PDA

View Full Version : Big Changes to Furman's Schedule

PaladinFan
February 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Just came out in a press release. Delaware has been dropped this season and Missouri added. Two high profile FBS opponents for the Paladins. Gonna be a tough slog through this schedule.

2009 FURMAN PALADINS FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Sept. 5 Presbyterian
Sept. 12 @ Chattanooga
Sept. 19 @ Missouri
Sept. 26 @ Western Carolina
Oct. 3 Elon (Family Weekend)
Oct. 10 Open
Oct. 17 Samford (Homecoming)
Oct. 24 @ The Citadel
Oct. 31 Appalachian State
Nov. 7 @ Auburn
Nov. 14 @ Georgia Southern
Nov. 21 Wofford

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Did they explained the Delaware drop?

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM
omg...

This means there will be no CAA-SoCon games this year.xmadx

dungeonjoe
February 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM
omg...

If last year is any indication, there will be at least a few match-ups post season.

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
omg...

Well it ensures that we will remain undefeated against the Blue Chicks. I hope there is a reason other than Missouri becoming available. :o

bluehenbillk
February 16th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Wow, just saw the release. I wonder who UD will fill the 11th game with. Makes you think why UD wouldn't take the Michigan game that they were supposedly offered that DSU scheduled.

Tribe4SF
February 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Wow! Paladins will most likely need to go 6-2 conference to even be eligible for the playoffs.

Kind of leaving Delaware high and dry.

AshevilleApp2
February 16th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Just came out in a press release. Delaware has been dropped this season and Missouri added. Two high profile FBS opponents for the Paladins. Gonna be a tough slog through this schedule.

2009 FURMAN PALADINS FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Sept. 5 Presbyterian
Sept. 12 @ Chattanooga
Sept. 19 @ Missouri
Sept. 26 @ Western Carolina
Oct. 3 Elon (Family Weekend)
Oct. 10 Open
Oct. 17 Samford (Homecoming)
Oct. 24 @ The Citadel
Oct. 31 Appalachian State
Nov. 7 @ Auburn
Nov. 14 @ Georgia Southern
Nov. 21 Wofford

Brutal last month.

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Wow! Paladins will most likely need to go 6-2 conference to even be eligible for the playoffs.

Kind of leaving Delaware high and dry.

I am guessing that is the situation with Delaware but hoping not. If we did that sucks big time. FU has been on the money drive lately (like most schools) . Economy has put a hole in the bank account. (two things I think, donations are down and Hollingsworth land can't be developed).

Rumor has it that Lamb has been told next year must be better. I suppose the schedule could be interpreted as a help or a hindrance. Lose to UD and you lose to an FCS. Lose to Big Mo and its expected.

I don't like the fact that we may have cancelled on UD for the money game.

mcveyrl
February 16th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I don't like the fact that we may have cancelled on UD for the money game.

You may not like it, but that's the reality of our level of football. Like you said, if ya needs the money, ya needs the money. No other sport on Furman's campus (or any other FCS campus for that matter) can generate the kind of money in two games that the Missouri and Auburn games will generate for FU. It stinks, but it's kind of a no-brainer, IMO.

Redbirdz
February 16th, 2009, 10:51 AM
See Jacksonville State

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM
You may not like it, but that's the reality of our level of football. Like you said, if ya needs the money, ya needs the money. No other sport on Furman's campus (or any other FCS campus for that matter) can generate the kind of money in two games that the Missouri and Auburn games will generate for FU. It stinks, but it's kind of a no-brainer, IMO.

I understand. But we have a money game. Do we need to cancel a top notched FCS opponent to get another money game. xconfusedx Maybe, but it sure leaves the other school in a hard spot if we did it. :(

FCS Go!
February 16th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Where is the outrage? :D

mcveyrl
February 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I understand. But we have a money game. Do we need to cancel a top notched FCS opponent to get another money game. xconfusedx Maybe, but it sure leaves the other school in a hard spot if we did it. :(

I haven't read any stories, but did this just postpone the Delaware series? If so, you didn't leave them THAT high and dry, you helped fill their schedule another year. They've still got a few months to fill that spot.

GannonFan
February 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Navy did back out of a game in 2010 just recently so I imagine it's possible that Furman may have pushed it back to then (anyone know Furman's 2010 schedule?). If Furman did just back out of the contract without a return date that would certainly sour the relationship significantly and I wouldn't expect to ever see Furman back on the schedule, but we'll wait to see. Obviously contracts can be broken, but that doesn't mean there aren't bad feelings when they are broken.

As luck may have it, the UD/Furman game was going to be Sept 19, and according to Travis's site Del St still has a need for a game and an open spot then. Maybe that could be the long awaited regular season matchup between the Hens and the Hornets. Of course, if it goes as well as the playoff matchup of 2 years ago, it could be the last such regular season game for sometime.

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I haven't read any stories, but did this just postpone the Delaware series? If so, you didn't leave them THAT high and dry, you helped fill their schedule another year. They've still got a few months to fill that spot.

Well if I implied I knew. I didn't mean too. and if it was reasonably negotiated with UD then that is ok. I don't know the facts and I am not slamming my school. I am simply stating a position that if, and only if, it was simply cancelled without input from UD, then it is very bothersome.

Hopefully we will find out.

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Navy did back out of a game in 2010 just recently so I imagine it's possible that Furman may have pushed it back to then (anyone know Furman's 2010 schedule?). If Furman did just back out of the contract without a return date that would certainly sour the relationship significantly and I wouldn't expect to ever see Furman back on the schedule, but we'll wait to see. Obviously contracts can be broken, but that doesn't mean there aren't bad feelings when they are broken.

As luck may have it, the UD/Furman game was going to be Sept 19, and according to Travis's site Del St still has a need for a game and an open spot then. Maybe that could be the long awaited regular season matchup between the Hens and the Hornets. Of course, if it goes as well as the playoff matchup of 2 years ago, it could be the last such regular season game for sometime.

I am not certain about 2010. I know we have an FBS school and Colgate. I am not certain if the third OOC has been filled

GannonFan
February 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Certainly going to be some rumors that after Furman's close call win over the Hens at home last year that they weren't going to want to face a significantly more dangerous Hens team, in Newark, with super-stud Devlin now under center. Maybe Missouri is a better chance at a win???? :D:D:D:D:D:D:p

GannonFan
February 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I am not certain about 2010. I know we have an FBS school and Colgate. I am not certain if the third OOC has been filled

I mentioned 2010 since I know UD had a spot open up - originally UD's OOC opponents for 2010 were going to be Navy, SDSU, and West Chester - Navy had to cancel the game in 2010 due to a scheduling conflict, leaving UD with only 2 confirmed OOC games.

henfan
February 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Backing out of a home-home isn't great. Backing out of the back half of a home-home is even worse. But, hey, let's wait and see what the circumstances are before ripping FU. Maybe the game can be rescheduled. If the game can't be rescheduled anytime soon, UD will likely cash in on a sizable buyout.

Youngstown backed out of a home-home completely back in the late '90's and we ended up with a home-home with Georgia Southern. That worked out pretty well for us.

UD will find a suitable match up for 9/19, whether home or away.

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Certainly going to be some rumors that after Furman's close call win over the Hens at home last year that they weren't going to want to face a significantly more dangerous Hens team, in Newark, with super-stud Devlin now under center. Maybe Missouri is a better chance at a win???? :D:D:D:D:D:D:p

That rumor is the least of my worriesxwhistlex

Tribe4SF
February 16th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Backing out of a home-home isn't great. Backing out of the back half of a home-home is even worse. But, hey, let's wait and see what the circumstances are before ripping FU. Maybe the game can be rescheduled. If the game can't be rescheduled anytime soon, UD will likely cash in on a sizable buyout.

Youngstown backed out of a home-home completely back in the late '90's and we ended up with a home-home with Georgia Southern. That worked out pretty well for us.

Not many FCS teams with open dates on 9/19. DSU, and a few NEC teams.

mainejeff
February 16th, 2009, 11:47 AM

And possibly Maine.......I seriously doubt that Houston is on their schedule.

bluehenbillk
February 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM

I'll take DSU over a NEC team, at least you can get half-excited over a UD-DSU game.

UNHWildCats
February 16th, 2009, 11:57 AM
And possibly Maine.......I seriously doubt that Houston is on their schedule.
it was just a rumor... (I have added a rumor tag to it...) in any case its just randomly placed on Maine's schedule and nothing tying it to the 19th even if the game is a reality.

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I realize money rules, but as a fan, I am a hell of a lot less excited about playing Missouri than playing UD. I know many fans prefer the big games but I think two of the strongest programs in the history of I-AA and FCS was a pretty damn good match up.

henfan
February 16th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I realize money rules, but as a fan, I am a hell of a lot less excited about playing Missouri than playing UD. I know many fans prefer the big games but I think two of the strongest programs in the history of I-AA and FCS was a pretty damn good match up.

If the Paladins beat Mizzou, you might change your tune.xnodx

UNHWildCats
February 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Chattanooga has Sep 5 and Oct 3 open.

If Del moved their maine game to Sep 19 Delaware could plat chatty the 3rd.

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
If the Paladins beat Mizzou, you might change your tune.xnodx

The Paladins have beaten many FBS schools over the years. none as with as high a ranking as Missouri will probably have. No one was more excited than me when in the 80s FU went through South Carolina, Georgia Tech (one win, one tie) and beat NC State two years in a row. No one was more excited than me when we should have beat Pitt four years ago.

I would be very excited if we beat Mizzou. But ask me now and I would tell you honestly I would rather beat you:pxsmiley_wix

besides, we already had Auburn on the schedule. If our goal was to beat am FBS team, then we should try and schedule three of them.

HensRock
February 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Damn!
I was really looking forward to a high quality FCS opponent visiting the Tub.
Settling for DSU will suck by comparison.
I'm sure UD will want to keep that date at home, so finding a high quality replacement will be next to impossible.

apaladin
February 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Right now Furman's OOC schedule for 2010 is:
PC at home
Colgate at home
South Carolina away
Maybe we could drop PC at home and go to UD? That would still give us 5 home games.

danefan
February 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Albany has an opening on 9/19, as far as anyone knows. I had heard we were supposed to play Maine, but it hasn't been confirmed. I'd love a rematch from that horrendous showing last year.

furman94
February 16th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I dont know if I like having two FBS schools on the schedule this year, especially two powerhouses at that. I understand its all for the money, but this schedule looks to be brutal! I have faith that this team can come together and play tough; that was shown last year at VT.

In other news, Stadium Upgrades are aparently in the works for Furman, as rumored on UFFP...

"Furman is working on plans to upgrade the football stadium's fieldhouse & pressbox and is being spearheaded by a name from Furman's past… Mr. Jeff Blankenship. The concept has already been approved and the details are being worked on. . . Details should follow in the coming weeks. "

bluehenbillk
February 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Albany has an opening on 9/19, as far as anyone knows. I had heard we were supposed to play Maine, but it hasn't been confirmed. I'd love a rematch from that horrendous showing last year.

Well that makes one of us, that was a terrible (not very close) game last year.

UD77
February 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I was looking forward to the Furman game. I hope that it is only postponed.

Ud1Hens
February 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Well it looks like Furman just gave us the ol F-U. haha

Dinman31
February 16th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I am excited to see Missouri added to the schedule for 2009 and have no problem with Furman making the change. Obviously the economy played into the decision and I hear Delaware was paid a handsome fee for their trouble. Also, I was told the game would not be moved to another year.

It is a brutal schedule for FU in 2009 but these are tough times. Hopefully a 7-4 year would get them in the playoffs.

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I am excited to see Missouri added to the schedule for 2009 and have no problem with Furman making the change. Obviously the economy played into the decision and I hear Delaware was paid a handsome fee for their trouble. Also, I was told the game would not be moved to another year.

It is a brutal schedule for FU in 2009 but these are tough times. Hopefully a 7-4 year would get them in the playoffs.

Well it sounds as if the relationship between UD and FU won't be harmed too badly. At least I hope not. Thanks for the info.

Eight Legger
February 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Furman didn't want to make the playoffs this year, I guess? 7-4 will not do it, and 8-3 is a tall order.

mcveyrl
February 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Furman didn't want to make the playoffs this year, I guess? 7-4 will not do it, and 8-3 is a tall order.

Assuming they have two losses to FBS, 7-4 might do it. That would mean 6-2 in the SoCon. They would probably be the first 7-4 team and probably ahead of some 8-3 teams not in AutoBid leagues.

Still a tall order, but possible.

That's a long way off, though.

GannonFan
February 16th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Well it sounds as if the relationship between UD and FU won't be harmed too badly. At least I hope not. Thanks for the info.

Well, the past two FCS schools to back out on us were Youngstown and Lehigh, and at least with them we actually got home games in at some point before they ended things. I doubt Youngstown's been approacheded in the decade since that ended and the Lehigh guys will gladly chime in about how heavy-handed UD's been ever since Lehigh asked to end the rivalry. I wouldn't expect to see Furman on a UD schedule for quite some time. I'm sure there's no personal emnity, but I doubt UD likes to be put in a spot to fill a game on six months notice, economy or no economy. Obviously UD will be fine, we get the buyout from Furman and the likely home game against DSU or Albany or someone else who'll come to UD without the demand for a return game. Just makes it harder for the old guys in the AD department.

g-webb1994
February 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM
If FU finishes above .500 with that schedule, they should be commended, they could easily lose the last five alone.

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Well, the past two FCS schools to back out on us were Youngstown and Lehigh, and at least with them we actually got home games in at some point before they ended things. I doubt Youngstown's been approacheded in the decade since that ended and the Lehigh guys will gladly chime in about how heavy-handed UD's been ever since Lehigh asked to end the rivalry. I wouldn't expect to see Furman on a UD schedule for quite some time. I'm sure there's no personal emnity, but I doubt UD likes to be put in a spot to fill a game on six months notice, economy or no economy. Obviously UD will be fine, we get the buyout from Furman and the likely home game against DSU or Albany or someone else who'll come to UD without the demand for a return game. Just makes it harder for the old guys in the AD department.

I don't disagree. I suppose my point is if we have re-schedule it should make things a little better. But believe me, in no way do I support yanking a game because more money comes around. It may look better in the short term when times are difficult. But the harm to the credibility of the athletic department is not worth it in my humble opinion.

Besides, realizing that Furman is attempting protect the resources it has, Furman is not a poor school. I am sure its endowment has taken a beating like everyone else. But it started the year with a half of trillion for 2600 enrolled students. I would prefer to weather the economic conditions while maintaining credibility in our athletic department.

bluehenbillk
February 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM

I'd tend to agree with that. If, and I say if, FU bailed on the deal after their one home game that's not the way UD does business & you won't see another game in Greenville ever again, unless there are multiple dates in Newark first. I had lost passion for the Southern Conference but now I know who I'll be rooting against. Here's hoping Gary Pinkel forgets to take his starters out in Columbia.

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I'd tend to agree with that. If, and I say if, FU bailed on the deal after their one home game that's not the way UD does business & you won't see another game in Greenville ever again, unless there are multiple dates in Newark first. I had lost passion for the Southern Conference but now I know who I'll be rooting against. Here's hoping Gary Pinkel forgets to take his starters out in Columbia.

I would understand your dislike of FU assuming the circumstances are as we have been discussing. but your loss of passion for the Socon must have to do with your recent success against us. xrolleyesx:D

GannonFan
February 16th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I would understand your dislike of FU assuming the circumstances are as we have been discussing. but your loss of passion for the Socon must have to do with your recent success against us. xrolleyesx:D

Says the fan of the team that's running scared from Devlin and company. :p:p:p:pxlolxxlolxxlolx

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Says the fan of the team that's running scared from Devlin and company. :p:p:p:pxlolxxlolxxlolx

Hey I don't like it any better than you do. I am not a big fan of backing out of deals. But, it could be that you guys happily accepted the cash:p and are now going to play Albany. xnodx

Of Course the difference is my statement was facts. Your statement is conjecture. Our posting styles never changexlolx

IaaScribe
February 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM
http://ianguerin.com/node/1274

NOTE: Not my blog. Just something I ran across ...

GannonFan
February 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hey I don't like it any better than you do. I am not a big fan of backing out of deals. But, it could be that you guys happily accepted the cash:p and are now going to play Albany. xnodx

Of Course the difference is my statement was facts. Your statement is conjecture. Our posting styles never changexlolx

Aw come on, you guys know you're scared to death of actually having to face a QB this time - last time, without one, it was a two point game. You're not the first team to get Blue Hen phobia. Plenty of company there!! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx:p

Dinman31
February 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I don't disagree. I suppose my point is if we have re-schedule it should make things a little better. But believe me, in no way do I support yanking a game because more money comes around. It may look better in the short term when times are difficult. But the harm to the credibility of the athletic department is not worth it in my humble opinion.

Besides, realizing that Furman is attempting protect the resources it has, Furman is not a poor school. I am sure its endowment has taken a beating like everyone else. But it started the year with a half of trillion for 2600 enrolled students. I would prefer to weather the economic conditions while maintaining credibility in our athletic department.

Economic times at Furman, in the athletic department at least, are VERY tough from what I have heard. I would have been fine with making the trip to UD but I'm not going to lose any sleep about buying out the game or what UD thinks about us. We have plenty of teams in plenty of conferences willing to play FU as evidenced by the variety of teams we have played in the past. I am perfectly fine with scheduling a W&M, Richmond, Jacksonville State, Coastal, PC, Colgate, etc and regardless of what UD feels about the whole deal I don't see us making another trip up there anyway.

LUHawker
February 16th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Well, the past two FCS schools to back out on us were Youngstown and Lehigh, and at least with them we actually got home games in at some point before they ended things. I doubt Youngstown's been approacheded in the decade since that ended and the Lehigh guys will gladly chime in about how heavy-handed UD's been ever since Lehigh asked to end the rivalry.

Lehigh has a an opening on 9/19, but that would make it the 12th game for them; I don't know if that is possible this year. I can't speak to the "heavy-handed" comment, but I do know that 1) Lehigh played at UD in 2004, so I think Lehigh would consider it again and 2) UD allegedly refuses to play Lehigh in Bethlehem.

Lehigh's 6-game series with Villanova concludes in 2010 and I don't know if it's being renewed, but Delaware would be a natural replacement.

GannonFan
February 16th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Lehigh has a an opening on 9/19, but that would make it the 12th game for them; I don't know if that is possible this year. I can't speak to the "heavy-handed" comment, but I do know that 1) Lehigh played at UD in 2004, so I think Lehigh would consider it again and 2) UD allegedly refuses to play Lehigh in Bethlehem.

Lehigh's 6-game series with Villanova concludes in 2010 and I don't know if it's being renewed, but Delaware would be a natural replacement.

Yeah, Lehigh's already got 11 games booked and 12 isn't allowed this year - aren't enough weekends in between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Obviously Lehigh could be a team that Delaware would play in the future, but UD's own "heavy handedness" means that UD will very unlikely play in Bethlehem (or on the mountain outside of Bethlehem).

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Aw come on, you guys know you're scared to death of actually having to face a QB this time - last time, without one, it was a two point game. You're not the first team to get Blue Hen phobia. Plenty of company there!! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx:p

No offense Ganny but I think even with your new stellar superstar QB, I like our chances against UD as opposed to Mizzou. Shocking ain't itxeekx

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Economic times at Furman, in the athletic department at least, are VERY tough from what I have heard. I would have been fine with making the trip to UD but I'm not going to lose any sleep about buying out the game or what UD thinks about us. We have plenty of teams in plenty of conferences willing to play FU as evidenced by the variety of teams we have played in the past. I am perfectly fine with scheduling a W&M, Richmond, Jacksonville State, Coastal, PC, Colgate, etc and regardless of what UD feels about the whole deal I don't see us making another trip up there anyway.

I know the economic times are bad. Asking for money is now a full time job at FU.

One of the things I am most proud of is Furman's credibilty. We have historically succeeded at the highest level of I-AA football without sacrificing our academics. We have one of the best graduation rates in FCS and we don't create degrees for our athletes. Now that is credibility. We should do our best to maintain it in all of our dealings.

Obviously, just my humblextwocentsx

BluehenJK
February 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I am going to rip Furman. To cancel the back of a home and home series at this late a date is classless. I dont want to hear about the economy. Or that UD got paid for the change. I am sure there was language in the contract that forced. that. A university is supposed to stand for a little more than just money-grabbing. This makes Furman look like a Mickey Mouse operation. UD is now scrambling for a game now and from what I hear its pretty tough right now. I completely lost all respect for Furman after this. And hope we play you in the playoffs (which will be in Newark because you guys never sellout anyway) I used to root for Furman and thought they were a respectable program but from now on I hope you guys never win the SOCON again. Your word is supposed to mean something but Furman to me is just like the banks on Wall Street....a bunch of frauds!!!!!!!

bluehenbillk
February 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090216/SPORTS/90216045/1002

Yup, this confirms it, FU backed out of the date just last week, UD's SID called it "a bombshell".

(W)ussies, feel free to substitute that W.

GannonFan
February 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090216/SPORTS/90216045/1002

Yup, this confirms it, FU backed out of the date just last week, UD's SID called it "a bombshell".

(W)ussies, feel free to substitute that W.

Yeah, "bombshell" is a pretty strong word so it's clear how UD officials feel about it. Again, to back out of a date just 6 months from the actual date is a pretty hard way to operate - certainly allowed by contract, but not really a way to make friends and influence people. Heck, Navy backed out of a 2010 date but gave us 2 years notice.

At least from this story, if it's true that DSU wouldn't have a slot open because they already have Wagner on the schedule, that will pretty much shoot a hole in the griping that DSU's had over the year's that UD won't open the schedule to play DSU. Golden oppurtunity to finally play UD in the regular season, and they turn down the better financial payday so that they can make less money and play Wagner. That's message board fodder if I've ever seen one!

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 03:33 PM
As I said on the uffp, you can support and love your school and totally dislike a particular action. This one seems to smell pretty bad. :o

bluehenbillk
February 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM
At least from this story, if it's true that DSU wouldn't have a slot open because they already have Wagner on the schedule, that will pretty much shoot a hole in the griping that DSU's had over the year's that UD won't open the schedule to play DSU. Golden oppurtunity to finally play UD in the regular season, and they turn down the better financial payday so that they can make less money and play Wagner. That's message board fodder if I've ever seen one!

I'll admit my ignorance, I had to look it up, didn't know Wagner was a FCS team.

GoBlueHens83
February 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
This is a real shame. I was really looking forward to having Furman come to the Tub this year. Looks like we may see DSU come to the Tub instead, but who knows?

bluehenbillk
February 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
As I said on the uffp, you can support and love your school and totally dislike a particular action. This one seems to smell pretty bad. :o

Oh yea, like the nastiest franks & beans fart you've ever smelled, ewwww.

henfan
February 16th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Not so fast. Apparently, UD has only had an opening in their 2009 schedule since last week. We have no idea if they even contacted DSU to even ask for a game. It's likely that DSU lined up Wagner and Michigan before Furman pulled a fast one on UD.

We UD fans should be careful about chastizing FU for breaking a contract and then encouraging DSU to do the same to schedule us.

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Oh yea, like the nastiest franks & beans fart you've ever smelled, ewwww.

Glad you agree with mexlolx

GannonFan
February 16th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Not so fast. Apparently, UD has only had an opening in their 2009 schedule since last week. We have no idea if they even contacted DSU to even ask for a game. It's likely that DSU lined up Wagner and Michigan before Furman pulled a fast one on UD.

We UD fans should be careful about chastizing FU for breaking a contract and then encouraging DSU to do the same to schedule us.

The circumstances, you have to admit, are vastly, vastly different. Furman's sneaking out on an agreement so that they get a bigger payday (assuming they were getting nothing by coming up to Newark as it was part of a home and home). Furman's basically saying money matters most of all. And it's not like UD and Furman are long time rivals in any way. Del St, on the other hand, has peppered us with accusations of racism, bigotry, and that "anytime, anyplace" mantra for decades. When they finally get a chance (assuming they are approached) and they say no so they can make less money and play Wagner, well, like I said, that's the kind of stuff you can use for a long time. Chance to play Wagner for the first time or chance to play UD, and they go with Wagner. xwhistlex

furman94
February 16th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I am going to rip Furman. To cancel the back of a home and home series at this late a date is classless. I dont want to hear about the economy. Or that UD got paid for the change. I am sure there was language in the contract that forced. that. A university is supposed to stand for a little more than just money-grabbing. This makes Furman look like a Mickey Mouse operation. UD is now scrambling for a game now and from what I hear its pretty tough right now. I completely lost all respect for Furman after this. And hope we play you in the playoffs (which will be in Newark because you guys never sellout anyway) I used to root for Furman and thought they were a respectable program but from now on I hope you guys never win the SOCON again. Your word is supposed to mean something but Furman to me is just like the banks on Wall Street....a bunch of frauds!!!!!!!

Classless? Really? Please re-read your post before you attempt to call an institution of higher learning classless. You hope that you play us in the playoffs in Newark because Furman never sells out? Are you trying to hurt our feelings? You hope that we never win the Socon again? We are frauds for backing out of a game for economic reasons, even though we paid your losses?

Honestly. Please grow up. xoopsxxnonox

henfan
February 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Del St, on the other hand, has peppered us with accusations of racism, bigotry, and that "anytime, anyplace" mantra for decades. When they finally get a chance (assuming they are approached) and they say no so they can make less money and play Wagner, well, like I said, that's the kind of stuff you can use for a long time. Chance to play Wagner for the first time or chance to play UD, and they go with Wagner. xwhistlex

These comments are highly speculative. Knowing UD's track record with DSU, the "assuming they were approached" is a tremendous assumption.

It all starts with UD contacting DSU to express interest in a game on 9/13. Once that happens, then we can begin to judge DSU's decision to not want to break an existing contract and leave Wagner holding the bag.

Integrity with regards to contracts is a standard UD has always claimed to hold dear, if Edgar can be believe.

PaladinFan
February 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Come on, Furman is one of the class establishments on this level of football. Before you start bashing the program lets hear all the facts. It may very well be the game is postponed, not canceled. Also I'd imagine that UD is getting a nice check from Mizzou because I certainly doubt Furman would have picked up the tab.

We'll worry about Furman's playoff chances when they get here. Furman generally plays lights out against good FBS competition. I think the Paladins have as good a chance as anyone to win the SoCon in 2009.

furman94
February 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Agreed.

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Come on, Furman is one of the class establishments on this level of football. Before you start bashing the program lets hear all the facts. It may very well be the game is postponed, not canceled. Also I'd imagine that UD is getting a nice check from Mizzou because I certainly doubt Furman would have picked up the tab.

We'll worry about Furman's playoff chances when they get here. Furman generally plays lights out against good FBS competition. I think the Paladins have as good a chance as anyone to win the SoCon in 2009.

I hate doing this because then every Paladin fan thinks I am a traitor:( But if the Delaware article is to be believed (and I see know reason why it shoudb't be) UD didn't sound to pleased by the developments. Facts are Facts and I suppose we needed the money. Obviously some of the vitriol is typical of fans getting pissed by things that are out of their control, but, as a Furman Fan, I can't say that I am pleased by exercising an option to buy out a contract. Mutually agreeing that it is in both schools interest, yes. But exercising the option should be the absolute last resort. Hey, you can be a Furman fan and realize that this is not good for credibility.

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 16th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I hate doing this because then every Paladin fan thinks I am a traitor:( But if the Delaware article is to be believed (and I see know reason why it shoudb't be) UD didn't sound to pleased by the developments. Facts are Facts and I suppose we needed the money. Obviously some of the vitriol is typical of fans getting pissed by things that are out of their control, but, as a Furman Fan, I can't say that I am pleased by exercising an option to buy out a contract. Mutually agreeing that it is in both schools interest, yes. But exercising the option should be the absolute last resort. Hey, you can be a Furman fan and realize that this is not good for credibility.

Well said. xthumbsupx

If I was a Delaware fan, I'd be ticked off because of the timing. Delaware has probably already started preparing their season ticket marketing stuff.

Is Furman really this hard up for cash? Being a Private School, I would think they aren't as impacted by budget shortfalls as the state schools, no?

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Well said. xthumbsupx

If I was a Delaware fan, I'd be ticked off because of the timing. Delaware has probably already started preparing their season ticket marketing stuff.

Is Furman really this hard up for cash? Being a Private School, I would think they aren't as impacted by budget shortfalls as the state schools, no?

Not sure, like I said before our endowment at the start of the year was strong, half a billion or so ( I think I said earlier half trillionxlolx I have lost concept of money after the stimulus package.:o)

I don't know what kinda hit we have taken on investments. I know a large part of the endowment is in land that had just started to be developed and that development of course is going no where fast now. It doesn't surprise me that the first group to be hit would be the athletic department.

citdog
February 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM
vermin scum screaming poverty.......makes me laugh....

OL FU
February 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM
vermin scum screaming poverty.......makes me laugh....

We will still beat the piss poor dogsxrolleyesx

BluehenJK
February 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Institution of higher learning? I guess reneging on signed contracts is in the curriculum. You guys showed a lack of respect and selfishness in cancelling at this hour. And to say you are doing it for economic reasons to me does not fly. As an "institution of higher learning", Furman should lead by example. In doing this act, it shows that word and code mean nothing only monetary gain. In this world the only two true things you are given are your name and your word. After this, the name Furman does not mean much to me anymore as your word has proven to mean nothing. Sorry, I am calling it like it is. You Furman fans can count on having an enemy in the Blue Hen Nation. At least Georgia Southern came to Newark during our home and home with them. Go Eagles ! And anyone else in the SOCON......... BEAT FURMAN!!!!!

Reign of Terrier
February 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Institution of higher learning? I guess reneging on signed contracts is in the curriculum. You guys showed a lack of respect and selfishness in cancelling at this hour. And to say you are doing it for economic reasons to me does not fly. As an "institution of higher learning", Furman should lead by example. In doing this act, it shows that word and code mean nothing only monetary gain. In this world the only two true things you are given are your name and your word. After this, the name Furman does not mean much to me anymore as your word has proven to mean nothing. Sorry, I am calling it like it is. You Furman fans can count on having an enemy in the Blue Hen Nation. At least Georgia Southern came to Newark during our home and home with them. Go Eagles ! And anyone else in the SOCON......... BEAT FURMAN!!!!!

Ummm....thanks?

BTW Furman is the hardest college to get into in SC (slightly over C of C and Woffordxoopsx) so I could see them do something like this.

colorless raider
February 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Go get another transfer and stop whining. Go Furman!

catamount man
February 16th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Chattanooga has Sep 5 and Oct 3 open.

If Del moved their maine game to Sep 19 Delaware could plat chatty the 3rd.

UTC hosts Mars Hill College (d2) on September 5.

State Line Liquors
February 16th, 2009, 07:05 PM
This is a shame. UD/F.U. was one of the games I was looking forward to this year, particularly after a dull home schedule in 2008. If F.U. is in that poor of a financial situation in its athletics department then this is twice as embarrassing for the Paladins.

I think it'd be inappropriate to call F.U. 'classless' for something like this. It does speak rather poorly of the higher ups in the athletics department though. Amusingly, UD is also well versed in incompetent Ath Dept managment.

furman94
February 16th, 2009, 07:11 PM
You are 100% correct; this is all the fault of our lovely AD Gary Clark... maybe someday we will hire someone who cares about the program rather than the money!

furman94
February 16th, 2009, 07:14 PM
xpeacex

Wow... I must say that I am quite scared by your threats, kind sir! xlolx One more enemy won't hurt us, I can assure you that! Good day!

Go get another transfer and stop whining. Go Furman!

Haha Go Raiders! I look forward to playing you again in Greenville! xsmiley_wix

State Line Liquors
February 16th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Haha Go Raiders! I look forward to playing you again in Greenville! xsmiley_wix

So playing at Colgate is out of the question as well? xrotatehxxlolx

Sir William
February 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I am going to rip Furman....classless...money-grabbing...a Mickey Mouse operation...a bunch of frauds!!!!!!!

Let me be very clear about this...and I believe I speak for most if not all of Furman Nation:

You're upset over FU's decision to drop UD and play Mizzou. I understand. If I were in your seat, I'd probably feel the same way with equal passion. But when you insult all Furman people, as if we all had something to do with the decision...and question the integrity and quality of our alma mater...and characterize our school and its students, alumni, fan-base, etc with the terms you have used, then you cross the line.

Don't want to pull for Furman? Fine. Want everyone to beat Furman? No problem. But for you to act like a complete jacka** is beyond empathy.

I enjoyed meeting UD fans in Greenville last year...thought they were great and still do. I looked forward to the trip to Delaware this year; and just like you, I'm disappointed that it's not going to happen. Nonetheless, if you have any personal class yourself (as most UD fans do), I'm certain that you'll reconsider the intellectual and social deficiency of your ranting above.

GaSouthern
February 16th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Bobby Lamb is really going to wet the bed with this schedule coming up. xlolx

Why oh why must the big 3 insist on staying down. Not good at all for playoff chances.

g-webb1994
February 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM
The Blue Hens have a right to be upset, but Furman runs a squeaky clean program with big time academic cred. No need to trash the entire institution.

GannonFan
February 16th, 2009, 11:11 PM
The Blue Hens have a right to be upset, but Furman runs a squeaky clean program with big time academic cred. No need to trash the entire institution.

Sure, they are a classy program that pretty much screwed another classy program with very little time to correct it. What Furman has done in the past doesn't really excuse this particular action, even if it is allowed in the contract.

Ivytalk
February 17th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Sure, they are a classy program that pretty much screwed another classy program with very little time to correct it. What Furman has done in the past doesn't really excuse this particular action, even if it is allowed in the contract.

Very disappointing action by Furman. It will be hard for UD to find another opponent this late in the game.

ChickenMan
February 17th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Buzz up! NEWARK -- The University of Delaware hung a vacancy sign on its 2009 football schedule Monday, sorry and upset to be jilted by a worthy foe and left scrambling for a late replacement. xmadx

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090217/SPORTS07/902170317

OL FU
February 17th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Let me be very clear about this...and I believe I speak for most if not all of Furman Nation:

You're upset over FU's decision to drop UD and play Mizzou. I understand. If I were in your seat, I'd probably feel the same way with equal passion. But when you insult all Furman people, as if we all had something to do with the decision...and question the integrity and quality of our alma mater...and characterize our school and its students, alumni, fan-base, etc with the terms you have used, then you cross the line.

Don't want to pull for Furman? Fine. Want everyone to beat Furman? No problem. But for you to act like a complete jacka** is beyond empathy.

I enjoyed meeting UD fans in Greenville last year...thought they were great and still do. I looked forward to the trip to Delaware this year; and just like you, I'm disappointed that it's not going to happen. Nonetheless, if you have any personal class yourself (as most UD fans do), I'm certain that you'll reconsider the intellectual and social deficiency of your ranting above.

The best way to combat the lunatic fringe is to ignore them. xnodx

With that said, I am rarely disappointed by my alma mater. This is one of the times I am. Hopefully, we will not do this agailn.:o

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I understand Hen fans are upset (and rightly so).

But I lose a lot respect for some UD fans when they suggest that DSU should pull out of an agreement with Wagner, just because UD is now at the door with a game available. What hypocrisy! Some of you are using the same reasons (more money, higher profile opponent) to justify a late schedule change by DSU.

I really hope UD finds a good replacement, but it would be unfair if the buck was passed down to Wagner, who appears to be trying to schedule its first-ever game vs. fully scholly team from an AQ conference.

spdram
February 17th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Bad deal for UD, but I don't believe FU would have done something like this unless they felt they were backed into a corner with no other real options. Hopefully FU discussed this with UD so they could begin the process of replacement as soon as possible.

Did I see an article where the SoCon was having to cut back on expenses and that would have some impact on various league championships? Anybody got a link? Doesn't speak well for the southeast region -- but then most of the country is "sucking wind" right now.

Good Luck to both schools in getting through this mess with limited injury.

OL FU
February 17th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Bad deal for UD, but I don't believe FU would have done something like this unless they felt they were backed into a corner with no other real options. Hopefully FU discussed this with UD so they could begin the process of replacement as soon as possible.

Did I see an article where the SoCon was having to cut back on expenses and that would have some impact on various league championships? Anybody got a link? Doesn't speak well for the southeast region -- but then most of the country is "sucking wind" right now.

Good Luck to both schools in getting through this mess with limited injury.

Article on SoCon cuts

http://www.charleston.net/news/2009/feb/14/socon_starts_cutting_costs71756/

Jaxhen
February 17th, 2009, 08:10 AM

I agree. It is disappointing but none of us really know the whole story. Furman is a class institution and we certainly shouldn't trash the whole school and its fans because of the actions of a few administrators. I was really looking forward to the match up this year, two great schools with proud traditions. Too bad this happened.

ur2k
February 17th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Is there any payout going from Furman to UD for lost revenue for this game? Is the contract dead now or will they play next year?

ChickenMan
February 17th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Is Furman is such dire straits financially that they need break a contract in order to schedule two big money FBS games in the same year??? If that is the case.. I can understand their decision.. but if FU is not in a critical 'money' situation.. it was a classless move by a well respected university.

OL FU
February 17th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Is there any payout going from Furman to UD for lost revenue for this game? Is the contract dead now or will they play next year?

Sources, including newspaper articles posted here, say there is a buyout.

OL FU
February 17th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Is Furman is such dire straits financially that they need break a contract in order to schedule two big money FBS games in the same year??? If that is the case.. I can understand their decision.. but if FU is not in a critical 'money' situation.. it was a classless move by a well respected university.

I suppose I haven't said it well but that is my take. If it is a matter of survival ( well survival may be a little extreme) then I understand. But if it is a one year budget shortfall in the athletic department, I certainly would have preferred a different course. I know nothing of Furman's finances other than my previous comments on the endowment. I do believe the endowment is significantly locked up in non revenue producing assets (land) and the planned development of the land is on hold due to the economy. I also, know FU put in accross the board budget cuts which could be the reason for the move.

BossEagle
February 17th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Guess there really are AD's on this board xthumbsupx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56384

GannonFan
February 17th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I understand Hen fans are upset (and rightly so).

But I lose a lot respect for some UD fans when they suggest that DSU should pull out of an agreement with Wagner, just because UD is now at the door with a game available. What hypocrisy! Some of you are using the same reasons (more money, higher profile opponent) to justify a late schedule change by DSU.

I really hope UD finds a good replacement, but it would be unfair if the buck was passed down to Wagner, who appears to be trying to schedule its first-ever game vs. fully scholly team from an AQ conference.

Of course, what you're missing, is that DSU has pilloried UD for years for not playing them, and UD's AD has been particularly lambasted for not scheduling DSU, especially when he used the excuse "we don't break contracts". So apparently DSU is all fine and well calling UD racists for not breaking existing contracts, but UD can't suggest something DSU has been suggesting for decades?

As for Wagner, no one wishes them ill-will. Obviously this is a case of Furman showing bad faith in a deal and everyone is just trying to find a way to fix the damage that Furman has done. Hopefully that doesn't spread the hurt to Wagner.

89Hen
February 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Ugh. Wasn't online this weekend. This sucks. FU FU. :p

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Come on, GF! I know you're upset at Furman and DSU has begged for a game, but you flat out state here that if DSU turns down a better better payday from UD for Wagner then they have so case to ever ask UD for a game.

DSU's long-standing requests for a regular season game vs the Hens may have been reasonable or unreasonable, but it really doesn't matter in this case. You can't really EXPECT a third team (DSU) to rescue a broken agreement between 2 schools (Furman and Delaware), and screw out a fourth team (Wagner).

If that were to happen, DSU and Wagner both deserve a big cut from the Mizzo/Furman game!!!!!

bluehenbillk
February 17th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Guess there really are AD's on this board xthumbsupx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56384

The date of that post was 2/12, which according to the articles coming out of Newark is after FU & Mizzou already agreed on playing, much less made a first exploratory call.

89Hen
February 17th, 2009, 10:23 AM
DSU to UD and Wagner to Maine. Everyone's problems solved. xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM
DSU to UD and Wagner to Maine. Everyone's problems solved. xthumbsupx

So Wagner has to go North for a much tougher game vs. Maine, than a relatively short ride down the NJ Tpke and US-13 for a game they actually have a chance to compete in?

Wagner probably isn't ready for a CAA-caliber team yet. The DSU game will be their first ever game vs a I-AA scholarship and AQ conference opponent.

Baby steps, please. :)

89Hen
February 17th, 2009, 11:38 AM
So Wagner has to go North for a much tougher game vs. Maine, than a relatively short ride down the NJ Tpke and US-13 for a game they actually have a chance to compete in?

Wagner probably isn't ready for a CAA-caliber team yet. The DSU game will be their first ever game vs a I-AA scholarship and AQ conference opponent.

Baby steps, please. :)
OK, fine. Solves three teams problems and one makes out a little worse. :p

BluehenJK
February 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I love the Furman response... we are a class institution even though we went back on our word and broke a signed contract.... kind of reminds me of the financial institutions on Wall Street...we have been around for over 100 years so we are a pillar of confidence......xlolx I am sorry if you dont like my response and dont really care. But I am saying the truth and deep down all you Furman fans know it. Our hall of fame coach, Tubby Raymond was quoted as saying that he was against "prostituting his players" for the sake of money. Believe me our athl. dept has made its share of mistakes but at least our word still means something in the collegiate athletic word. Furman's word doesnt mean squat anymore, your AD has created a complete different impression of Furman football now. Trust me if this was UD doing this, UD fans would not be trying to defend this action. I always respected Furman's football and its institution as I thought they were held to a higher standard of most colleges. But this action has made you guys way more common than Furman should be. Its a sad day for Furman and for college sports.

furman94
February 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM
This "day" you speak of happened yesterday! It is done! It is not changeable. MOVE ON! :D

Thanks!

Dinman31
February 17th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I love the Furman response... we are a class institution even though we went back on our word and broke a signed contract.... kind of reminds me of the financial institutions on Wall Street...we have been around for over 100 years so we are a pillar of confidence......xlolx I am sorry if you dont like my response and dont really care. But I am saying the truth and deep down all you Furman fans know it. Our hall of fame coach, Tubby Raymond was quoted as saying that he was against "prostituting his players" for the sake of money. Believe me our athl. dept has made its share of mistakes but at least our word still means something in the collegiate athletic word. Furman's word doesnt mean squat anymore, your AD has created a complete different impression of Furman football now. Trust me if this was UD doing this, UD fans would not be trying to defend this action. I always respected Furman's football and its institution as I thought they were held to a higher standard of most colleges. But this action has made you guys way more common than Furman should be. Its a sad day for Furman and for college sports.

At no time did Furman "break" the contract. Contacts for games say that you get the game or we pay you a set amount of money. You got the money and a chance to make money off the gate from whatever game you schedule next.

I'm shocked that a school paying out of a contract because it has the opportunity to schedule a "money" game to help with University budget (wording used in Greenville News article) issues has created an 11-page discussion. It's business plain and simple. It has been done to FU before and, although I'm sure we aren't happy about having to do it to someone else, it was necessary for the athletic department and university at this time. I highly doubt it will have ANY effect on our ability to schedule games in the future nor do I suspect we will have any interest in renewing with Delaware anytime soon. It is what it is.

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
It has been done to FU before and, although I'm sure we aren't happy about having to do it to someone else, it was necessary for the athletic department and university at this time. I highly doubt it will have ANY effect on our ability to schedule games in the future nor do I suspect we will have any interest in renewing with Delaware anytime soon. It is what it is.

Please enlighten us on when Furman had a home and home series with an OOC FCS school ... and had the opponent back out in the 2nd year, after Furman had already traveled to the opponent for the 1st half of the series. In Mid-Feburary.

I'm sure it has happened also. For clarity, just let us know when.

FURMANFAN
February 17th, 2009, 08:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken didn't Richmond stab the entire CAA in the back a few years ago? And Delaware I seem to recall some pretty nasty stories regarding their treatment of DSU. Well that's not my concern. Furman did not break their word. They did not renege on a contract. They took advantage of a buyout clause contained in the contract. These are standard, boilerplate really. But if they are not, why would UD sign such an evil document to begin with? That's a poser.

FYI. A few years ago a school backed out on a home game at Furman in July. I believe to play Georgia Tech, but I'm not sure of that. Also, Furman bought out a game with SC State to take a game with UNC. This probably went unnoticed here because neither Furman or SCST cried like women.

FCS Go!
February 17th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Finally you guys are getting down to it...xpopcornx

State Line Liquors
February 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Let's take it easy on Furman and the SoCon here. Apparently they've got themselves in such short term financial trouble that they've had to dramatically scale back just about everything affiliated with advertising, promoting, or hosting events relevant to running a modern athletic conference. The changes they are making just to save the conference $120k is rather troubling. Media days and conference tournaments are one of the best ways to get sponsorship money.

Sure, it's BS to back out of a home and home after you've had your home game, and it's particularly BS to do so about a week before everyone releases their schedules for the season, but there's really nothing that can be done about it at this point. UD will get through this period just fine. It's just unfortunate that we'll probably be left with a less interesting home game. Leaves an unfavorable taste in the mouth, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

More importantly, will Furman and the SoCon be able to survive these trying financial times or will they go belly up like just about every other poorly managed business/institution.

GannonFan
February 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Is there some kind of bake sale or 50/50 drawing that we can start up for Furman athletics? Must be tough to be so down on their luck. Is there a Girl Scout group that can help them out??? xlolxxlolxxlolx

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Let's take it easy on Furman and the SoCon here. Apparently they've got themselves in such short term financial trouble that they've had to dramatically scale back just about everything affiliated with advertising, promoting, or hosting events relevant to running a modern athletic conference. The changes they are making just to save the conference $120k is rather troubling. Media days and conference tournaments are one of the best ways to get sponsorship money.

Sure, it's BS to back out of a home and home after you've had your home game, and it's particularly BS to do so about a week before everyone releases their schedules for the season, but there's really nothing that can be done about it at this point. UD will get through this period just fine. It's just unfortunate that we'll probably be left with a less interesting home game. Leaves an unfavorable taste in the mouth, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

More importantly, will Furman and the SoCon be able to survive these trying financial times or will they go belly up like just about every other poorly managed business/institution.

A lot of good questions here. More questions:

1- Did Furman ask the government for a Bailout?

2- Is Furman Athletics included anywhere in the Economic Stimulus Relief package?

ur2k
February 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM

2- Is Furman Athletics included anywhere in the Economic Stimulus Relief package?

FARP?

Furman Athletics Relief Program xrotatehx

State Line Liquors
February 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM

My understanding of parts of the stimulus package were that it was to be invested in 'shovel ready' infrastructure projects. That could work in Furman's favor given that they appear to already have dug at least a part of the hole themselves....

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 17th, 2009, 09:52 PM
My understanding of parts of the stimulus package were that it was to be invested in 'shovel ready' infrastructure projects. That could work in Furman's favor given that they appear to already have dug at least a part of the hole themselves....

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxbowx

apaladin
February 17th, 2009, 10:05 PM

A few months ago there was an article in the Greenville News about the financial health of the state colleges athletic programs. Of course SC and Clempson had huge dollars in the black while Furman was in the black by only about $200,000 if I rememeber correctly. Most others were in the red and I remember Wofford was about $300,000 in the red. Furman as a whole is not in any financial bind by any stretch of the imagination but the athletic dept is just barely in the black. Just to back up my statements here, just visit the campus and look at all the new construction. Also the Greenville News reported today the school received a record of over 4500 applicants for only 710 freshman slots.

I hate that the UD game was cancelled as it would have been a very interesting matchup but I am also excited about going to Missouri. I was hoping that FU would go to Newark another year but looks like that will not be the case. On a positive note just think if FU has to travel to UD for a future playoff game, the demand for tix would be unreal! I sincerely hope UD can quickly find a suitable replacement. I am sure they will.

CID1990
February 17th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I see you guys are on the El Cid plan.

I was alarmed to find out how many of our guys required surgery after the Florida game. It just isn't worth it.

PaladinFan
February 17th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I see you guys are on the El Cid plan.

I was alarmed to find out how many of our guys required surgery after the Florida game. It just isn't worth it.

That was a point brought up on our board. Furman's best offensive threat (RJ Webb) was lost for the season against Mars Hill. We've lost quite a few great players over the years against terrible competition.

It all comes out in the wash, I think. We've lost good players against FBS schools (see: Pitt 2004), and against bad teams. It's football. If we can get out of Blackburg VA after a game against the Hokie defense unscathed, I figure we can get out of just about anywhere.

OL FU
February 18th, 2009, 07:07 AM
:( You sign contracts to play the games. Certainly there are clauses that allow teams to back out but the purpose is to set the schedule and play the games. I think my part of the conversation has gone on long enough. I don't really want to piss off my fellow Paladins, but it is not a good thing for reputation plain and simple. If we had to do it, fine, we did it, we should take our lumps and move on. I love my country but certainly don't agree with everything it does. I love my kids, but have had to tell them on more than one occasion that they behaved poorly. I love my alma mater and have been a very good representative and advocate on this board for my school and will continue to be. But I can love my alma mater and dislike the decision and understand why others feel the same.

PaladinFan
February 18th, 2009, 07:12 AM
:( You sign contracts to play the games. Certainly there are clauses that allow teams to back out but the purpose is to set the schedule and play the games. I think my part of the conversation has gone on long enough. I don't really want to piss off my fellow Paladins, but it is not a good thing for reputation plain and simple. If we had to do it, fine, we did it, we should take our lumps and move on. I love my country but certainly don't agree with everything it does. I love my kids, but have had to tell them on more than one occasion that they behaved poorly. I love my alma mater and have been a very good representative and advocate on this board for my school and will continue to be. But I can love my alma mater and dislike the decision and understand why others feel the same.

Very true.

I'd like to hear Gary Clark's take.

OL FU
February 18th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Very true.

I'd like to hear Gary Clark's take.

xnodxxnodxxnodx

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 08:33 AM
FWIW, I don't begrudge Furman, but I did lose a little respect for their Athletic Department. Backing out in mid-Feb on the back half with a fellow top tier I-AA when you already have a I-A game next year is pretty lame. It's all of those things combined for me. I was really looking forward to seeing FU in Newark this year, so maybe it's more disappointment than anything. Now we'll get Monmouth, Wagner, DelSt.... Not really an equitable trade. :( I hope Missou pounds the Dins before handing them the check.

furman94
February 18th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Wow. That is really classy there kind sir! This has gotten out of control.

CID1990
February 19th, 2009, 12:49 PM
That was a point brought up on our board. Furman's best offensive threat (RJ Webb) was lost for the season against Mars Hill. We've lost quite a few great players over the years against terrible competition.

It all comes out in the wash, I think. We've lost good players against FBS schools (see: Pitt 2004), and against bad teams. It's football. If we can get out of Blackburg VA after a game against the Hokie defense unscathed, I figure we can get out of just about anywhere.

Of course it is possible if not likely to come out of a FBS game unscathed. My problem with the fact that El Cid has been on a suicidal scheduling kick the past several years is that we are hedging the health of our players against a paycheck. Sure, there is always the possibility of an upset, and we proved that back in the late 80s to early 90s, but I would much rather play a solid FCS schedule and figure out other creative ways to earn the money.

BDKJMU
February 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah, "bombshell" is a pretty strong word so it's clear how UD officials feel about it. Again, to back out of a date just 6 months from the actual date is a pretty hard way to operate - certainly allowed by contract, but not really a way to make friends and influence people. Heck, Navy backed out of a 2010 date but gave us 2 years notice.

UD found out about it at the end of last week. Around Feb 13-Sept 19 is 7+ months.