PDA

View Full Version : Maine @ Syracuse Sept.26th

mainejeff
February 16th, 2009, 09:35 PM
It's now official:

http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021609aaa.html

This replaces the Florida State game that was scheduled for Sept.5th.

R3TRO
February 16th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Beat them!

JMU Newbill
February 17th, 2009, 06:55 AM
So if you are playing that game on 9/26... does that mean you now officially have an open date on 9/5?

Someone with some authority up there put in a call and get Maine to play JMU on 9/5 so we can have an effective bye week. Thanks!

Umass74
February 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Go Black Bears!

Uncle Buck
February 17th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Nice rebound get for the Black Bears. You get the cash from Fla State and are out of a sure loss. Now you get a money game with a very beatable Syracuse team. That is a winning deal if i ever heard one.

PapaBear
February 17th, 2009, 08:20 AM
So if you are playing that game on 9/26... does that mean you now officially have an open date on 9/5?

Someone with some authority up there put in a call and get Maine to play JMU on 9/5 so we can have an effective bye week. Thanks!

Much as we'd love to accommodate you (after all, our friends at Bridgeforth are always so hospitable when we visit; it's only right that we return the favor xrolleyesx) ... I'm pretty sure our priority is to find a HOME/OOC game to fill that opening date, so we can get another Night game in September, when we draw the best crowds.

Plus, we'd much rather play you in Harrisonburg in November when the weather cools down, rather than in Sauna-tember.

But thanks for the offer.

Tribe4SF
February 17th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I'd look for Maine to add Sacred Heart, or another NEC team for a September home game.

GannonFan
February 17th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Yeah, I'm sure Maine will bend over backwards just to help you guys out, even if that means playing in significant heat early in the year. xrolleyesx

As for Maine playing Syracuse, that has to be one of the best chances an FCS team has to beat an FBS team, and a BCS one at that.

Ivytalk
February 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Nice rebound get for the Black Bears. You get the cash from Fla State and are out of a sure loss. Now you get a money game with a very beatable Syracuse team. That is a winning deal if i ever heard one.

'Zactly!xthumbsupx

JMU Newbill
February 17th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Maine will bend over backwards just to help you guys out, even if that means playing in significant heat early in the year. xrolleyesx

As for Maine playing Syracuse, that has to be one of the best chances an FCS team has to beat an FBS team, and a BCS one at that.

Oh come on guys! Its Virginia! Its not THAT hot.

Besides.. its not the heat... its the humidity.

But yea... its more wishful thinking on my part than anything. Prob wont happen.

danefan
February 17th, 2009, 10:27 AM
The word this summer was that Maine was scheduled to be at Albany this year. Albany has 9/19 and 9/26 unconfirmed so far.

mainejeff
February 17th, 2009, 11:41 AM
The word this summer was that Maine was scheduled to be at Albany this year. Albany has 9/19 and 9/26 unconfirmed so far.

Looks like Maine could be at Albany on 9/19. Let's hope so.

PapaBear
February 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Looks like Maine could be at Albany on 9/19. Let's hope so.

Not according to Coach Cos. Albany next year, but not this year, he says. Could change ... but that info comes directly from him.

Still trying to find a home date for 9/5. My guess is you'll see an AWAY OOC on either 9/19 or 10/24, with a BYE on the other.

Someone mentioned St Francis in Orono on 9/5. No offense to StF... but I hope we pick up someone more challenging for Opening Day. I think players respond better to a solid opening day opponent. You beat up on a team like that, and you go into Week 2 still not really knowing what you have. (On the other hand, you let them upset you, and it could send your season on a downward spiral from which you might never recover.)

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Not according to Coach Cos. Albany next year, but not this year, he says. Could change ... but that info comes directly from him.

Still trying to find a home date for 9/5. My guess is you'll see an AWAY OOC on either 9/19 or 10/24, with a BYE on the other.

Someone mentioned St Francis in Orono on 9/5. No offense to StF... but I hope we pick up someone more challenging for Opening Day. I think players respond better to a solid opening day opponent. You beat up on a team like that, and you go into Week 2 still not really knowing what you have. (On the other hand, you let them upset you, and it could send your season on a downward spiral from which you might never recover.)

Don't worry, the Red Flash aren't coming to Orono this year. Saint Francis is at New Hampshire on 9/5.

The only NEC team (other than Albany) that has an opening that day is Sacred Heart.

danefan
February 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM

I see. Wait until our stud RB graduates and then play us.... I get it. xsmiley_wix

That sucks if true. I was looking forward to Maine at Albany this year. Well, looks like we may be travelling to Newark again.

PapaBear
February 17th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I see. Wait until our stud RB graduates and then play us.... I get it. xsmiley_wix

That sucks if true. I was looking forward to Maine at Albany this year. Well, looks like we may be travelling to Newark again.

Yeah, it would have been a much better matchup than we had with you guys a few years ago up in Portland.

On your "stud RB" ... all I can say (and I know you were kidding) is that he can't be more of a stud than the Sinisi kid from Monmouth, who we faced for two years. Kid was a player.

mainejeff
February 17th, 2009, 03:51 PM

OK......what I don't understand is WHY is scheduling an issue year after year after........xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx. I understand the 9/5 date needing to be filled due to the FSU situation........but are you telling me that they still have to schedule 2 games? xconfusedx

PapaBear
February 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
OK......what I don't understand is WHY is scheduling an issue year after year after........xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx. I understand the 9/5 date needing to be filled due to the FSU situation........but are you telling me that they still have to schedule 2 games? xconfusedx

Yeah, it looks like right now we only have nine including Syracuse, and five are away games. So we have to add at least one more at home.

I have to believe location is the key issue in scheduling. Orono is a long enough trip in September and October. Add weather to the mix in November (even though most of the threat is perceived rather than actual), and Maine becomes an even less attractive opponent.

Then there's the intangible of playing a team that will almost always give you a tough, physical game. Not that we're gonna blow people out every year. But let's face it, when teams schedule OOC games, they like to make sure at least one or two of them are pretty sure wins. Maine -- especially in Orono -- rarely meets that requirement, even when we're down.

Consider it a badge of honor. I do and I know the players do.xsmiley_wix

mainejeff
February 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Yeah, it looks like right now we only have nine including Syracuse, and five are away games. So we have to add at least one more at home.

I have to believe location is the key issue in scheduling. Orono is a long enough trip in September and October. Add weather to the mix in November (even though most of the threat is perceived rather than actual), and Maine becomes an even less attractive opponent.

Then there's the intangible of playing a team that will almost always give you a tough, physical game. Not that we're gonna blow people out every year. But let's face it, when teams schedule OOC games, they like to make sure at least one or two of them are pretty sure wins. Maine -- especially in Orono -- rarely meets that requirement, even when we're down.

Consider it a badge of honor. I do and I know the players do.xsmiley_wix

It really BUGS ME if what you say is true. xmadx Why would we be in mid-February and they STILL have 2 games to schedule for 2009?xconfusedxxsmhx By the way, November is moot (excluding Iona last season)........November OOC games are usually not an issue.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 17th, 2009, 05:29 PM

It really BUGS ME if what you say is true. xmadx Why would we be in mid-February and they STILL have 2 games to schedule for 2009?xconfusedxxsmhx By the way, November is moot (excluding Iona last season)........November OOC games are usually not an issue.

Agreed, November is usually league schedule time. It is odd that you need two games since for a long time you had the FSU game nailed down and your AD could concentrate on the other games. The FSU situation just popped up recently, but your AD rebounded nicely by getting Syracuse! BTW, beat the halibut out of them!! xnodx I heard rumors that the Orange were going to be UNH's FBS game for 2009 but they never offered a formal contract after we beat Army and made the playoffs again. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

With all the money you made from FSU, maybe you can buy a game and bring someone into Orono for a one time game? Or schedule a home and home that would otherwise be cost prohibitive? Good luck! Hope you get reasonable quality for those last two games.

aceinthehole
February 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM

We probably can't do anything this year, but I know CCSU is looking for some future home/home deals.

If Maine is willing to give Monmouth and Stony Brook return games, I have NO DOUBT that CCSU would sign up for a game in Orono in return for a game in New Britain. As recently as 1985-86 CCSU and Maine did a home and home series, although Central's last game vs. the Black Bears was a guarantee trip to Portland in 2002.