PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Post Season Awards

colgate13
November 23rd, 2005, 09:56 AM
Are out (http://patriotleague.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112305aaa.html).

Selfishly, Colgate did great. The big ones:

Steve Silva, Holy Cross, Offensive and Special Teams POY
Jared Nepa, Colgate, Defensive POY
Jordan Scott, Colgate, Rookie of the Year
Dick Biddle, Colgate, Coach of the Year.

How do my Lafayette friends feel about that Nepa pick? I can see arguements for both...

ngineer
November 23rd, 2005, 12:16 PM
Are out (http://patriotleague.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112305aaa.html).

Selfishly, Colgate did great. The big ones:

Steve Silva, Holy Cross, Offensive and Special Teams POY
Jared Nepa, Colgate, Defensive POY
Jordan Scott, Colgate, Rookie of the Year
Dick Biddle, Colgate, Coach of the Year.

How do my Lafayette friends feel about that Nepa pick? I can see arguements for both...

Nepa was a standout, whereas Bennett had two other stud LB's working with him. I was more impressed with Witherspoon than Bennett last Saturday--not to say Bennett's a slouch, but as a basis for the award. Colgate had more of a 'rebuilding' start to the season and was more of a surprise--especially after the way the Raiders started. It could have been a disastorous season after CCSU and Dartmouth, but he held it together. Other two are no-brainers-though I'd like to think our kicker, Leo, got some votes--extremely effective punter and unfortunately, didn't start placekicking til later--but what a future!
I'm sorry Borda didn't get a full season in. He may have taken the Offensive award--especially coming down the stretch. His absence was sorely missed in the first half last Saturday. Threatt did an 'okay' job, but admitted he was very tight in the first half. I'm sure Borda would have been much more effective and a number of those early opportunities on LC's side of the 50 wouldn't have self-destructed. Plus, he' s such a great person. But I can't complain about Silva--he did it all--we shut him down from scrimmage, but he came back to bite us on the punt return, and he certainly left his mark on everyone else in the league. Overall, all the awards are justified.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2005, 01:02 PM
Nepa was a standout, whereas Bennett had two other stud LB's working with him. I was more impressed with Witherspoon than Bennett last Saturday--not to say Bennett's a slouch, but as a basis for the award. Colgate had more of a 'rebuilding' start to the season and was more of a surprise--especially after the way the Raiders started. It could have been a disastorous season after CCSU and Dartmouth, but he held it together. Other two are no-brainers-though I'd like to think our kicker, Leo, got some votes--extremely effective punter and unfortunately, didn't start placekicking til later--but what a future!
I'm sorry Borda didn't get a full season in. He may have taken the Offensive award--especially coming down the stretch. His absence was sorely missed in the first half last Saturday. Threatt did an 'okay' job, but admitted he was very tight in the first half. I'm sure Borda would have been much more effective and a number of those early opportunities on LC's side of the 50 wouldn't have self-destructed. Plus, he' s such a great person. But I can't complain about Silva--he did it all--we shut him down from scrimmage, but he came back to bite us on the punt return, and he certainly left his mark on everyone else in the league. Overall, all the awards are justified.

One thing that had me scratching my head was Blake Costanzo not making the first-team. Maurer was a bit of a surprise, but he played solid in PL games. I only thought Bennett was a shoo-in for DPOY since he is on the Buchanan list.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2005, 08:43 PM
One thing that had me scratching my head was Blake Costanzo not making the first-team. Maurer was a bit of a surprise, but he played solid in PL games. I only thought Bennett was a shoo-in for DPOY since he is on the Buchanan list.

Linebacker was a very deep position in the league this year. LC's all three could have been first teamers. Then you add Nepa from CU, Graziani and Purdy from LU, and Gtown had an impressive guy, too, but can't pull his name.
I think Bennett gets a look from the NFL.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
Linebacker was a very deep position in the league this year. LC's all three could have been first teamers. Then you add Nepa from CU, Graziani and Purdy from LU, and Gtown had an impressive guy, too, but can't pull his name.
I think Bennett gets a look from the NFL.

Or Wall Street.. either way he's set! An NFL preseason roster is plausible, maybe even a practice squad member during the season. Beyond that, it's tough to say because the NFL is so fierce. Btw what happened to Kevin Eakin, the woeful Jets should start him this week.. why not? Eakin has the flair.

LBPop
November 24th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Gtown had an impressive guy, too, but can't pull his name.

You might mean Mehdi Hassan. He's a remarkable athlete who can make some highlight reel plays. Because he was rarely given a breather and because the Georgetown defense was on the field constantly, his overall production probably suffered this season.

ngineer
November 24th, 2005, 05:37 PM
You might mean Mehdi Hassan. He's a remarkable athlete who can make some highlight reel plays. Because he was rarely given a breather and because the Georgetown defense was on the field constantly, his overall production probably suffered this season.

No question G'town had a stellar defense this year. Just got worn out by being on the field too long. How does next year look in terms of returning starters?

DFW HOYA
November 24th, 2005, 09:24 PM
How does next year look in terms of returning starters?

Georegetown returns five starters on defense, nine on offense.

colgate13
November 24th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Georegetown returns five starters on defense, nine on offense.

I hear some of the underclass linebackers are pretty good. ;) :rotateh: :hurray: