not have a hard time running him down once he broke clean. He was no threat to run away from their linebackers, much less their defensive backs. If he runs for the NFL I expect to see something like 4.7.

That's not all that bad. That's what Tracey Ham ran for the pros.

In any case, I can pretty much guarantee you that player for player...overall team speed...Texas A&M has more speed than Georgia Southern does. Georgia Southern is not likely to be the fastest squad Texas State has seen this season. The only caveat is offensive line because Georgia Southern's offense demands a different set of characteristics than traditional offenses do.

I did think Georgia Southern's wingbacks looked fast against Georgia last year. But there are some very fast guys at the outside skill positions in the Southland Conference too as well as some very fast guys on defense. It isn't going to be something where Texas State's going to be facing a level of team speed out of line with anything the Bobcats have seen. It probably will be something they haven't seen in terms of the speed of the wingbacks out of that offense. I watched Nicholls State last week and, though they were good, I don't think they have outstanding speed at those positions. When they broke clean McNeese's DBs seemed to be able to run them down. They did not appear to have anybody that's a threat to take it the distance from anywhere on the field and I think GSU does have that if it's the same wingbacks I saw against Georgia.

But it won't be the first time this season TSU has played against skill players that are capable of doing that.

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I just decided to go to Texas A&M's web site and see if I could see some reported 40 times. I haven't gotten that yet but I see that their quarterback Reggie McNeal was District champ in the 100 and 200 meters and placed third in the state 5A meet.

I would feel pretty comfortable betting that he's faster than anybody Georgia Southern's got. I'd also feel pretty comfortable in saying he's not the fastest guy on Texas A&M's team. I know from having read over the years that when you start seeing 40 times from Texas A&M's skill people you're going to see numbers in the 4.2s and even the 4.1s. Now, they're probably exaggerated as noted earlier, but it's something you could compare to what's reported for Georgia Southern.

I hope this is not going to be interperted as "smack." I just don't think the statement that Texas State hasn't seen speed like Georgia Southern's got is accurate.

straightshooter
November 24th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Yep, and I bet that Nealy is probably a 4.6+ for the pros too. Not many guys out there at 6'5", 230 who can run 4.4.

I do know that some of GSU's posted times were electrically timed, so my guess is that they are right. We had a guy a couple of years ago who we listed at 4.31 who ran 4.23 for the pros. Chaz Williams was listed last year at 4.37 and he ran a 4.33 for Green Bay. That's why he's on their roster, albeit injured right now.

I won't argue 40 times because they are usually inflated, especially when coming from the high school level. The Nike camps have started to get some real numbers that are posted on recruiting sites. I do know that GSU slotback Jefferson ran back to back 4.37s at an FSU camp as a HS senior.

Watch the game on Saturday and then make a comment on the team speed. You may prove to be right. We'll see.

GSUBass
November 24th, 2005, 10:06 AM
If there is one guy who is a threat to take it to the house from any position on the field, it's Jason Foster, and he's the guy who touches the ball on every offensive play and no I don't mean the center.

I'm worried about this game, but more because of our defense. Our offense knows what to do.

txstatebobcat
November 24th, 2005, 10:13 AM
A&M fans told us that Reggie McNeal runs a 4.3 forty.

eagleskins
November 24th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I just decided to go to Texas A&M's web site and see if I could see some reported 40 times. I haven't gotten that yet but I see that their quarterback Reggie McNeal was District champ in the 100 and 200 meters and placed third in the state 5A meet.

I would feel pretty comfortable betting that he's faster than anybody Georgia Southern's got. I'd also feel pretty comfortable in saying he's not the fastest guy on Texas A&M's team. I know from having read over the years that when you start seeing 40 times from Texas A&M's skill people you're going to see numbers in the 4.2s and even the 4.1s. Now, they're probably exaggerated as noted earlier, but it's something you could compare to what's reported for Georgia Southern.

I hope this is not going to be interperted as "smack." I just don't think the statement that Texas State hasn't seen speed like Georgia Southern's got is accurate.

McNeal is nowhere near as fast as Foster.

dirtbag
November 24th, 2005, 03:20 PM
McNeal is nowhere near as fast as Foster.

He's actually faster. Do a Google search. McNeal was electronically clocked at 4.32. Foster's own coach says he runs a 4.38.

Kill'em
November 24th, 2005, 08:47 PM
What makes Foster so special is it's not just his speed, it's his elusiveness. He rarely takes a clean shot. When he runs outside, someone on the backside better stay home because he will reverse and break a big-gainer. He doesn't need but a crack and he is off. Also for 165 pounds, he is very tough to bring down.
However, people seem so concerned about speed they forget we have not one, but two fullbacks capable of busting plays up the middle and absolutely wearing a defense out.

youwouldno
November 24th, 2005, 09:26 PM
A&M fans told us that Reggie McNeal runs a 4.3 forty.

Yeah, and McNeal tore Texas St up.

But he's a pass-first guy. Needless to say, Foster isn't. As GSU fans have said, it's really Foster's elusiveness that makes him so hard to bring down, not his straight-line speed.

This should be a close game, but I like GSU, or at least I like GSU +4.5, which is what I bet on.

HPCAT
November 25th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Yeah, and McNeal tore Texas St up.

But he's a pass-first guy. Needless to say, Foster isn't. As GSU fans have said, it's really Foster's elusiveness that makes him so hard to bring down, not his straight-line speed.

This should be a close game, but I like GSU, or at least I like GSU +4.5, which is what I bet on.

McNeal did have 86 yards on 11 carries, but Nealy had a better game as far as total offense goes.

A&M had a top 10 offense at the time we played and it still is in the top 20 in IA. A&M outgained TXST by about 60 yards on the day.

It was the 123 yards of penalties and 3 turnovers that were the main factors in TXST losing that game, not A&M having more speed or pushing us around, anyone that saw the game can testify to that.

straightshooter
November 25th, 2005, 06:42 AM
There's always some lame reason that fans use as to why their teams lose.
Fact is that it all comes down to execution. The team who executes best on Saturday will win. Penalties, fumbles, refs, etc. will be topic of conversations on Sunday, but it will be the execution of plays that determine the winner.

What the heck. GSU has no chance against the NFL laden roster of Tex St, but I bet they will still show up just as they have for the past 20 years. By the way, every team GSU has ever faced in the playoffs had bigger players. Remember Montana in 2000? They outweighed GSU on the OL and DL by 30 to 40 lbs. per man, but GSU still ran up another flag on that pole at Paulson.

Kill'em
November 25th, 2005, 06:58 AM
It's true of any playoff game, the team that makes the fewest mistakes usually wins.

ChiefGSU275
November 25th, 2005, 10:04 AM
You guys are all right....GSU stands no chance on saturday. I dont even know why we are even wasting money on travel to texas. We should save that money and buy some NFL players like TSU-SM has. I just hope they are merciful on us, and dont beat us by more than 100.

HPCAT
November 25th, 2005, 11:02 AM
You guys are all right....GSU stands no chance on saturday. I dont even know why we are even wasting money on travel to texas. We should save that money and buy some NFL players like TSU-SM has. I just hope they are merciful on us, and dont beat us by more than 100.

I was actually going to call the VP of Student Affairs and request we do not allow the TXST young men on the field to humilate themselves against such a power house program that has 6 NC and 16 straight playoff appearances. :bow:

All kidding aside, I respect your program, as I have a good friend from GSU and we talk I-AA FB quite often. But, you have to show respect to earn respect, and if you think you can discount the TXST team just because this is the first year in the I-AA playoffs, you will be in for a surprise.

Interesting useless trivia, TXST was never in the DII playoffs until 1981, but once we did finally get in we won back to back NC titles.

Deja Vu ??? I don't think so, but we will not be a flash in the pan with a stable coach like Bailiff that bleeds maroon and gold.

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Oh for Pete's sake. My gut feeling is that GSU is going to win. The Eagles have a program history that should engender poise and confidence. I believe it's a real advantage over a first time entrant. Also they have a good offense that they run very well.

But this speed thing with Georgia Southern has been overblown for years. Yes, it's always a fast I-AA team. But there's always teams around the country that have comparable speed.

I remember watching a Georgia Southern wingback break clean early in the 2000 championship game then get caught from behind by a Montana defensive back. It was a very long run because it popped so clean but there was no question that the Montana DB was the faster player.

Adrian Peterson was timed at 4.68 by the NFL:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/peterson_adrian.htm (http://)

To put that in perspective, Sam Houston State quarterback Josh McCown was timed at 4.59 when he came out:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/mccown_joshua.htm (http://)

GSU's coaching staff said they timed Earthwind Moreland at 4.31. While I can't find it now I'm pretty sure the NFL timed him in the 4.6s.

Tracey Ham was a 4.7 guy.

The fact that Adrian Peterson, at around 4.7, piled up the yards he did and had some of the big runs he put up ought to tell you that you don't need to have great speed to put up big numbers in that offense (of course it also helps to be able to run over people like Peterson could).

Georgia Southern is the Gold Standard of I-AA programs on the field. But this stuff about them lining up against other good I-AA teams and just shocking them with speed like they've never seen is nonsense.

And I'm telling you, you can pretty much book it that if the NFL times any of the guys y'all are talking about the times you're going to see are going to be a lot different than what you're seeing reported right now.

GSUBass
November 25th, 2005, 11:07 AM
doesn't everybody bleed maroon anyway?

I mean, it's a dark shade of red...now...the gold...I dunno, maybe he had it injected into his blood stream to show his players how "hardcore" he is. xlolxxlolx

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2005, 11:10 AM
All kidding aside, I respect your program, as I have a good friend from GSU and we talk I-AA FB quite often. But, you have to show respect to earn respect, and if you think you can discount the TXST team just because this is the first year in the I-AA playoffs, you will be in for a surprise.

I respect them a lot too and I haven't read a lot of the posts since the last time I was here. But this stuff of Texas State not having seen speed like they're going to see Saturday when the Bobcats played Texas A&M...I mean...come ON!

Baldy
November 25th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I remember watching a Georgia Southern wingback break clean early in the 2000 championship game then get caught from behind by a Montana defensive back. It was a very long run because it popped so clean but there was no question that the Montana DB was the faster player.

It was actually the first play of the game, and there was nothing clean about Mark Myers' breakaway. It started down the right sideline worked it's way all the way across the field to the left sideline and the only thing that stopped him was the angle Montana's DB (Coleman) had.

IMO, MM is the fastest player ever to suit up at GSU. According to the records, MM is #2 clocked @ 4.33, right behind Moreland's 4.31. However he ran back to back 4.2's for NY Giants coaches at a Pro Day in Statesboro during 2001. The only problem is that Myers was a "track guy", and still holds several GA high school track records. He never really developed into a true running back and couldn't catch a lick, but for us, his speed in the slot position made up for his lack of RB skills.

ChiefGSU275
November 25th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Myers also had no lateral speed. If the lane was open straight in front of him, he was golden. If he had to make someone miss, he usually got stopped.

eagleskins
November 25th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Oh for Pete's sake. My gut feeling is that GSU is going to win. The Eagles have a program history that should engender poise and confidence. I believe it's a real advantage over a first time entrant. Also they have a good offense that they run very well.

But this speed thing with Georgia Southern has been overblown for years. Yes, it's always a fast I-AA team. But there's always teams around the country that have comparable speed.

To put that in perspective, Sam Houston State quarterback Josh McCown was timed at 4.59 when he came out:

GSU's coaching staff said they timed Earthwind Moreland at 4.31. While I can't find it now I'm pretty sure the NFL timed him in the 4.6s.

The fact that Adrian Peterson, at around 4.7, piled up the yards he did and had some of the big runs he put up ought to tell you that you don't need to have great speed to put up big numbers in that offense (of course it also helps to be able to run over people like Peterson could).

Georgia Southern is the Gold Standard of I-AA programs on the field. But this stuff about them lining up against other good I-AA teams and just shocking them with speed like they've never seen is nonsense.

And I'm telling you, you can pretty much book it that if the NFL times any of the guys y'all are talking about the times you're going to see are going to be a lot different than what you're seeing reported right now.

New England had Earthwind timed at 4.29 last year when he won his Super Bowl ring.

blueballs
November 25th, 2005, 12:36 PM

A lot of true info there...

The thing about GSU and speed has almost taken on a life of its own, particularly among the Eagle faithful. There is track speed and game speed. A guy can be comparitively slow on the track (Peterson) but really fast on the field. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Here's my take on it. Think about a second and see if you don't agree...

The thing that seperates GSU speed wise is not that they have faster players than anybody else, but that they run a unique offense at a faster tempo than anybody else. When a defense isn't used to playing against that particular scheme and it is run at an extremely fast pace the results can be devastating. That's what makes the offense really difficult to prepare for. It isn't really the assignment portion of it, nor really the speed of the athletes, it is the tempo that can't be duplicated by scout teams.

As an example, watch Austin. The guy hits the hole ongodly fast and hits it low. If a defense isn't used to a guy hitting the hole from 3 steps back at that pace they're in trouble and it is an awfully tough adjustment. GSU's o-line, particularly the guards and center, really come off the ball fast. On the pitch the slots, who are in motion, are at full stride when they receive the ball and are MOL running a lane. If the option is being run right, it is really difficult to follow the ball from the stands.

If they can get a guy to commit too early, or hesitate and get out of position, or even get to playing too fast and get confused, that's when they hit big plays. The demand on the defense of every player being in the right assignment, at the right time, and executing every time against a tempo and a scheme they aren't used to is quite stressful and is an advantage for the offense.

Hope that helps...

ChickenMan
November 25th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I don't question GSU's offense... but their defense vs Texas St is a big ?

youwouldno
November 25th, 2005, 04:12 PM
GSU's offense is all about execution. Their speed is overrated though they have quicker O-linemen than most teams because they don't have to hold up in pass pro. That said, Foster has elite athleticism.

40 times are so 70s, you would think football analysis would be more advanced by now.

Cat79
November 25th, 2005, 05:13 PM
It is almost time to button up the chins straps and see how good the mighty eagles are. After reading all of the Georgia Southern fans posting almighty posts everywhere it leads others to believe that Texas State should not even show up at our own stadium for the game. The eagle fans seem to think that Texas State shouldn't be on the same field with their beloved eagles. Your blatant disrespect for our team and fans is evident.

We will see what happens real soon. Get ready for an adjustment to reality in Texas when you are knocked off your pedestal.

Go Texas State!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DemiGS
November 25th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Easy killer!
Cat79 - It's the playoffs, obviously there are going to be jackasses that come out of the wood work and talk a lot of smack. I think most knowledgeable GSU fans have plenty of respect for Tx State. Yes GSU is generally a fast team, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we assumed no one has ever seen this kind of fast. We could win this game tomorrow, but the deciding factor won't be speed so much as it will be play calling. If the Cats can stun the Eagles early, the coaches’ play book generally gets flat. But I've always noticed that GSU feeds off of momentum probably more than any team I've watched. If they feel like they're on a roll - they pin their ears back on both sides of the ball. As you say...all the guess work will be over tomorrow. Not a day too soon if you ask me

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2005, 06:42 PM
It is almost time to button up the chins straps and see how good the mighty eagles are. After reading all of the Georgia Southern fans posting almighty posts everywhere it leads others to believe that Texas State should not even show up at our own stadium for the game. The eagle fans seem to think that Texas State shouldn't be on the same field with their beloved eagles. Your blatant disrespect for our team and fans is evident.

We will see what happens real soon. Get ready for an adjustment to reality in Texas when you are knocked off your pedestal.

In spite of everything I've said about Georgia Southern's speed being overstated understand that that's only because people have gone overboard. It IS typically a very fast I-AA team.

And I watched a replay of McNeese at Nicholls State yesterday. I got the same impression as I did when I watched the game live. I don't think Nicholls State has as much speed at the quarterback, fullback, and wingback positions as Georgia Southern typically does. I don't think it's offensive linemen don't run as well as GSU's typically do either. While Texas State has seen at least one team in Texas A&M that almost certainly has more overall team speed than GSU and has probably seen some Southland teams with comparable overall speed, it has not seen anybody who runs that offense with the kind of quickness and crispness that Georgia Southern typically has when the Eagles are doing it.

It's going to help the Bobcats to have played Nicholls State, but it won't be the same if it's a typical GSU team. Everything's going to be a bit faster and crisper.

I'm really interested in watching this game. I know Texas State has real good overall team speed for a I-AA and I know the Bobcats have some dominant players on both side of the ball. I know GSU runs that offense like nobody else and the Eagles obviously know how to win in the playoffs. I can't wait.

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2005, 06:51 PM
It was actually the first play of the game, and there was nothing clean about Mark Myers' breakaway. It started down the right sideline worked it's way all the way across the field to the left sideline and the only thing that stopped him was the angle Montana's DB (Coleman) had.

IMO, MM is the fastest player ever to suit up at GSU. According to the records, MM is #2 clocked @ 4.33, right behind Moreland's 4.31. However he ran back to back 4.2's for NY Giants coaches at a Pro Day in Statesboro during 2001. The only problem is that Myers was a "track guy", and still holds several GA high school track records. He never really developed into a true running back and couldn't catch a lick, but for us, his speed in the slot position made up for his lack of RB skills.

I taped it. Hopefully I can find it and look at it again. I can tell you that my impression while watching the game is that the guy didn't have an angle and he got outrun. And I was pulling for Georgia Southern so it was in the context of being disappointed that he didn't make it.

Baldy
November 25th, 2005, 07:48 PM

xlolx

Just from looking at some of the....let's say, interesting...predictions from some of your fans on your board, I would say you are a victim of some very selective reading. :eyebrow:

blackfordpu
November 25th, 2005, 10:19 PM
xlolx

Just from looking at some of the....let's say, interesting...predictions from some of your fans on your board, I would say you are a victim of some very selective reading. :eyebrow:

I would not doubt that. :)

CrunchGriz
November 26th, 2005, 02:35 AM
I taped it. Hopefully I can find it and look at it again. I can tell you that my impression while watching the game is that the guy didn't have an angle and he got outrun. And I was pulling for Georgia Southern so it was in the context of being disappointed that he didn't make it.

I remember the play in question, but not enough to say whether Calvin Coleman had an angle or not. It should be remembered, though, that even if Myers was fast, Coleman was no slouch himself, having the best speed on the Grizzlies' team that year--something like a 10.4 100, if I remember right. Not Myers' speed, but if he had any angle he should have been able to run him down. He ran down plenty of receivers with good speed during his career.

Baldy
November 26th, 2005, 04:31 AM
I would not doubt that. :)

Examples......

GSU Fan:
I predict we will have 400 yards rushing 125 passing (which is close to our averages) and win 42-28.

TSU-SM Fan(s):
"All these GSU fans are disrespecting our team, blah, blah, blah". Then they throw out the obligatory "clown" and "moron" smack, calling our team a bunch of "midgets" "mini me's", etc., And to top it off they make these asinine 45-14, 45-0, 28-3, 56-0, and 45-20 "predictions".

Unbelieveable... :rolleyes:

Kill'em
November 26th, 2005, 05:21 AM

What in the world are you smoking? It's smack talk, nothing more. If there is one thing that Erk Russell taught all Georgia Southern players and fans is to take one game at a time and not overlook anybody. There are very few of us who feel this will be a blowout in GSU's favor so yes, there is a lot of respect for TXST. Sorry you are so sensitive but if you can't handle the smack, then you might be following the wrong sport! xazzx

JohnStOnge
November 26th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I remember the play in question, but not enough to say whether Calvin Coleman had an angle or not. It should be remembered, though, that even if Myers was fast, Coleman was no slouch himself, having the best speed on the Grizzlies' team that year--something like a 10.4 100, if I remember right. Not Myers' speed, but if he had any angle he should have been able to run him down. He ran down plenty of receivers with good speed during his career.

That's related to what I'm talking about. There are plenty of I-AA programs that have speed. Like I hear people say Montana doesn't have speed but that's a crock. I've watched them play. They're usually a very fast I-AA team, particularly on defense. Their defensive front usually runs very well. Same with Montana State when I've seen them.

Kill'em
November 26th, 2005, 09:04 AM
I wonder if teams like that often have underrated speed because their lines are usually so big.