PDA

View Full Version : NEC 2009 non-conference schedule

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Just a few openings left, and it appears all NEC teams are scheduling at least one full scholly/eqivs team in the 2009 season! This is certainly an improvement over years past, and something all NEC fans can be proud of.

http://travisliles.com/2009/northeast.html

Confirmed
Albany – 9/5 at Georgia Southern (SoCon), 9/12 vs. UMass (CAA)
CCSU – 9/5 at Lehigh (PL), 9/12 at William & Mary (CAA), 9/26 at Columbia (Ivy)
Duquesne – 9/5 vs. Bucknell (PL), 9/12 at Nichols State (SLC)
Monmouth – 9/5 at Colgate (PL), 9/12 at Coastcal Carolina (Big South), 9/26 at Old Dominion (Indy)
Robert Morris – 9/5 at VMI (Big South), 9/12 at Bucknell (PL)
Sacred Heart – 9/12 at Holy Cross (PL)
Saint Francis – 9/5 at New Hampshire (CAA), 9/19 at Northern Iowa (MVC)
Wagner – TBD at Delaware State (MEAC)

TBA
Albany – 1 game
Duquesne – 1 game
Robert Morris – 1 game
Sacred Heart – 2 games
Saint Francis – 1 game
Wagner – 2 games

*Each NEC team has 4 non-conference games available, however they will all play Bryant (Indy), leaving just 3 games to schedule.

Bryant - 8 NEC opponents plus - 9/5 vs. Southern Conn (D-II), 9/12 vs. Hofstra (CAA), 10/10 at Fordham (PL)

andy7171
February 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Just a few openings left, and it appears all NEC teams are scheduling at least one full scholly/eqivs team in the 2009 season! This is certainly an improvement over years past, and something all NEC fans can be proud of.

Confirmed
Monmouth – 9/5 at Colgate (PL), 9/12 at Coastcal Carolina (Big South), 9/26 at Old Dominion (Indy)
Sacred Heart – 9/12 at Holy Cross (PL)

TBA
Albany – 1 game
Duquesne – 1 game
Robert Morris – 1 game
Sacred Heart – 2 games
Saint Francis – 1 game
Wagner – 2 games

*Each NEC team has 4 non-conference games available, however they will all play Bryant (Indy), leaving just 3 games to schedule.

Bryant - 8 NEC opponents plus - 9/5 vs. Southern Conn (D-II), 9/12 vs. Hofstra (CAA), 10/10 at Fordham (CAA)

Wow! I had no idea Fordham was in the CAA North! :p

The league is upgrading as a whole unit. Nice. The PFL should pay attention.

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Wow! I had no idea Fordham was in the CAA North! :p

The league is upgrading as a whole unit. Nice. The PFL should pay attention.

xeekx Oops, nice catch! xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 11:38 AM
TBA

Albany – (1 game) rumor vs. Maine (CAA)
Duquesne – (1 game) very likely a return game at Dayton (Pioneer)
Robert Morris – (1 game) probably return game vs. Dayton (Pioneer)
Sacred Heart – (2 games) One game is probably at Marist (Pioneer)
Saint Francis – (1 game) very likely a return game at Marist (Pioneer)
Wagner – (2 games) One game is probably vs. Marist (Pioneer)

SHU and Wagner in all likelyhood still have one opening that I can't account for. I'd assume (hope) they are looking at another Pioneer team, but there is the possiblity they may find a sub-DI opponent.

danefan
February 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm really interested to see what other games Wagner and Sacred Heart get OOC. They have been the biggest sub-DI schedulers in recent years and I will be very happy if they have scheduled up.

There will be a lot of losses OOC this year, but its good for recruiting and good for national exposure.

Albany – 9/5 at Georgia Southern (SoCon), 9/12 vs. UMass (CAA) Albany could beat GSU, but the long trip will take its toll. UMass will be down this year I think and Albany could have beaten them last year on the road. I'll take Albany.
CCSU – 9/5 at Lehigh (PL) , 9/12 at William & Mary (CAA), 9/26 at Columbia (Ivy) CCSU should beat Lehigh and Columbia but will lose to W&M.
Duquesne – 9/5 vs. Bucknell (PL), 9/12 at Nichols State (SLC) Duq should beat Bucknell (almost came back to win that game last year) and will likely lose to Nichols State (too far of a trip).
Monmouth – 9/5 at Colgate (PL) , 9/12 at Coastcal Carolina (Big South), 9/26 at Old Dominion (Indy) Colgate and Coastal are toss up games. Monmouth should beat ODU.
Robert Morris – 9/5 at VMI (Big South), 9/12 at Bucknell (PL) RMU could beat VMI and Bucknell.
Sacred Heart – 9/12 at Holy Cross (PL) Sacred Heart will keep it close in the beginning but, HC with their 8th year QB is too much.
Saint Francis – 9/5 at New Hampshire (CAA), 9/19 at Northern Iowa (MVC) St. Francis will get throttled by both.
Wagner – TBD at Delaware State (MEAC) Wagner could beat DSU, but unlikely.

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I'm really interested to see what other games Wagner and Sacred Heart get OOC. They have been the biggest sub-DI schedulers in recent years and I will be very happy if they have scheduled up.

There will be a lot of losses OOC this year, but its good for recruiting and good for national exposure.

FYI - I updated the TBA games with info based on rumor (UA) and 2008 schedules.

More than a few winnable games in there.

UA - Could reasonably get a split from the CAA games at home.
CCSU - Wins vs both the PL and Ivy are realistic expectations for Central.
DU - Has a real shot at a win at home vs. Bucknell.
MU - Road heavy, but should come home with at least 1 scalp from the Colgate/Coastal trip.
RMU - Has potential, but I'm not expecting wins in either game.
SHU - Hopefully won't get embarassed, but won't win in Worcester.
SFPA - Collecting 2 big paychecks, so that's a win in my book.
WAG - A win is very possible, but not likely.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Ace, you must have a different definition of "big paycheck" than I do. ;) xrotatehx :D :D

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Ace, you must have a different definition of "big paycheck" than I do. ;) xrotatehx :D :D

For SFPA any paycheck to play a game is big. ;)

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Has a NEC team ever played an FBS team?

Yes, Central Connecticut played at Western Michigan (MAC) in 2007.

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
How did they fare ?

http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88585&SPID=10551&DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1246928

Central Connecticut stepped up on Saturday night and played its first-ever game versus a Division IA opponent, falling 51-14 on the road at Western Michigan. The Broncos took advantage of four first half Blue Devil turnovers and took a 31-7 lead at the break. CCSU was able to put the ball in the end zone on one drive in the half, driving 78 yards in 13 plays to cut the Bronco lead to 17-7 in the second quarter. The home team scored twice in the final seven minutes of the half to take the halftime lead.

Nerves played a big part in the 1st half, as we turned the ball over 4 times. The bright spot was that we outrushed the Broncos 196 to 184 and were only outscored 20-7 in the 2nd half.

And we had 55 less scholarships than WMU.

DetroitFlyer
February 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Not bad. I hope that there are some PFL games in there.... I would think that Duquesne would be coming to Dayton. I do not know if Dayton will return to Robert Morris. It has been a good series, but with Walton whining about Dayton being too good for a non-athletic scholarship team, (trying to say that Dayton "cheats" the non-athletic scholarship system), and the reported dirty play of the Robert Morris players, maybe Dayton gave them the heave-ho? If so, I would like to see Dayton renew its series with Saint Francis. I suppose that SFUP figures it might as well get paid if they are going to lose every game anyway...? I'm still not sure that going 0-11 year after year is a good way to make sure the program sticks around. I heard that a former NFL player and now local resident may be interviewing for a job on the SFUP staff. I know this guy and if he ends up at SFUP, he would help them improve. I really think that Dayton should play Duquesne, Robert Morris and Saint Francis every year!

It is obvious that the NEC is preparing for playoff access as a conference. Although you will never find it in writing, I believe that scheduling MANY more "traditional" FCS teams was one of the "conditions" for gaining playoff access, (as was moving to 40 scholarships).

IF the PFL were trying to follow the NEC into the playoffs, I suppose that the league should "pay attention". As it stands, the PFL still seems to be completely without direction from the leadership.... I have not seen anything official, but after the GIC dies, I suppose the PFL can look forward to divisions and a "championship" for a "meaningful post season experience". Kind of makes me throw up in my mouth a little.... No clue who the Flyers are playing in 2009. I hear that Division II Urbana might be back on the schedule.... Probably replacing Division II Central State, (We play them again in 2010). I do know that Dayton will not play Jacksonville this year. Just too many teams in the PFL. I suppose that we play Marist. As far as I know we are still going back to Fordham to complete that "series".

At any rate, good for the NEC. Here is to hoping that there are a fair number of "upsets" lurking in that schedule, (how sweet would it be is SFUP won one or two of those OOC games?)

dgreco
February 17th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I just hope Wagner and SHU do not take multiple DII games. And lose them like last year.

I am upset Bryant took SCSU, but I understand why, I think by the time they are officially in the conference we will see them playing mostly CAA/PL type teams.

I am excited for the NEC and I am sure that once the bid comes we will continue to see the scheduling increase, with the hope that a good loss, or an upset might have the chance to boost a second team in.

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Not bad. I hope that there are some PFL games in there.... I would think that Duquesne would be coming to Dayton. I do not know if Dayton will return to Robert Morris. It has been a good series, but with Walton whining about Dayton being too good for a non-athletic scholarship team, (trying to say that Dayton "cheats" the non-athletic scholarship system), and the reported dirty play of the Robert Morris players, maybe Dayton gave them the heave-ho? If so, I would like to see Dayton renew its series with Saint Francis. I suppose that SFUP figures it might as well get paid if they are going to lose every game anyway...? I'm still not sure that going 0-11 year after year is a good way to make sure the program sticks around. I heard that a former NFL player and now local resident may be interviewing for a job on the SFUP staff. I know this guy and if he ends up at SFUP, he would help them improve. I really think that Dayton should play Duquesne, Robert Morris and Saint Francis every year!

It is obvious that the NEC is preparing for playoff access as a conference. Although you will never find it in writing, I believe that scheduling MANY more "traditional" FCS teams was one of the "conditions" for gaining playoff access, (as was moving to 40 scholarships).

IF the PFL were trying to follow the NEC into the playoffs, I suppose that the league should "pay attention". As it stands, the PFL still seems to be completely without direction from the leadership.... I have not seen anything official, but after the GIC dies, I suppose the PFL can look forward to divisions and a "championship" for a "meaningful post season experience". Kind of makes me throw up in my mouth a little.... No clue who the Flyers are playing in 2009. I hear that Division II Urbana might be back on the schedule.... Probably replacing Division II Central State, (We play them again in 2010). I do know that Dayton will not play Jacksonville this year. Just too many teams in the PFL. I suppose that we play Marist. As far as I know we are still going back to Fordham to complete that "series".

At any rate, good for the NEC. Here is to hoping that there are a fair number of "upsets" lurking in that schedule, (how sweet would it be is SFUP won one or two of those OOC games?)

Flyer - this is just based on past schedules, but I think this is what you will see regrading PFL-NEC games next year:

Dayton - vs Duquesne, at Robert Morris
Marist - vs. Sacred Heart, vs. St. Francis, at Wagner

No info on PFL schedules yet?

I've said it many times, the NEC leadership and the member schools had a plan and were persistant. It took a lot of work to get the AQ, it wasn't handed to us like Haloween candy.

If PFL fans/schools want to be in the playoffs, they must dedicate a similar amount of effort. As you point out, right now that is not part of the PFL plan.

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I just hope Wagner and SHU do not take multiple DII games. And lose them like last year.

I am upset Bryant took SCSU, but I understand why, I think by the time they are officially in the conference we will see them playing mostly CAA/PL type teams.

I am excited for the NEC and I am sure that once the bid comes we will continue to see the scheduling increase, with the hope that a good loss, or an upset might have the chance to boost a second team in.

At worse, SHU and Wagner may each have 1 D-II game this year (see my earlier post about TBA games). IMO - This year is a huge step up for the NEC. But honestly, without the MAAC teams available some NEC schools don't have many options but to take $$$ games on the road vs. full scholly teams. That is not good news for SFPA and Wagner.

With 3 OOC games to schedule a year, I wouldn't care if the lower-tier NEC teams (SFPA, WAG, SHU) scheduled a D-II team as a home game, a PFL team in a rotating home/home deal, and a $$$ road game vs an AQ team.

LUHawker
February 17th, 2009, 02:15 PM
CCSU – 9/5 at Lehigh (PL) , 9/12 at William & Mary (CAA), 9/26 at Columbia (Ivy) CCSU should beat Lehigh and Columbia but will lose to W&M.
[/I][/B]

Sorry danefan, but CCSU isn't toppling Lehigh this year. Mark it down.

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM

I just did. ;)

danefan
February 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM

The game is a toss-up at best for Lehigh. The NEC and Patriot league are about even right now, and I'd give the top fo the NEC the nod over the top of the PL.

We shall see though.

LUHawker
February 17th, 2009, 02:32 PM
The game is a toss-up at best for Lehigh.

Seriously, a toss-up "at best"? That implies that Lehigh really won't have a shot to win this one. Come on, now. Don't let CCSU's win over Colgate a couple of years ago lull you. Colgate is a notoriously slow starter and I think that is the year they went 4-7. Lehigh was a 1-pt loss away from the playoffs last year and their 5-6 record is a bit misleading. This game is also in Bethlehem which helps a bit.

danefan
February 17th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Seriously, a toss-up "at best"? That implies that Lehigh really won't have a shot to win this one. Come on, now. Don't let CCSU's win over Colgate a couple of years ago lull you. Colgate is a notoriously slow starter and I think that is the year they went 4-7. Lehigh was a 1-pt loss away from the playoffs last year and their 5-6 record is a bit misleading. This game is also in Bethlehem which helps a bit.

No it means, that I think that game is even if not favoring CCSU. A toss-up at best, in my mind meant that Lehigh shouldn't be the favorite.

I'm not referring to a couple of years ago. The NEC is light years along from where it was a couple of years ago.

Colgate won the league and proceeded to get demolished by Villanova. What does that say? The Patriot League, like the Ivy league, has an overinflated reputation, as compared to the NEC, in my opinion. The PL has somehow retained its Colgate 2003 legacy by playing itself and Ivy teams. The PL had ONE quality win last year (Lafayette over Liberty).

I'm not saying that the PL is bad. I'm just saying that the NEC is just as good, for the most part.

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 02:58 PM

I think CCSU performance vs. AQ conferences since 2005 shows this will be a tough game.

9/3/05 - W, 24-22 at Colgate (won the PL that year and went to the playoffs)
9/10/05 - L, 56-10 vs URI (also beat Fordham, W&M, and Villanova that year)
9/9/06 - W, 17-13 at Georgia Southern (1 year removed from the playoffs)
8/30/07 - L, 20-10 at Towson
9/6/08 - W, 28-10 at Delaware State (1 year removed from the playoffs)

CCSU is 3-2 vs AQ conference teams in the past 4 seasons and won all 3 games on the road. Central is 0-2 vs the CAA in that time, hence the prediction of W&M as a favorite.

In the past 4 seasons, LU also has 3 wins vs non-conference AQ conference teams (VMI twice and Villanova). Not to mention, Lehigh is 1-1 vs. the NEC (win vs. Monmouth, Loss vs. Albany) during this period.

The fact you said Lehigh won't lose, implies this is a gimmie for the Hawks. Nothing is farther from the truth. It should be a toss up.

UAalum72
February 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
The requirement of wins vs. two AQ-league teams for the conditional AQ, by itself, would mean scheduling these games for any NEC team with a notion of qualifying. And who wants to tell their players that we didn't schedule them because we've got no chance at the league title or the playoffs anyway? (No matter how realistic that would be)

Syntax Error
February 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
IF the PFL were trying to follow the NEC into the playoffs, I suppose that the league should "pay attention"...Agreed. The PFL is firmly committed to the D-I non-scholarship football model while the NEC is trying to ramp up the scholarships. Both are doing well. Nice scheduling. xthumbsupx

Seawolf97
February 17th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Some nice matchups this season for the NEC squads. If we still have an open date maybe Wagner or Sacred Heart will show up on Long Island! We needed a replacement for the Iona game.

dgreco
February 17th, 2009, 09:05 PM
^come to bryant so we can drop SCSU, you owe us a return at some point :D

hebmskebm
February 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Where did news of a Wagner-Del State game come from? On the schedule site, it's listed under two different hypothetical dates, one on Wagner's page on Sep. 5 and on Del. State's page on Oct. 3. As of now, Wagner's playing Bryant on Oct. 3 and Del St's playing Florida A&M on Sep. 5, so barring some official changes, the game couldn't happen on either of those days.

Seawolf97
February 18th, 2009, 08:21 PM
^come to bryant so we can drop SCSU, you owe us a return at some point :D

Hopefully we will get up there one of these days. . Im interested to see StonyBrooks schedule this year .

JMG1MON
February 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Folks, while I appreciate the optimism, I am not at all confident Monmouth will beat either Colgate or Coastal. Coastal destroyed us last year. Game was only 26-7 I think and it wasn't that close. We will be breaking in a brand new starting quarterback as well.

aceinthehole
February 19th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Folks, while I appreciate the optimism, I am not at all confident Monmouth will beat either Colgate or Coastal. Coastal destroyed us last year. Game was only 26-7 I think and it wasn't that close. We will be breaking in a brand new starting quarterback as well.

That will certainly hurt. Monmouth has earned respect from NEC and non-NEC fans for their results the past few years. Its a pretty solid program over there.

If it is a rebuilding year and a new QB in W. Long Branch, then these road games look much harder for you guys. In any case a good schedule for the Hawks.

danefan
February 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM
That will certainly hurt. Monmouth has earned respect from NEC and non-NEC fans for their results the past few years. Its a pretty solid program over there.

If it is a rebuilding year and a new QB in W. Long Branch, then these road games look much harder for you guys. In any case a good schedule for the Hawks.

Agreed. Losing Sinisi can't help either.

Could be a tough year for the Hawks.

Cobblestone
February 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Bryant - 10/10 at Fordham (PL)

Big step up for Bryant. Fordham on the road will be one tough game. I'm glad to see the program is headed in right direction.

danefan
February 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Big step up for Bryant. Fordham on the road will be one tough game. I'm glad to see the program is headed in right direction.

I think Bryant might have a chance to be in this game.
I think Fordham's win over URI was a total fluke last year.

This game could be the type of program-defining victory. Every program needs one to get started. Albany's wins over Lehigh and Delaware. CCSU's win over Colgate and Georgia Southern. Wins like that do tremendous things for recruiting.

Dane96
February 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I agree. And though i am not longing to stay in the NEC...the addition of Bryant has been something of a blessing because I think it really gives strength to the top of the league...and in turn making this a deeper league as I forsee 3-5 teams each year being legit contenders for the playoff bid.

dgreco
February 19th, 2009, 09:41 AM

I am really excited that we have Hofstra at home. I will be finished in my masters by the august so will be back in time for football season. Hopefully with a job though :D

I think Fordham is a game if they win its a nice stepping stone and I think for the fans it will be exciting to see a Hofstra come to Bryant. A lot of Bryant kids apply to Hofstra or are from Long Island so it will be a big turnout.

LUHawker
February 19th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I think CCSU performance vs. AQ conferences since 2005 shows this will be a tough game.

9/3/05 - W, 24-22 at Colgate (won the PL that year and went to the playoffs)
9/10/05 - L, 56-10 vs URI (also beat Fordham, W&M, and Villanova that year)
9/9/06 - W, 17-13 at Georgia Southern (1 year removed from the playoffs)
8/30/07 - L, 20-10 at Towson
9/6/08 - W, 28-10 at Delaware State (1 year removed from the playoffs)

CCSU is 3-2 vs AQ conference teams in the past 4 seasons and won all 3 games on the road. Central is 0-2 vs the CAA in that time, hence the prediction of W&M as a favorite.

In the past 4 seasons, LU also has 3 wins vs non-conference AQ conference teams (VMI twice and Villanova). Not to mention, Lehigh is 1-1 vs. the NEC (win vs. Monmouth, Loss vs. Albany) during this period.

The fact you said Lehigh won't lose, implies this is a gimmie for the Hawks. Nothing is farther from the truth. It should be a toss up.

I'm not downplaying or ignoring that this should be a very competitive game. I was taking some issue with danefan's characterization that it is a "toss up, at best".

As for me stating that Lehigh won't lose and you should mark it down in no way implied it is a gimme. You inferred that. I am just much more optimistic and confident in the upcoming season than in the past 3 or so. I stated it once already, but it's in Bethlehem, which is an advantage.

LUHawker
February 19th, 2009, 10:59 AM
The Patriot League, like the Ivy league, has an overinflated reputation, as compared to the NEC, in my opinion.

Who exactly advances this idea of an overinflated PL reputation vis-a-vis the NEC? Not I and I don't think any of the regular PL posters here do. In fact, I think most of us PLers have been pretty humble the past few years. Mediocre performance tends to do that.

danefan
February 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Who exactly advances this idea of an overinflated PL reputation vis-a-vis the NEC? Not I and I don't think any of the regular PL posters here do. In fact, I think most of us PLers have been pretty humble the past few years. Mediocre performance tends to do that.

You are right - not the regular PL fans.

But it is definitely still present amonst other fans and poll voters.

JMG1MON
February 19th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Dane, Sinisi is back. This will be his final season!!

danefan
February 19th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Dane, Sinisi is back. This will be his final season!!

My mistake. I thought he was a senior! Wow, looks like a 2-horse race for POY again!

The NEC should start the season with two pre-season all-american RB's and Payton List members.xthumbsupx

WWII
February 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Does he (Sinisi) have a year left? The 2008 roster listed him as a Sr.

Uncle Buck
February 19th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I am really excited that we have Hofstra at home. I will be finished in my masters by the august so will be back in time for football season. Hopefully with a job though :D

I think Fordham is a game if they win its a nice stepping stone and I think for the fans it will be exciting to see a Hofstra come to Bryant. A lot of Bryant kids apply to Hofstra or are from Long Island so it will be a big turnout.

I'm looking forward to coming up for the game as well. I'd rather have it as an extra home tilt, but that's life. I remember when we moved up and would play anyone anywhere. Teams with something to prove are always dangerous. Cohen better have our kids ready to play. I'm sure Gigantino will have the Bryant defense ready to go.

seahawkfan2007
February 20th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Delaware St. on the road is a definite step in the right direction for Wagner. Marist is likely (at home) leaving one more opponent (it was supposed to be Iona). Really hoping it's not a D2 or D3.

rmutv
February 20th, 2009, 07:18 PM
With two road games against VMI and Bucknell, coupled with a home game against Bryant, you can be relatively sure that the Colonials will want a home game as their other non-conference game.

Likely Dayton, but they may try and procure a team along the lines of Stony Brook, Towson, or another Pennsylvania based PL/Ivy league team. Try and limit travel while playing against an AQ conference team.

Seawolf97
February 20th, 2009, 08:05 PM
With two road games against VMI and Bucknell, coupled with a home game against Bryant, you can be relatively sure that the Colonials will want a home game as their other non-conference game.

Likely Dayton, but they may try and procure a team along the lines of Stony Brook, Towson, or another Pennsylvania based PL/Ivy league team. Try and limit travel while playing against an AQ conference team.

Would be glad to have you back on Long Island ! Im not sure if we filled the date left by Iona which was to be home game for us.

JMG1MON
February 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM
MU's website never has the eligibility correct. Sinisi was a redshirt junior last season.

aceinthehole
February 24th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Updated (Feb. 24)

Confirmed
Sacred Heart – 9//5 vs Marist (Pioneer), 9/12 at Holy Cross (PL)

TBA
Albany – (1 game)
Duquesne – (1 game) possible return game at Dayton (Pioneer)
Robert Morris – (1 game) possible return game vs. Dayton (Pioneer)
Sacred Heart – (1 games)
Saint Francis – (1 game)
Wagner – (2 games)

Albany, SHU, SFPA, and Wagner still have opening(s) that I can't account for.

Bryant - 8 NEC opponents plus - 9/5 vs. Southern Conn (D-II), 9/12 vs. Hofstra (CAA), 10/10 at Fordham (PL)

UNHWildCats
February 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM

The Ivy League and Towson have full schedules

aceinthehole
February 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Updated (Feb. 25) - Congrats to SFPA for a GREAT schedule!!!! xthumbsupx

Confirmed
Saint Francis – 9/5 at New Hampshire (CAA), 9/12 vs Morehead State (Pioneer), 9/19 at Northern Iowa (MVC)
Wagner – ???

TBA
Albany – (1 game)
Sacred Heart – (1 games)
Wagner – (3 games)

dgreco
February 25th, 2009, 03:58 PM
so if not counting Bryant NEC so far has 0 DII/III/NAIA games and counting Bryant is is 1. I am sure Wagner might have 1 or 2 and SHU might have 1, but this has to be one of the better years for the NEC.

aceinthehole
March 24th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Updated (Mar. 23) - Albany releases schedule!!!! xthumbsupx

Confirmed
Albany – 9/5 at Georgia Southern (SoCon), 9/12 at UMass (CAA), 9/19 vs Maine (CAA)
Saint Francis – 9/5 at New Hampshire (CAA), 9/12 vs Morehead State (Pioneer), 9/19 at Northern Iowa (MVC)
Wagner – ???

TBA
Sacred Heart – (1 games)
Wagner – (3 games)

mainejeff
March 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Updated (Mar. 23) - Albany releases schedule!!!! xthumbsupx 9/19 vs Maine (CAA)

Thank God!

Hopefully, Maine will host Wagner on Sept.5th to complete their schedule!

UNHWildCats
March 24th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Thank God!

Hopefully, Maine will host Wagner on Sept.5th to complete their schedule!
according to someone a few weeks ago, Wagner plays Stonehill on Sep 5

mainejeff
March 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM
according to someone a few weeks ago, Wagner plays Stonehill on Sep 5

I know........but things change. ;)

Seawolf97
March 24th, 2009, 08:27 PM
We still have one game TBA . Right now we have 10 confirmed games with open dates on
10/10 and 11/7. I thought we might have a NEC tam to play but that looks distant right now.

seahawkfan2007
March 24th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Wagner may end up playing only 10 games which by itself is bad enough. Worse yet, our OOC's as of now (aside from Bryant) are home vs. Stonehill College (D2) on September 5th and away vs. SUNY Maritime (D3) on Thurs. Sept. 10th. Kudos to the rest of the NEC and shame on Wagner. Losing the Deleware St. game was a blow but there were plenty of FCS possibilities to replace them. Go ahead and start bashing, it's well deserved!

mainejeff
March 24th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Wagner may end up playing only 10 games which by itself is bad enough. Worse yet, our OOC's as of now (aside from Bryant) are home vs. Stonehill College (D2) on September 5th and away vs. SUNY Maritime (D3) on Thurs. Sept. 10th. Kudos to the rest of the NEC and shame on Wagner. Losing the Deleware St. game was a blow but there were plenty of FCS possibilities to replace them. Go ahead and start bashing, it's well deserved!

Why won't your AD switch the Stonehill date and accept a nice little paycheck to play at Maine on Sept.5th?

seahawkfan2007
March 25th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Maine on 9/5 would be great for our program. A paycheck and some OOC schedule credibility are both needed. We could switch Stonehill to either 9/19 or 10/17 which are both open for Wagner.

UNHWildCats
March 25th, 2009, 07:22 AM
the word is North Dakota and Wagner were in dicussions to have Wagner play at North Dakota on 9/12.... kinda sad that Wagner would choose to travel to Maritime instead.

danefan
March 25th, 2009, 07:24 AM
the word is North Dakota and Wagner were in dicussions to have Wagner play at North Dakota on 9/12.... kinda sad that Wagner would choose to travel to Maritime instead.

And you wonder why Albany fans want so desperately to be out of the NEC .

UNHWildCats
March 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM
its not so bad, Wagner so far is the only team to schedule a non Div I opponent... thats pretty good

danefan
March 25th, 2009, 07:35 AM
its not so bad, Wagner so far is the only team to schedule a non Div I opponent... thats pretty good

Better than before but not good. Its the mentality of these schools that bothers us. Wagner has no business playing at a DIII school. You get stuck playing a DIII because of a scheduling mishap - that's forgiveable. But what in the world would possess the Wagner AD to call up a DIII AD and say "Would you like to play, we know we are Division I and you are a bad DIII school, but we'll gladly come to you."

That makes no sense and its an embarrasment to the NEC teams that are trying to compete on a national level.

UNHWildCats
March 25th, 2009, 07:38 AM
agreed, though it could be worse, you could be in the Pioneer where teams start this season

Albion
at Franklin
Hanover

lol

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 07:53 AM
My only xeyebrowx. Is it worth playing all those teams if they are all away?

UAalum72
March 25th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I'm sure they'd all be willing to host Delaware if they'd travel.

bobcat7
March 25th, 2009, 08:33 AM
We still have one game TBA . Right now we have 10 confirmed games with open dates on
10/10 and 11/7. I thought we might have a NEC tam to play but that looks distant right now.

Duquesne on November 7 would seem an interesting first-time matchup.xpopcornx

danefan
March 25th, 2009, 09:47 AM

An emphatic Yes.

Considering that the alternative is playing PFL, DII and DIII schools at home.

Sure you need to build a fan base, but you need to put a superior product on the field first.

Albany has built a very solid program and has done so playing mostly away OOC games. Kids want to play at Delaware, Montana, GSU, etc.... They want to play in front of 25,000 people. The only way you are going to do that in the NEC (or most FCS conferences) is if you are willing to travel. It has helped recruiting at Albany tremendously. The next piece of the puzzle is a new stadium, which we should know more about in the next few weeks. xthumbsupx

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 09:52 AM
An emphatic Yes.

Considering that the alternative is playing PFL, DII and DIII schools at home.

Sure you need to build a fan base, but you need to put a superior product on the field first.

Albany has built a very solid program and has done so playing mostly away OOC games.
Don't get me wrong, I like the direction that Albany and CCSU have gone, but has it resulted in anything? Plans for a new stadium? Increased attendance? Increased donations?... These aren't rhetorical, I don't know the answers to them. xpeacex

DetroitFlyer
March 25th, 2009, 09:55 AM
agreed, though it could be worse, you could be in the Pioneer where teams start this season

Albion
at Franklin
Hanover

lol

Says the FBS wannabee....

DetroitFlyer
March 25th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like the direction that Albany and CCSU have gone, but has it resulted in anything? Plans for a new stadium? Increased attendance? Increased donations?... These aren't rhetorical, I don't know the answers to them. xpeacex

Well, the NEC did finally win the Gridiron Classic last year.... I'm not certain that Albany or CCSU have really gained much in support for the programs yet.... Now, once they start getting playoff bids, maybe.... The truth of the matter is, the average fan of either program does not know or care that Albany is playing Delaware or Indiana University of PA. Now, get up to 57 atheltic scholarships and play a Rutgers, Army, Penn State, etc., enough times, and MAYBE the fan interest begins to increase. Time will tell....

danefan
March 25th, 2009, 10:44 AM

I can speak about Albany:

Plans for a new stadium - yes
Increased attendance - yes but hindered by a horrendous "stadium"
Increased donations - absolutely (also increased alumni participation)

On the stadium front - we are waiting on the NY state budget to see if there is any funding for the stadium in it. Heery International did an enivro impact study and there was recently a public meeting held for comments. No negative comments were made by the locals, which is a good thing.

The site has been selected and a model of the stadium has actually been built and has been used for recruiting, fundraising, PR, etc... Unfortunately no pictures of the model have found their way onto the website, despite many requests. I was also informed that "fly-throughs" and promotional DVD's are being finalized and should be ready and available very shortly. Those are all positive steps.

There is however an uncertainty about funding. The plans call for a $65 million project. I have seen speculation that the stadium itself will cost ~$40 million. The additional $25 million is for upgrades to other facilities that will tie into the stadium. There are a lot of very wealthy alumns sitting on the sidelines right now just waiting for some positive news. If the state would give any money ($20 million or so) I think the rest could be raised privately. A portion has already been raised. But its all speculation.

aceinthehole
March 25th, 2009, 12:23 PM

When Delaware agrees to travel to New Britain, then you can ask that question!

Are you serious?!?!? What choice does CCSU and Albany have if no one will return a home game? Aren't you part of the group that just 4 years ago, said NEC teams need to "play up." What do you suggest we do?

CCSU has gone on record and said they will play anyone, anywhere!!!! That's more than I can say about a lot of other teams who care more about the number of home games.

What Ivy team is going to travel to a NEC program? How many CAA or PL teams are willing to take the bus ride to a NEC school?

Albany came down and WON at the Tub! CCSU has left games at Colgate, Georgia Southern, and Delaware State with wins! I'd say both teams are doing things the only way we can.

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
When Delaware agrees to travel to New Britain, then you can ask that question!

Are you serious?!?!? What choice does CCSU and Albany have if no one will return a home game? Aren't you part of the group that just 4 years ago, said NEC teams need to "play up." What do you suggest we do?

CCSU has gone on record and said they will play anyone, anywhere!!!! That's more than I can say about a lot of other teams who care more about the number of home games.

What Ivy team is going to travel to a NEC program? How many CAA or PL teams are willing to take the bus ride to a NEC school?

Albany came down and WON at the Tub! CCSU has left games at Colgate, Georgia Southern, and Delaware State with wins! I'd say both teams are doing things the only way we can.
You're morphing two different arguements. The "play up" is to get an at-large bid for the playoffs. The question of not having any home games relates to building a program and fan support. danefan is saying this approach is working for Albany. Is it working for CCSU? Again, these weren't rhetorical questions. I'm asking for your opinion as an alum and fan.... does playing an all-away OOC slate help your program?

BTW, Delaware not coming to New Britain or Albany has nothing to do with anything. They are the anomoly in the CAA at 22,000 fans per game. JMU is getting closer, but all other CAA teams average less than half of that. They might be willing to come. DelSt got UMass, SIU and NWSt all to come to Dover averaging less than 5,000 fans. xpeacex

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I can speak about Albany:

Plans for a new stadium - yes
Increased attendance - yes but hindered by a horrendous "stadium"
Increased donations - absolutely (also increased alumni participation)

On the stadium front - we are waiting on the NY state budget to see if there is any funding for the stadium in it.
Good to hear, except for the part of waiting for any funds from any state budget. xoopsx

aceinthehole
March 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
You're morphing two different arguements. The "play up" is to get an at-large bid for the playoffs. The question of not having any home games relates to building a program and fan support. danefan is saying this approach is working for Albany. Is it working for CCSU? Again, these weren't rhetorical questions. I'm asking for your opinion as an alum and fan.... does playing an all-away OOC slate help your program?

BTW, Delaware not coming to New Britain or Albany has nothing to do with anything. They are the anomoly in the CAA at 22,000 fans per game. JMU is getting closer, but most other CAA teams average less than half of that. They might be willing to come. xpeacex

In that sense of the question, yes it is working at CCSU.

- CCSU is upgrading and expanding its football stadium. I'm not excited about the design I've seen on paper, but its an investment. Its not going to be great or very big, but it should be comparable with facilities at NU, UNH, URI, etc.

- Attendance is growing. Again, the numbers are not great when compared to UD, but we can draw close to what Maine, URI, or NU does for a home game.

- We set the NEC home attendence record (off campus, municipal stadium) for a "classic" with NCCU that featured their marching band and was sponsored by the Connecticut NAACP.

- We have an active and supportive football bosters, which includes 2 former NFL head coaches (Campo and Sherman), a NFL GM (Pioli), as well as some I-A coaches (Addiazo).

- We now have select games on commercial radio in Hartford and New Haven (ESPN Radio).

- We are the only NEC team (and few of the non-counters) to play a I-A opponent (@ Western Mich).

I'd say we are in a great position.

dgreco
March 25th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Bryant got a home CAA game in its first "counting year" so I know it is hard to get games, but obviously they are attainable.

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 02:26 PM
In that sense of the question, yes it is working at CCSU.
That's great to hear. CCSU really led the charge in the NEC. You guys were playing CAA teams as long as I can remember. I'm glad Albany followed your example. xthumbsupx

Dane96
March 25th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Ummm...other way around. Albany started the trend-- CCSU had the first big win, however.

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Ummm...other way around. Albany started the trend-- CCSU had the first big win, however.
xeyebrowx Looking back you did beat them by a year. Albany started playing better teams in 2000 and CCSU in 2001. Maybe it was that there were no Albany posters on AOL back then. xsmiley_wix

aceinthehole
March 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Technically, CCSU was playing "up" games vs. Yankee Conference foes way back in their D-II days while Albany was still D-III.

CCSU played:
UConn in 1986, 1989, and 1995.
Northeastern 11 times between 1974-1988.
Villanova in home/home in 1985-86.
Maine 7 times between 1973 and 1986.
New Hampshire in a home/home from 1975-1978.

CCSU returned to playing some "up" games under HC Paul Schudel in 2001.
2001 - at Lehigh
2002 - at UMass, at Maine
2003 - at UNH, at UMass
etc., etc.

Albany did play Northeastern in 2000, before CCSU resumed "playing up" uin the NEC. However, I would say Albany and CCSU have both done an equally great job at scheduling since 2001. Albany has been more aggressive in some seasons, but I think his point was CCSU had a previous reputation (before the NEC, as a D-II Indy) in scheduling "up."

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Technically, CCSU was playing "up" games vs. Yankee Conference foes way back in their D-II days while Albany was still D-III.

CCSU played:
UConn in 1986, 1989, and 1995.
Northeastern 11 times between 1974-1
Villanova in home/home in 1985-86.988.
Maine 7 times between 1973 and 1986.
New Hampshire in a home/home from 1975-1978.

CCSU returned to playing some "up" games under HC Paul Schudel in 2001.
2001 - at Lehigh
2002 - at UMass, at Maine
2003 - at UNH, at UMass
etc., etc.
A-HA! So I'm not crazy (still up for debate). I thought CCSU had been playing the NE teams for a while. xthumbsupx

Dane96
March 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Albany did play Northeastern in 2000, before CCSU resumed "playing up" uin the NEC. However, I would say Albany and CCSU have both done an equally great job at scheduling since 2001. Albany has been more aggressive in some seasons, but I think his point was CCSU had a previous reputation (before the NEC, as a D-II Indy) in scheduling "up."

I would agree with that. Bottom line-- Albany, CCSU, and Monmouth more recently, have been the standard bearers in this conference...and some have seriously been in DIII la-la land.

aceinthehole
March 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I would agree with that. Bottom line-- Albany, CCSU, and Monmouth more recently, have been the standard bearers in this conference...and some have seriously been in DIII la-la land.

I second that!

Seawolf97
March 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Duquesne on November 7 would seem an interesting first-time matchup.xpopcornx

That would be an interesting matchup.

aceinthehole
April 2nd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Updated (Apr. 2) - Duquense releases schedule!!!! xthumbsupx

Confirmed
Albany – 9/5 at Georgia Southern (SoCon), 9/12 at UMass (CAA), 9/19 vs Maine (CAA)
Duquesne – 9/5 vs. Bucknell (PL), 9/12 at Nichols State (SLC), 9/26 at Dayton (Pioneer)
Robert Morris – 9/5 at VMI (Big South), 9/12 at Bucknell (PL),
Sacred Heart – 9/5 vs Marist (Pioneer), 9/12 at Holy Cross (PL)
Wagner – 9/5 vs Stonehill (D-II), 9/10 at NY Maritime (D-III)

TBA
Sacred Heart – (1 game)

danefan
April 2nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Good improvement on the scheduling league wide (sans Wagner of course).

This should really help the computer rankings as SOS will increase for all teams. We just need some of the top tier teams to win some of the OOC games.

I can see wins for
Albany - should be in the game for all 3
CCSU - Lehigh and Colombia are possible
Duquesne - bucknell and dayton should be wins
Monmouth - All possible wins
RMU - both possible wins
SHU - should be at Marist, unlikely against HC
SFU - hopefully they win any games this year (Morehead is a good start)
Wagner - if they lose any OOC game they should be immediately removed from the NEC.

DetroitFlyer
April 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Good improvement on the scheduling league wide (sans Wagner of course).

This should really help the computer rankings as SOS will increase for all teams. We just need some of the top tier teams to win some of the OOC games.

I can see wins for
Albany - should be in the game for all 3
CCSU - Lehigh and Colombia are possible
Duquesne - bucknell and dayton should be wins
Monmouth - All possible wins
RMU - both possible wins
SHU - should be at Marist, unlikely against HC
SFU - hopefully they win any games this year (Morehead is a good start)
Wagner - if they lose any OOC game they should be immediately removed from the NEC.

Pretty cavalier in predicting a Duquesne win over the Flyers at Welcome Stadium. Dayton should have a MUCH improved QB this season, and our defense remains largely in tact. I predict a fairly easy win for the Flyers over the Dukes this year. If we play Robert Morris, mark my words, Dayton will not lose to Robert Morris, even in Pittsburgh!

danefan
April 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Pretty cavalier in predicting a Duquesne win over the Flyers at Welcome Stadium. Dayton should have a MUCH improved QB this season, and our defense remains largely in tact. I predict a fairly easy win for the Flyers over the Dukes this year. If we play Robert Morris, mark my words, Dayton will not lose to Robert Morris, even in Pittsburgh!

I'm saying they should be wins. Dayton lost at Duquesne last year. A fairly easy win?

Dayton has put together some good teams in recent years, but I believe last year was the breaking out year for the NEC versus the PFL. I don't see the NEC looking back now. But you never know.

GannonFan
April 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Said it in the other thread, but the NEC certainly gets props for putting together quality OOC schedules as of late. I know they'll be getting the autobid in '10, but with their schedules they've already had teams that, if they had won more, would have been certain at large bids with the schedules they are playing. Kudos to the NEC. xthumbsupx

dgreco
April 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
no Bryant love.

DetroitFlyer
April 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
I'm saying they should be wins. Dayton lost at Duquesne last year. A fairly easy win?

Dayton has put together some good teams in recent years, but I believe last year was the breaking out year for the NEC versus the PFL. I don't see the NEC looking back now. But you never know.

We lost at Duquesne last year due to exceptionally poor QB play and some really poor play calling. As the season progressed, Rob Florian became a very good QB, until he broke his thumb at San Diego. We lost at home to Morehead State because of poor QB play and an unwillingness by the coaches to play our best QB at the time, Jeff Pechan. I still do not know what happened, but Jeff fell out of favor with the coaches and we struggled.... We would have easily defeated JU if we had any consistent QB play.... Rob played with his broken thumb and he just could not get it done.... Jeff watched the whole debacle from the sidelines....

Jeff Pechan, (I hope), and highly touted recruit Timmy Fogerty should battle for the QB spot this year. Both have amazing arms and very good running ability. Timmy was being recruited by Big 10 schools before an injury his senior year. He redshirted lst year, but he traveled with the team. On defense, we lose all everything Scott Vossler, but the rest of our excellent defensive line is back. There are, as always a couple of wild cards that could really improve the team on both sides if they work out....

I expect the dukes to be better than last year, but they will play a Dayton team with an improved offense and a defense that will once again rank atop all of FCS....

I never see a day when the top of the PFL is far behind any FCS team or conference....

aceinthehole
April 20th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Updated (Apr. 20) - RMU releases schedule and Wagner adds a game vs. a scholarship program! xthumbsupx

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/237968/

-----

Confirmed
Duquesne – 9/5 vs. Bucknell (PL), 9/12 at Nichols State (SLC), 9/26 at Dayton (Pioneer)
Robert Morris – 9/5 at VMI (Big South), 9/12 at Bucknell (PL), 9/19 vs. Dayton (Pioneer)
Sacred Heart – 9/5 vs Marist (Pioneer), 9/12 at Holy Cross (PL)
Wagner – 9/5 vs Stonehill (D-II), 9/10 at NY Maritime (D-III), 9/19 at North Dakota State (MVC)

TBA
Sacred Heart – (1 game)

aceinthehole
April 20th, 2009, 06:02 PM
9 NEC teams (including Bryant) x 3 openings each = 27 non-conference games

2009 NEC vs Conferences:

6 vs PL*
5 vs CAA*
4 vs Pioneer
2 vs MVC*
2 vs Big South
1 vs SoCon*
1 vs Southland*
1 vs Ivy
1 vs Indy
---
2 vs D-II
1 vs D-III

* denotes AQ conference

(Sacred Heart still has 1 opening to schedule)

- So far, 15 of the 26 games scheduled (58%) are vs. AQ opponents.
- All 9 NEC teams, have at least 1 AQ opponent.
- 5 of 9 NEC teams (56%), have at least 2 AQ opponents.
- 7 of the 9 NEC teams (78%), play only D-I opponents.
- 3 of the 26 games scheduled (12%) are vs non D-I opponents.

seahawkfan2007
April 21st, 2009, 07:44 AM
I for one am really pleased to see NDSU on our schedule.

TexasTerror
April 21st, 2009, 08:21 AM
9 NEC teams (including Bryant) x 3 openings each = 27 non-conference games

2009 NEC vs Conferences:

6 vs PL*
5 vs CAA*
4 vs Pioneer
2 vs MVC*
2 vs Big South
1 vs SoCon*
1 vs Southland*
1 vs Ivy
1 vs Indy
---
2 vs D-II
1 vs D-III

* denotes AQ conference

(Sacred Heart still has 1 opening to schedule)

- So far, 15 of the 26 games scheduled (58%) are vs. AQ opponents.
- All 9 NEC teams, have at least 1 AQ opponent.
- 5 of 9 NEC teams (56%), have at least 2 AQ opponents.
- 7 of the 9 NEC teams (78%), play only D-I opponents.
- 3 of the 26 games scheduled (12%) are vs non D-I opponents.

NEC has updated the slates...now it's time to see if they can get a few more 'W's. Great information! Thanks for posting...

Would be nice if the Pioneer League upgraded their slates a bit.

danefan
April 21st, 2009, 08:38 AM
NEC SOS should be much higher this year. That should help with the computer rankings. It should be interesting to see whether the NEC can jump some of the other mid-level FCS conferences.

Husky Alum
April 21st, 2009, 08:41 AM

If you can make the trip to Fargo - GO.

The Bison fans were fantastic to me when I made the trip a couple of years ago when NU played there.

Now, there's a natural tie between NU and NDSU because Rocky Hager coached there for a while, but I've got to believe the hospitality demonstrated by the NDSU fans purely wasn't out of respect to Coach Hager.

I tell the story that I arrived in Fargo with $200 in my pocket and I left with $195 because the NDSU fans were simply fantastic to me.

Seahawks Fan
April 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM

Me too. Next I'd like to see some of the local rivalries with Fordham, Columbia and Hofstra.

Seawolf97
April 21st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Me too. Next I'd like to see some of the local rivalries with Fordham, Columbia and Hofstra.

You should at least have a home and away with Columbia or Fordham every year.

aceinthehole
April 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM

According to Cornell, Wagner has a 2-year home and home with the Big Red starting next year on Staten Island.

http://www.cornellbigred.com/schedule.aspx?path=football&schedule=427
Sep 18, 2010 - Cornell at Wagner
Oct 1, 2011 - Wagner at Cornell

It would be great to see Wagner rotate games with Cornell, Columbia, Fordham, and Hofstra. Stony Brook and Colgate should be in the mix too.

danefan
April 22nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Just looking this over.....

Every NEC team except Wagner and Sacred Heart (not counting Bryant) can qualify for the Conditional AQ. Last year only Albany, Central Ct. and Monmouth could have qualified. Great step for the NEC.

EDIT: UAalumn72 pointed out to me that the above statement is incorrect. Monmouth and RMU can't be eligible this year either as the games against the Big South teams and ODU don't count. Still strong schedules.

DFW HOYA
April 22nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
NEC SOS should be much higher this year. That should help with the computer rankings. It should be interesting to see whether the NEC can jump some of the other mid-level FCS conferences.

So how soon before the NEC passes the PL in the rankings?

danefan
April 22nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
So how soon before the NEC passes the PL in the rankings?

It all depends on how soon people stop overrating the PL's OOC schedule (aka the Ivy League).

LUHawker
April 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
It all depends on how soon people stop overrating the PL's OOC schedule (aka the Ivy League).

Exactly who overrates the PL's OOC? Last I checked, the PL hardly had a stellar rep for its OOC schedule in general. I think your comment is way off base.

danefan
April 22nd, 2009, 12:57 PM
Exactly who overrates the PL's OOC? Last I checked, the PL hardly had a stellar rep for its OOC schedule in general. I think your comment is way off base.

Far from off-base. The only reason the PL stays high in the computer rankings is because the Ivy league is high.

The Ivy League is highly overrated. They play no one but themselves and the PL. The PL rarely plays anyone but themselves and the Ivy League.

hebmskebm
April 22nd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Generally speaking, I think (hope?) that there will be more PL/CAA OOC games in the future for the NEC. There are too many teams within driving distance of one another for those kinds of games not to happen more often. Given the need to cut costs nowadays, it just makes sense, especially given the games would count as D1 wins towards the playoffs.

danefan
April 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM

Far from off-base. The only reason the PL stays high in the computer rankings is because the Ivy league is high.

The Ivy League is highly overrated. They play no one but themselves and the PL. The PL rarely plays anyone but themselves and the Ivy League.

Just to add some substance.

2008 PL OOC wins other than the Ivy League:

Bucknell over Duquesne & RMU
Colgate over Coastal Carolina
Fordham over Rhode Island
G'Town over Howard and Marist
Lafayette over Marist and Liberty
Lehigh over Drake

Good wins over URI (somewhat) and Liberty.

Without the Ivy being overinflated, the Patriot League doesn't stay nearly as high. That's all I'm saying.

TexasTerror
June 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Speaking of schedules...

The NEC is dead last in FCS attendance (see below chart).

Would full scholarship football (and with it, a likely upgraded slate of home games) - could the NEC draw more fans in the stands and make more money? Would the saying "you pay more to get more" (or something along those lines) hold true?

1) SWAC
2) Southern
3) Missouri Valley
4) Big Sky
5) MEAC
6) Southland
7) IVY
8) Colonial
9) Great West
10) Ohio Valley
11) Big South
12) Patriot
13) Pioneer
14) Independents
15) Northeast

UAalum72
June 21st, 2009, 08:12 PM
Would full scholarship football (and with it, a likely upgraded slate of home games) - could the NEC draw more fans in the stands and make more money? Would the saying "you pay more to get more" (or something along those lines) hold true?

Getting home games vs. better-known teams whose fans travel better may help a little, but even though most of the NEC (except Albany) have fairly new fields, some don't have excess seating capacity or room for expansion to greatly increase attendance in a hurry.

dgreco
June 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Getting home games vs. better-known teams whose fans travel better may help a little, but even though most of the NEC (except Albany) have fairly new fields, some don't have excess seating capacity or room for expansion to greatly increase attendance in a hurry.

many NEC schools are small and not state schools or largely supported in their area. I would think Albany would be the school with the most community support... But besides that most of these schools do not have community fan bases outside the school or alum's

Dane96
June 21st, 2009, 08:31 PM
No doubt in my mind that Albany, with a new stadium and about 10 years would average a solid 12k-15k a game.

If we had decent stands now we could probably average in the 7k range. Albany, as a town, is slowly getting more local support. We have a dickweed newspaper that rides the jock of Siena (hoops)...but more locals are starting to realize they affiliate more with the middle-class state school that gives them 1 BILLION DOLLARS in local spending/jobs per year.

JMG1MON
June 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I really cannot speak on behalf of the rest of the NEC regarding attendance, but I can give you some input regarding Monmouth.

As someone else stated, like most NEC schools, we are private, so we get nothing in terms of state funding (heck, NJ public schools get practically nothing right now). Monmouth is very restricted in its ability to expand anything (academic facilities, parking lots/garages, dorms) let alone our football field. With that said, we probably could put more stands in our stadium, but it wouldn't do us any good. We are slowing improving the quality of play on the field, however, we cannot draw well.

A big reason for the attendance problem is a lack of local support. Don't get me wrong, the local support isn't bad, and is probably 1/2 of our attendance, but it isn't enough. A big detractor is that high school football is played at the same time as our games are. We also have an FBS team in the state that over the past 5 years has finally woken up after 130 years of sleep. I'm sure that is detracting from our attendance.

Now, I'm all for improving our football stadium/field, and hope that it gets done, but I do not see it happening for several years. We just finished building our new basketball arena, so football is probably not going to happen for a while. I also think our administration is sitting on their hands regarding the rest of our sports program. Our AD came out and stated, after our baseball team got knocked out in 2 games at the baseball tourney, that its about time our team wins one of these games. When asked if there was any plan to increase the scholarships that our team allows (I don't remember our current numbers) but she said something like, "that isn't in the plan at this time". So you want us to win a game, but not give us the resources to better achieve that.

BTW, for those who have never been to Monmouth, we have the baseball field, our practice field, our football field, field hockey field, and softball field, all in a row, within 0.3-0.4 of a mile of each other. It is already crammed over there, but stadium expansion could be achieved (if we built over our practice field) with some ingenuity.