PDA

View Full Version : JMU schedule now set

BDKJMU
February 11th, 2009, 06:30 PM
9 of JMU's 11 opponents have released their schedules (bolded). The only 2 who haven't are Maine & Umass. Northeastern recently released they're playing UMass on 11/7, & URI recently released their schedule- is playing Maine on 11/14. So for JMU its official:
9/5 Bye
9/12 @ Maryland
9/19 VMI
9/26 @ Liberty
10/3 @Hofstra
10/10 UR (Family Weekend)
10/17 Nova, (HC)
10/24 @ W&M
10/31 @UD
11/7 Maine (Northeastern @ UMass)
11/14 @ UMass (URI @ Maine)
11/21 Towson

paward
February 11th, 2009, 07:04 PM
That is one tough schedule. October 10 to November 21 is going to be a brutal stretch. Can not wait to travel through those mountains on the tenth to see the leaves, and game. Good Luck!

aust42
February 11th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Good luck against MD. I went to the MD vs Delaware game last year and it was a great time. Maryland traditionaly starts off slow early in the season. They only beat us 14-7 and we sucked last year. (at least our O did) I just hope JMU doesn't lay an egg against them like you usually do vs 1A teams. Maryland is a middle of the pack beatable ACC team. Go Dukes!

Eight Legger
February 11th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Good use of the bye week there.

DTSpider
February 11th, 2009, 11:06 PM
That's a very tough schedule. No break and arguably the toughest 4 games right in a row.

Keeper
February 12th, 2009, 04:07 AM
That is one tough schedule. October 10 to November 21 is going to be a brutal stretch. Can not wait to travel through those mountains on the tenth to see the leaves, and game. Good Luck!

I wouldn't be overlooking Hofstra October 3rd xnodx
Especially with UR in their thoughts next week.

JMU Newbill
February 12th, 2009, 06:23 AM
At least we have our two most important games at home (not counting maryland as important... IMO a FBS loss first game of the season does not hurt your playoff chances).

Delaware and W&M will both be big games as well, but I really think the CAA is going to come down to a dog fight b/w Nova and UR. JMU needs to win AT LEAST one of those games if it wants to go to the playoffs.

whitey
February 12th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I still can't believe we are starting the year with a bye week. That's just terrible. Meanwhile Richmond, Delaware and William & Mary all have a bye week prior to playing us. Now that Maine's FBS opponent bought them out for September 5th is there any chance we open the year at home versus a CAA opponent?

dgreco
February 12th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I am surprised they couldn't move a game up to the 5th and save them a spot.

whitey
February 12th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I am surprised they couldn't move a game up to the 5th and save them a spot.

I have a feeling Bourne might still be trying to do that since the schedule hasn't "officially" been released. That's what I'm hoping at least.

andy7171
February 12th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Good luck against MD. I went to the MD vs Delaware game last year and it was a great time. Maryland traditionaly starts off slow early in the season. They only beat us 14-7 and we sucked last year. (at least our O did) I just hope JMU doesn't lay an egg against them like you usually do vs 1A teams. Maryland is a middle of the pack beatable ACC team. Go Dukes!

Maryland traditionally plays down to the competition. Always have. Weird. They get up for ranked teams but them go and lose the ones they should win. They always underestimate I-AA teams.

mcveyrl
February 12th, 2009, 07:18 AM
9 of JMU's 11 opponents have released their schedules (bolded). The only 2 who haven't are Maine & Umass. Northeastern recently released they're playing UMass on 11/7, & URI recently released their schedule- is playing Maine on 11/14. So for JMU its official:
9/5 Bye
9/12 @ Maryland
9/19 VMI
9/26 @ Liberty
10/3 @Hofstra
10/10 UR (Family Weekend)
10/17 Nova, (HC)
10/24 @ W&M
10/31 @UD
11/7 Maine (Northeastern @ UMass)
11/14 @ UMass (URI @ Maine)
11/21 Towson

I wouldn't be surprised to see us playing Maine or UMAss on the 5th. Otherwise, I'm really disappointed with how it worked out bye week wise.

Dignan
February 12th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I still can't believe we are starting the year with a bye week. That's just terrible. Meanwhile Richmond, Delaware and William & Mary all have a bye week prior to playing us. Now that Maine's FBS opponent bought them out for September 5th is there any chance we open the year at home versus a CAA opponent?

Heck, I'd offer to play at Maine the 5th in return for moving the game up to the beginning of the season.

boozeANDammo
February 12th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Absolutely brutal schedule and is the worst one I've ever seen for our football team in terms of how the bye fell out, the mix of road vs home games, consecutive difficult matchups, etc. I really struggle in logically seeing us make the playoffs in 09. Matter of fact, I see four, maybe five losses in there... with a best case 3 loss season. I sure do hope I'm wrong and really want to see what shakes out in the spring. :(

th0m
February 12th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Heck, I'd offer to play at Maine the 5th in return for moving the game up to the beginning of the season.

Only 4 home games? No way.

JMU Newbill
February 12th, 2009, 08:23 AM
We might as well stop referring to it as a "bye week". We are just starting our season late.

JMU Newbill
February 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Also... let's assume JMU gets a bid to the playoffs. Not the automatic bid, no first round bye.

To win the NC, we would have to play 15 games in 15 weeks. That's a tall order for college football. I mean, look at what happened to the Ravens this year in the playoffs. Yea, its pros and its a different ball game. But those guys were obviously worn out once they got to the playoffs.

BDKJMU
February 12th, 2009, 04:41 PM
At least we have our two most important games at home (not counting maryland as important... IMO a FBS loss first game of the season does not hurt your playoff chances).

Delaware and W&M will both be big games as well, but I really think the CAA is going to come down to a dog fight b/w Nova and UR. JMU needs to win AT LEAST one of those games if it wants to go to the playoffs.

No JMU doesn't. JMU could lose to MD, UR & Nova, still beat everyone else, and still make the playoffs at 8-3. But if JMU loses to both UR & Nova at home its probably less than 50/50 they win the other 8 IAA games to make playoffs.

At home JMU over the last 6 seasons:
33-5 home.
23-15 road.

JMU hasn't lost more than 1 in a season at home since 02'. Even though I could see either UR or Nova winning it all next season (remember the last 2 CAA teams to make the NC were 5-3 & 6-2 in the CAA) I think JMU will pull an upset over either UR or Nova. Course against UR the last 6 seasons JMU is 1-2 at home & 3-0 at their Richmond home away from home, Nova is due a win over JMU, and both UR & Nova should be preseason top 5 next season.

BDKJMU
February 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Absolutely brutal schedule and is the worst one I've ever seen for our football team in terms of how the bye fell out, the mix of road vs home games, consecutive difficult matchups, etc. I really struggle in logically seeing us make the playoffs in 09. Matter of fact, I see four, maybe five losses in there... with a best case 3 loss season. I sure do hope I'm wrong and really want to see what shakes out in the spring. :(

Look at the bright side. The 2 toughest I-AA games, UR & Nova, are both at home. If I had to wager right now, I'd be willing to bet $ JMU makes the playoffs. Don't think the CAA will get 5 in, but 4, and I think JMU will be one, and probably have to play @ a seeded ASU 1st round. xrolleyesx Course I'm an optimist.

JmuSkinsfan
February 12th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I think this will be the year we break Richmond's Bridgeforth streak. I say we beat UR and lose to 'Nova.

I think there will be a dogfight between JMU, UD, and W&M for potentially 1 spot for the playoffs. I think UR and 'Nova are locks, and then you get a team from the north. With the expanding playoff field (is that this year?) we could get 5 in but I doubt it. Of course all 3 teams have a new QB coming in, and while I'm very comfortable with Dudzik and UD is probably very happy with Devlin, you just never know...but that would be my prediction of the South...

'Nova
UR
JMU
UD
W&M
TOwson

South will dominate the north once again...especially since i think umass will be way down

wideright82
February 12th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I may be the jstclmet (sp?) this year and see how many dukes fans I can piss off before the season. I'll only be predicting JMU's season, and it should make for some fun.

9/5 Bye Loss, bye takes dukes to woodshed
9/12 @ Maryland Loss
9/19 VMI Win
9/26 @ Liberty Win
10/3 @Hofstra Win
10/10 UR (Family Weekend) Loss
10/17 Nova, (HC) Loss
10/24 @ W&M Loss
10/31 @UD Loss
11/7 Maine (Northeastern @ UMass) Loss
11/14 @ UMass (URI @ Maine) Win
11/21 Towson Win

That'll do.

No but seriously, that is one helacious schedule you have working there (but hey it is the CAA). I also wouldn't count out Nova having a bye that week before. Usually ours falls on our fall break, and that would be right around then I think. As for Nova finishing one in the south, I usually hate when we aren't overrated. Nova does best when we are overlooked by the media and others. Last two years are prime examples. '04 would be a prime example of when we were thought to be very high in the conference and faltered early. We shall see CAA..... we shall see.

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM
As for Nova finishing one in the south, I usually hate when we aren't overrated. Nova does best when we are overlooked by the media and others. Last two years are prime examples. '04 would be a prime example of when we were thought to be very high in the conference and faltered early. We shall see CAA..... we shall see.

I agree with your sentiment. Last year, we opened the season with high expectations ... even got up to Number 1, lost a few games to somewhat fall off the radar .. and then got hot.

It is tough to be the favorite. I will be interesting to see how UR and VU handle it. UR, VU, ASU should be pre-season top 3 (in no particular order).

Jackman
February 12th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I'm stunned that they're letting us host a Virginian team late in the season. Normally we go down there early in the season when it's hot, but they rarely come up here late in the season when it's cold.

JmuSkinsfan
February 12th, 2009, 07:34 PM
We're usually not very good up north. But Umass should be down this year, but it's still the CAA. Plus, Maine is coming TO JMU ...we aren't AT Maine...if that helps switch that L to a W so that would put us at 6-5 in your book... HEY...you really ARE the jtsclmet of this year!!!! Thanks! Hope it has the same effect ;)

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I'm stunned that they're letting us host a Virginian team late in the season. Normally we go down there early in the season when it's hot, but they rarely come up here late in the season when it's cold.

Do you have facts that really support this? In the last 10 years, Richmond has travelled to New England 4 times in November ... and hosted New England teams 6 times in September.

More games are typically played in September than in November.

Seems pretty even to me.

blukeys
February 12th, 2009, 09:30 PM
This looks like a tough schedule and I wish the Dukes my best against Maryland but I have a question.

Why is it that JMU is consistently the last CAA team to release their schedule?

This is just not this year. If one goes back on scheduling threads this becomes a regular occurrence. JMU has 8 games pre scheduled for an 11 game season.

How tough is it to find 3 additional games year in year out??xconfusedxxconfusedx

JMU is a quality program and should have no problem finding suitable opponents but in the end they scramble to fill out their schedule at the last minute.

Most CAA teams have their schedules set years in advance. Delaware's schedule (admittedly the other end of the spectrum) is set for the next few years and beyond. Most CAA teams are not scrambling at this time of year to fill out their schedule.

What is going on in the JMU Athletic Dept. that they can't accomplish what other CAA teams can do which is have a Football schedule by the first of the Year???

JmuSkinsfan
February 12th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Well we have the ACC games set through 2011 I believe and they started in 2007. So we have Maryland this year, and I believe Duke/UNC next year, and Maryland again in 2011.

Also, we had set up a 2 home-1 away series with liberty starting in 2008 but had to push it back because the home game was scheduled during fall break. We then pushed it back and made it a home and home 2 year series and, for some reason, fall break was cancelled thus we COULD have played Liberty last year (that would have been a good game). So now we have Liberty this year and home the next. That's 2 games right there. Throw in a couple "easy" games and that's our schedule...

I don't think it has so much to do with scheduling a team, but more so trying to fit the games to dates. I think we realize how screwed we are with this schedule and we may be trying to get Maine to come here for Sept. instead of November...or maybe even schedule an easier opponent for an additional home gme and a 12th total

Jackman
February 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
[Responding to BigHouseClosedEnd]

My observation is that Richmond does seem to get the short end. I don't actually think this trend is intentional, it's more a factor of the league wanting to match division opponents against each other late in the season, so you generally go from non-conference to inter-divisional to divisional. This season UMass has URI very early and JMU very late, so maybe they're diverging from that. It's not like winning the North or South counts for anything, as a hundred CAA haters will tell us.

BDKJMU
February 12th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I think this will be the year we break Richmond's Bridgeforth streak. I say we beat UR and lose to 'Nova.

I think there will be a dogfight between JMU, UD, and W&M for potentially 1 spot for the playoffs. I think UR and 'Nova are locks, and then you get a team from the north. With the expanding playoff field (is that this year?) we could get 5 in but I doubt it. Of course all 3 teams have a new QB coming in, and while I'm very comfortable with Dudzik and UD is probably very happy with Devlin, you just never know...but that would be my prediction of the South...

'Nova
UR
JMU
UD
W&M
TOwson

South will dominate the north once again...especially since i think umass will be way down

No. 2010.

BDKJMU
February 12th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I may be the jstclmet (sp?) this year and see how many dukes fans I can piss off before the season. I'll only be predicting JMU's season, and it should make for some fun.

9/12 @ Maryland Loss
9/19 VMI Win
9/26 @ Liberty Win
10/3 @Hofstra Win
10/17 Nova, (HC) Loss
10/24 @ W&M Loss
10/31 @UD Loss
11/21 Towson Win

That'll do.

No but seriously, that is one helacious schedule you have working there (but hey it is the CAA). I also wouldn't count out Nova having a bye that week before. Usually ours falls on our fall break, and that would be right around then I think. As for Nova finishing one in the south, I usually hate when we aren't overrated. Nova does best when we are overlooked by the media and others. Last two years are prime examples. '04 would be a prime example of when we were thought to be very high in the conference and faltered early. We shall see CAA..... we shall see.

Wanna make a wager on JMU going 5-6? I'll make an even wager with you JMU goes at least 7-4. JMU goes 6-5 or less, you win, JMU goes 7-4 or better I win. Name the amount.:)

BDKJMU
February 12th, 2009, 10:47 PM
This looks like a tough schedule and I wish the Dukes my best against Maryland but I have a question.

This is just not this year. If one goes back on scheduling threads this becomes a regular occurrence. JMU has 8 games pre scheduled for an 11 game season.

How tough is it to find 3 additional games year in year out??xconfusedxxconfusedx

JMU is a quality program and should have no problem finding suitable opponents but in the end they scramble to fill out their schedule at the last minute.

Most CAA teams have their schedules set years in advance. Delaware's schedule (admittedly the other end of the spectrum) is set for the next few years and beyond. Most CAA teams are not scrambling at this time of year to fill out their schedule.

What is going on in the JMU Athletic Dept. that they can't accomplish what other CAA teams can do which is have a Football schedule by the first of the Year???

Because the JMU AD sucks.

BDKJMU
February 12th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Well we have the ACC games set through 2011 I believe and they started in 2007. So we have Maryland this year, and I believe Duke/UNC next year, and Maryland again in 2011.

Also, we had set up a 2 home-1 away series with liberty starting in 2008 but had to push it back because the home game was scheduled during fall break. We then pushed it back and made it a home and home 2 year series and, for some reason, fall break was cancelled thus we COULD have played Liberty last year (that would have been a good game). So now we have Liberty this year and home the next. That's 2 games right there. Throw in a couple "easy" games and that's our schedule...

I don't think it has so much to do with scheduling a team, but more so trying to fit the games to dates. I think we realize how screwed we are with this schedule and we may be trying to get Maine to come here for Sept. instead of November...or maybe even schedule an easier opponent for an additional home gme and a 12th total

That would be dumber than simply having a bye on the 5th. 12 straight regular season games + playoffs would be worse than 11 + playoffs. If Bourne was stupid enough to do that I think he would definitely get fired.

Regardless, I don't think anyone in I-AA is playing 12 regular season games, as there's only 12 weekends before the playoffs as opposed to 13 last season when the 1st (Sat) games were Aug 30 as opposed to Sept 5 in 09'. I'm not sure even if you're allowed to schedule 12.

JmuSkinsfan
February 13th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Ohhh ok I had no idea. I was wondering why the first week wasn't until Sept. 5th so that makes sense. I figured after last year the 12 game schedule would be the norm so forget that 12th game comment. If we could move Maine up to Sept. 5 that would be ideal. But it's still a brutal schedule. That's what we get for pushing the Liberty series back a year (5 home, 6 away) opposed to (6 home, 5 away)

Dignan
February 13th, 2009, 06:23 AM

The only thing I can think of this year to excuse it would be if they're in discussions to move a game to Sept 5 in order to open up a bye week later in the season. But then, why are they in that situation to begin with?

whitey
February 13th, 2009, 07:12 AM

I don't think we have an FBS game for 2010 yet. We are back @ UNC in 2011, not Maryland.

The only plausible explanation for the football schedule not being officially released by now is that Bourne is trying to move a team or two around to get the bye later in the season. Our 2009 OOC slate has been set for at least 2 years now so that has to be the reason.

mcveyrl
February 13th, 2009, 08:14 AM

I agree with the frustration, but our OOC's have been known for a while.

wideright82
February 13th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Wanna make a wager on JMU going 5-6? I'll make an even wager with you JMU goes at least 7-4. JMU goes 6-5 or less, you win, JMU goes 7-4 or better I win. Name the amount.:)

I would LOVE to. HOWEVER, I don't actually think they will go 5-6, MAYBE 6-5 but to be honest I could see them having an 8-3 season also. I'm no idiot, I'm not betting with you JMU fans, for somereason the betting gods seem to like you. xlolx

On the other hand, I am a gamblin man, so let's do it. Just for fun, what say you? I'll take your 7-4 bet, I'll take the 6-5 or less. I am not creative though, so you can pick the booty.

wideright82
February 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Because the JMU AD sucks.

villanova STILL hasn't released theres. I am convinced that they wait til everyone else does so they can find out when they're playing.xlolx

mcveyrl
February 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I would LOVE to. HOWEVER, I don't actually think they will go 5-6, MAYBE 6-5 but to be honest I could see them having an 8-3 season also. I'm no idiot, I'm not betting with you JMU fans, for somereason the betting gods seem to like you. xlolx

On the other hand, I am a gamblin man, so let's do it. Just for fun, what say you? I'll take your 7-4 bet, I'll take the 6-5 or less. I am not creative though, so you can pick the booty.

I don't wanna come off as a bookie or anything, but to simplify it, you could just call it an over-under bet.

You've got under 7.

wideright82
February 13th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I don't wanna come off as a bookie or anything, but to simplify it, you could just call it an over-under bet.

You've got under 7.

I know..... I was just spelling it out for clarity's sake, and because I am having a hard time using words this morning. Kind of like I have never spoken a word of english before.:o

GannonFan
February 13th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Ohhh ok I had no idea. I was wondering why the first week wasn't until Sept. 5th so that makes sense. I figured after last year the 12 game schedule would be the norm so forget that 12th game comment. If we could move Maine up to Sept. 5 that would be ideal. But it's still a brutal schedule. That's what we get for pushing the Liberty series back a year (5 home, 6 away) opposed to (6 home, 5 away)

Yeah, 12 game schedules can only exist in FCS football when the calendar has an extra weekend between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. 2008 was such a year, but 2009 is not. The next time a 12 game schedule is permissable based on the calendar is 2013. I think there's still a proviso that if you play a road game in Hawaii you can schedule an extra game, but I'm not sure that applies to FCS schools (and frankly there aren't many trekking to the islands to play a game anyway).

mainejeff
February 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM
The next time a 12 game schedule is permissable based on the calendar is 2013. I think there's still a proviso that if you play a road game in Hawaii you can schedule an extra game, but I'm not sure that applies to FCS schools (and frankly there aren't many trekking to the islands to play a game anyway).

Maine did back in the 90s.

GannonFan
February 13th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Maine did back in the 90s.

I wouldn't be against going - but Oahu's the least attractive of all the islands and the stadium (Aloha Stadium) is a dump. With that said, I'm sure I could get over all that by taking an extra week on Kuaui. xnodx

BDKJMU
February 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Check your PMs.

wideright82
February 13th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Check your PMs.

This should be interesting. Another year, another JMU vs. Villanova matchup on JMU's record xlolx

jstclmet
February 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM

9/12 @ Maryland Loss
9/19 VMI Win
9/26 @ Liberty Win
10/3 @Hofstra Win
10/17 Nova, (HC) Loss
10/24 @ W&M Loss
10/31 @UD Loss
11/21 Towson Win

That'll do.

While I had a pretty good year in my predictions, I think this year I will wait until the week prior to 9/3. There are a great many unknowns out there. While I'm high on Nova, I'd still like to see some of their Aug practices.

While UD has a QB, I think they still have a multitude of problems. Someone had them over W&M, but I can't see it. Being very generous, Devlin may = two more wins than last year.

JMU's issues continue to be on defense, and now they have to sculpt a new offense based on returning players. You could very well win your "Under" bet.

UR was and is impressive. They did something I didn't think they had in them. They found a way to win. That comes from Coaching. They will be a force even with the graduation of their two DE's.

Outside of their QB, I'm not sure how hard W&M got hit by graduation. I think thye have a good core coming back, and could battle for the #3 spot. I think one of the JMU posters had W&M in a dog fight with JMU & UD. It could very well be;
#3 W&M
#4 JMU
#5 UD

No disrepect to TU, but they've got a lot of rebuilding to do.

As for the North, my initial appraisal with very little to support it would be UNH & Maine battling for the top spot, and the rest jumbled near the bottom.

Not a prediction yet, just some rough thoughts.

wideright82
February 13th, 2009, 04:38 PM
While I had a pretty good year in my predictions, I think this year I will wait until the week prior to 9/3. There are a great many unknowns out there. While I'm high on Nova, I'd still like to see some of their Aug practices.

While UD has a QB, I think they still have a multitude of problems. Someone had them over W&M, but I can't see it. Being very generous, Devlin may = two more wins than last year.

JMU's issues continue to be on defense, and now they have to sculpt a new offense based on returning players. You could very well win your "Under" bet.

UR was and is impressive. They did something I didn't think they had in them. They found a way to win. That comes from Coaching. They will be a force even with the graduation of their two DE's.

Outside of their QB, I'm not sure how hard W&M got hit by graduation. I think thye have a good core coming back, and could battle for the #3 spot. I think one of the JMU posters had W&M in a dog fight with JMU & UD. It could very well be;
#3 W&M
#4 JMU
#5 UD

As for the North, my initial appraisal with very little to support it would be UNH & Maine battling for the top spot, and the rest jumbled near the bottom.

I know it is "anti-nova" to say this, but I actually have some high hopes for Delaware. Maybe it is because I would love victory 4 in a row to come when they are doing so well, but also because I have this hunch in me. I can't wait for this season.

JmuSkinsfan
February 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I'm not too sure W&M really has it in them. Apparently their QB should be pretty good and the Tribe fans can vouch for that ... but I still don't think they can overtake JMU in the head to head this year...and I think that's what will be the difference in JMU being 8-3 and W&M being 7-4.

I could see the final South going something like this...

'Nova: 9-2
UR: 9-2
JMU: 8-3
W&M: 7-4
UD: 7-4
Towson: 2-9

wideright82
February 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm not too sure W&M really has it in them. Apparently their QB should be pretty good and the Tribe fans can vouch for that ... but I still don't think they can overtake JMU in the head to head this year...and I think that's what will be the difference in JMU being 8-3 and W&M being 7-4.

I could see the final South going something like this...

'Nova: 9-2
UR: 9-2
JMU: 8-3
W&M: 7-4
UD: 7-4
Towson: 2-9

Poooooooor andyyy. xlolx Richmond and Nova at 9-2? How do they manage that?

mainejeff
February 13th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't be against going - but Oahu's the least attractive of all the islands and the stadium (Aloha Stadium) is a dump. With that said, I'm sure I could get over all that by taking an extra week on Kuaui. xnodx

Beautiful island......my favorite! xnodxxthumbsupx

GannonFan
February 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM

"very generous" and just two more wins??? It's not like the cupboard's bare in Newark. Excellent defense that was very good last year and still had a slew of starters out injured, and a very good WR corps that was left hanging in the wind without a QB to get them the ball. It's hard to think of a greater improvement in one position than what Devlin is compared to what went on last year. Couple that with a schedule that is far more favorable this year, and I think you're vaslty underselling the potential of this team. Certainly they may not hit the upside, but you're saying the upside is 6 wins max - that's just a nova fan talking. xnonox

jstclmet
February 13th, 2009, 10:27 PM
"very generous" and just two more wins??? It's not like the cupboard's bare in Newark. Excellent defense that was very good last year and still had a slew of starters out injured, and a very good WR corps that was left hanging in the wind without a QB to get them the ball. It's hard to think of a greater improvement in one position than what Devlin is compared to what went on last year. Couple that with a schedule that is far more favorable this year, and I think you're vaslty underselling the potential of this team. Certainly they may not hit the upside, but you're saying the upside is 6 wins max - that's just a nova fan talking. xnonox

You still need an O-Line, and a game plan.

Starting with the O-Line, you're hoping what you have doesn't get overwhelmed by the rest of the CAA. You're also hoping the addition of Devlin, would at least get the ball out quicker and more accurately than the QB's you had in 08. You're hoping to get at least 2.8 seconds out of whatever you strut out on the field in Sept. Good luck with that xeyebrowx

Game Plan. Who's your OC again??? And what will he do different with the talent you have this year versus what you had in 08??? Do the Hens have an offensive identity??? Talk about re-creating the wheel. You guys have a lot of work to do this Spring, then even more in Aug, when you find out if you like or don't like what you've seen up to that point. And PLEASE, don't throw the players under the bus like last year, man up and acknowledge that your team isn't very good.

Enjoy that #4 spot, and hope that TU doesn't improve too quickly. xlolx

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 14th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Game Plan. Who's your OC again??? And what will he do different with the talent you have this year versus what you had in 08??? Do the Hens have an offensive identity??? Talk about re-creating the wheel. You guys have a lot of work to do this Spring, then even more in Aug, when you find out if you like or don't like what you've seen up to that point. And PLEASE, don't throw the players under the bus like last year, man up and acknowledge that your team isn't very good.

Did I see somewhere that UD has a New OC that is coming from Bowling Green ... and they will be running out of the Pistol some? Do I have any of those facts right?

BDKJMU
February 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM

#3 W&M
#4 JMU
#5 UD

You were ignorant about JMU last season (for those who don't know, jstclmet picked JMU to go 6-5 last season), and continue to be. JMU had the #2 ranked defense in the CAA last season, and will likely be a little better this season on defense.

JmuSkinsfan
February 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, our defensive line is very strong, and we now have experienced, young LBs. only 2/5 in the secondary return but if we can solve the CB issues we should be a dominant defense.

Tribe4SF
February 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM
JMU's defense will have a number of new faces replacing some very good players. Three DBs and two DLs including three all CAA guys. Branding the 2009 defense as better is a bit premature, and calling it dominant may just be a stretch. The Dukes have some good defenders back (Moats and Daniels), but it takes 11 guys, and depth to make a good D.

JmuSkinsfan
February 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
We have some studs coming in to fill these holes. Granted, it won't be easy, but we are now at the point where we reload, not rebuild. Pat Williams at S started last year as a freshman and will be able to step up. We have a lot of top recruits stepping in. At LB we have the same freshman from last year who have a year under their belts. And I think we are stacked at DE. Only ? in my opinion is the last CB spot and the DT position. If those are filled, we should be fine.

Tribe4SF
February 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM
We have some studs coming in to fill these holes. Granted, it won't be easy, but we are now at the point where we reload, not rebuild. Pat Williams at S started last year as a freshman and will be able to step up. We have a lot of top recruits stepping in. At LB we have the same freshman from last year who have a year under their belts. And I think we are stacked at DE. Only ? in my opinion is the last CB spot and the DT position. If those are filled, we should be fine.

I love you guys!xthumbsupx Build a beast in there next time.

th0m
February 14th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Never mind the players, how about a coordinator?

Tribe4SF
February 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Never mind the players, how about a coordinator?

There is that, as well. UR facing the same transition.

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I love you guys!xthumbsupx Build a beast in there next time.

Agreed, it would be great to have the post read by an agressive professional wrestling announcer also!

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 14th, 2009, 02:53 PM
There is that, as well. UR facing the same transition.

We are. I think our defense will differ in '09 more because of the loss of Logan and Sidbury. I would expect we'll have to do a bunch more blitzing to create pressure. Fortunately, we do have a good secondary.

Nick Battle and Pierre Turner are solid DE's, but there will be a dropoff from last year ... how significant the dropoff could determine our success.

JMU DJ
February 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM
A good friend broke this news story on a peer FCS website and I thought I would share it with the JMU/CAA fans at AGS. Apparently Maine is in the process of having their September 5th game with Florida State bought out for $450,000 so that FSU can play Miami on ESPN for their season opener.

This leads me to think that JMU will hopefully convince Maine to play on September 5th and give the Dukes a much needed bye week later in the season. Hopefully JMU delaying putting out an official schedule could be a good thing.

http://www.bangornews.com/detail/99193.html

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
A good friend broke this news story on a peer FCS website and I thought I would share it with the JMU/CAA fans at AGS. Apparently Maine is in the process of having their September 5th game with Florida State bought out for $450,000 so that FSU can play Miami on ESPN for their season opener.

This leads me to think that JMU will hopefully convince Maine to play on September 5th and give the Dukes a much needed bye week later in the season. Hopefully JMU delaying putting out an official schedule could be a good thing.

http://www.bangornews.com/detail/99193.html

What would motivate Maine to come down to Virginia the first weekend in September? The article seems to indicate that maine is trying to get another FBS team to open with.

Good deal for Maine - $450,000 from FSU for not playing!

JMU DJ
February 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
What would motivate Maine to come down to Virginia the first weekend in September? The article seems to indicate that maine is trying to get another FBS team to open with.

Good deal for Maine - $450,000 from FSU for not playing!

It is a great deal for Maine

The article mentions other schools have contacted Maine about the game slot... I could only assume our AD hopefully got in touch after hearing the news. It's more wishful thinking I guess, but it would be great for JMU's already hellacious schedule to get that bye week (even if it's towards the end of the season).

Syntax Error
February 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I think there's still a proviso that if you play a road game in Hawaii you can schedule an extra game, but I'm not sure that applies to FCS schools (and frankly there aren't many trekking to the islands to play a game anyway).
17.11.5.2 Annual Exemptions. [FCS/FBS]
Any football games played in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico, respectively, either against or under the sponsorship of an active member institution located in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico, by a Division I member institution located outside the area in questionA bunch of FCSers could take advantage of it. Hawai'i likes their FCS opponents just recently see Portland State in 2000, Montana in 2001, Eastern Illinois 2002 and 2006, Appalachian State 2003, Northern Colorado and Charleston Southern in 2007, and of course Weber State last year.

GannonFan
February 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
You still need an O-Line, and a game plan.

Starting with the O-Line, you're hoping what you have doesn't get overwhelmed by the rest of the CAA. You're also hoping the addition of Devlin, would at least get the ball out quicker and more accurately than the QB's you had in 08. You're hoping to get at least 2.8 seconds out of whatever you strut out on the field in Sept. Good luck with that xeyebrowx

Enjoy that #4 spot, and hope that TU doesn't improve too quickly. xlolx

Even with a bad offensive line last year, we still managed to be in just about every game in the 4th quarter except for the JMU game - so this year change the fact that we have a stud at QB and a new offensive coordinator, and yes, things can be very different. It's not like UD got blown out last year. Just like last year, you had a lot of your picks go awry - looks like you're starting on the same foot. If you can't see the difference between Schoenhoft and Devlin you're blind.

jstclmet
February 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Even with a bad offensive line last year, we still managed to be in just about every game in the 4th quarter except for the JMU game - so this year change the fact that we have a stud at QB and a new offensive coordinator, and yes, things can be very different. It's not like UD got blown out last year. Just like last year, you had a lot of your picks go awry - looks like you're starting on the same foot. If you can't see the difference between Schoenhoft and Devlin you're blind.

Sir, I'm in complete agreement with you. You were even with all of your opponents last year at the beginning of the game, then came the Opening kickoff xoopsx

82% correct, using my fingers, toes, elbows, & nose, lemme see, I think that would mean I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 18% wrong. Yes, I could see how you might call that "...A lot going awry.." Where did I go wrong??? Oh yea, I picked JMU to win less, and UD to finish at .500

What was I thinking back in Feb08 xnonono2x

I truly underestimated RL and his impact on the game for JMU. I clearly overestimated what Keeler could do with UDxnonono2x

Remind me, how many teams with winning records did UD beat???

As for being in the games in the 4th qtr, I personally witnessed the UD faithfull leaving at halftime of the season finale. I mean, yea it was bitterly cold, but I thought the UD fans stayed to the end of their games. They were keeping us Nova fans warm until half time when they left.xlolx

Lastly, it's silly to compare RS to PD. RS may be a better runner, and may have been able to shed tacklers better than PD. PD will not have PSU's line to play behind. Again, PD alone won't be able to part the red sea or anyone's defensive line.

See you on the mainline in late Nov. I know you'll only be staying for a half, but bring the handwarmers anyway. :p

pitpen
February 14th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Sir, I'm in complete agreement with you. You were even with all of your opponents last year at the beginning of the game, then came the Opening kickoff xoopsx

82% correct, using my fingers, toes, elbows, & nose, lemme see, I think that would mean I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 18% wrong. Yes, I could see how you might call that "...A lot going awry.." Where did I go wrong??? Oh yea, I picked JMU to win less, and UD to finish at .500

What was I thinking back in Feb08 xnonono2x

I truly underestimated RL and his impact on the game for JMU. I clearly overestimated what Keeler could do with UDxnonono2x

Remind me, how many teams with winning records did UD beat???

As for being in the games in the 4th qtr, I personally witnessed the UD faithfull leaving at halftime of the season finale. I mean, yea it was bitterly cold, but I thought the UD fans stayed to the end of their games. They were keeping us Nova fans warm until half time when they left.xlolx

Lastly, it's silly to compare RS to PD. RS may be a better runner, and may have been able to shed tacklers better than PD. PD will not have PSU's line to play behind. Again, PD alone won't be able to part the red sea or anyone's defensive line.

See you on the mainline in late Nov. I know you'll only be staying for a half, but bring the handwarmers anyway. :p

How is it possible to keep that which doesn't exist warm?

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 15th, 2009, 09:03 AM

What would qualify as 'Parting the Red Sea'? Devlin is definitely cause for concern. In my opinion, here's the proof:

Ohio State fans didn't care when Shoenhoft left Ohio State. Penn State fans were highly bothered that Devlin left there.

The kid is going to make an immediate impact.

I also expect the Delaware offensive line is going to get sick of hearing how awful they are ... and work extra hard in the offseason.

Delaware will have every oppotunity to compete for the conference championship. They get both Richmond and JMU up there ... and they'll have virtual home games at both Villanova and Towson.

jstclmet
February 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM
What would qualify as 'Parting the Red Sea'? Devlin is definitely cause for concern. In my opinion, here's the proof:

Ohio State fans didn't care when Shoenhoft left Ohio State. Penn State fans were highly bothered that Devlin left there.

The kid is going to make an immediate impact.

I also expect the Delaware offensive line is going to get sick of hearing how awful they are ... and work extra hard in the offseason.

Delaware will have every oppotunity to compete for the conference championship. They get both Richmond and JMU up there ... and they'll have virtual home games at both Villanova and Towson.

Go on GOHENS.NET and take a look at what all of the UD faithful are saying about who's returning at O-Line, and who can play where. They have doubts themselves, and have trouble putting together a starting five. This from people who have seen the kids over the years. A good many of them wanted xfer O-Lineman as much as a QB.

The prior UD QB's had to run for their lives and try and throw accurately. They both lacked touch and had trouble throwing over LB's and under the DB's. PD may be a little more accurate (we'll see), but at PSU he had a nice OLine to play behind. He won't have that luxury with UD, and I'm not sure he has the bulk like RS to shed Dlineman & LB's (which he will need to be able to do).

Every offense begins with their O-Line. You cannot run, nor pass if you don't have a decent offensive line. In the CAA, you also need a good QB to run your offense (whatever offense that may be, and the recent trend is towards the "Spread").

Contrarily, the Ravens won a SuperBowl with a mediocre QB. But, they had a tremendous O-Line, running game, and defense. All their QB had to do was not lose the game for them.

I don't deny that PD wouldn't have done well at PSU. If the starter there goes down, he may have wish he stayed. But, UD is no PSU.

I don't harbor any ill-will towards UD, I'm just objectively echoing what they're already saying.

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 16th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Go on GOHENS.NET and take a look at what all of the UD faithful are saying about who's returning at O-Line, and who can play where. They have doubts themselves, and have trouble putting together a starting five. This from people who have seen the kids over the years. A good many of them wanted xfer O-Lineman as much as a QB.

The prior UD QB's had to run for their lives and try and throw accurately. They both lacked touch and had trouble throwing over LB's and under the DB's. PD may be a little more accurate (we'll see), but at PSU he had a nice OLine to play behind. He won't have that luxury with UD, and I'm not sure he has the bulk like RS to shed Dlineman & LB's (which he will need to be able to do).

Every offense begins with their O-Line. You cannot run, nor pass if you don't have a decent offensive line. In the CAA, you also need a good QB to run your offense (whatever offense that may be, and the recent trend is towards the "Spread").

Contrarily, the Ravens won a SuperBowl with a mediocre QB. But, they had a tremendous O-Line, running game, and defense. All their QB had to do was not lose the game for them.

I don't deny that PD wouldn't have done well at PSU. If the starter there goes down, he may have wish he stayed. But, UD is no PSU.

I don't harbor any ill-will towards UD, I'm just objectively echoing what they're already saying.

Listen, I don't need an education on why having a good offensive line is important. I'm just saying Delaware can be much better if they are only marginally better on their O-line ... and a good bit better at QB.

Their core problem last year was their inability to throw any pass effectively, no matter how well protection held up.

GannonFan
February 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Listen, I don't need an education on why having a good offensive line is important. I'm just saying Delaware can be much better if they are only marginally better on their O-line ... and a good bit better at QB.

Their core problem last year was their inability to throw any pass effectively, no matter how well protection held up.

Amen to that. It's not like we were stacked on the offensive line in '07 and that seemed to work out pretty well for us, and our defense in '09 is significantly better than that in '07. It's amazing what having at least a competent QB can do for we - we saw what happens last year when you don't have even that.

JMU Newbill
February 17th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Amen to that. It's not like we were stacked on the offensive line in '07 and that seemed to work out pretty well for us, and our defense in '09 is significantly better than that in '07. It's amazing what having at least a competent QB can do for we - we saw what happens last year when you don't have even that.

What... you don't want your back-up place kick holder playing qb?

No but seriously... I think every UD fan has got to be stoked to finally have a fixture at qb (or so it would seem).

Tribe4SF
February 17th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Amen to that. It's not like we were stacked on the offensive line in '07...

Opposing teams would disagree with that. Tribe players rated the UD OL as the best they faced all year.

bluehenbillk
February 17th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Opposing teams would disagree with that. Tribe players rated the UD OL as the best they faced all year.

I think GF is referring more to the playoff run where UD had all kinds of injuries on the OL & threw a 245lb FR OT out there for the last 3 games & still got the job done. Another starter missed some or all of some games, Nicholson. Granted we had 3 pretty good players in Bryne, Beverley & Hendricks that year.

Tribe4SF
February 17th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I think GF is referring more to the playoff run where UD had all kinds of injuries on the OL & threw a 245lb FR OT out there for the last 3 games & still got the job done. Another starter missed some or all of some games, Nicholson. Granted we had 3 pretty good players in Bryne, Beverley & Hendricks that year.

Three pretty good ones, indeed. Only Nicholson remains from the core of the 2007 OL. The fact that the 245 lb. FR was forced to play, may have been the early evidence of issues to come on the OL. He played at 265 last year, and struggled mightily against the Tribe DEs.

My point in responding to GF was that the 2007 OL was very good, and was a key to UDs success. Young Hens may rise up and fortify the OL this year, but the play needs significant improvement or even Pat Devlin will have difficulty delivering a playoff season.

GannonFan
February 17th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Three pretty good ones, indeed. Only Nicholson remains from the core of the 2007 OL. The fact that the 245 lb. FR was forced to play, may have been the early evidence of issues to come on the OL. He played at 265 last year, and struggled mightily against the Tribe DEs.

My point in responding to GF was that the 2007 OL was very good, and was a key to UDs success. Young Hens may rise up and fortify the OL this year, but the play needs significant improvement or even Pat Devlin will have difficulty delivering a playoff season.

It's not just the offensive line, it's playcalling as well. Last year's OC did no favors to the offensive line by rarely keeping anyone in to help block on passing plays and, with the absence of a passing game (playcalling and bad QB) the line was constantly trying to run against a loaded box. The offensive line played relatively well for 4-5 games before the issues at QB became so apparent on film that teams easily adapted to UD's problems. Having Devlin at QB means that won't happen this year. He's got a very good receiving corps to throw to and defenses will not be able to play like they did last year against the Hens. Plus, I'm sure this OC will occassionally leave someone in to chip if needed.

Tribe4SF
February 17th, 2009, 08:54 AM
It's not just the offensive line, it's playcalling as well. Last year's OC did no favors to the offensive line by rarely keeping anyone in to help block on passing plays and, with the absence of a passing game (playcalling and bad QB) the line was constantly trying to run against a loaded box. The offensive line played relatively well for 4-5 games before the issues at QB became so apparent on film that teams easily adapted to UD's problems. Having Devlin at QB means that won't happen this year. He's got a very good receiving corps to throw to and defenses will not be able to play like they did last year against the Hens. Plus, I'm sure this OC will occassionally leave someone in to chip if needed.

The reaction of opposing teams in preparing for the Hens offense was pretty simple. No blitz needed because we can get to the QB with just the front four. When your OL needs help to handle four DLs you're in trouble. Watch the three clips below...all sacks using a four man rush. On the first play, there's even a RB helping.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/ud/tracysack.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/ud/stoversack.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/ud/hydesack.html

jmufan999
February 17th, 2009, 11:06 AM
how do all these people know that Devlin is going to be better than Schoenhoft? i might be butchering the spelling there. SPECIFICS, people. what SPECIFICALLY is Devlin going to do better than Schoenhoft? i just thought it was funny to watch the UD fans go from "Schoenhoft is going to be amazing" to "Schoenhoft is a bum". i guess i'm just wondering why Devlin is going to be different.

NOW. I'M NOT SAYING he's not going to be good. he might be the best FCS player in the history of time. but i'm looking for specific reasons from his supporters as to whyhe's going to be better, from people that have seen both QB's play with their own eyes. this is more of an inquisitive thing, don't take it as me attacking you. i'm not.

GannonFan
February 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM
how do all these people know that Devlin is going to be better than Schoenhoft? i might be butchering the spelling there. SPECIFICS, people. what SPECIFICALLY is Devlin going to do better than Schoenhoft? i just thought it was funny to watch the UD fans go from "Schoenhoft is going to be amazing" to "Schoenhoft is a bum". i guess i'm just wondering why Devlin is going to be different.

NOW. I'M NOT SAYING he's not going to be good. he might be the best FCS player in the history of time. but i'm looking for specific reasons from his supporters as to whyhe's going to be better, from people that have seen both QB's play with their own eyes. this is more of an inquisitive thing, don't take it as me attacking you. i'm not.

First of all, I don't remember the majority of UD fans touting how great Schoenhoft was going to be. He was always an unknown thanks to no playing time at Ohio St and as such, no one knew what we had. But by early Spring last year it was clear that Schoenhoft was going to be a big step down. And it was clear througout the summer that UD had major issues at QB. They didn't bring a JUCO QB in late in the summer because they felt confident about Schoenhoft.

Mechanically, Schoenhoft had a hitch in his motion. That's something right off the bat that Devlin is better than him with. In addition, Devlin played meaningful minutes for Penn St in real games - Schoenhoft did not. Devlin almost won the starting job at Penn St, only eventually losing out at the last moment to an upperclassmen, as is the norm at Penn St - Shoenhoft was being tried out as a TE at Ohio St before leaving. And once he got here, Schoenhoft's last, big problem was that he was a turnover machine - again, with Devlin's actual playing time at Penn St, he's a huge improvement over that.

Devlin came out of high school with a far better pedigree than Schoenhoft, and has actually competed and excelled at the college level, whereas Schoenhoft had not. There's almost no objective way that you can say that Devlin isn't a significant step up from Schoenhoft.

JMU DJ
February 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I thought this was a thread about JMU's schedule xconfusedx Not a Delaware v W&M battle royal.

Any word from any Maine insiders who may know what you are doing with your September 5th open date now that you've got SU later on?

JMU Newbill
February 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I've been bugging them about that all day DJ. They don't want any part of JMU in the "September Heat" that Virginia supposedly has.

Tribe4SF
February 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I've been bugging them about that all day DJ. They don't want any part of JMU in the "September Heat" that Virginia supposedly has.

I don't blame them. Over the years I've watched New England teams struggle with the heat against Virginia teams in September.

BDKJMU
February 17th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I thought this was a thread about JMU's schedule xconfusedx Not a Delaware v W&M battle royal.

Any word from any Maine insiders who may know what you are doing with your September 5th open date now that you've got SU later on?

Now that they're not playing FSU on the 5th, I assume that leaves them with 10 games over the 12 weekends of the season, with the other open weekend probably falling somewhere between late Sept to late Oct. Now I would imagine option # 1 for them would be seeking out another I-A team that currently only has 11 games (remember the I-As will play 12). Why not go for another big payday? The best chance they have of getting another I-A opponent would be Sept 5. If they can't then then they could seek one on their other open weekend. If no luck there then they could try Nov 7, knowing JMU would gladly switch. If they can't find another I-A then maybe they'll seek out a I-AA for their 11th game. Again, their best chance is going to be on Sept 5. If no luck with a I-A or I-AA, they have to seek Div II. Bottom line is Maine needs to find an 11th game replacement for FSU, and Sept 5, being the opening game of the season, will be their best bet. Finding another opponent at this late a date isn't going to be easy.

The weather would be the 2nd biggest reason for not wanting to switch.

Maine playing JMU on the 5th in all liklihood isn't going to happen.

Bottom line is Bourne f'ed up the schedule big time- there's no excuse to have only 5 home games, with you're bye coming the 1st week of the season.

PapaBear
February 17th, 2009, 03:27 PM

At this level, QBs set protection on many pass plays -- and that usually includes whether to keep backs and/or TEs in to block. If your pass protection failed you last year, the problem might have been personnel (your guys may simply have been overmatched in some games). It might also have also been the QB's inability to properly set his protection at the LOS. But playcalling was probably the least significant cause of the problem.

I'm not arguing that your playcalling was effective. I'm just doubting that it played much of a role in your poor pass pro.

JMU DJ
February 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM

xnonono2x Harrisonburg is in a windy valley in the mountains... I sure do remember all that humidity in September xconfusedxxrolleyesx

Keeper
February 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM
The schedules are firming up fast.
Here's the available FBSers.

NEEDS TO ADD ONE OPPONENT
Akron
Arkansas State
Colorado State
Florida Atlantic
Houston
Kansas State
Kentucky
Louisville
Mississippi
Ohio
Rutgers
TCU

Keeper
February 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Akron
Arkansas State
Colorado State
Florida Atlantic
Houston
Kansas State
Kentucky
Louisville
Mississippi
Ohio
Rutgers
TCU

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Supposedly has? xconfusedx xconfusedx

The last time UNH played at JMU it was the opening game for UNH and week two of the season IIRC. I know I had to work and was unable to attend the game, but I recall it being hot and humid as hell in CT that day. Without a doubt, CT has the hottest and most humid weather of the six New England states. And I've been to VA in the Summer and CT heat and humidity doesn't hold a candle to that horrendous junk you have down there. And I do recall talking to our radio announcer about how nasty it was that day in Harrisonburg. And he's far more tolerant of heat and humidity than I am!! xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

Maine would be out of their freaking mind to reschedule to play at JMU on Sept. 5th!! But if you want to, then get a guarantee that JMU comes to Orono during the last week of the season next time around. Man, I'd love to see JMU play in the conditions in Orono this past season on that Saturday. :p xwhistlex xbowx And to listen to their fan base complain. xnodx xlolx xlolx I'll do my best to get UNH to forego the annual season ending rivalry game for a year. Hey, we can play for the musket the week before, that's no problem. Well worth it to see JMU go to Orono deep into November. The reporters will need an extra notepad and tape to get everything Mickey has to say! ;) xrotatehx xeekx xlolx xlolx xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
February 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM

The last time UNH played at JMU it was the opening game for UNH and week two of the season IIRC. I know I had to work and was unable to attend the game, but I recall it being hot and humid as hell in CT that day. Without a doubt, CT has the hottest and most humid weather of the six New England states. And I've been to VA in the Summer and CT heat and humidity doesn't hold a candle to that horrendous junk you have down there. And I do recall talking to our radio announcer about how nasty it was that day in Harrisonburg. And he's far more tolerant of heat and humidity than I am!! xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

Maine would be out of their freaking mind to reschedule to play at JMU on Sept. 5th!! But if you want to, then get a guarantee that JMU comes to Orono during the last week of the season next time around. Man, I'd love to see JMU play in the conditions in Orono this past season on that Saturday. :p xwhistlex xbowx And to listen to their fan base complain. xnodx xlolx xlolx I'll do my best to get UNH to forego the annual season ending rivalry game for a year. Hey, we can play for the musket the week before, that's no problem. Well worth it to see JMU go to Orono deep into November. The reporters will need an extra notepad and tape to get everything Mickey has to say! ;) xrotatehx xeekx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I was there...it was stupit hot.

How about JMU in Orono the week before Thanksgiving?xlolxxlolx

BDKJMU
February 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Akron
Arkansas State
Colorado State
Florida Atlantic
Houston
Kansas State
Kentucky
Louisville
Mississippi
Ohio
Rutgers
TCU

Link? Which of them have openings Sept 5?

PhoenixMan
February 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
very difficult schedule. Tough each week, a lot of much improved teams.

BDKJMU
February 17th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Now that they're not playing FSU on the 5th, I assume that leaves them with 10 games over the 12 weekends of the season, with the other open weekend probably falling somewhere between late Sept to late Oct. Now I would imagine option # 1 for them would be seeking out another I-A team that currently only has 11 games (remember the I-As will play 12). Why not go for another big payday? The best chance they have of getting another I-A opponent would be Sept 5. If they can't then then they could seek one on their other open weekend. If no luck there then they could try Nov 7, knowing JMU would gladly switch. If they can't find another I-A then maybe they'll seek out a I-AA for their 11th game. Again, their best chance is going to be on Sept 5. If no luck with a I-A or I-AA, they have to seek Div II. Bottom line is Maine needs to find an 11th game replacement for FSU, and Sept 5, being the opening game of the season, will be their best bet. Finding another opponent at this late a date isn't going to be easy.

The weather would be the 2nd biggest reason for not wanting to switch.

Maine playing JMU on the 5th in all liklihood isn't going to happen.

Bottom line is Bourne f'ed up the schedule big time- there's no excuse to have only 5 home games, with you're bye coming the 1st week of the season.

Just released today- Maine is playing Syracuse on Sept 26.
http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021609aaa.html

Would Maine now have 11 opponents scheduled? If so, they, like JMU, would have an open date on Sept 5. Even if thats the case, I don't see Maine wiling to make the change.

BDKJMU
February 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM

1st home game of the yr is usually a 6 PM night game. I remember the 07' UNH game was originally scheduled for 6 PM, but was moved to a 3:30 PM. kickoff due to TV. The temp at kickoff (according to the game notes) was 92 degrees, with the heat index it was pushing 100. I remember sweating my balls off at the tailgate, & I was in the shade half the time. The student side is in the afternoon sunlight. Apparently a lot of students weren't adequately hydrated (at least not with water xnodx), & they ran out of water at concessions for awhile. So the majority of the students left at halftime of what was at the half a close game between 2 top 10 teams. Same thing happened this past season with the UMass game, the 2nd home game, although it wasn't as hot as the UNH game the yr before.

If its an afternoon game & its sunny & over 85 at halftime and/or the heat index is over 90, you can count on the majority of the students leaving at the half.

Most of the TV footage is facing the student side. Thats why the crowds for those games (UNH 07' & UMass 08') looked great in the 1st half and *****ty in the 2nd half.

mcveyrl
February 18th, 2009, 09:25 AM

We're not looking for another team. Our OOC is set. The issue is that the bye week is Sept. 5. If we signed another FBS team, we'd have to back out of another OOC game. Maryland won't let us out (I don't think), we already ditched on Liberty last year. That leaves VMI, our only OOC home game. We're not going to do 4 home games just to move our bye a few weeks.

BDKJMU
February 18th, 2009, 11:00 AM
We're not looking for another team. Our OOC is set. The issue is that the bye week is Sept. 5. If we signed another FBS team, we'd have to back out of another OOC game. Maryland won't let us out (I don't think), we already ditched on Liberty last year. That leaves VMI, our only OOC home game. We're not going to do 4 home games just to move our bye a few weeks.

I KNOW JMU ISN'T LOOKING FOR ANOTHER GAME. I was referring to Maine (I asked for the link before I knew that Maine had inked a game with Cuse). So when I made the post I was thinking Maine was still looking for a I-A OOC, and was curious to which ones had openings on Sept 5th. Figured Maine would look to get a I-A game on the Sept 5th, which would mean JMU would go from a very slim chance of having their game with Maine changed to the Sept 5th to no chance. Its all moot now, as Maine got the game with Cuse.

mcveyrl
February 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I KNOW JMU ISN'T LOOKING FOR ANOTHER GAME. I was referring to Maine (I asked for the link before I knew that Maine had inked a game with Cuse). So when I made the post I was thinking Maine was still looking for a I-A OOC, and was curious to which ones had openings on Sept 5th. Figured Maine would look to get a I-A game on the Sept 5th, which would mean JMU would go from a very slim chance of having their game with Maine changed to the Sept 5th to no chance. Its all moot now, as Maine got the game with Cuse.

I figured you knew that, but was confused. Got it now. xthumbsupx

Keeper
February 19th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Link here: http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college_football_2009_schedules/index_openings.htm

Scratch Colorado St (has Weber) and Ohio (has Cal Poly)

Only Akron, FAU & Houston are without an FCS on board.
Houston, Kentucky, Rutgers & TCU have Sept 5th open so far.

kdinva
February 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM

I have heard 3rd-hand that the VMI game has been moved to Sept. 5th.....

whitey
February 19th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I have heard 3rd-hand that the VMI game has been moved to Sept. 5th.....

VMI is already schedule to play Robert Morris at home on 9/5. I guess it's possible that they switched their game to 9/19 with RMU. That would be great for JMU to push their bye back but I'm not getting my hopes up. Besides that would mean we have a home game to open the season and then not another one until 10/10. Uggh. Bourne really botched this one.

Pitz
February 20th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Well, now it's official: http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=3674703

th0m
February 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Craptacular.

BDKJMU
February 21st, 2009, 12:36 AM
Jeff Bourne (JMU's AD) sucks. xsmhx