PDA

View Full Version : CAA All-Academic Team Named

mcveyrl
February 11th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Maine's Ryan Canary was Student-Athlete of the Year

Congrats to everyone named.

Some of these majors are no joke, either!

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=3666277

TribeGuy09
February 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I guarantee you the 1 tribe defensive player listed is smarter than the 5 towson defensive players listed...what a joke.

jmufan999
February 11th, 2009, 03:58 PM
you ever met those towson players? they're dumber just because they went to towson? that certainly isn't very open-minded.

WMTribe90
February 11th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Easy TG09, anyone who plays DI football and maintains a GPA above 3.0 deserves respect. I understand your point, but now really isn't the time or place. Congrats to all the players that are getting it done on the field and in the classroom.

DTSpider
February 11th, 2009, 11:07 PM
What's also impressive is that I see a fair number of All CAA performers on the list as well.

JMU Newbill
February 12th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I guarantee you the 1 tribe defensive player listed is smarter than the 5 towson defensive players listed...what a joke.

The above statement is nothing short of ignorant. xnonox

Congrats to all listed. As a Finance major from JMU, I can't imagine carrying that workload while succeeding on a football field as well.

GoBlueHens83
February 12th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Congrats to all of these student athletes!

andy7171
February 12th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Not too stuck up are we? xrolleyesx

Go eat some pancakes..

Dignan
February 12th, 2009, 07:24 AM

Go eat some pancakes..

Now you're just making me hungry.

andy7171
February 12th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Now you're just making me hungry.

Well if you near Williamsburg, there is a very good chance you are within 100 feet of a pancake house!

boozeANDammo
February 12th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I hear ya Andy... the dead Williamsburg cat I threw the other day is covered syrup. Oddly enough, I wish we had more places like that in H'burg because breakfast food is downright awesome.

Congrats to all those kids! Really something to be proud of and truly... it's the reason we all give back to support student athlete scholarships.

Tribe4SF
February 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Go eat some pancakes..

xlolx He hasn't graduated yet. We issue the common sense with the diploma. He'll also get his first pancakes then. At most of the local pancake palaces students can't afford them.

YoUDeeMan
February 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Not exactly a post that demonstrates the appeal of getting an education at W&M. xrolleyesx

YoUDeeMan
February 12th, 2009, 08:58 AM
xlolx He hasn't graduated yet. We issue the common sense with the diploma. He'll also get his first pancakes then. At most of the local pancake palaces students can't afford them.

Well said, Tribe4SF. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
February 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Snobbery at its finest. So I can assume fromy your certainty of this that you personally know the Towson players you are denigrating as well as the W&M guy you are propping up? Not a ringing endorsement for W&M with this sentiment. xsmhx

TribeGuy09
February 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I apologize for my first post, it definitely was snobbish, and I'm sure those towson players are plenty smart...I'm just frustrated that the academic team committee didn't recognize the relative difficulties between the schools. I mean W&M is tough for HS valedictorians, I can't imagine how tough it is for football players who have to balance practice and coursework. I'm had classes with several FB players, one of which is in my arch class and is simultaneously getting a business degree and going premed. And he's doing arch for fun.

Again, sorry for dissing other teams, but I really expected to see a few more W&M FB players on that list...

mcveyrl
February 12th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I apologize for my first post, it definitely was snobbish, and I'm sure those towson players are plenty smart...I'm just frustrated that the academic team committee didn't recognize the relative difficulties between the schools. I mean W&M is tough for HS valedictorians, I can't imagine how tough it is for football players who have to balance practice and coursework. I'm had classes with several FB players, one of which is in my arch class and is simultaneously getting a business degree and going premed. And he's doing arch for fun.

Again, sorry for dissing other teams, but I really expected to see a few more W&M FB players on that list...

The article lists the standard criteria for making the team. To adjust it for each and every school is, at best, arbitrary and, at worst, insulting to other schools. If you did that, you would also have to adjust it for certain majors. I think we all can agree that certain majors produce more difficulties than others, particularly at some schools.

andy7171
February 12th, 2009, 10:40 AM

It's not even a chosen team. You have to play alot and maintain a 3.0 to make it.

mcveyrl
February 12th, 2009, 10:45 AM
It's not even a chosen team. You have to play alot and maintain a 3.0 to make it.

I know the criteria says "important reserve" but that must be a loose requirement. JMU has three TEs on the list!!

JMU Newbill
February 12th, 2009, 11:11 AM

I mean that's all well and good... but I got my Accounting & Finance degree from a school that is Top 10 in the country on the CPA exam. That's higher than W&M, higher than UVA, higher than UR, higher than a lot of ivy league schools. You don't see me belittling other school's academics.

URMite
February 12th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I mean that's all well and good... but I got my Accounting & Finance degree from a school that is Top 10 in the country on the CPA exam. That's higher than W&M, higher than UVA, higher than UR, higher than a lot of ivy league schools. You don't see me belittling other school's academics.

I agree with you about not belittling other schools. And slightly off topic, things sure have changed since I graduated. Back then the CPA pass rates were so low that UR was generally 5th-7th nationally with a 25% pass rate. The only other school higher in the mid atlantic was Wake Forest. I think small accounting programs had an advantage at the time (UR had 24 accting majors only 6 had to pass). I think a specific professor was very good at CPA prep as well.

But this thread is about academics in general and not accounting so, back to our regularly scheduled topic...

WMTribe90
February 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM

That's right, Newbill is way too busy patting himself on the back to belittle anyone else. :p

I think we've piled on TG09 enough, he made a knee jerk post and has since apologized, move along...

andy7171
February 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM
That's right, Newbill is way too busy patting himself on the back to belittle anyone else. :p

I think we've piled on TG09 enough, he made a knee jerk post and has since apologized, move along...

Yeah sure.

I'll remember this .... :p

TG09 you better show face in Oct/Nov, I;ll be there! xpeacex