PDA

View Full Version : Most recent photos of ODU's Foreman Field

Monarch History
February 11th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Here is a link to the most recent photos of the renovation of Old Dominion University's Foreman Field. xthumbsupx
http://odusports.cstv.com/ot/foreman-field-football-complex.html

mainejeff
February 11th, 2009, 12:51 PM
FBS football is definitely in ODU's future. Your stay in the CAA will be a short one. xnodx

mcveyrl
February 11th, 2009, 12:52 PM
FBS football is definitely in ODU's future. Your stay in the CAA will be a short one. xnodx

I tend to agree, but I hope you're wrong. I enjoy all of our rivalries with ODU in other sports.

FCS Go!
February 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Is Koch still the Prez at ODU? He was the Prez at Montana before he took the ODU job.

andy7171
February 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Something tells me ODU is bound for bigger things....

Cobblestone
February 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
WOW! THAT'S the same place where I saw the Norfolk Neptunes play back in 1968/1969?

Best wishes to you guys!!

wideright82
February 11th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Well it will be fun having you in the league for a couple of years anyway!

813Jag
February 11th, 2009, 01:25 PM
What's the capacity?

JmuSkinsfan
February 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM
This just points to one thing...a mega conference moving up all at once. JMU, UD, ODU, ASU?, included

mcveyrl
February 11th, 2009, 01:42 PM
This just points to one thing...a mega conference moving up all at once. JMU, UD, ODU, ASU?, included

I REALLY hope you're wrong. I have no desire to move up. Plus, not that they could necessarily stop it, but UVa and Va. Tech would crap a brick if two schools in state moved up at once.

JmuSkinsfan
February 11th, 2009, 01:52 PM
They can crap bricks all they want but it's long overdue .. VA is too talented football wise to only have 2 FBS schools

Pitz
February 11th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Whhoooa now. Let's worry about them taking a snap first.

Monarch History
February 11th, 2009, 02:19 PM

I think a conference with the above teams along with a few others might be in the cards, but I don't see ODU or others moving up until this economy takes a turn up. Money for schools is going to be tight for some time to come.

elon77
February 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM
What's the capacity?

I don't think they have an actual count until they install the seats, but they are telling us around 20,000. Koch is in the area but has been retired for several years.

dgreco
February 11th, 2009, 04:00 PM
very impressive

JmuSkinsfan
February 11th, 2009, 05:14 PM
ODU is in a perfect area for this. Shouldn't be too hard to draw sellouts with a decent product on the field. Although is there any option to expand beyond the original 20,000? Seems like a big FCS stadium but not necessarily big enough for FBS ...

JMU's expansion in phase I takes us to 24,000 seats...but the option to expand to 48,000 roughly. Phase I hints at FBS, but if phase II goes through...hello FBS...

Just wondering if there were talks to keep the stadium expandable. Unlike Lane at VT where they just piece-mealed a stadium that looks like just that...a piece-mealed stadium

JmuSkinsfan
February 11th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I think a conference with the above teams along with a few others might be in the cards, but I don't see ODU or others moving up until this economy takes a turn up. Money for schools is going to be tight for some time to come.

Yes, this is very true. I think once the economy turns up we could see a mega conference from FCS move up. Geographically it would work out. Some sort of Mid-Atlantic conference with maybe...

App
JMU
UD
ODU
GSU
GSU (southern)

maybe even combining with some c-usa teams like ECU and Memphis to create a conference usa - esque with more convenient geographical teams rather than the mess c-usa is now

mainejeff
February 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I see:

JMU
ODU
East Carolina
Charlotte
Georgia State
Memphis
Florida Atlantic
Florida International

89Hen
February 11th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I don't mean to be Debbie Downer here, but am I missing something? The new endzone building looks very nice but the sides make the Tub's concrete look fairly new. Also, they have yet to play a game and somehow they're destined to move onto I-A within short order? Where are they going to go folks? xconfusedx

Monarch History
February 11th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I see:

JMU
ODU
East Carolina
Charlotte
Georgia State
Memphis
Florida Atlantic
Florida International

I see Delaware and Villanova rather than Florida Atlantic or Florida International. I would love a conference made up of the following schools.
ODU
JMU
UD
ASU
Charlotte
Georgia State
East Carolina
Memphis
Villanova

mainejeff
February 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I see Delaware and Villanova rather than Florida Atlantic or Florida International. I would love a conference made up of the following schools.
ODU
JMU
UD
ASU
Charlotte
Georgia State
East Carolina
Memphis
Villanova

Delaware?......I doubt it. Too "academic" for that group of schools. ;)

And Villanova???..........xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xeyebrowx

BearsCountry
February 11th, 2009, 11:43 PM
No way in heck does Memphis join those schools, no way. They would laugh at the idea. They like the Texas schools in CUSA (they also were a SWC expansion canadiate at one time) and the only way they would go east is to the Big East.

mainejeff
February 12th, 2009, 01:27 AM
No way in heck does Memphis join those schools, no way. They would laugh at the idea. They like the Texas schools in CUSA (they also were a SWC expansion canadiate at one time) and the only way they would go east is to the Big East.

Memphis is in no man's land.....beggars can't be choosers.

JMU Newbill
February 12th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Just to give the other side of the argument here....

Being from the area, I know how hard it has been for Norfolk/Hampton Roads to keep two crappy minor league teams around (Norfolk Tides - AAA baseball, Hampton Roads Admirals - Minor League hockey). The area also made a joke of a bid in trying to obtain the Hornets when they were planning to move.

What I am getting at is that, yes, the Hampton Roads area is a great talent pool. Its a heavily recruited area, particularly by all the VA FBS/FCS schools. The problem is that the area, both financially and fan-base wise, do not support sports. Its a crying shame, but I really don't think ODU will get off to this flying start attendance wise that everyone is expecting. Now... if they do.... great! I would love to be wrong on this one. JMO

Monarch Nation
February 12th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I REALLY hope you're wrong. I have no desire to move up. Plus, not that they could necessarily stop it, but UVa and Va. Tech would crap a brick if two schools in state moved up at once.

That alone might make it worth the move.

Dignan
February 12th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Delaware?......I doubt it. Too "academic" for that group of schools. ;)

The "Delaware too academic" thing must be some sort of inside joke that I'm not privy to, I just don't get it.

I agree that I don't understand how Villanova enters this fantasy. If there's a school that sticks out in this list it's them. They're a private, heavily academic school that doesn't have a history of heavy hometown support for their football team. I suppose you could say that if they moved up to FBS their football program would become more popular, but that's a lot of speculation.

Add me to the list of people who doesn't understand why these renderings and construction pictures are filling people with awe over the impending FBSness of ODU. Sure, they're building luxury suites but this seems to be a pretty common trend today among FCS programs that are either building new stadiums or renovating existing ones. The stands on each side and end zone certainly don't scream out at me "LOOK MA, I'M JOININ' THE ACC!!!" It looks more or less like a good sized FCS stadium to me.

It's fun to fantasize about some sort of super conference making the jump from FCS to FBS at the same time, but I wonder if it'd be worth it. It's a lot of fun knowing that every year your team has a chance to play for a championship. Moving up to FBS pretty much eliminates that altogether. The BCS schools are an insiders club and they're certainly not going to let any of our ilk play in their games.

mcveyrl
February 12th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Just to give the other side of the argument here....

Being from the area, I know how hard it has been for Norfolk/Hampton Roads to keep two crappy minor league teams around (Norfolk Tides - AAA baseball, Hampton Roads Admirals - Minor League hockey). The area also made a joke of a bid in trying to obtain the Hornets when they were planning to move.

What I am getting at is that, yes, the Hampton Roads area is a great talent pool. Its a heavily recruited area, particularly by all the VA FBS/FCS schools. The problem is that the area, both financially and fan-base wise, do not support sports. Its a crying shame, but I really don't think ODU will get off to this flying start attendance wise that everyone is expecting. Now... if they do.... great! I would love to be wrong on this one. JMO

I would agree with you but think the difference is that it's ODU and it's football. I think people will come out in droves five or six Saturdays a year.

EDIT: They just better not schedule any games at the same time the Lady Monarchs are playing. If Wendy Larry gets crossed she will turn into a 50ft. woman and tear down Foreman.

Tribe4SF
February 12th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Its a crying shame, but I really don't think ODU will get off to this flying start attendance wise that everyone is expecting. Now... if they do.... great! I would love to be wrong on this one. JMO

They're already off to a flying start. With over 12,000 season tickets sold, and a strong student following, they should take over second place in CAA attendance in their first year. They average well over 6,000 for bball, and I would expect football to average around 18,000 this year.

Knowing ODU fans, I expect their gameday atmosphere to be terrific right out of the blocks. They have a strong marketing group, and their football coverage in the media is already third among VA colleges.

LacesOut
February 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Nice!

Good luck ODU! Looking forward to some new blood in the CAA.

henfan
February 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM
It's funny to see some of the very same people who were so doubtful about the prospect of ODU FB just a few short years ago now be the ones touting them for membership in the NFC East. (Notice all of those who laughed at GSU too, now projecting them for the 2020 Rose Bowl!)

Guys, ODU will do well in the FCS. In fact, it's possible they'll do very well competitively in a matter of a few short years, as I suggested years before the Doubting Thomases became ODU's biggest fanboys. But by any reasonable measure, ODU is not ever going to take a 20K-22K seat stadium into the FBS. It's going to take a lot more than an end zone addition and few coats of paint. We're talking major institutional & AD change, big time investments, completely new stadium and the good chance of an invitation to a major conference. That's just not on the forseeable horizon for ODU or any school in the CAA.

What I see is a school positioning itself to compete quickly for FB recruits with the likes of JMU & UD. There's money to be made right here in the FCS if you do things the right way and have the basis for support. ODU will do it the right way.

GannonFan
February 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM
It's funny to see some of the very same people who were so doubtful about the prospect of ODU FB just a few short years ago now be the ones touting them for membership in the NFC East. (Notice all of those who laughed at GSU too, now projecting them for the 2020 Rose Bowl!)

Guys, ODU will do well in the FCS. In fact, it's possible they'll do very well competitively in a matter of a few short years, as I suggested years before the Doubting Thomases became ODU's biggest fanboys. But by any reasonable measure, ODU is not ever going to take a 20K-22K seat stadium into the FBS. It's going to take a lot more than an end zone addition and few coats of paint. We're talking major institutional & AD change, big time investments, completely new stadium and the good chance of an invitation to a major conference. That's just not on the forseeable horizon for ODU or any school in the CAA.

What I see is a school positioning itself to compete quickly for FB recruits with the likes of JMU & UD. There's money to be made right here in the FCS if you do things the right way and have the basis for support. ODU will do it the right way.

Agree with Henfan absolutely here. ODU can't and won't go FBS with that stadium. It's nice, but it's still an old stadium with some nice upgrades. Certainly gives them a facility that will compare very well against their peers in FCS, especially with the fact that they will fill it very quickly (a Tribe poster correctly pointed out that ODU, pretty much from the first snap, will be the 2nd largest gameday fanbase in the CAA, by a good margin as well). If and when ODU, and possibly some other CAA schools, decide to move up to FBS, ODU will have to make significant changes to do that (as will the other schools). What they will have today isn't going to be FBS-worthy.

With that said, I've always thougt that ODU's going to be a player sooner than most people think. They start active CAA play in 2011 after two years of startup, look for them to, by 2013, be a real contender to make noise in the playoffs.

galen
February 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Looks like they've got a lot of work to do- but that's gonna look GOOD when it's all done.

Monarch History
February 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Here are the newest photos from Feb 12th. Looks like they have made some progress by taking advantage of a warm and dry week.

BearsCountry
February 13th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Memphis is in no man's land.....beggars can't be choosers.

How are they in no man's land? CUSA is a better fit than this new CAA for them. Geographically and school wise they are a better fit with the Texas schools and Southern Miss, Tulane, and UAB.

elonjunky
March 11th, 2009, 12:22 AM
They're already off to a flying start. With over 12,000 season tickets sold, and a strong student following, they should take over second place in CAA attendance in their first year. They average well over 6,000 for bball, and I would expect football to average around 18,000 this year.

Knowing ODU fans, I expect their gameday atmosphere to be terrific right out of the blocks. They have a strong marketing group, and their football coverage in the media is already third among VA colleges.

My son was on his way to ODU @ the beginning of the 2009 season but picked Elon instead, so I got an inside look @ ODU and it's going to be a great football program. Seeing the growing pains that you have to over come in the FCS ie, Coastal Caroline, Liberty, NC Central, WSSU, Samford in a new conference Elon working it's way from conference door mat into making possable play-off situations is a tough reality. So jumping from no game to FBS is a big leap, what I'm saying Elon or UR or Woffard has a better chance. Show me they can win in the FCS AND THEN WE WILL TALK. xeyebrowxxeyebrowxxeyebrowx

Monarch Nation
March 12th, 2009, 11:09 AM
My son was on his way to ODU @ the beginning of the 2009 season but picked Elon instead, so I got an inside look @ ODU and it's going to be a great football program. Seeing the growing pains that you have to over come in the FCS ie, Coastal Caroline, Liberty, NC Central, WSSU, Samford in a new conference Elon working it's way from conference door mat into making possable play-off situations is a tough reality. So jumping from no game to FBS is a big leap, what I'm saying Elon or UR or Woffard has a better chance. Show me they can win in the FCS AND THEN WE WILL TALK. xeyebrowxxeyebrowxxeyebrowx

I couldn't agree more. We first have to actually start playing and winning before there is any talk of where the program is to go. One step at a time.

Best of luck to your son at Elon. I told my sons that they have to pick a college that feels like a good fit for them, not what they think I want them to pick.

Monarch History
March 12th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I told my sons that they have to pick a college that feels like a good fit for them, not what they think I want them to pick.

Monarch Nation, I'm sure that will be a school on Hampton Blvd.xlolx

DaBigBlue
March 12th, 2009, 10:10 PM
They posted some new photos, slowly coming together. Starting to install glass in the Game Day Building, working on the field and painting the old clam shells.

Monarch History
April 15th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Here are the latest pictures (April 9th) of the renovations at Historic Forteman Field. They are going to start to put the turf down by the end of the month. It's still hard to believe that they will be ready by September 5, 2009.
http://odusports.cstv.com/view.gal?id=46473

Monarch History
April 16th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Just posted video from Virginian-Pilot of progress made on stadium renovation.xthumbsupx

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/04/video-foreman-field-takes-shape

93henfan
April 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Wow. You guys get seats? I'm jealous.

slostang
April 16th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Looks awesome.

Monarch History
April 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
They just got the webcam up after being down a few weeks.

http://68.225.87.231/en/JViewer.html

Monarch History
May 13th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Here are the latest photos of Foreman Field as of May 12th.

http://www.odusports.com/view.gal?id=48748

Monarch Nation
May 13th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Completion date is early August, isn't it? That's cutting it close.

jmufan999
May 13th, 2009, 01:50 PM
i think the biggest misconception amongst FCS fans is that you need a stadium that holds X number of people to be FBS. there is no rule or even guideline for joining FBS. at all. there are other things that must be met, like number of scholarships, etc.... not stadium capacity. for instance, there are 8 FBS teams that have capacities of 25K or less. obviously, there are many FCS stadiums bigger than this. U of So. Alabama, Montana, Norfolk State.... just a few examples of FCS playoff-eligible teams with stadiums of 25K plus. NCAA does make sure you have good "attendance", but that means percentage of total capacity.

jmufan999
May 13th, 2009, 01:53 PM
the other thing is (and by the way, the stadium looks fantastic)... why is everyone so certain ODU is bolting for FBS? they haven't even played a snap yet. look, i'm not saying they won't immediately be CAA contenders. for all i know, they'll win 30 straight CAA titles. i'm just not sure why people are coming to such a conclusion. did the AD or Prez say something about that? the coach? building a new program/stadium/excitement does not necessarily equal a jump to FBS. if there's something factual there, i haven't heard it yet. sounds to me like the ODU fans seem realistic about this, but not everyone else is being as realistic.

danefan
May 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM
i think the biggest misconception amongst FCS fans is that you need a stadium that holds X number of people to be FBS. there is no rule or even guideline for joining FBS. at all. there are other things that must be met, like number of scholarships, etc.... not stadium capacity. for instance, there are 8 FBS teams that have capacities of 25K or less. obviously, there are many FCS stadiums bigger than this. U of So. Alabama, Montana, Norfolk State.... just a few examples of FCS playoff-eligible teams with stadiums of 25K plus. NCAA does make sure you have good "attendance", but that means percentage of total capacity.

Its not really a misconception - the rule used to be 30,000 minimum capacity. That's where everyone gets that idea.

There are attendance requirements in FCS (15,000) but its essentially a non-enforced requirements.

20.9.7.3 Football-Attendance Requirements. [FBS]

Once every two years on a rolling basis, the institution shall average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football games. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)

20.9.7.3.1 Counting Attendance.

20.9.7.3.1.1 Actual Attendance.
For purposes of computing actual attendance figures, an individual may be counted if any one of the following conditions applies: (Revised: 4/25/02, effective 8/1/04, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)

(a) Attendees are issued tickets that are collected on admission to the game and retained;
(Revised:4/25/02, effective 8/1/04)

(b) Attendees enter through and are counted by a turnstile that is monitored by a representative of

the department of athletics who verifies in writing the accuracy of the count on a per-game basis;

or (Revised: 4/25/02, effective 8/1/04)
(c) Attendees enter through a gate at which a representative of the department of athletics counts
them individually with a manual counter, and the representative provides a written statement
verifying the accuracy of the count on a per-game basis. (Revised: 4/25/02, effective 8/1/04)

20.9.7.3.1.2 Paid Attendance.
For purposes of computing paid attendance figures, tickets must be sold for at least one-third of the highest regular established ticket price as established prior to the season, regardless of whether they are used for admission. Tickets sold at less than one-third of the highest regular established price may be counted as paid attendance only if they are used for admission. Student attendance may be counted as paid attendance if the student pays at least one-third of the highest regular established ticket price or, if the student actually attends the game and any one of the following conditions applies: (Adopted: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)

(a) The student paid an athletics fee;

(b) The student paid an institutional fee of which a certain portion was allocated to the department
of intercollegiate athletics; or
(c) The student paid no athletics fee, but the institution allocated to the department of intercollegiate
athletics a certain portion of tuition income or general operating funds as the equivalent
of a student athletics fee.

20.9.7.3.1.2.1 Student Attendance.
Student attendance must be verified through one of the following methods: (Adopted: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)
(a) Such students are issued tickets that are collected on admission to the game and retained;

(b) Such students enter through and are counted by a turnstile (which is not used by others in attendance) that is monitored by a representative of the department of athletics who verifies in writing the accuracy of the count on a per-game basis; or

(c) Such students enter through a gate (that is not used by others in attendance) at which a representative of the department of athletics counts them individually with a manual counter, and the representative provides a written statement verifying the accuracy of the count on a per-game basis.

20.9.7.3.1.2.1.1 Noncounted Students.
Student-athletes and cheerleaders scheduled by the institution to be at the game and students performing services at the stadium e.g.,
concessionaires, ticket takers, parking-lot attendants, ushers, groundskeepers) shall not be counted toward meeting the attendance requirements. (Adopted: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)

20.9.7.3.1.2.2 Exchange of Tickets with Opponent.
For an institution to meet the football bowl subdivision attendance requirements, tickets for a football contest obtained by an institution

through an exchange agreement or a purchase agreement with another institution may be used only if sold for at least one-third of the highest regular established ticket price and are used to attend the game. (Adopted: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, Revised: 12/15/06)

20.9.7.3.2 Certified Audit.
In meeting the football-attendance requirements of the Football Bowl Subdivision,an institution must undertake an annual certified audit verifying its football attendance. The audited football-attendance figures must be received in the NCAA national office not later than the February 15 following the completion of the football season, and NCAA national office staff shall verify compliance with all the Football Bowl Subdivision attendance requirements. The certified audit and materials (including the ticket manifest) must be available for inspection for a four-year period. (Revised: 10/17/05, 12/15/06)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Division_1_Manual_2008-09e9e568a1-c269-4423-9ca5-16d6827c16bc.pdf

AtlantaMountaineer
May 13th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Here are the latest photos of Foreman Field as of May 12th.

http://www.odusports.com/view.gal?id=48748

Are the suites being built located in the endzone? App had to totally redo their stadium plans moving the suites from the East to the West side because the alumni didn't want to be facing the sun.

Syntax Error
May 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Old Dominion ramping!

Tod
May 13th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Appears to be a great stadium! xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

AppMan
May 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Are the suites being built located in the endzone? App had to totally redo their stadium plans moving the suites from the East to the West side because the alumni didn't want to be facing the sun.

It is amazing how these misconceptions take on a life of their own. The building was moved to the West side because had it been located on the East side it would have eliminated any possible seating expansion over there. The footprint of the building would have been right beside Stadium Drive. The sun had nothing to do with it.

AppMan
May 13th, 2009, 09:02 PM
ASU, Charlotte, Del, ECU, GSU (the one in Atlanta not Statesboro), JMU, Marshall, and ODU. Looks like a mighty fine conference to me!

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 13th, 2009, 09:10 PM
ASU, Charlotte, Del, ECU, GSU (the one in Atlanta not Statesboro), JMU, Marshall, and ODU. Looks like a mighty fine conference to me!

Which bowl game will the winner have an Auto-bid to? GMAC? EagleBank?

Sweet.

WUTNDITWAA
May 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Heck, add in the Eagles. Nothing wrong with a nine team league.

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM

One thing never ends, Appman with bowel game wishes and crystal ball dreams ... oh if only his appys could truly play division I football ... then he could rest as a happy appy and not have to settle for stoopid NCAA championships xlolx

elkmcc
May 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
One thing never ends, Appman with bowel game wishes and crystal ball dreams ... oh if only his appys could truly play division I football ... then he could rest as a happy appy and not have to settle for stoopid NCAA championships xlolx

bowel
appys
stoopid

Smack-------------------------------------------------------->

Again, if the persons (that like to pretend that they are influential) acted as leaders others might listen.xsmiley_wix

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM
bowelAgain with the typos...... lame. But newbies are like that when they have not much of a clue.

elkmcc
May 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Again with the typos...... lame. But newbies are like that when they have not much of a clue.

Look at your post. BOWEL is what YOU wrote. Pure smack. Who is without a clue? If I'm not laughing, I'm dying.

If I could have sent you a pm I would have spared your website the embarrassment.

p.s. I am not a "newbie". I have been around for fifteen years. You banned my real sn because I called you on your bs.

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Look at your post ds. BOWEL is what YOU wrote. Pure smack. Who is without a clue? If I'm not laughing, I'm dying.You asked so the correct answer is yoo.

“He who's not busy being born is busy dying”.
-BDylan

Bill Hanson
May 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Last time I checked, App State is in Div. 1. xreadx

slycat
May 14th, 2009, 06:32 PM
If CUSA splits it would really help with placing east coast FCS teams and Texas FCS teams in a FBS conference.

Very cool stadium btw.

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Last time I checked, App State is in Div. 1. xreadx

another newbie not knowing previous conversations and calling Division I with a number (don't pretend it is a typo this time)

Bill Hanson
May 14th, 2009, 06:33 PM
another newbie not knowing previous conversations

Yeah. I would venture to guess that I am older than you.

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah. I would venture to guess that I am older than you.

Who cares? And I doubt it.

elkmcc
May 14th, 2009, 06:36 PM
You asked so the correct answer is yoo.

“He who's not busy being born is busy dying”.
-BDylan

Maybe you don't remember meeting me this December in Chattanooga. Think about it. I laughed all weekend after I met you. Talk about laughing, my brother thought I was dying. xlolx

Bill Hanson
May 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Who cares? And I doubt it.

So don't call me a newbie. GOT IT!

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Maybe you don't remember meeting me this December in Chattanooga. Think about it. I laughed all weekend after I met you. Talk about laughing, my brother thought I was dying. xlolxOMIFREAKINGGAWD!!!!!!!!! Yeah, you saw the picture? Happiness to you my brother. Another AGSer I met.

I knew you would sneak on here again

purplepeopleeaterv2
May 22nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Can't wait til JMU starts playing ODU at ODU. Just 1 more visit I get to pay to the tidewater area to visit my friends (and their families) and booze it up. W&M every other year just isn't cutting it.

AppMan
May 24th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Which bowl game will the winner have an Auto-bid to? GMAC? EagleBank?

Sweet.

Doesn't matter to me.

AppMan
May 24th, 2009, 06:42 AM

South Florida made a very successful jump w/o ever being a factor at the I-AA/FCS level.

AppMan
May 24th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by Syntax Error
One thing never ends, Appman with bowel game wishes and crystal ball dreams ... oh if only his appys could truly play division I football ... then he could rest as a happy appy and not have to settle for stoopid NCAA championships.

What I'm really dreaming of is the day you and the other FCS apologists stop resorting to insults and demeaning those who wish to see their school's program move ahead. The holier-than-thou attitude some of you have is nauseating. FYI, a few years back I was dreaming of 30,000 crowds, state of the art pressbox, lux suites, and athletic faciities, but it appears those dreams came true.

Monarch History
May 28th, 2009, 01:21 PM
It's now 100 days until the Monarchs play their first game at the "New" Foreman Field. Here are the most recent photos of the renovations of the stadium. The Astroturf GameDay Grass 3D arrived this morning and will start being put down in a few days.

I have been envious of you schools with football for some time, but now I can experience the same feelings you have every September.xnodx

http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/052809aab.html

JMU2004
May 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Looks AWESOME!

89Hen
May 28th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Reminds me of a rounded Bridgeforth. xpeacex

bandit
May 28th, 2009, 01:39 PM
congrats to ODU, looks fantastic!!

WMTribe90
May 28th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Nice looking stadium, great addition to I-AA. One question, I noticed the lights and I assume they were already there. Are they good/powerful enough for ODU to play night games?

jmu_duke07
May 28th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Can't wait to see the stadium when the field is put down... Gonna look 100X's better when it is put in.

Monarch History
May 28th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Nice looking stadium, great addition to I-AA. One question, I noticed the lights and I assume they were already there. Are they good/powerful enough for ODU to play night games?

The light standards will stay but additional and more powerful lighting will be added.

Monarch Nation
May 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
The field is going in now.

http://68.225.87.231/en/JViewer.html

user name: guest
password: guest

93henfan
May 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM

JMU2004
May 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM
GRR!!!

Copied the JMU alternating pattern!

danefan
May 29th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Dudes are working fast

(If you are logged in (Guest, Guest) and refresh the page, the image will change)
http://68.225.87.231/oneshotimage.jpg

93henfan
May 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM
GRR!!!

JMU invented the alternating pattern. Yeah, that's the ticket. xrolleyesx

Monarch Nation
May 29th, 2009, 12:57 PM
GRR!!!

GRRR!!!

Don't like the alternating pattern!

Hoseinexile07
May 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM
That's a nice stadium. I'm looking forward to watching Brandon Miley throw all kinds of touchdowns in it. xthumbsupx

Monarch Nation
June 3rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Re posting the live video feed.

ODU's Foreman Field (http://68.225.87.231/en/JViewer.html)

user name: guest
password: guest

Field turf is down, and the logos have been painted in. Seat selection is a week away for season ticket holders.

ElSissy
June 3rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Is Foreman Field what they used to refer to as the Oyster Bowl?

MaroonDoom
June 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Looks good & I love the logo on the helmet. I want to congratulate ODU on the new field and I'm sure you'll do very well and good luck to you. Especially since your interests don't conflict with mine.

89Hen
June 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Seat selection is a week away for season ticket holders.
Not for all season ticket holders. xsmiley_wix

Monarch Nation
June 3rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Is Foreman Field what they used to refer to as the Oyster Bowl?

The Oyster Bowl was a charity game sponsored by the Shriners, and it was held at Foreman Field, preceded by a parade through downtown Norfolk. William & Mary was a regular participant, as was VMI. Those games were a lot of fun, and I would love to see it resumed with ODU as the host team each year.

EDIT: if the viewer is down, it is probably overloaded now that the stadium is nearing completion. Pictures of the construction can be found at http://www.odusports.com and select "football" from the "sports" tag.

elon77
June 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
The Oyster Bowl was a charity game sponsored by the Shriners, and it was held at Foreman Field, preceded by a parade through downtown Norfolk. William & Mary was a regular participant, as was VMI. Those games were a lot of fun, and I would love to see it resumed with ODU as the host team each year.

EDIT: if the viewer is down, it is probably overloaded now that the stadium is nearing completion. Pictures of the construction can be found at http://www.odusports.com and select "football" from the "sports" tag.

The best memory I have of the Oyster Bowl was ECU was playing W&M , probably back in the 70's, and the W&M quarterback was about to score when an ECU fan came off the sideline and made the best tackle of the game at about the 5 yard line. The thing about the tackle was the gentleman had to be 60 or 70 years old. He hit him low and just took the W&M QB right down. The man who made the tackle was a shriner and must have been really tanked, but it was one heck of a tackle. The ref's awarded the TD to W&M. It was right in front of me and I will never forget it.

Appfan_in_CAAland
June 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
The best memory I have of the Oyster Bowl was ECU was playing W&M , probably back in the 70's, and the W&M quarterback was about to score when an ECU fan came off the sideline and made the best tackle of the game at about the 5 yard line. The thing about the tackle was the gentleman had to be 60 or 70 years old. He hit him low and just took the W&M QB right down. The man who made the tackle was a shriner and must have been really tanked, but it was one heck of a tackle. The ref's awarded the TD to W&M. It was right in front of me and I will never forget it.

That is the greatest story I have every heard!

Monarch Nation
June 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Not for all season ticket holders. xsmiley_wix

True, I'm one of the lucky ones. I pick on the second day (and my checkbook can verify that). I should be able to get fairly good seats.

DaBigBlue
June 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM
They got the turf down and it's starting to look like a football field.

http://media.hamptonroads.com/cache/files/images/309061000.jpg

TheMinuteman
June 10th, 2009, 07:08 PM
How many seats are gonna be at the new stadium

DaBigBlue
June 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Foreman Field with seat about 20,000. The original clam shells were build in 1936 and the stadium is currently undergoing a $24.8 million renovation in preparation for the re-start of football.

http://historichamptonroads.com/images/PostCards/norf_formfield01_450.jpg

Monarch History
June 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Here are some more images of Foreman Field ( 6-9-09) in addition to the one DaBigBlue posted.

http://www.odusports.com/view.gal?id=49872

DFW HOYA
June 15th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Where are the visitor seats going to be?

Monarch Nation
June 16th, 2009, 07:08 AM
These aren't that actual designations because this was produced before the renovation began and the seating put in, but this pdf shows where visitors will sit.

http://www.monarchnation.com/football%20seating%20chart.pdf

I believe the sections are actually 121 and 122, and some things have changed since that was printed, but basically that is where the seating is for visitors.

89Hen
June 16th, 2009, 08:33 AM
These aren't that actual designations because this was produced before the renovation began and the seating put in, but this pdf shows where visitors will sit.
Good move keeping the families and visitors as far away from the students as possible. xsmiley_wix

Monarch Nation
June 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM
xlolx

89Hen, I hadn't thought of that, but you're absolutely right.

seahawkfan2007
June 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Looking like a top ten FCS stadium. Hope Wagner makes a trip there in the near future.

kdinva
June 16th, 2009, 08:28 PM
If this has already been asked, I apologize: Are there plans to upgrade/replace the press boxes?

kdinva
June 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM

http://www.monarchnation.com/football%20seating%20chart.pdf

I believe the sections are actually 121 and 122, and some things have changed since that was printed, but basically that is where the seating is for visitors.

So, we're talking (for now) only about 1200-1500 seats for the visiting teams?

Jackman
June 16th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I believe the plan is only 1000 seats for visiting teams, and they're going to have trouble freeing up even that many.

bigblue78
June 17th, 2009, 07:05 AM
1000 seats are designated for the visiting team. This is consistent with CAA requirements. Presently demand for tickets exceeds supply so there's no chance of any extra tickets being made available and any seats not claimed by the visitors will be filled with ODU patrons.

The 24 mil used to renovate the stadium went mostly to the game day building and the new field. The main clamshell stands were upgraded, but with the intent of tearing them down and replacing them as future expansion, thus the press box is both small and antiquated.

While the economic downturn will certainly come into play, the "stategic vision" was to replace the home side structure in about 5 years, raising capacity to 25000, followed by the visitor side in another 2-3 years to bring capacity to 30000. After this expansion, upper decks could be added if demands continue to increase. Adding upper decks could ultimately result in a 40000 seat stadium.

We look forward to wecoming guests to our little corner of Virginia, but get your ticket early. Our product on the field will undoubtably suffer many growing pains, but the fan and monetary support is well in place.

Monarch History
June 29th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Here are the latest photos of Foreman Field's renovation including the Gameday Facility at the stadium.

http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062909aab.html

I'm also adding some photos of the Powhatan Field complex where the Monarchs Practice and main lockerooms are located.

http://www.odusports.com/view.gal?id=35826

Monarch History
July 16th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Old Dominion University's Foreman Field is about ready for the keys to be handed over to Coach Wilder. The video scoreboard is the last major thing needed. Here are the most recent photos of it's renovation.

http://www.odusports.com/view.gal?id=50579

GoBlueHens83
July 16th, 2009, 04:38 AM
ODU has a lot to be proud of here. Everything is looking great. This will be a great place to watch a game when it's all complete. xthumbsupx

89Hen
July 16th, 2009, 11:17 AM
The photos from field level are silly. You can't tell in 2 of the 3 that it's fake grass. xthumbsupx

LacesOut
July 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Very very very nice.

henfan
July 16th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Wow. Great stuff. xthumbsupx

Can't wait to get ODU into the schedule rotation.

griz&beer
July 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Man I love you hose. The only thing I would change is make the end Zones blue, silver and white letters.

apaladin
July 16th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I think all of you FBS wannabes should just move on up so you can shoot for that prestigious Tuesday night before Christmas bowl game against the MAC's fourth place team. The only people who will be watching are people with a gambling problem. There may be one big PROBLEM. The real FBS teams will not stand for it. Before they allow another big influx of FBS wannabes they will break away from the NCAA and form their own football association which many people already say is going to happen. Why do you think there is a moratorum now in place on moving up? Believe me it wasn't the NCAA's idea.

Monarch Nation
July 17th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I think all of you FBS wannabes should just move on up so you can shoot for that prestigious Tuesday night before Christmas bowl game against the MAC's fourth place team. The only people who will be watching are people with a gambling problem. There may be one big PROBLEM. The real FBS teams will not stand for it. Before they allow another big influx of FBS wannabes they will break away from the NCAA and form their own football association which many people already say is going to happen. Why do you think there is a moratorum now in place on moving up? Believe me it wasn't the NCAA's idea.

I just went back two pages, and for the life of me I can't figure out to whom you are replying with this rant.

andy7171
July 17th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I just went back two pages, and for the life of me I can't figure out to whom you are replying with this rant.

It was a bit outta left field.

Canyoncat
July 17th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Been following the progress for your field and I gotta say it looks like it is going to be top notch! Congrats, hope Montana State and ODU meet up someday for a game.

bigblue78
July 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM
It'll be awhile before we're ready for the established powers of FCS. We're excited and very proud at how our administration has brought football to fruition, and at the resonse in support by the students, alunmi and the local community (ODU had to turn away requests for over 1000 season tickets! http://hamptonroads.com/2009/07/odu-officials-turn-down-1065-orders-football-season-tickets )

But, most of us realize what awaits us when we take on the CAA full time in 2011. Our in-state bretheren and future rivals are salivating at the opportunity to demonstrate the magnitude of their superiority. On the otherhand, we'll be glad to trade our talk of new turf, paint and season tickets for old-fashioned football smack talk.

Monarch History
July 22nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Here are the most recent pictures of the stadium. (July 22, 2009)

http://www.odusports.com/view.gal?id=50695

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Careful MH, there's a lot of CAA hate going around this week. You may want to hold off posting this for a few weeks. xsmiley_wix

Mountaineer
July 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM

Top notch.

May not be the largest or newest, but it's definitely one of the best looking stadiums in this division. xbowx

Love the endzone complex. xthumbsupx

aust42
July 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM

Sweet. Can't wait to tailgate down there when Delaware comes to town.

Monarch History
August 1st, 2009, 11:58 AM
Here's an article from the Virginian-Pilot talking about the audio and video production as well as the new scoreboard at Foreman Field.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/07/foreman-field-will-offer-feast-eyes-and-ears

I went by today and the stadium looks ready except for a few minor "adjustments" which should be taken care of in the next week or so.xthumbsupx