PDA

View Full Version : Fine-tuning I-AA: A Proposal

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
A) Scholarship Min/Max
Division I schools will be divided into 4 categories for football, based on scholarships given:
I-A: Between 66 – 85
I-AA: Between 45 – 65
I-AAA: Between 0 – 15
I-B: Does not compete in football on a varsity level
Currently, I-AA can give up to 63 scholarships/equivalents. DII has a 36 scholarship max, while I-A has a limit of 85. At max, I-AA is about halfway between DII and I-A. Adding two more allowable scholarships will push I-AA closer to I-A. Putting a minimum on I-AA scholarship will define those schools that are interested in competing for the I-AA title, and those that are D-III in reality. The new I-AAA classification could then have it’s own playoffs, if they choose.

B) Playoffs (I-AA)

1) All non-transitional schools that give a minimum of 45 scholarships/equivalents are eligible for selection into the playoffs. The playoff field is comprised of champions of auto-bid conferences (as defined below), plus at-large schools selected by the I-AA playoff committee.
2) A conference shall be eligible for an auto-bid as long as it meets the following criteria:
a) Minimum of seven eligible schools
b) Five of above schools must have been in the conference for at minimum of two years.
3) Playoff size is determined as follows:
9 or fewer eligible auto-bid conferences: 16 teams
10 or more eligible auto-bid conferences: 24 teams
4) Only games against I-AA or I-A teams will be used in determining at- large selections
5) Transition teams: Schools wishing to move from I-AAA to I-AA are given a two-year window in which to get to the 45 scholarship minimum. During this transition period, teams are ineligible for the playoffs, but are considered I-AA in classification for I-AA/I-A wins. A school may choose to shorten the window to one-year, if they reach the 45 scholarship minimum.

OL FU
November 22nd, 2005, 04:34 PM
You will confuse the NCAA with reason.

TigerFan17
November 22nd, 2005, 04:50 PM
I think it should be...

Division I
a.) Bowl Championship Series (formerly I-A, 66-85 scholarships)
b.) Playoff Championship Series (formerly I-AA, 45-65 scholarships)
c.) Non-Scholarship (I-AA and I-A wins over these teams will not count towards playoff contention, could devise a playoff system of their own.)

Division II (less than 36 scholarships)

Division III

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2005, 04:55 PM
Why even have a I-AAA. A lot of those teams (NAIA etc) get beat by D-II's regularly. Why not just lump em all into D-II. This will make it more clear cut.

I think it should be...

Division I
a. Bowl Championship Series (formerly I-A, 66-85 scholarships)
b. Playoff Championship Series (formerly I-AA, 45-65 scholarships)
Division II (less than 36 scholarships)
Division III

The reason for I-AAA is that in order to play D-I Basketball, you have to play D-I at all sports. Before this, many of the non-scholies competed in D-III for football only. The point of this is to restrict the non-scholies to their own classification, and for playoff purposes, not count wins against these weak opponents. If they were forced to either drop out of Division I basketball, add 45 scholarships, or drop football all together, most would just drop football, which I think would be a shame. I just don't think they should be lumped into I-AA with schools that give 60+ scholarships.

TigerFan17
November 22nd, 2005, 04:58 PM
Ah yes, I have revised!

turfdoc
November 22nd, 2005, 05:03 PM
First post....I think... and it was too slow

The reason why the non-scholarship football schools that play D-I basketball, track amongst other things were removed from D-III in the first place was because they had an unfair advantage against teams that were D-III in all sports. D-I weight rooms and facilities, D-III football = National Championships. for example Dayton in the early nineties breaking Augustana's Nat Champ Streak.

That is why the complex system that was proposed is necessary and should be implemented by the the NCAA, not going to happen though, wish it would