PDA

View Full Version : MSU gives up their pride

catbob
November 22nd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Well, you win NCAA.

According to coach Kramer, you are going to see more DIIs and lower level IAAs in Bozeman from now on. He was told they reason they were not selected over the Griz is they had one less DI loss than us, and he was not happy with that response.

And since the Sky will have 9 times next year, that leaves only two games for OOC games. He wants one mid-upper level IAA to come to Bozeman, and a DII.

He said he wants to take the selection committe out of the picture on whether or not we make the playoffs.

putter
November 22nd, 2005, 05:06 PM
Well, you win NCAA.

According to coach Kramer, you are going to see more DIIs and lower level IAAs in Bozeman from now on. He was told they reason they were not selected over the Griz is they had one less DI loss than us, and he was not happy with that response.

And since the Sky will have 9 times next year, that leaves only two games for OOC games. He wants one mid-upper level IAA to come to Bozeman, and a DII.

He said he wants to take the selection committe out of the picture on whether or not we make the playoffs.

Be careful or you will be YSU next year. The Cats played in the toughest conference, lost to Okie St by 5 and had Lafayette get in over them. :o

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Well, you win NCAA.

Next year the Big Sky will have 9 teams = 8 games in Conference, 3 OOC.

And any team can take the selection committee out the process by winning the conference outright. That should be the point of the OOC schedule, to get the team ready for Conference games. I am not sure playing a I-A money game and a D-II game (like NAU does) takes care of that.

Bronco
November 22nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Real shame...

The playoffs are fun...bought my tickets today and look forward to a great game.

Nothing like 1-AA playoffs. 13th year in a row I get to watch my team...that's fun.

Good luck to the conference champs EWU and congrats to the 1st team QB Meyer and also being named player of the year.

Go Griz and EWU

Tod
November 22nd, 2005, 05:23 PM
Well, you win NCAA.

I would play no I-A's or D-II games unless I had to. That's probably two games that don't help you at all in the playoff scenario. If you have to have at least seven D-I wins (and eight just helps that much more), why would anybody play a D-II? There's a blown shot right there. And unless you schedule Idaho or something, the I-A game is usually a loss. Hell even Idaho is good enough to beat the majority of I-AA teams.

GrizFoo
November 22nd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Win the conference out right and you have no problems with the selection committee too. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Tod
November 22nd, 2005, 05:35 PM
Win the conference out right and you have no problems with the selection committee too. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

That's true, but I'd rather make my playoff chances better by not blowing my OOC games, say two I-A's and two D-II's. OK, I know nobody does that, but I'm just exagerating a bit to make the point. If you go into conference play 4-0 or 3-1 (heck even 2-2) with two D-I victories, it's a lot better than coming in with 0 or 1.

catamount man
November 22nd, 2005, 06:44 PM
I would play no I-A's or D-II games unless I had to. That's probably two games that don't help you at all in the playoff scenario.

So THAT is what has been keeping Western Carolina out of the playoffs, huh?! ;)

Seriously,

2006 - Chowan (d2)
@Florida (I-A)

2005 - Mars Hill (d2)
@Cincinnati (I-A)

2004 - West Va.State (d2)
@Alabama (I-A)

2003 - Johnson C.Smith (d2)
@NC State, @ Duke (I-A)

2002 - West Va.Tech (d2)
@Auburn (I-A)

2001 - Mars Hill (d2)
@Louisville (I-A)

2000 - Lenoir-Rhyne (d2)
@LSU (I-A)

1999- Mars Hill (d2)
@ Maryland (I-A)

Get the picture, huh? :eek:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

November 22nd, 2005, 07:26 PM
... He was told they reason they were not selected over the Griz is they had one less DI loss than us...That's the real reason:
Sat 9/3/2005 Montana State at Oklahoma State Oklahoma State 15-10
Sat 9/17/2005 Montana State at Cal Poly Cal Poly 38-10
Sat 10/15/2005 Montana State at Portland State Portland State 44-41
Sat 11/12/2005 Montana State at Eastern Washington Eastern Washington 35-14

FOUR LOSSES plain and simple. Non-autobid four loss teams don't make the playoffs.

Coastal89
November 22nd, 2005, 07:34 PM
I would play no I-A's or D-II games unless I had to. That's probably two games that don't help you at all in the playoff scenario. If you have to have at least seven D-I wins (and eight just helps that much more), why would anybody play a D-II? There's a blown shot right there. And unless you schedule Idaho or something, the I-A game is usually a loss. Hell even Idaho is good enough to beat the majority of I-AA teams.
Tell that to Texas State.

catbob
November 22nd, 2005, 07:50 PM
That's the real reason:
Sat 9/3/2005 Montana State at Oklahoma State Oklahoma State 15-10
Sat 9/17/2005 Montana State at Cal Poly Cal Poly 38-10
Sat 10/15/2005 Montana State at Portland State Portland State 44-41
Sat 11/12/2005 Montana State at Eastern Washington Eastern Washington 35-14

FOUR LOSSES plain and simple. Non-autobid four loss teams don't make the playoffs.

Which is why we are changing it up.

It's a shame when we could schedule all DIIs for OOC, go 5-3 in conference, and get it at 8-3, which we most likely would.

Face it, the committee will take a team with unimpressive wins over a team with impressive losses.

Question : If the Cats schedule Valpo, Souther Utah, and Azusa Pacific, and go 3-0 vs them, the committee will prefer that to playing Cal Poly, Maine, and Delaware and going 2-1.

Don't read me wrong - I'm not trying to make a case for the Cats this year. I just feel some 7-4 teams, hell even some 8-3 teams (cough YSU cough) deserive to be in over some teams with better records.

Basically, strength of schedule means jack and I guess we are going to start lowering ourselves to the system instead of playing good competetion each year.

catbob
November 22nd, 2005, 07:55 PM
BAC brought up a good point on our board.

"That's actually one of the positives of the BCS system -- a team MUST have a tough schedule of they will get passed on for consideration in the bowls. The difference between teams and the end of the season is often the SOS, and playing a tough schedule is richly rewarded.

In I-AA, though, with the vast differences in the quality of conferences (see Patriot v. BSC), but selection committees that stick close to W/L records as though all games are equal, it's hard to justify lining up a tough schedule. If the system doesn't reward that behavior, it won't like happen very often."

Good point. SOS matters in IA, the only thing I like about it.

dirtbag
November 22nd, 2005, 07:56 PM
Tell that to Texas State.

Relevance? If D-IA and D-II games are irrlevant, TxState is 7-1 with the only loss in OT in a road game. That's a pretty impressive I-AA resume.

dirtbag
November 22nd, 2005, 08:03 PM
I'd love to see the NCAA legislate against playing outside of your division UNLESS you are playing a state/regional rival.

I'm sick of seeing crap like Alabama-Western Carolina, Auburn-Citadel, Oregon State-Eastern Kentucky, and Texas State-Delta State.

If Oregon wants to play Portland State, or LSU wants to play McNeese, or North Dakota State wants to play North Dakota, that's fine, but I'm sick of random teams playing solely for an easy win or a big payday.

HensRock
November 22nd, 2005, 08:03 PM
It's a shame when we could schedule all DIIs for OOC, go 5-3 in conference, and get it at 8-3, which we most likely would.

Don't read me wrong - I'm not trying to make a case for the Cats this year. I just feel some 7-4 teams, hell even some 8-3 teams (cough YSU cough) deserive to be in over some teams with better records.

Scheduling 3 D-II teams for OOC and going 5-3 in your conference is a GUARANTEED way to NOT make the playoffs. D-II wins DO NOT HELP.
Just ask your *cough* YSU *cough* friends, who went 7-3 this year (for playoff purposes). Not 8-3.

twentythreeOh4
November 22nd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Well, you win NCAA.

Good God, it's not like it was secret that 7-4 isn't good enough to get an at-large berth's into the I-AA playoffs. Did you just start following I-AA or something? In the last 12 years I can only think of ONE team that has received an at-large berth with 4 losses -- Idaho in 1995, but the Vandals had 4 victories over teams that finished in the top 20. Can anybody else think of any other 4 loss teams that have received an at-large?

In fact there is almost always 8-3 teams that get left out. It's a fact of life that it's hard to make the playoffs. And don't think that scheduling a bunch of easy games automatically gets you in. There have 8-3 teams that been left out because of weak schedules -- Idaho St. and Youngstown come to mind.

HensRock
November 22nd, 2005, 08:15 PM
Good God, it's not like it was secret that 7-4 isn't good enough to get an at-large berth's into the I-AA playoffs. Did you just start following I-AA or something?

Exactly! If the playoffs were easy to get into, they wouldn't mean so much.

siugrad99
November 22nd, 2005, 08:18 PM
Quit your cryin. 7-4 is 7-4. If you were as good as you claim you would have found a way to win atleast 1 yes thats right 1 of those 4 games. Good teams find a way to win against other good teams and MSU didn't do that 4 times so put a sock in it.

barechestcat
November 22nd, 2005, 09:47 PM
Quit your cryin. 7-4 is 7-4. If you were as good as you claim you would have found a way to win atleast 1 yes thats right 1 of those 4 games. Good teams find a way to win against other good teams and MSU didn't do that 4 times so put a sock in it.

We're not crying :mad: But, what we are saying is that if we had scheduled a team like UNION, like you did, we would have put ourselves into position to be in the playoffs like you are. So, that's what we're going to do.

siugrad99
November 22nd, 2005, 10:42 PM
actually sharing the conference championship put us in the position we are in. Or knocking off the # 1 team in the country on the road put us in the position we are in. I'm sure your schedule is full of powerhouses. We played a 1A, 1AA & a D2. No shame in that so nice try.

DaGriz
November 22nd, 2005, 10:47 PM
We played a 1A, 1AA & a D2. No shame in that so nice try.

Good luck trying to argue that one with a Cat fan.

twentythreeOh4
November 22nd, 2005, 11:03 PM
We're not crying :mad: But, what we are saying is that if we had scheduled a team like UNION, like you did, we would have put ourselves into position to be in the playoffs like you are. So, that's what we're going to do.
Oh come on, Adams St., St. Mary's, Central Washington... ring any bells? It's not like MSU hasn't played it's share of D-II's and patsies the last few years. In 2002 you played all three of those teams in the same year! Talk about a weak schedule. In fact, this is the first year MSU didn't play at least one of those teams in quite some time. So don't act like scheduling D-II schools is something MSU is being forced to do because of the playoffs. MSU has been scheduling these types of games just like everybody else.

mlbowl
November 23rd, 2005, 07:12 AM
Well, you win NCAA.

:bawling: How dare the committee choose the 8-3 co-champs :rolleyes:

Tribe4SF
November 23rd, 2005, 07:25 AM
That's true, but I'd rather make my playoff chances better by not blowing my OOC games, say two I-A's and two D-II's. OK, I know nobody does that, but I'm just exagerating a bit to make the point. If you go into conference play 4-0 or 3-1 (heck even 2-2) with two D-I victories, it's a lot better than coming in with 0 or 1.

Texas State - two D-IIs.
Appy State - two D-IAs.

If you're good, you find a way. Unless, of course, you're YSU.

catbob
November 23rd, 2005, 04:26 PM
actually sharing the conference championship put us in the position we are in. Or knocking off the # 1 team in the country on the road put us in the position we are in. I'm sure your schedule is full of powerhouses. We played a 1A, 1AA & a D2. No shame in that so nice try.

Yea, and had we played a DII, we are in the playoffs right now. That is exactly my point.

We didn't play a sure win game this year, like a lot of teams.

And I'm not saying we couldn't / shouldn't have made the playoffs this year. But we are going to make things EASIER on ourselves since the NCAA doesn't care if we do.

This debate isn't solely about MSU. It is about the NCAA and strength of schedule in relation to the selections committee. They have made it clear time and time again that wins over subdivision I schools mean as much as wins over IAA ones.

We played a hard schedule this year, and it may have been too much of a challenge, but ask most BSC fans and they will tell you MSU is a playoff calibre team.

We lost a game we should have won (PSU), and that is the main reason we are sitting at home right now. But replace Cal Poly with a DII and we are in the playoffs. So why schedule Poly?

Grizo406
November 23rd, 2005, 04:58 PM
...ask most BSC fans and they will tell you MSU is a playoff calibre team.

As a Griz fan, I agree 100%.

It's a shame the Bobcats aren't in the playoff this season. With Lulay running their offense, they would have went further than the first round, IMO.

Tod
November 23rd, 2005, 05:10 PM
Texas State - two D-IIs.
Appy State - two D-IAs.

If you're good, you find a way. Unless, of course, you're YSU.

I'm pretty sure in my example I used a combination of the two (two I-A and two D-II). But you're absolutely correct, there will always be exceptions to my little "rule". Texas State did it by winning enough games in D-I. And so did ASU. Had ASU dropped just one of those games against a I-AA, they would have been out. Had they scheduled another I-AA or two rather than the two I-A games, they'd probably be 10-1 right now. It's harder to prove the rule than show exceptions to it, unfortunately. And it's not a proven rule, either, but it seems obvious to me.

JohnStOnge
November 23rd, 2005, 07:37 PM

That's the key. Bottom line is that every team in an auto bid conference starts the season in control of its own destiny. If it leaves its destiny up to the committee, it takes its chances.

MR. CHICKEN
November 23rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
I'd love to see the NCAA legislate against playing outside of your division UNLESS you are playing a state/regional rival.

I'm sick of seeing crap like Alabama-Western Carolina, Auburn-Citadel, Oregon State-Eastern Kentucky, and Texas State-Delta State.

If Oregon wants to play Portland State, or LSU wants to play McNeese, or North Dakota State wants to play North Dakota, that's fine, but I'm sick of random teams playing solely for an easy win or a big payday.

MIGHT BE ONTA SOMETHIN' DERE DIRTBAG.........MAYBEAH...DUH DISRESPECT DAT I-AA SEEMS TA GET...IS FURTHER ENCHANCED WHEN LOWER TIER I-AA's....GET DERE LUNCH....FO' PLAYIN' BIG NAME I-A's.....ie.......FLORIDA STATE 62......CITADEL 10.....DESE SCORES....JES' LEGITAMIZE...DAT PERCEPTION.....NO ONE SEEMS TA NOTICE...WHEN UH MAINE...HANGS WHIFF NEBRASKA FO' THREE Q's...OR UH APPALACHIAN STATE EFFORT AGIN' LSU!...............:asswhip:..............AWK!