PDA

View Full Version : Central Connecticut Reveals 2009 Football Schedule

aceinthehole
February 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Fourth-year head coach Jeff McInerney and the Central Connecticut football team released its 2009 schedule this afternoon. It includes the program's first-ever game against an Ivy League opponent, and match-ups with teams from the Patriot League and Colonial Athletic Association. All games will played on Saturdays.

Sep 5 - at Lehigh
Sep 12 - at William and Mary
Sep 19 - BYE
Sep 26 - at Columbia
Oct 3 - vs Sacred Heart*
Oct 10 - vs Robert Morris*
Oct 17 - at Duquesne*
Oct 24 - at Bryant
Oct 31 - vs Albany*
Nov 7 - at Wagner*
Nov 14 - vs Monmouth*
Nov 21 - at Saint Francis (PA)*

* NEC games

http://www.ccsubluedevils.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=3672856

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2009, 04:10 PM
No home game until Oct. 3. And only four home games...brutal.

What's the deal with the schedule-makers this year?

aceinthehole
February 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Straight from the coach's mouth - "we need the money games." We are getting paid for the trips to Lehigh, W&M, and Columbia. Also, Columbia and Bryant are very short day trips (less than 2 hrs).

Listen to Coach Mac break down the schedule:
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/newMediaPlayer/console.htm?type=vod&oemid=17600&id=379653&ATCLID=3672856&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=88585&SPID=10551&DB_OEM_ID=17600&CLIP_ID=373450&CLIP_FILE_ID=379653

Seawolf97
February 18th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Lehigh, William and Mary again the NEC teams are stepping it up.

danefan
February 18th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Only 4 home games sucks, but I understand the reasoning of the university.

Overall, a pretty good schedule by CCSU.

Thanks NEC for the Albany schedule. We are now @ Monmouth and @ CCSU in back-to-back weeks. Dumb scheduling, especially in October. They should have pushed the Albany-CCSU-Monmouth matchups to November.

Tribe4SF
February 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Glad to see CCSU coming to Williamsburg. Tribes first matchup with an NEC team, and they're getting paid by ODU to make the trip.

Night games at Zable are a fun environment. Any fans want info on traveling to W&M, or gameday tips, just ask.

DFW HOYA
February 19th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Straight from the coach's mouth - "we need the money games." We are getting paid for the trips to Lehigh, W&M, and Columbia.

Lehigh pays for home games?

dgreco
February 19th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Lehigh pays for home games?

I was surprised by that,

tough 7 road game schedule. I think 4/5 are wins, 1/2 a toss up and then a loss for road games though. So not that bad of a turn out for road teams I suppose.

andy7171
February 19th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Isn't Monmouth in the NEC? It's missing an "*". Just sayin'

Nice schedule. Is the PFL looking?

dgreco
February 19th, 2009, 07:13 AM
^I have a feeling the PFL will be getting very few NEC games, which means they will have a lot of DIII, DII, and NAIA games I assume.

aceinthehole
February 19th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Dane - tough NEC schedule for UA. Odd years we get both UA and Monmouth at home, but even years we have to travel to both of you guys. I like Duquesne in the NEC, but in odd years we now have 2 trips to Western PA. Listen to Coach Mac seession, we are putting a lot of effort into beating UA and Monmouth (he is 0-6 in his 3 years).

Also, the home stand at Arute only hold about 3,500. We are expanding bleachers to the other side to increase capicity to just over 7k. That won't be ready until next season, so I think that's another reason to go to a road-heavy schedule.

---
DFW - Yes, they pay for games, but its not much. My guess is that its in the range of $50-70k. If you aren't willing to return a game on the road, you can bet that team is buying a home game. PL teams can only afford to do this vs NEC and PFL teams, when they don't want to hit the road.

Bucknell has done home/home deals with RMU and Duq, and your Hoyas have done the same vs Monmouth, and Fordham has returned games to Albany, but HC is also very likely buying the game vs Sacred Heart again (they did a few years ago).

---
We love this schedule at CCSU. It big for our program to get an Ivy game and we are looking forward to the trip to Williamsburg. Our program is headed in the right direction and feel with some more investment, we can compete on a national level.

I know UA fans want out of the NEC, but until UMass, URI, Maine, and UNH decide to leave the CAA and ask Albany, CCSU, Stony Brook, and ??? to join - this is our best bet. With the AQ next year and even with only 40 schollys, its clear we can compete with other regional conferences - PL, Ivy, MEAC, and Big South. We won't get to the CAA-level unless we join those Northern teams with history and sucess at this level.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I know UA fans want out of the NEC, but until UMass, URI, Maine, and UNH decide to leave the CAA and ask Albany, CCSU, Stony Brook, and Hofstra to join - this is our best bet.

xthumbsupx

danefan
February 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Dane - tough NEC schedule for UA. Odd years we get both UA and Monmouth at home, but even years we have to travel to both of you guys. I like Duquesne in the NEC, but in odd years we now have 2 trips to Western PA. Listen to Coach Mac seession, we are putting a lot of effort into beating UA and Monmouth (he is 0-6 in his 3 years).

Also, the home stand at Arute only hold about 3,500. We are expanding bleachers to the other side to increase capicity to just over 7k. That won't be ready until next season, so I think that's another reason to go to a road-heavy schedule.

Any renderings of the new stadium when finished?

I love CCSU's set up. I love to walk down into a stadium from the parking lot. Gives the impression that its bigger than it actually is.

7,000-10,000 is the perfect range for NEC teams right now.

I know UA fans want out of the NEC, but until UMass, URI, Maine, and UNH decide to leave the CAA and ask Albany, CCSU, Stony Brook, and ??? to join - this is our best bet. With the AQ next year and even with only 40 schollys, its clear we can compete with other regional conferences - PL, Ivy, MEAC, and Big South. We won't get to the CAA-level unless we join those Northern teams with history and sucess at this level.

The major problem I and most others have with the NEC is the 40 scholarship limit. It hinders programs in two ways - no FBS guarantee games and no realistic chance to compete for a national title year in and year out. MEAC and OVC teams can't even get out of the first round with 63 rides. What are than chances an NEC teams is going to get out with 40? Slim to none, IMO.

Its accepting mediocrity and as an alumni and fan I cannot accept that from my university.

Dane96
February 19th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah...what Danefan said.

I actually LIKE the mid-top of the NEC (Albany, Monmouth, CCSU, Bryant, Duquense...and RMU)...but wish we would get to the scholly level that would allow us to get FBS games.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I actually LIKE the mid-top of the NEC (Albany, Monmouth, CCSU, Bryant, Duquense...and RMU)...but wish we would get to the scholly level that would allow us to get FBS games.

My thoughts exactly... about the Patriot League. :D

dgreco
February 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Yeah...what Danefan said.

I hope they can keep up.

Bryant coach and administration said they are not just throwing scholarships to kids to reach limits. Coach Fine last year said that if in 5 years they have 10 scholarships that will be a lot.

They think they have a system to get players without scholarships. They played last year with 0 scholarship players and this upcoming class was given 0 scholarship money.

Of course they could be saying this and giving the money, someone with more inside info, like Bulldog Fan, might know if this is completely true.

I hope if they go with 0-low scholarships they can continue to improve like they have.

Dane96
February 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I would be SHOCKED if you only gave 10 scholarships. Frankly, there is no way they could compete with 10 scholarships. Albany, Central, and Monmouth will be at 40 in the next few years. I suspect Duqunese and RMU will be very close to that number.

danefan
February 19th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I hope they can keep up.

Bryant coach and administration said they are not just throwing scholarships to kids to reach limits. Coach Fine last year said that if in 5 years they have 10 scholarships that will be a lot.

They think they have a system to get players without scholarships. They played last year with 0 scholarship players and this upcoming class was given 0 scholarship money.

Of course they could be saying this and giving the money, someone with more inside info, like Bulldog Fan, might know if this is completely true.

I hope if they go with 0-low scholarships they can continue to improve like they have.

I would be SHOCKED if you only gave 10 scholarships. Frankly, there is no way they could compete with 10 scholarships. Albany, Central, and Monmouth will be at 40 in the next few years. I suspect Duqunese and RMU will be very close to that number.

They may be classifying some as grants-in-aid. Why they would do that I don't know. But I cannot imagine they can continue to recruit at the same level as Albany, CCSU and Monmouth if they don't start giving rides.

dgreco
February 19th, 2009, 10:37 AM
It was interesting, because in the last two signing classes they made no mention of offering scholarships and there is no indication in local papers either. The other sports that offer scholarships says it in the releases.

If you listen to the last year teleconference and listen to Coach Fine he says it there that they are non-schollie and have a system.

Again, I am not sure how completely true that is. Bryant is know for being very quiet about everything. They could be grant-in-aid, but it makes no sense to not call them scholarships or offer the scholarship if they are giving the money.

Link to Coach Fine Q&A/Opening statement (http://northeastconference.org/News/fball/2008/8/12/fb-preseasonteleconferencesoundbites.asp?SPSID=88585&SPID=10551&DB_OEM_ID=17600&path=fball)

danefan
February 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM
It was interesting, because in the last two signing classes they made no mention of offering scholarships and there is no indication in local papers either. The other sports that offer scholarships says it in the releases.

If you listen to the last year teleconference and listen to Coach Fine he says it there that they are non-schollie and have a system.

Again, I am not sure how completely true that is. Bryant is know for being very quiet about everything. They could be grant-in-aid, but it makes no sense to not call them scholarships or offer the scholarship if they are giving the money.

Link to Coach Fine Q&A/Opening statement (http://northeastconference.org/News/fball/2008/8/12/fb-preseasonteleconferencesoundbites.asp?SPSID=88585&SPID=10551&DB_OEM_ID=17600&path=fball)

Albany doesn't generally reference scholarships or how they are dolled out to each signee. There was one reference last year as the kid was the first in the program's history to receive a full academic scholarship.

Because they are split among most of the recruits, I feel its generally kept tight to the coaches' chests as to not show the disparity between what recruits gets what amount.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 19th, 2009, 10:49 AM

As a Patriot League school, I find that awfully interesting. Might they be thinking long-term at joining the Patriot League - in football, anyway? Of course, the PL gives the aid basically as scholarships but it doesn't get a lot of play - but I'm struck at the similarity with PL schools as to how they did it.

Tribe4SF
February 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM
As a Patriot League school, I find that awfully interesting. Might they be thinking long-term at joining the Patriot League - in football, anyway? Of course, the PL gives the aid basically as scholarships but it doesn't get a lot of play - but I'm struck at the similarity with PL schools as to how they did it.

LFN,

You're starting to sound like an aging street walker desperate to find a John. The NEC schools are more likely headed to full scholarships at some point. Stony Brook has already broken ranks, and I would bet that Albany, CCSU and Monmouth have similar designs.

The Patriot can put on more makeup, and a shorter skirt, but the fact remains that until they go scholarship, nobody's buying.

dgreco
February 19th, 2009, 11:42 AM
LFN,

You're starting to sound like an aging street walker desperate to find a John. The NEC schools are more likely headed to full scholarships at some point. Stony Brook has already broken ranks, and I would bet that Albany, CCSU and Monmouth have similar designs.

The Patriot can put on more makeup, and a shorter skirt, but the fact remains that until they go scholarship, nobody's buying.

In defense of LFN,
it si more about Bryant and the fact that they might not be offering scholarships and possibly GIA.

Tribe4SF
February 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM
What Coach Fine said in that interview was that Bryant HAD been Div. II non-scholarship, and was taking a giant step by moving to Div. I scholarship football by jumping over Div. II scholarship, and Div. I non-scholarship. He contrasted the difficulty of their move with other Bryant sports which had been Div. II scholarship (10 for basketball). Clear from his comments that the program is now a scholarship operation committed to being competitive in the NEC.

aceinthehole
February 19th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Any renderings of the new stadium when finished?

I love CCSU's set up. I love to walk down into a stadium from the parking lot. Gives the impression that its bigger than it actually is.

7,000-10,000 is the perfect range for NEC teams right now.

The best update/drawing I've see is from the following document (see p. 18). CCSU officials have been very quiet on the project, not something our fans are happy about.

It includes new bleachers (A frame) on the visitors side of the football field that will also provided seating for our new soccer/track field.

http://www.ccsu.edu/Courier/2008/Oct/courier_oct08.pdf

The plans are not too impressive, although as you point out we have a site on that hill which could be a fantastic stadium, if done right. However, we have a history of doing things on the cheap. The entire outddor renovation are budgeted at just $8 million.

It will be better and bigger than what we have now, but its not what I was hoping for. With all due respect, I don't think it will be too bad when compared to NU, UNH, URI, etc.

Also, if we ever needed it, we can use The Rent (UConn's stadium) for special games like the Harmony Classic that will draw 10K+. Its State owned, so if we could find an open week, we could probably use if we could sell enough seats.

Bulldog Fan
February 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM
In defense of LFN,
it si more about Bryant and the fact that they might not be offering scholarships and possibly GIA.

dgreco,

I am with you. I haven't heard a word about anyone on the team receiving a scholarship. Marty had his financial need based system while in D2 and I believe to some degree continues to follow it, especially with the upperclassmen.

Tribe4SF
February 20th, 2009, 05:17 AM
dgreco,

I am with you. I haven't heard a word about anyone on the team receiving a scholarship. Marty had his financial need based system while in D2 and I believe to some degree continues to follow it, especially with the upperclassmen.

A transition to scholarship football takes several years. Incoming players will receive the first scholarships, and the number will increase each year. The relevant question is whether Bryant will be a scholarship program, and according to Coach Fine, the answer is yes.

Uncle Buck
February 20th, 2009, 07:09 AM
A transition to scholarship football takes several years. Incoming players will receive the first scholarships, and the number will increase each year. The relevant question is whether Bryant will be a scholarship program, and according to Coach Fine, the answer is yes.

I know at Hofstra, 1995 was the first year they offered scholarships. 15 full rides went out to incoming freshmen. All of the upperclassmen who took the team to a 10-2 record that year and a playoff appearance still payed their way.

While it doesn't seem fair, it's really the only way you can build a full scholarship program. Giving out a bunch of 1/2's to kids who will be getting full offers somewhere else will leave you on the short end of the recruiting stick. xtwocentsx

dgreco
February 20th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Unless I am going crazy in that interview he says yes they are going scholarship, but they are not giving them out and in 10 years if they have 12 scholarships that will be a lot for this team.

dgreco
February 20th, 2009, 07:57 AM
The best update/drawing I've see is from the following document (see p. 18). CCSU officials have been very quiet on the project, not something our fans are happy about.

It includes new bleachers (A frame) on the visitors side of the football field that will also provided seating for our new soccer/track field.

http://www.ccsu.edu/Courier/2008/Oct/courier_oct08.pdf

The plans are not too impressive, although as you point out we have a site on that hill which could be a fantastic stadium, if done right. However, we have a history of doing things on the cheap. The entire outddor renovation are budgeted at just $8 million.

It will be better and bigger than what we have now, but its not what I was hoping for. With all due respect, I don't think it will be too bad when compared to NU, UNH, URI, etc.

Also, if we ever needed it, we can use The Rent (UConn's stadium) for special games like the Harmony Classic that will draw 10K+. Its State owned, so if we could find an open week, we could probably use if we could sell enough seats.

7,000 will rival the other New England schools, besides the Ivy schools and UMass basically it will be one of the better facilities. When I went to SCSU a few years ago I was surprised by the improvements they were making and making rapidly, is the entire CCSU campus going through the same?