PDA

View Full Version : Texas State -No Spring Football Game

bobcatalum05
February 12th, 2009, 10:10 PM
No spring football game this year.

Have any of you guys that were having your press box worked on canceled the spring game due to the construction?

McNeese75
February 12th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I have seen Spring games called off because of injuries but not construction. But, if there is no other place to play it, I guess its all good.

I would think the game would be important in helping to create excitement for the 2009 season.

bobcatalum05
February 12th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I have seen Spring games called off because of injuries but not construction. But, if there is no other place to play it, I guess its all good.

I would think the game would be important in helping to create excitement for the 2009 season.

It is just a press box, I dont see why you need a press box to host a spring game. Can the coordinators not call the plays from the sideline?

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I am not understanding of the situation. They say no spring game due to lack of press box. They are still practicing on the field and fans can still attend practice, just sit on the other side.

If there was a serious issue with infastructure due to construction (i.e lights that could fall on someone), I'd understand. Perhaps they do not want to run a spring game without a scoreboard and all the other jazz run from the press box.

Team is still doing several scrimmages which are pretty much the exact thing as a "spring game without the amenities" if you ask me...?

http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021209aah.html

813Jag
February 13th, 2009, 06:58 AM
No spring football game this year.

Have any of you guys that were having your press box worked on canceled the spring game due to the construction?
No. They can't place fans on the opposite side?

bobcatalum05
February 13th, 2009, 08:07 AM
The east side stands are completly untouched.

Texas State Football Team Opens Spring Practice Feb.16
Bobcats will hold 15 workouts between Feb. 16 and Mar. 12

Feb. 12, 2009

San Marcos, Texas -

Coming off its first outright conference championship since 1983 and second appearance in the NCAA Division I-FCS Playoffs in the last four years, the Texas State football team opens its 2009 Spring Practices on Monday, February 16 . The practices continue through Thursday, March 12.

Texas State returns 14 starters from the 2008 season in which the Bobcats finished with an 8-5 overall record and won the Southland Conference championship with a 5-2 record under second-year head coach Brad Wright.

The Bobcats will hold 15 workouts this spring with practices on February 16, 17, 19, and 20 the first week. Each practice begins at 3:45 p.m. and is open to the general public. Due to construction at Bobcat Stadium, fans are asked to sit in the East stands.

The practices resume on February 23 and Texas State will have its first of three scrimmages on Feb. 24. The Bobcats also practice on Feb. 26 and 27 to conclude the second week.

The third week of spring drills will be held on Mar. 2, 5 and 6, with another scrimmage on Mar. 3. The Bobcats will conclude practices on Mar. 9 and 10 before holding its final scrimmage at 4:00 p.m. on Mar. 12.

Because of construction on the West Side of Bobcat Stadium, the press box is closed so will not be a Maroon-Gold game this season.

2009 Spring Practice Schedule Feb. 16 Shorts 3:45 p.m.
Feb. 17 Shorts 3:45 p.m.
Feb. 19 Full Pads 3:45 p.m.
Feb. 20 Full Pads 3:45 p.m.
Feb. 23 Full Pads 3:45 p.m.
Feb. 24 Scrimmage 3:45 p.m.
Feb. 26 Full Pads 3:45 p.m.
Feb. 27 Full Pads 3:45 p.m.
Mar. 2 Full Pads 3:45 p.m.
Mar. 3 Scrimmage 3:45 p.m.
Mar. 5 Full Pads 3:45 p.m.
Mar. 6 Full Pads 3:45 p.m.
Mar. 9 Full Pads 3:45 p.m.
Mar. 10 Shorts 3:45 p.m.
Mar. 12 Scrimmage 4:00 p.m.

JayJ79
February 13th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Perhaps they do not want to run a spring game without a scoreboard and all the other jazz run from the press box.

Since when does anyone really care about the score of a spring game? :p

henfan
February 13th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Going to swing by in April and check out the construction.xthumbsupx

danefan
February 13th, 2009, 03:29 PM
There hasn't been an official spring game at Albany in about 8 years. In 2001 spring game the starting QB, 3 year returner, went down with a torn ACL. Missed the entire season. Ever since then, no spring game.

There really isn't much use in it, IMO. They have 2 or 3 live scrimmages, with set number of plays for offense and defense. Just enough to give the coaches a look without over-exposure to injury.

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Since when does anyone really care about the score of a spring game? :p

Last I checked - there are Bobcat fans who complain about how they do not feel things are heading in the right direction for their goal of being in the Big XII and of "FBS standard" or even "below FCS standard". Got to keep them happy...of course, this seems like a lose/lose situation.

GannonFan
February 13th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Never had a Spring Game cancelled at UD, although they did play the game one year at a high school field downstate in Delaware while they were installing a new surface on the football field. Last year they were doing refurbishing work on the West side stands and they were completely off limits during the Spring Game, but that's why God made football stadiums with multiple sides. xnodx

slycat
February 13th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I'd rather have a new press box then spring game any day.

BETCHGRIZ
February 14th, 2009, 05:29 PM
The griz hold their Spring games at different high school stadiums around the state. Each year a different site. Generates a ton of interest , especially is there are local kids on the team

BETCHGRIZ
February 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
The Griz hold their Spring game at different High School stadiums around the State. Each year a different site. Generates a ton of interest, especially if there are local kids on the team. Dosen't hurt recruiting either.

KleinTx05
February 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
The Griz hold their Spring game at different High School stadiums around the State. Each year a different site. Generates a ton of interest, especially if there are local kids on the team. Dosen't hurt recruiting either.

That's a pretty darn good idea

El Gato
February 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Last I checked - there are Bobcat fans who complain about how they do not feel things are heading in the right direction for their goal of being in the Big XII and of "FBS standard" or even "below FCS standard". Got to keep them happy...of course, this seems like a lose/lose situation.

xeyebrowx Seriously...you really have a way with words. I just love you how you blow things out of proportion and use any opportunity to bash an SLC school that is not SHSU. You are always clamoring for the betterment of the conference, and one one post you are praising the Bobcats

TexasTerror
February 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'm a big fan of Central Arkansas, Nicholls and Southeastern -- never see those fans having anything negative to say about me. ;)

JayJ79
February 15th, 2009, 09:37 PM
There really isn't much use in it, IMO. They have 2 or 3 live scrimmages, with set number of plays for offense and defense. Just enough to give the coaches a look without over-exposure to injury.

No, there isn't much use in terms of returning starters who already have their spots locked up. But it does help when it comes to underclassmen and developing players, in helping to evaluate the depth chart.

KleinTx05
February 16th, 2009, 02:20 AM
xeyebrowx Seriously...Dude, I really think you may be bipolar.

My thoughts exactly ... TT 's a complete joke. On our board he tries to give us some props but then turns around and HATES on us on other boards. He's kinds like UCA's championship rings ... FAKE!!! No respect for his words, comments or thoughts ... Don't even think twice on wut he has to say. Its not worth the time ... trust me!! Thumbs up to being BiPolar lol

ngineer
February 16th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Would certainly think they'd have some kind of game/controlled scrimmage with officials. Coaches need that to evaluate what's returning in August. Whether any fans are around is irrelevant.

BobcatTXST04
February 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'm a big fan of Central Arkansas, Nicholls and Southeastern -- never see those fans having anything negative to say about me. ;)

I wonder how much time you spend on THEIR boards bashing THEM? Seriously Terror..... xnonox