PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Uniform Rule changed

MSUBear42
February 12th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Anyone else see that the NCAA passed a new rule on uniforms? Road teams no longer have to wear white, they can wear any dark color they want as long as it is of "contrasting color" of the home team.

Not sure if I like it or not, but I guess it's not really a big deal.

They're also considering dissalowing touchdowns scored if the player taunts while the scoring play is going on.

kirkblitz
February 12th, 2009, 09:09 PM
^ that last thing is stupid as hell

UNHWildCats
February 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Anyone else see that the NCAA passed a new rule on uniforms? Road teams no longer have to wear white, they can wear any dark color they want as long as it is of "contrasting color" of the home team.

They're also considering dissalowing touchdowns scored if the player taunts while the scoring play is going on.
should we call this the UCLA/USC rule?

Syntax Error
February 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM
should we call this the UCLA/USC rule?

UCLA and USC have football teams? Who knew? They should move up to FCS! xwhistlex

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 12th, 2009, 09:43 PM

I don't know about that first one. I'm pretty sure UT Chattanooga wore their yellow and blue unis in Statesboro in '07 and in Norman this year (and probably in other away games as well).

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I really like this uniform rule.

There really is no point in forcing a team to have a "white" uniform if white is not a school color.

If NDSU could wear the traditional green jersey/yellow pants for all games, that would be ideal.

Our white jersey/green pants look ugly with a yellow helmet.

W. DeMontague
February 12th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I don't know about that first one. I'm pretty sure UT Chattanooga wore their yellow and blue unis in Statesboro in '07 and in Norman this year (and probably in other away games as well).

At FSU.

http://www.gomocs.com//pics11/640/AQ/AQRWQUJMEXDDQAI.20081003153821.jpg

I thought both teams looked sharp.

kirkblitz
February 13th, 2009, 12:12 AM
wow some ugly color combo there mustard people

minuteman65
February 13th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Man, those Chattanooga unis are not aesthetically pleasing. They need a different shade of puke, or whatever color that's supposed to be.

chattanoogamocs
February 13th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I don't know about that first one. I'm pretty sure Chattanooga wore their yellow and blue unis in Statesboro in '07 and in Norman this year (and probably in other away games as well).

When the Mocs went to the new (historical correct) color scheme the year before last, the gold uniform was the only one they had. The Mocs added the blue uniforms this year...so they don't have a white uniform at all (though Huesman said he wants one for the '09 season).

chattanoogamocs
February 13th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Man, those Chattanooga unis are not aesthetically pleasing. They need a different shade of puke, or whatever color that's supposed to be.

I guess everyone has their opinion...I like them. A lot better than urine sample yellow that many teams wear as "gold".

chattanoogamocs
February 13th, 2009, 02:59 AM
wow some ugly color combo there mustard people

Should anyone with teal as a school color really be talking trash about anyone else's colors? ;)

OhioHen
February 13th, 2009, 06:36 AM

^ that last thing is stupid as hell

Must disagree with you on that opinion, kirkblitz.

If there is taunting sufficient to warrant an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, the penalty should apply AT THE POINT OF THE INFRACTION, just like any other penalty.

Current rule - taunt while scoring a TD - keep the points and be penalized on the kickoff. xnonox

SHOULD BE (IMO) - taunt while scoring a TD - no points and a fifteen yard markoff from the spot the taunting began. THAT would stop most of the showboating at all levels of football.

93henfan
February 13th, 2009, 06:44 AM
SHOULD BE (IMO) - taunt while scoring a TD - no points and a fifteen yard markoff from the spot the taunting began. THAT would stop most of the showboating at all levels of football.

xbowxxbowxxbowx

I caught a lot of old superbowls on NFL network the past few weeks and was struck by the sportsmanship displayed prior to, say, 1985 or so. You'd get a ball flip to the ref, a couple guys hug the TD scorer on the way back from the endzone, and that was it. No flexing, showing off your stupid-looking gold teeth to the endzone cameras, dancing around like you just hit the crack pipe, etc.

It was refreshing.

813Jag
February 13th, 2009, 07:09 AM
xbowxxbowxxbowx

I caught a lot of old superbowls on NFL network the past few weeks and was struck by the sportsmanship displayed prior to, say, 1985 or so. You'd get a ball flip to the ref, a couple guys hug the TD scorer on the way back from the endzone, and that was it. No flexing, showing off your stupid-looking gold teeth to the endzone cameras, dancing around like you just hit the crack pipe, etc.

It was refreshing.
Does this guy count in the gold tooth, crack pipe group?
http://www.projo.com/a/2008/12/22/welker1222.jpg

93henfan
February 13th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Absolutely, and so does Mark Duncan (from my alma mater) throwing a ball at a cop. I don't pick favorites. It all should stop.

Appinator
February 13th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Sounds like a great name for a Green Day album

89Hen
February 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
If there is taunting sufficient to warrant an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, the penalty should apply AT THE POINT OF THE INFRACTION, just like any other penalty.
Yup. HOWEVER, I hope the don't get carried away with this. Is high-stepping taunting? I think the flip into the endzone may be. Holding the ball out definitely. xeyebrowx

HiHiYikas
February 13th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I think UTC wore the same unis for every game this year, home or road - didn't I read that somewhere?

wideright82
February 13th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I didn't know this was a rule ever. I just thought people did it because.....

oh well, great rule change NCAA.xrolleyesx

OL FU
February 13th, 2009, 08:39 AM

Current rule - taunt while scoring a TD - keep the points and be penalized on the kickoff. xnonox

I am concerned at the things that would interpreted as a taunt. Isn't the penalty now "excessive celebration". Does that qualify as a "taunt"?

bluehenbillk
February 13th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I like the uni rule change. If the 2 colors are easy to distinguish I see no problem having a blue team & a red team or whatever.

89Hen
February 13th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Anybody remember the original showboater? We used to do the dance as a kid after scoring a TD. xlolx xnodx

http://www.footballspeakers.com/i/johnson_billy.jpg

UAalum72
February 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson, College Football Hall of Fame, Widener College, Houston Oilers, Montreal Alouettes, Atlanta Falcons, Redskins, NFL 75th Anniversary all-time punt returner

RichH2
February 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hard rule to quantify. Celebration should be allowed, taunting punished. If flagged it is after the play so appropriate to assess on next play. BUT would indeed be much more effective to negate score and stop the asinine chest thumping and ego displays.

813Jag
February 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Yup. HOWEVER, I hope the don't get carried away with this. Is high-stepping taunting? I think the flip into the endzone may be. Holding the ball out definitely. xeyebrowx
I can't stand to see people do this. xnonono2x

813Jag
February 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Absolutely, and so does Mark Duncan (from my alma mater) throwing a ball at a cop. I don't pick favorites. It all should stop.
Just checking for consistency. xthumbsupx

WestRiverBison
February 13th, 2009, 10:56 AM
http://www.gobison.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=13796&SPID=695&PALBID=14224&DB_OEM_ID=2400&PAGE_ID=27&ZID=830845

There really is no point in forcing a team to have a "white" uniform if white is not a school color.

If NDSU could wear the traditional green jersey/yellow pants for all games, that would be ideal.

I think our away look is awesome with the white/green uni and yellow helmets.

http://http://www.gobison.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=13796&SPID=695&PALBID=14224&DB_OEM_ID=2400&PAGE_ID=27&ZID=830845

BisonAccountant44
February 13th, 2009, 11:59 AM
http://www.gobison.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=13796&SPID=695&PALBID=14224&DB_OEM_ID=2400&PAGE_ID=27&ZID=830845

http://http://www.gobison.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=13796&SPID=695&PALBID=14224&DB_OEM_ID=2400&PAGE_ID=27&ZID=830845

I agree. I really don't have any problems with either of our unis/color combos though.

jstate83
February 13th, 2009, 12:08 PM

OH Lawd..................Here we go again. xlolx
I see this comming already.
Tennesse State wearing Blue Jersey's at the SHC knowing JSU will be wearing them.xlolx
They will say their's are not as dark as ours. xlmaox

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics21/400/KE/KELESUBHNEVRLZY.20090120193219.jpg http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/jast/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/2426385.jpeg

Cobblestone
February 13th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I disagree with both rule changes.

Cobblestone
February 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Anybody remember the original showboater? We used to do the dance as a kid after scoring a TD. xlolx xnodx

http://www.footballspeakers.com/i/johnson_billy.jpg

Actually Elmo Wright should be given this award.

GannonFan
February 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
So, who do we think is going to actually take advantage of this rule? Any ideas?

89Hen
February 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM
So, who do we think is going to actually take advantage of this rule? Any ideas?
Maybe the Hens?! We don't have any white in our school colors. xeyebrowx

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I disagree with both rule changes.

Why would you want your school wearing a white uniform when white is not a school color?

What's next, gray facemasks when gray is not a school color? xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM

I think they're gross.

I know I was not the only NDSU fan who was upset from switching away from yellow pants.

Big Dawg
February 13th, 2009, 12:41 PM
What counts as showboating? Is it the one finger in the air running into the endzone or what? My problem would be that refs might be a little too harsh with this rule or not be consistant with it(see the BYU/Wash. game from this past season).

Appinator
February 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I bet this would also put a stop to all of the "endzone flips" that players do while diving in for a score.

I really don't see that as taunting really, but I wouldn't be sad if it went away.

Big Dawg
February 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
OH Lawd..................Here we go again. xlolx
I see this comming already.
Tennesse State wearing Blue Jersey's at the SHC knowing JSU will be wearing them.xlolx
They will say their's are not as dark as ours. xlmaox

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics21/400/KE/KELESUBHNEVRLZY.20090120193219.jpg http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/jast/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/2426385.jpeg

Now you know TSU's blue looks nothing like JSU's blue. xlolx

Besides I don't think the NCAA would allow that one because you both wear blue.

jstate83
February 13th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Now you know TSU's blue looks nothing like JSU's blue. xlolx

Besides I don't think the NCAA would allow that one because you both wear blue.

Not a question of the NCAA allowing it in this game.xlolx
Tennessee State is known to show up for this game when we are the "Home Team" with nothing but blue jersey's.
Rules go out the window in this game. xlolx
They have done it before and I know they will do it again, forcing JSU to change to white before or after halftime.

Last time they did it, JSU coaches said fugg it and both team's played the game decked out in blue jersey's, blue pant's, and blue helment's.
INT's everywhere.xlolx

UAalum72
February 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Why would you want your school wearing a white uniform when white is not a school color?

The L.A. Rams used to wear white at home so their fans could see all the visiting teams' colored jerseys - or because white not only makes you look bigger, it's a lot cooler in the sun on a hot day (does not apply in domes or at night).

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM
The L.A. Rams used to wear white at home so their fans could see all the visiting teams' colored jerseys - or because white not only makes you look bigger, it's a lot cooler in the sun on a hot day (does not apply in domes or at night).

How about respect for your school's colors?

I-AA Fan
February 13th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Here is the current rule:

ARTICLE 3. a. Players of opposing teams shall wear jerseys of contrasting
colors, and the visiting team shall wear white jerseys. White jerseys may
be worn by the home team when the teams have agreed before the season.
Players of a team shall wear jerseys of the same color and design.

The second sentence was added last year, or the year prior. I suspect they want to remove that sentence all together.

Actually, the white jersey rule is relatively new. Up until then, the rule was that the home team had to wear a jersey of color, with the visitors in contrast to that jersey. There has never been a rule on the color of pants that I am aware of. Since a team never knew whom they might play in a given season, white became the travel color of choice; as it would always be in contrast to a colored uniform.

UAalum72
February 13th, 2009, 01:17 PM
How about respect for your school's colors?

White is a neutral. An edge (in the heat) can take precedence over 'respect' for a color that you can still wear on your pants and on the numbers (instead of white numbers).

JayJ79
February 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Personally, I didn't consider the snow angel to be taunting or even excessive celebration. At least not in the NFL. It's not any worse than spiking the ball or doing the "lambeau leap" or whatever.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I don't like the taunting rule at all. More than likely it will be totally subjective and will allow referees to negate the toucdown when a receiver gives his QB a high-five.

Also, SoCon officials tend to play favorites, and this gives them a very potent weapon to slow down teams they do not like.

89Hen
February 13th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I could see some teams doing a secondary away uni...

Monarch History
February 13th, 2009, 01:40 PM

I agree whole-heartedly with OhioHen. This taunting on all levels of football (especially NFL) is ridiculous.xnonono2x

89Hen
February 13th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm sure people could make them a lot nicer than I...

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
White is a neutral. An edge (in the heat) can take precedence over 'respect' for a color that you can still wear on your pants and on the numbers (instead of white numbers).

White is a color.

It's either a school color (Texas, Michigan State, etc.) or it's not (Michigan, USC).

Play the game at night if you're worried about heat.

GannonFan
February 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM
White is a color.

It's either a school color (Texas, Michigan State, etc.) or it's not (Michigan, USC).

Play the game at night if you're worried about heat.

You're a funny guy, Mpls - anti-natural grass surfaces, anti-including schools that don't give schollies in the FCS umbrella, and now anti any white in a uniform if it's not officially part of the school colors. xlolx

I-AA Fan
February 13th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Personally, I didn't consider the snow angel to be taunting or even excessive celebration. At least not in the NFL. It's not any worse than spiking the ball or doing the "lambeau leap" or whatever.

In my opinion, in the NFL, anything that delays the game should be a violation. In addition, the only time a player, at any level, should be allowed to leave the field of play is for a substitution, or if the result of the play carried the player(s) out of the field of play.

Therefore, if a person does the "Lambeugh Leep", it should be 15-yards. If a person leaves the field of play, for any reason that was not the result of the previous play, he should NOT be allowed to re-enter the field of play until the next time the ball is put in play (next down). There is far too much crap that goes on in the NFL & IA/FBS, that is why I never watch either.

Any celebration on the field should be an infraction, if it is about, or directed toward, anyone but the members of your team on the field of play. Or even then, if it delays the game.

89Hen
February 13th, 2009, 03:29 PM
One more for ODU...

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM
You're a funny guy, Mpls - anti-natural grass surfaces, anti-including schools that don't give schollies in the FCS umbrella, and now anti any white in a uniform if it's not officially part of the school colors. xlolx

Why not bright neon yellow or pink? Those are also not school colors.

No reason not to add them into the uniform.

ngineer
February 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Who decides if there is 'sufficient' contrast?? In the Patriot League we have some of the most boring colors when all combined and many are the same or very close:

Colgate, Fordham, and Lafayette all use maroon and Lehigh's brown is not far from dark maroon on the color spectrum. Brown and Maroon jerseys on the same field could definitely cause problems.

TheValleyRaider
February 13th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Who decides if there is 'sufficient' contrast?? In the Patriot League we have some of the most boring colors when all combined and many are the same or very close:

Colgate, Fordham, and Lafayette all use maroon and Lehigh's brown is not far from dark maroon on the color spectrum. Brown and Maroon jerseys on the same field could definitely cause problems.

I think we're all too tradition-tied to really go for the non-whites on the road look. It wouldn't surprise me if someone in the League brought it up and they just informally decided to not bother changing anything. Or just decided to not bother changing without any discussion at all (both of which would seem rather par for the course with PL leadership...)

coover
February 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM
xbowxxbowxxbowx

It was refreshing.

And that was the way it should be!

When I was in the 10th grade a long time ago, playing defensive Nose Guard, I recovered a fumble. I ran off the field, celebrating, jumping up and down. When I got to the sidelines, I was taken aside by my Coach who told me that if I ever did that again, I would never play another down of football for him. And then I sat out the rest of the game ... even though my replacement could not adequately play the position. The coach told me that no body on his team was to embarass and opponent ... that he would not ever allow that. I learned a lesson that day that I have never forgotten. I hate it when I see players show off. They have only my contempt.

coover
February 13th, 2009, 08:55 PM

What's next, gray facemasks when gray is not a school color? xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

The reason is that certain colors look alike (or nearly alike) on a Black and White TV. Dark Blue and Dark Red, for example, can not be distinguished from each other.

Hammerhead
February 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure what's worse, taunting or chest thumping / fake hog tieing/ flexing after ever single play.

As for school colors, I'd be all for banning black on jerseys from school colors that aren't black such as North Dakota's official school colors of pink and green.

Sturgisjeff
February 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM
The reason is that certain colors look alike (or nearly alike) on a Black and White TV. Dark Blue and Dark Red, for example, can not be distinguished from each other.

People still have black and white TV's?

LeopardFan04
February 13th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure what's worse, taunting or chest thumping / fake hog tieing/ flexing after ever single play.

As for school colors, I'd be all for banning black on jerseys from school colors that aren't black such as North Dakota's official school colors of pink and green.

So would I:

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper522/stills/zj716tuc.jpg

(Although I wouldn't mind haven't Andy Romans back to chase around Lehigh QBs...xbowx

asucrutch23
February 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/asucrutch23/unis.jpg

I'd like to see the boys in these.

W. DeMontague
February 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Last year's USC/UCLA game had both teams wear their home colors. Pete Carroll didn't mind losing a time out for it. I guess he gave the NCAA a push over a revision of the rule.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/12/06/usc_ucla_fight.jpg

Oregon State vs Pitt @ 2008 Sun Bowl

http://www.sunbowl.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1974&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=27b35b38d323acd79034a1b1068b1f43

As for the taunting rule, it will be interest to see how the refs interpret "taunting". I'm sure there will be some controversy.

kirkblitz
February 14th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Should anyone with teal as a school color really be talking trash about anyone else's colors? ;)

you wish you could wear teal xsmiley_wix

http://media.myrtlebeachonline.com/smedia/2008/10/04/22/967-CCULibertyJamieCele.standalone.prod_affiliate.78.J PG
http://media.myrtlebeachonline.com/smedia/2008/09/07/22/182-CCUColgateRichardson.standalone.prod_affiliate.78. JPG
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/957/gallery/576493.html#http://media.myrtlebeachonline.com/smedia/2008/08/31/00/35-MACDOWALL.standalone.prod_affiliate.78.jpg
http://media.myrtlebeachonline.com/smedia/2008/08/31/00/435-cclede.standalone.prod_affiliate.78.jpg

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/957/gallery/602920.html#http://media.myrtlebeachonline.com/smedia/2008/09/21/00/573-CCUTowsonGreene.standalone.prod_affiliate.78.JPG
http://media.myrtlebeachonline.com/smedia/2008/09/21/00/655-CCUTowsonFordham.standalone.prod_affiliate.78.JPG

we have more combos then that, i just cant find the pics

MplsBison
February 14th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Schools usually have 2 school colors. If both teams would be wearing blue uniforms, for example, then one school should wear a uniform comprised of the 2nd school color.

Cal is a perfect example:

http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_166000/FF_166966_s.jpg

Cal has 2 school colors, blue and gold.

How does white fit in? The entire tradition of having an away or home team (depending on sport) wear a white uniform regardless of what the actual school colors are is absurd and should be abolished.

Big Dawg
February 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Back in 1998 FAMU and BCC both wore "home" jerseys and there was no penalty nor was there one when we played NCA&T in 2007

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v374/5/1/502921255/n502921255_1508164_6948.jpg

beauvighn
February 14th, 2009, 04:29 PM
UTC wore those ugly things at Wofford this year. I almost threw up my tailgate bar-b-que and elixir when I saw those things.

Syntax Error
February 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
White is a neutral. An edge (in the heat) can take precedence over 'respect' for a color that you can still wear on your pants and on the numbers (instead of white numbers).xnodx White is the lack of color and traditionally used for the pants, socks, away jerseys, etc. No problem here for using the lighter of the official school colors in place of white for the away jerseys.

MSUBear42
February 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM
MSU is Maroon and White, so we have it easy. Although I've heard rumblings of making our school colors maroon, black, and white.

It used to be Maroon, Orange, and White

poly51
February 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Does this mean Nike can supply Oregon with a lot more different uniforms?

TheValleyRaider
February 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Where are you guys getting the templates for some of those alternates?

GoBlueHens83
February 14th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Does this mean Nike can supply Oregon with a lot more different uniforms?

I think they are the ugliest uniforms in all of college football.

http://usc.freedomblogging.com/files/2008/10/oregon1002.jpg

Pattycakes
February 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
There are some schools (*cough* Minnesota) that should still wear their whites on the road.

MplsBison
February 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
There are some schools (*cough* Minnesota) that should still wear their whites on the road.

I can't find a picture of it but they used to have these uniforms with 2 M's on the front. Wow they were bad.

fuEMO
February 15th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Furman's official colors are Purple and White. I also think Furman has one of the better away uniforms. The main reason I think the white uniform works so well for Furman is the white helmet. Also Furman keeps it simple, classic stripes of color.

http://cmsimg.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=BS&Dato=20081025&Kategori=SPORTS0103&Lopenr=810250810&Ref=PH&Item=66&Maxw=599&Maxh=500

DuckDuckGriz
February 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM
2006 Civil War
http://images.townnews.com/heraldandnews.com/content/articles/2006/11/25/news/sports/sports1.jpg

And for the record, Oregon's all white combo are THE BEST in college football
2008 Civil War
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-11/43654409.jpg

89Hen
February 17th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Where are you guys getting the templates for some of those alternates?
www.niketeam.com

CrackerRiley
February 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I think they are the ugliest uniforms in all of college football.

Oregon's uniforms have always been my favorite. Not that yellow though.

Retro
February 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM
The problem with allowing teams to wear whatever colors is that there will be problems when 2 teams accidentally show up in purple like SFA & NWST and when a team does wear an alternate color, even if it is part of their team colors, it generally looks TACKY because the combo wasn't well thought out..xsmhx

I really don't think there will be big problem in the FCS because it's not cost effective for every team to have 3 different jersey colors every year at this level..
Most of the teams that do it in the FBS look ridiculous to say the least...xrolleyesx

I'm all for taunting rules, especially for those that occur in the field of play or players that celebrate over the top of an opposing player still lying on the ground.

bobbythekidd
February 17th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Sounds good to me.:)

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 11:34 AM
The problem with allowing teams to wear whatever colors is that there will be problems when 2 teams accidentally show up in purple like SFA & NWST and when a team does wear an alternate color, even if it is part of their team colors, it generally looks TACKY because the combo wasn't well thought out..xsmhx

I really don't think there will be big problem in the FCS because it's not cost effective for every team to have 3 different jersey colors every year at this level..
Most of the teams that do it in the FBS look ridiculous to say the least...xrolleyesx

I'm all for taunting rules, especially for those that occur in the field of play or players that celebrate over the top of an opposing player still lying on the ground.

This rule would allow cost savings as many schools could get away with only 1 uniform all year.

andy7171
February 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Morgan State at Towson just this past September 08.

I seriously doubt they will reciprocate and let us wear black at their field this year.

Uncle Buck
February 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Not sure how i feel about this rule, for some reason, i like having a team in the road whites. Hell, i know it never looks as good as a home solid, but it just seems right to me.

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Not sure how i feel about this rule, for some reason, i like having a team in the road whites. Hell, i know it never looks as good as a home solid, but it just seems right to me.

It's human nature to feel akward when letting go of a tradition, even when that tradition is illogical and pointless.

Retro
February 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM
This rule would allow cost savings as many schools could get away with only 1 uniform all year.

Which color will they choose???? Too many teams in the same conference have at least one other team with same primary color: Blue, Red, Purple, Green, Etc.. Only a few teams could get away with it and not every year.. Will never work!

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Which color will they choose???? Too many teams in the same conference have at least one other team with same primary color: Blue, Red, Purple, Green, Etc.. Only a few teams could get away with it and not every year.. Will never work!

Then have a 2nd uniform that is the 2nd school color.

No need for 3 uniforms and no need to have a white uniform when white is not a school color.

89Hen
February 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
FWIW, UD's school colors are blue and gold, but I would NOT want to see the Hens come out in gold. xcoffeex

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
FWIW, UD's school colors are blue and gold, but I would NOT want to see the Hens come out in gold. xcoffeex

Wouldn't be a problem as UD has a lighter shade of blue.

89Hen
February 17th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't be a problem as UD has a lighter shade of blue.
xconfusedx Lighter than Michigan's blue, yes, but certainly not light enough to be worn when another team is wearing a dark color like JMU's purple, W&M's green, UNH/VU/Maine blue, Towson's black.... I don't think dark blue vs not as dark blue is what they had in mind here.

Retro
February 17th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Then have a 2nd uniform that is the 2nd school color.

No need for 3 uniforms and no need to have a white uniform when white is not a school color.

There is no need for 3 uniforms now? White looks better than some colors used in full spectrum and like others it's traditional not tacky like some color combos..

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
xconfusedx Lighter than Michigan's blue, yes, but certainly not light enough to be worn when another team is wearing a dark color like JMU's purple, W&M's green, UNH/VU/Maine blue, Towson's black.... I don't think dark blue vs not as dark blue is what they had in mind here.

Blue on blue maybe not. But certainly vs. green and black, you'd be fine.

There are plenty of gold uniforms that look fine. Esp. with blue helmets and blue pants, you'd look great.

Check out Cal.

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM
There is no need for 3 uniforms now? White looks better than some colors used in full spectrum and like others it's traditional not tacky like some color combos..

I never advocated 3 uniforms. That was your off the wall assumption.

The entire point was to eliminate white uniforms when white is not a school color, not make every team have 2 solid color uniforms and a white.

Try reading the thread.

DuckDuckGriz
February 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Blue on blue maybe not. But certainly vs. green and black, you'd be fine.

There are plenty of gold uniforms that look fine. Esp. with blue helmets and blue pants, you'd look great.

Check out Cal.

People think Oregon's yellows look gross and not Cal's??? xconfusedx

MplsBison
February 17th, 2009, 06:35 PM
People think Oregon's yellows look gross and not Cal's??? xconfusedx

Neither look bad IMO. I don't see anything wrong with Oregon's unis. The Black and White look good too, it's just not Oregon's school colors.

Retro
February 17th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I never advocated 3 uniforms. That was your off the wall assumption.

The entire point was to eliminate white uniforms when white is not a school color, not make every team have 2 solid color uniforms and a white.

Try reading the thread.

I read the thread smartass! My assumption would be a fact because teams won't choose one over the other.. They will add a third if money is there.. My point is if teams adds as jersey they will have 3 uniforms.. No team will likely eliminate wearing white. If so, it will be rare... Most teams want to look classy and white does that with the right pant and striping combo....

LacesOut
February 18th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Love this new uniform rule! I just wonder what I-AA schools (if any) will actually do it.

UD vs. UMass..........UD in blue and UMass in maroon?

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I read the thread smartass! My assumption would be a fact because teams won't choose one over the other.. They will add a third if money is there.. My point is if teams adds as jersey they will have 3 uniforms.. No team will likely eliminate wearing white. If so, it will be rare... Most teams want to look classy and white does that with the right pant and striping combo....

The rule doesn't force a school to stop wearing white, it just lets them wear a solid color instead if they choose.

Therefore, for simple financial reasons, very few FCS teams will maintain three uniforms, if any. They will either drop white and go to a solid secondary color or maintain white.

How are you so out of the loop on this one?

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM
But certainly vs. green and black, you'd be fine.

Check out Cal.
Disagree on both points above. Blue v. Black doesn't work. My son plays in a hockey league were we have six teams all with different jersey colors: Blue, Black, White, Gold, Red and Green. He is on the blue team. When they play black it is VERY hard to tell them apart at first clance. When they play green it's fairly easy, but that's because the green is kelly green. W&M is NOT kelly green.

I hate Cal's unis. xpeacex

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Disagree on both points above. Blue v. Black doesn't work. My son plays in a hockey league were we have six teams all with different jersey colors: Blue, Black, White, Gold, Red and Green. He is on the blue team. When they play black it is VERY hard to tell them apart at first clance. When they play green it's fairly easy, but that's because the green is kelly green. W&M is NOT kelly green.

I hate Cal's unis. xpeacex

Well, like I said above the rule won't force teams to stop wearing white.

My preference is for teams not to wear white or black if it's not a school color, but it's up to the team not me.

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM
if teams adds as jersey they will have 3 uniforms.. No team will likely eliminate wearing white. If so, it will be rare... Most teams want to look classy and white does that with the right pant and striping combo....
Few teams would be able to eliminate white completely thanks to colors that don't contrast enough or would be hideous to wear. If I see Maryland come out in yellow like their bball team does sometimes.... xoopsx

BTW, I think my home state team must have the most official school colors of any school... white, black, yellow and red. I do love my state's flag.

http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/7/7/7/1/3/ar120787262331777.jpg

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 09:28 AM
My preference is for teams not to wear white or black if it's not a school color, but it's up to the team not me.
And you've made it clear that you think anyone that would choose to wear white would do so at their own peril of mocking the school colors. xpeacex

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 09:35 AM
And you've made it clear that you think anyone that would choose to wear white would do so at their own peril of mocking the school colors. xpeacex

It's a simple matter of respect for the school colors over a rediculous tradition. Same exact issue as gray facemasks.

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 09:37 AM
It's a simple matter of respect for the school colors over a rediculous tradition. Same exact issue as gray facemasks.
In your opinion. So Clemson should only wear either orange or purple for unis. VT should only wear maroon or orange. Delaware wearing blue and gold trim on white bases are disrespecting their school colors. xrolleyesx

andy7171
February 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Let's all remember, white is the absence of color. MPLS when you were little did you complain that someone had already colored your coloring books white?

Towson's official colors are Gold and White.

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Let's all remember, white is the absence of color. MPLS when you were little did you complain that someone had already colored your coloring books white?

Towson's official colors are Gold and White.

White is the combination of red, blue and green.

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
In your opinion. So Clemson should only wear either orange or purple for unis. VT should only wear maroon or orange. Delaware wearing blue and gold trim on white bases are disrespecting their school colors. xrolleyesx

Is white a school color of Delaware?

It is for Michigan State, Texas, Alabama, etc.

Go...gate
February 18th, 2009, 10:30 AM
MSU is Maroon and White, so we have it easy. Although I've heard rumblings of making our school colors maroon, black, and white.

It used to be Maroon, Orange, and White

Colgate tried to work black into the FB uniform in the late 1990's and it looked like crap with the maroon. We finally seemed to get the uniform right this year - maroon with grey and white (traditional colors are maroon and white, but we have thrown grey or silver in there off and on over the years and, IMO, it looks nice).

Go...gate
February 18th, 2009, 10:31 AM

Huh? What's the problem with grey facemasks? Everybody wore them at one time. I still like 'em - very old-school.

Go...gate
February 18th, 2009, 10:36 AM

As I recall, that was George Allen's idea when he became head coach in 1966. I loved those blue and white LA Ram uni's.

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Is white a school color of Delaware?
All the athletic teams wear it. Must be. Your schtick has become tiresome. xcoffeex

Perhaps this may clear some things up for you....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_colors

Black, white and gray are often used as neutral colors for sets that do not otherwise adopt them. This practice is especially notable in basketball (where home uniforms are often white) and professional baseball (where team colors are often used as trim for white or gray uniforms).

Most competitive teams keep two sets of uniforms, with one design emphasizing the primary color and the other emphasizing the secondary color. In some sports, such as American Football, the primary color is emphasized on home uniforms, while uniforms for other sports, notably basketball, use the secondary or a neutral color at home. This is done to avoid confusasdr colors. In addition, various groups that generate support for athletic teams, including cheerleaders and marching bands, wear uniforms with the colors of their school.

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Huh? What's the problem with grey facemasks? Everybody wore them at one time. I still like 'em - very old-school.

Why not neon pink facemasks, since we're talking about having the facemasks be a color that isn't a school color?

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM
All the athletic teams wear it. Must be. Your schtick has become tiresome. xcoffeex

I guess I should've expected you to dodge, rather than take 2 seconds to research if it is an official school color rather than an NCAA mandated color(but I think we both already know the answer to that).

Uncle Buck
February 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
It's human nature to feel akward when letting go of a tradition, even when that tradition is illogical and pointless.

Yeah sure wiseguy. Technically, our school colors aren't white, but the numbers on our blue home jerseys are. Under your skewed view, does that mean that we have to be completely void of any color that is not an official school color. Blue jerseys, yellow number, yellow socks. How about cleats, do they have to match as well? Technically, it's all part of the uni and you don't want to disrespect your school colors.

Like retro said, the right combination with white is a classy and clean look. White is technically a blank slate to which you apply your school colors. Who said you have to cover the entire canvas?

andy7171
February 18th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah sure wiseguy. Technically, our school colors aren't white, but the numbers on our blue home jerseys are. Under your skewed view, does that mean that we have to be completely void of any color that is not an official school color. Blue jerseys, yellow number, yellow socks. How about cleats, do they have to match as well? Technically, it's all part of the uni and you don't want to disrespect your school colors.

Like retro said, the right combination with white is a classy and clean look. White is technically a blank slate to which you apply your school colors. Who said you have to cover the entire canvas?

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Do painted endzones disrespect the true grass underneath the playing surface? Oh wait. You hate grass.

So what's the stance on green turf? Should the lines at Boise State be orange? I like the idea of a black field with gold lines.

Uncle Buck
February 18th, 2009, 11:28 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Do painted endzones disrespect the true grass underneath the playing surface? Oh wait. You hate grass.

So what's the stance on green turf? Should the lines at Boise State be orange? I like the idea of a black field with gold lines.

Now your using your noggin Andy xthumbsupx

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM
How about cleats, do they have to match as well? Technically, it's all part of the uni and you don't want to disrespect your school colors.
Maybe we can include this in the stimulus bill. From this point forward, all schools should have cleets in their school colors. Nike, UA, Adidas... will have orders coming out their behinds (of course all that money would be going to China). :p

Uncle Buck
February 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Maybe we can include this in the stimulus bill. From this point forward, all schools should have cleets in their school colors. Nike, UA, Adidas... will have orders coming out their behinds (of course all that money would be going to China). :p

True, true. xnonono2x

Bull Fan
February 18th, 2009, 12:20 PM
For the Uniphiles out there like me..... here is a great website.

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 12:50 PM
BTW, I think this discussion has gone round and round so much that many people's positions have been clouded. I don't pretend to speak for everyone, but I think most people are in agreement that the rule change to allow a non-white road uniform is fine. If a school chooses to wear something other than white, that's their prerogative. Where we seem to be having the issue is that the implication that if a team chooses to continue to wear white when white is not an "official" school color, they are somehow doing something wrong. Does everyone agree with that?

Uncle Buck
February 18th, 2009, 12:56 PM
BTW, I think this discussion has gone round and round so much that many people's positions have been clouded. I don't pretend to speak for everyone, but I think most people are in agreement that the rule change to allow a non-white road uniform is fine. If a school chooses to wear something other than white, that's their prerogative. Where we seem to be having the issue is that the implication that if a team chooses to continue to wear white when white is not an "official" school color, they are somehow doing something wrong. Does everyone agree with that?

Agreed xthumbsupx

andy7171
February 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Agreed.

Can we also agree that MPLS continues to not disapoint in his one against the world positions. Very entertaining.

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM

It's never been my stance that a school wearing a white uniform when white is not a school color is wrong.

Simply, they're not respecting the school colors.

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Agreed.

Can we also agree that MPLS continues to not disapoint in his one against the world positions. Very entertaining.

Still think that white isn't a color? xnonono2xxnonono2x

andy7171
February 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Still think that white isn't a color? xnonono2xxnonono2x

Yes.

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Yes.

LOL, you're scientifically wrong.

The primary colors red, blue and green add up to make white.

Add any two primary colors to get the secondary colors magenta, yellow and cyan.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x26/Bucket_PhotoZ/CIEwiki.jpg

OhioHen
February 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
White is the combination of red, blue and green.

If we want to get into a scientific explanation here, white is the presence of the full spectrum of light being reflected equally (none is absorbed). Black is the absence of light being reflected (all is absorbed). xreadx

A chance to be a science geek in a thread about NCAA uniform rules!!! xthumbsupx

andy7171
February 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Says who? You don't speak for all artists and scientists!

MplsBison
February 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Says the International Commission on Illumination (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Commission_on_Illumination).

OhioHen
February 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM

One example of a source that agrees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
It's never been my stance that a school wearing a white uniform when white is not a school color is wrong.

Simply, they're not respecting the school colors.
xlolx xlolx xlolx When you get to 7,000 posts you have to change your title to "King of Semantics".

andy7171
February 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx When you get to 7,000 posts you have to change your title to "King of Semantics".

xoutofrepx

813Jag
February 18th, 2009, 02:06 PM
A few more topics like this and he'll be there easily. But I can't let a good (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1304794&postcount=70) MPLS statement go to waste. xlolx

Uncle Buck
February 18th, 2009, 02:22 PM
If we want to get into a scientific explanation here, white is the presence of the full spectrum of light being reflected equally (none is absorbed). Black is the absence of light being reflected (all is absorbed). xreadx

A chance to be a science geek in a thread about NCAA uniform rules!!! xthumbsupx

Good point. I was thinking the same thing as i reflected back on a philosophy course that i took. The prof holds up a red pen and asks the color. We all shout red. He tells us no, it's every color but red. The pen absorbs all colors but red. Nice to see that applies to uniform colors as well! xthumbsupx

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
The prof holds up a red pen and asks the color. We all shout red. He tells us no, it's every color but red. The pen absorbs all colors but red.
Dork. Not you, the prof. :p

Uncle Buck
February 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Dork. Not you, the prof. :p

Ha ha ha, Pasqual Schievella was his name. I used to only take 12 credits in season and used the local juco for some intersession to make it up and save money, I played before scholarships.

Worst part is, we had to read his book, "Critical Analysis: Langauge and Its Functions". Man, that class sucked. So much for a cheap and easy intersession course.

Go...gate
February 18th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Why not neon pink facemasks, since we're talking about having the facemasks be a color that isn't a school color?

Ah, yes, pink and grey....Vassar colors!! :D

Bull Fan
February 19th, 2009, 06:47 AM
As a uniform junkie, I've read up on the presence of color on color games (as opposed to visitors wearing white). This goes back many, many years to the days of black and white photography. Teams were wearing monochromatic uniforms at that point as well.

This whole debate is clearly a taste issue, as long as you can discern between the two teams. To me, white can look good and clean, or it can be unflattering... especially cramming chubby linemen into all-white getups. The NCAA has a way of instituting some dumb rules for no good reason ;)

I personally despise today's uniform templates, I like the older looks. And the whole black as an alternate jersey- that needs to go.

Practiced sportsmanship is at an all-time low. Sports has fallen victim to the "Look at me" generation, from the celebrations to the uniforms. We have young kids who are turning into living billboards for Under Armor, Nike, et al. It's "cool" to accessorize their uni's with all those armbands, the stick-on eye black and other trimmings that just have no useful uniform value. I guess I'm a traditionalist in more than one way.

The players need to behave on the field; respect for your opponents means more than not taking cheap shots, it's respecting them as you make your way into the endzone. And for the love of God, there's no reason to celebrate a 1-yard stop during ANY point in the game unless it's the last play of the game and you've just prevented the game-winning score.

Syntax Error
February 19th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Excellent post Bull Fan! xbowx

andy7171
February 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM
As a uniform junkie, I've read up on the presence of color on color games (as opposed to visitors wearing white). This goes back many, many years to the days of black and white photography. Teams were wearing monochromatic uniforms at that point as well.

This whole debate is clearly a taste issue, as long as you can discern between the two teams. To me, white can look good and clean, or it can be unflattering... especially cramming chubby linemen into all-white getups. The NCAA has a way of instituting some dumb rules for no good reason ;)

I personally despise today's uniform templates, I like the older looks. And the whole black as an alternate jersey- that needs to go.

Practiced sportsmanship is at an all-time low. Sports has fallen victim to the "Look at me" generation, from the celebrations to the uniforms. We have young kids who are turning into living billboards for Under Armor, Nike, et al. It's "cool" to accessorize their uni's with all those armbands, the stick-on eye black and other trimmings that just have no useful uniform value. I guess I'm a traditionalist in more than one way.

The players need to behave on the field; respect for your opponents means more than not taking cheap shots, it's respecting them as you make your way into the endzone. And for the love of God, there's no reason to celebrate a 1-yard stop during ANY point in the game unless it's the last play of the game and you've just prevented the game-winning score.

Hey hey hey! UB and I take exception to this statement. xlolx:p

Bull Fan
February 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Uncle Buck was never forced.... errr.... greased down to fit into... errr.... required to wear white-on-white during his days. ;)

andy7171
February 19th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Uncle Buck was never forced.... errr.... greased down to fit into... errr.... required to wear white-on-white during his days. ;)

Me neither, but I was forced to enure Gold on Gold more than once! xoopsx

Bull Fan
February 19th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I was never a fan of the yellow / yellow or gold / gold look. Those colors are just too shocking to the senses and should be left to either the jersey or pants alone ;) Minnesota and WVU have gone that route, and it's painful to watch. I think even Mizzou may have dabbled in that combo, but I couldn't confirm.

andy7171
February 19th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I was never a fan of the yellow / yellow or gold / gold look. Those colors are just too shocking to the senses and should be left to either the jersey or pants alone ;) Minnesota and WVU have gone that route, and it's painful to watch. I think even Mizzou may have dabbled in that combo, but I couldn't confirm.

Yeah that was the opinion of the whole team too. It was humiliating. And we SUCKED bad in my early years which made it worse.

I don't like same color match ups. Black outs, red outs, blue outs, especially yellow/gold outs. Especially when the helmet is the same color.

Retro
February 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Ditto!xthumbsupx

MplsBison
February 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Ditto!xthumbsupx

Yeah but you'll gladly sell those $30 Under Armor accessories at whatever ridiculous mark-up it is, won't you?

jmufan999
February 19th, 2009, 12:39 PM
wow, 15 pages of this thread? i mean, i like the topic too, just surprised there are 15 pages of responses.

anyway, i guess this only applies to teams that have a yellow/gold thing going on. and yes, those UTC uniforms are rough. really, really rough.

i still contend that Villanova has the coolest home uniforms. my favorite, anyway. and UNI's looks funny with the purple shirts and black pants combo, but it's an interesting one also.

MplsBison
February 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah I don't approve of the black pants look either.

UND does that even though their school colors are green and white.

Bull Fan
February 19th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Black in uniforms is blah. To me, the Oakland Raiders blazed that path, and everyone ever since has tried to rip it off. Just a lack of imagination, really.

Retro
February 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Ditto!xthumbsupx

I don't sell Under Armour! Low quality, high price! xrolleyesx

MplsBison
February 19th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I have no idea if their quality actually is low, but they are definitely driven by marketing.

They're the Bose of the sports equipment world.

Go...gate
February 19th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I always liked my Bose 301 speakers - they lasted over thirty years before I gave them away to a relative. The build quality is defintely nowhere near as good in the modern 301 series, however.

Uncle Buck
February 19th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Me neither, but I was forced to enure Gold on Gold more than once! xoopsx

Not white on white, though HU had worn them at one time. I did have to wear the white jersey with horrid mustard yellow pants. Man that was a terrible look.

Though the more i search my memory, i feel like i did wear white on white one time. The head is a little fuzzy these days, and i'm not talking about the bad haircut. :p

Bull Fan
February 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Not white on white, though HU had worn them at one time. I did have to wear the white jersey with horrid mustard yellow pants. Man that was a terrible look.

Though the more i search my memory, i feel like i did wear white on white one time. The head is a little fuzzy these days, and i'm not talking about the bad haircut. :p

Trust me, if you wore W/W I'd have let you have it xlolx

I think the first all white sighting was a road game at Delaware, Ian Butler at QB.

Uncle Buck
February 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I think it was also done back in the late 80's Mark Cox era

panther25
February 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah I don't approve of the black pants look either.

UND does that even though their school colors are green and white.

Let me ask you something. Is there anything currently inplace, that you DO approve?xlolx

89Hen
February 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Black in uniforms is blah. To me, the Oakland Raiders blazed that path, and everyone ever since has tried to rip it off. Just a lack of imagination, really.
For me, FSU wearing black was when it jumped the shark for me. xnodx

Bull Fan
February 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
FSU has had a great looking uni, I don't know why they went that route.

R.A.
February 19th, 2009, 09:00 PM
UCLA and USC have football teams? Who knew? They should move up to FCS! xwhistlex

xlolx

ASUG8
February 19th, 2009, 09:10 PM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/asucrutch23/unis.jpg

I'd like to see the boys in these.

Not lovin' it, but I'd still sit on the home side.xnodx Maybe with black pants......

Kill'em
February 19th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I don't care about the uniform rule but I hate taunting. I hope the rule reflects:
1- Bringing attention to one's self (the helmet rule), though I am talking about the chest-thumping and other gesturesof that nature.
2- Being in the face of another player (serious no-no xnonox)
3- Looking back at the opposing team while crossing the goal line, either holding the ball out for them, waving goodbye, and other acts.
4- Inciting the opposing fans (Crossing the goal line and giving the "shhh" - you know the fingers to the lips)

I'm all for celebrating a score. Football is an emotional game, however, guys can have fun without acting like jerks. xtwocentsx

For what it's worth, for the NFL, White Shoes wasn't taunting. And I find some of Chad Johnson's antics really funny. The "Ickey Shuffle" was a hoot.

Bull Fan
February 20th, 2009, 06:57 AM
What happens between HS and college for some kids?

I wish the coaches would be proactive in squelching some of these idiots, and I'm actually for throwing flags at ANY and ALL of the points Kill'em brings up. There's just no place in the game for any demonstrative behavior outside of a touchdown (certainly in moderation) and a win.

813Jag
February 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM
For me, FSU wearing black was when it jumped the shark for me. xnodx

FSU has had a great looking uni, I don't know why they went that route.
I'm all in favor of buring those unis. 1-2 with the one win being Duke is grounds for disposal of the unraked, I mean unconquered uniforms. xnonono2x

813Jag
February 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I don't care about the uniform rule but I hate taunting. I hope the rule reflects:
1- Bringing attention to one's self (the helmet rule), though I am talking about the chest-thumping and other gesturesof that nature.
2- Being in the face of another player (serious no-no xnonox)
3- Looking back at the opposing team while crossing the goal line, either holding the ball out for them, waving goodbye, and other acts.
4- Inciting the opposing fans (Crossing the goal line and giving the "shhh" - you know the fingers to the lips)

I'm all for celebrating a score. Football is an emotional game, however, guys can have fun without acting like jerks. xtwocentsx

For what it's worth, for the NFL, White Shoes wasn't taunting. And I find some of Chad Johnson's antics really funny. The "Ickey Shuffle" was a hoot.
I agree with 3 and 4. #2 I don't mind some jawing as long as it doesn go beyond that. Trash talking is what it is at this point, when you see 40+ year old guys talking trash in pickup games it's here to stay. And #1 if you mean removing your helmet has been a penalty since the Jack Jackson days at UF. (1995 or so).

813Jag
February 20th, 2009, 07:20 AM
What happens between HS and college for some kids?

I wish the coaches would be proactive in squelching some of these idiots, and I'm actually for throwing flags at ANY and ALL of the points Kill'em brings up. There's just no place in the game for any demonstrative behavior outside of a touchdown (certainly in moderation) and a win.
It's the culture of kids and some of the people who coach/mentor them. Watch young kids when they play, they emulate everything they see on TV. By the time they get to high school it's hard to redirect them. I don't know about other areas but here there are quite a few high school coaches my age (early 30's) on their first job that don't know how to control their kids. Lots of times players are a reflection of their coach. Coach Richardson at Southern doesn't go for all that stuff, if a player goes beyond normal celebration and gets a penalty, you better believe he'll hear it from the coaches.

walliver
February 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I hate taunting, but the proposed new rule is worrisome.

How many times has a team scored a go-ahead touchdown at the end of the game, but gets an excessive celebration penalty and has to kick off from the 20 (You thought the game was won, but the penalty lets the other team back in). It bothers me that a group of athletes celebration are punished this way (note: I mean celebrating, but not taunting, or dancing, or showing off)

With this proposed rule, referees would be able to call back game-winning scores. Instead of a game-ending and game-winning touchdown, a team could end up with the ball on the 15 with one play remaining in the game. Maybe if the rule could be defined in such a way that flagrant taunting, but not excessive celebration, is punished, I might be in agreement; but, that just seems like to much subjective room for SoCon refs to screw up with.

Bull Fan
February 25th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I don't mind "stifling" the celebrations, per se. Let the celebrations take place in the stands or on the sidelines. When you're on the field, show some class. Get the ball back the official and get off the field, or line up for the extra point.

cvbison1
February 25th, 2009, 02:29 PM

I agree, i love our road uniforms. they are very sharpxthumbsupx

MplsBison
February 25th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I agree, i love our road uniforms. they are very sharpxthumbsupx

They're gross. At least change it back to white uniforms and yellow pants.

UD77
February 25th, 2009, 02:58 PM

So what do you do if you play William & Mary - green jersey / yellow pants? Teams will still have to buy a white away uniform.

MplsBison
February 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM
So what do you do if you play William & Mary - green jersey / yellow pants? Teams will still have to buy a white away uniform.

Yellow jersey/green pants.

TCisMYhero
February 25th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I think they're legalizing green in california. Until then, all schools should be required to take that nappy azz color out of their uniforms.

AmsterBison
February 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM
BTW, I think my home state team must have the most official school colors of any school... white, black, yellow and red. I do love my state's flag.

http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/7/7/7/1/3/ar120787262331777.jpg

Great idea - one pair of colors for home games and the other for away games.

89Hen
February 26th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Great idea - one pair of colors for home games and the other for away games.
The Terps bball team has taken to wearing yellow at home again. I've seen football wear Red/White, Red/Red, Black/White, Black/Black, White/Red and White/White and I think the football team used to have a Yellow version too. So they actually do use all four colors.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RVLfSMIB7K0/R6-TlP_u1GI/AAAAAAAAGGs/D-YdVb14O3c/s400/001MDNCSU.jpg
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/10/29/PH2007102901818.jpg
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbeaversbeat/2007/12/medium_CHRIS%20TURNER.jpg
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/football/ncaa/specials/bowls/2007/12/27/emerald/t1_henderson.jpg
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2005/09/09/PH2005090900071.jpg
http://www.betfirms.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/img10998097-300x281.jpg

Eight Legger
February 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Is that #10 Will Ferrell? Who got him to put on a Maryland uniform?

89Hen
February 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Is that #10 Will Ferrell? Who got him to put on a Maryland uniform?
xlolx It's QB Chris Turner and they actually called him Napoleon Dynamite.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NuaAOqJdZk4/Rv_GVBR3i7I/AAAAAAAAAF4/xz2FHZTnkcM/s400/chris%2Bturner%2B2.jpeghttp://www.watchingcriminalminds.com/wp-content/uploads/Jon-Heder-google_1.jpg

bluehenbillk
February 26th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I wonder if UD/DSU will both wear home colors.

WestRiverBison
February 26th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Yellow jerseys, yellow helmets, green pants?? That combo would undoubtedly be hideous compared to our current away look. Unless you're into the Oregon thing...

MplsBison
February 26th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Yellow jerseys, yellow helmets, green pants?? That combo would undoubtedly be hideous compared to our current away look. Unless you're into the Oregon thing...

Couldn't be worse than our current away look. Might as well through pink in there since white, another non-school color, has been added.

turfdoc
February 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Has anyone here discussed this problem (I am not going to read 170 posts on wether of not white and balck should be included) if Miami (orange) goes and plays Oregon (Green) and they both wear their dark jerseys they look identical to 5% of the male population

89Hen
February 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I wonder if UD/DSU will both wear home colors.
I really liked DSU's off-whites they wore in 2007 in Newark. xnodx I think it was probably hard to tell on TV that they weren't white white.

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/images/fb07-michaud-dsu(mc)_lg.jpg

andy7171
February 27th, 2009, 09:04 AM
MPLS sticks to his guns! Gotta give him credit for that, no matter how insane the arguement.

89Hen
February 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM
xpeacex

http://williamandmarytribefans.com/files/2008/11/william-mary-3.gif

VS

MplsBison
February 27th, 2009, 09:20 AM
xpeacex

http://williamandmarytribefans.com/files/2008/11/william-mary-3.gif

VS

THat looks 10 million times better than the whites.

I hope they go with something like that.

andy7171
February 27th, 2009, 09:25 AM
THat looks 10 million times better than the whites.

I hope they go with something like that.

But the numbers are white.

MplsBison
February 27th, 2009, 09:36 AM
But the numbers are white.

There was an attached image the didn't copy to the quoted part.

Bull Fan
February 27th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Bill & Mary have a great home uniform. "Old Gold" and (forest) green beats the daylights out of a Yellow and Green combo any day.

andy7171
February 27th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Bill & Mary have a great home uniform. "Old Gold" and (forest) green beats the daylights out of a Yellow and Green combo any day.

W&M has "Metalic Gold", Towson has "Old Gold", the Steelers have "Yellow"

Bull Fan
February 27th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I thought old gold was the metallic as you mentioned... and what towson has is more 'yellow'... but it's all semantics. You know what I mean Andy? ;)

andy7171
February 27th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I thought old gold was the metallic as you mentioned... and what towson has is more 'yellow'... but it's all semantics. You know what I mean Andy? ;)

Yeah I know.

But the gold at Towson is more of a "yolk" color than the lighter brighter yellow of the Steelers.
You know what I mean BF? :) xpeacex