PDA

View Full Version : Who would you LIKE to see win the N.C.

Umass74
November 22nd, 2005, 11:40 AM
First off, leave Homer home. You can't pick your own team.

Also, the actual likelyhood of the your pick winning should not be considered.

My pick: UNH. The Wildcats and I go way back (I was in the stands at Crowell in '91 when UNH played Samford in the first round). UNH is a hockey school who's fans have always more or less ignored football. The sudden influx of UNH fans who's interest in UNH football goes all the way back to ---- say September of 2005) does not bother me. The Wildcats have done more with less than any team in I-AA this year. Having clubs with big budgets visit Crowell stadium (famous for having icicles inside the visitors dressing room) is a hoot.

Who's your pick?

DTSpider
November 22nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
I'd love to see Hampton shock everyone and win it all.

Of course, that brings a real conflict of interest in round one...but I'll comply with the no homer policy.

After Hampton than it would be great for another A10 team to take the title. UNH has been a big turnaround. Not long ago that was a sure W on the schedule.

bunny
November 22nd, 2005, 11:55 AM
Richmond.

They were my dark horse pick in the A10, so I'm going to keep riding.

Go A-10!

DinoDex200
November 22nd, 2005, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Nicholls St. win it just because of everything they had to go through. I hope they face Montana in the national title game because the Griz are a client of my company, and it would definitely bring some revenue our way!!

Of course...App State vs. Montana would be nice...but I am not allowed to say that! :D

grizbeer
November 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
anyone but an A-10 team. I would pick EWU, but only as a homer pick for the BSC. Completely discounting conference allegiance I would say UNI, or ASU.

bandl
November 22nd, 2005, 12:11 PM
UNH or UR. Keep it in the A-10 for 3 years in a row. 2 years in a row by two different teams was already quite a feat...3 years in a row by 3 different teams would just be absurdly fun. :D

And a chance for 2 teams from the same state to win back to back NC's....has that ever happened (that's a question, not a chance to smacktalk)?

crunifan
November 22nd, 2005, 12:15 PM
Well, I would want UNI for two reasons. Number one I go here, but a bigger reason is UNI has such a huge tradition in I-AA it would be nice to finally see them get a trophy that shows this.

PantherMan
November 22nd, 2005, 12:18 PM
Well, I would want UNI for two reasons. Number one I go here, but a bigger reason is UNI has such a huge tradition in I-AA it would be nice to finally see them get a trophy that shows this.

Just like Mickelson finally broke through, we will one of these days.... :nod: :beerchug:

bandl
November 22nd, 2005, 12:20 PM
Just like Mickelson finally broke through, we will one of these days.... :nod: :beerchug:

Who'll be the first to......App State or UNI??? Both with strong traditions...maybe that'll be answered this year!

blukeys
November 22nd, 2005, 12:20 PM
Richmond

griz37
November 22nd, 2005, 12:22 PM
If I can't chose the Griz I am picking Cal Poly. Ellerson & Co. have really turned that program around & their fans are very classy.

blur2005
November 22nd, 2005, 12:22 PM
I'd like to see either Appalachian State and Georgia Southern or Furman-Georgia Southern, or New Hampshire and Richmond. Let's keep it in the A-10. For pure kicks, a Lafayette-Colgate matchup would shut a lot of us up.

ChickenMan
November 22nd, 2005, 12:24 PM
anyone but an A-10 team.

west coast bias... :D

grizbeer
November 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
west coast bias... :D
:D :D just spreading the wealth :D :D

Hamptongal
November 22nd, 2005, 12:37 PM
I'd love to see Hampton shock everyone and win it all.

Of course, that brings a real conflict of interest in round one...but I'll comply with the no homer policy.

After Hampton than it would be great for another A10 team to take the title. UNH has been a big turnaround. Not long ago that was a sure W on the schedule.
since we can't pick our own team, I am of course going to pick the Spiders b/c I only the National Champions to beat us if we don't win it all.

FUwolfpacker
November 22nd, 2005, 12:37 PM
I'll say Richmond or Northern Iowa.

windwalker
November 22nd, 2005, 12:45 PM
My sentimental favorite is UNI.

But my head favorite is App State.

Mustang OL
November 22nd, 2005, 12:50 PM
If I can't chose the Griz I am picking Cal Poly. Ellerson & Co. have really turned that program around & their fans are very classy.

Thanks for the props. Coach E has done a great job turning the program around in only 5 years. I would like to see NC return to the west. Montana, EWU or Cal Poly. Since I can't pick the 'Stangs, I will pick EWU because we beat them and could claim a win over the NC.

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2005, 12:59 PM
Gee - where to start....

EWU - to help quiet the "Big Sky is nothing but Montana" crowd
Montana - Big Sky!
Cal Poly - bring trophy out west
SIU - Sister's alma mater
EIU - Brother's alma mater
UNI - similiar school in many ways to NAU
Lafayette - to shut the YSU fans up
Nicholls State - to hear announcers everywhere try to pronounce Thibodaux

Bottom of list
UNH/Richmond - if either one wins, the A-10 crowd will get even more high and mighty :p

rokamortis
November 22nd, 2005, 01:03 PM
I would love to see Hampton win it all and prove everyone wrong.

LacesOut
November 22nd, 2005, 01:14 PM
Richmond.

Keep the trophy in the A-10 South.

colgate13
November 22nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
For pure kicks, a Lafayette-Colgate matchup would shut a lot of us up.

Wouldn't that be a hoot! I'm trying to get in touch with the devil right now (sorry joe!)

But that follows my logic: if Homer stays home, I'm a Leopard fan until October 28, 2006!

Cocky
November 22nd, 2005, 01:22 PM
EIU-The OVC needs it.

bostonspider
November 22nd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Either UNH to keep it in the A10 or Hampton to keep it in the great Commonwealth of Virginia...

LarryBoy
November 22nd, 2005, 01:46 PM
If not Furman, then....(gulp) App. State. They're too good of a program to not have a NC.

igo4uni
November 22nd, 2005, 02:21 PM
Lafayette.

peace

igo4uni

Tubby Raymond
November 22nd, 2005, 02:23 PM
Spidah's

HU trounced in round #1, to keep the traditon of fine perfromances by the MEAC in the playoffs

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 22nd, 2005, 02:24 PM
Bottom of list
UNH/Richmond - if either one wins, the A-10 crowd will get even more high and mighty :p

Yes, I'm a homer, but I have some good reasons for wishing UNH well despite what the A-10 crowd will do down the road.

If you ask most of that A-10 crowd, they'll probably admit a certain level of shock that UNH has won the auto-bid and goes into the tournament as the number one seed. The A-10 folks all know that UNH has serious obstacles to overcome to just be competitive in the A-10!! For example:

can't rely on a wealth of in-state talent
has high out-of-state tuition making the reliance on out-of-state players more expensive
has high academic standards making the reliance on out-of-state players more challenging from an Admissions standpoint
has poor facilities although the Azumah Center is a pretty good weight center
has to accept second sport status on campus due to ice hockey
has had to overcome a decade (or so) of administrative indifference (or worse) at the same time the A-10 significantly improved
is farther from recruiting hotbeds than all other A-10 schools except Maine
doesn't have resources generated like 20K+ crowds at Delaware
Doesn't have scholarships endowed like William & Mary (and Richmond???)
Doesn't have Big East money like Villanova
Doesn't have I-A tradition like W&M, Richmond and Nova
Doesn't have nice facilities and significant in-state talent like JMU and Towson
Doesn't have good facilities and proximity to the NY/NJ/PA recruiting hotbed like Hofstra, Delaware and Villanova

Folks, the UNH roster isn't loaded with "blue chippers". You'll see that the All A-10 team released today isn't loaded with UNH players. Even our Payton candidates weren't heavily recruited. As difficult to believe as it is today, Santos and Ball weren't recruited much at all! Thankfully, UNH has a history of giving kids a chance, of a walk-on tradition, of locating kids in non-traditional locales (VT, Quebec, etc.) and of developing kids once in the program.

Luckily, UNH has a coach who played at UNH on one of the best teams in UNH History (any Montana State folks around from 1976?) and coached at UNH under the legendary Bill Bowes. And he's instilled upon his players the NH trait of doing more with less. He's developed a team that has taken all the obstacles I mentioned as motivation. Just like last year when they took the schedule with opening road games at Delaware followed by Rutgers as a challenge. Its a team that has worked extremely hard during the off season with as many as 60 players staying on campus.

To me this UNH team is a testament to all those preached ideals about good things coming to good people who work hard. And what's that cliche -- the whole is greater than the sum of the parts! Add in a very innovative offense and it's been a lot of fun watching this team. And its accomplishments won't be forgotten if a trophy isn't hoisted in Chatty!

Come on board! Wildcat Nation welcomes you onto the bandwagon!!

TypicalTribe
November 22nd, 2005, 02:33 PM
since we can't pick our own team, I am of course going to pick the Spiders b/c I only the National Champions to beat us if we don't win it all.

You could lose to someone else, you know.

89Hen
November 22nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
1. Richmond... A10 South
2. UNH... A10

GSU and Montana have to be on the bottom of my list since I'd like one day for the Hens to gain some ground on them. :p

Eagle_77
November 22nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
I am going to have to go with App St as well. They have been one of the better program for a very long time but have very little to show for it. Second in line would probably be Nichols St becaue of what they have been through just to make it to the playoffs.

Hansel
November 22nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
The Mustangs, if they win it all the GWFC will have the best IAA playoff record of all time.

Gil Dobie
November 22nd, 2005, 02:54 PM
Great West Representative Cal-Poly
or Nichols State ( because we beat them)
or SIU, another team from NDSU's schedule.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 22nd, 2005, 02:57 PM
My sister's alma mater and fellow A-10 member - Richmond!

Killsback
November 22nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
The 1983 National Champions...SIU Salukis. It's been awhile....(sigh)

buckp
November 22nd, 2005, 03:15 PM
Someone that hasn't won it before.....:eek:

Spread the wealth - it's good for the school, I-AA and AGS!!!! :nod:

Grizo406
November 22nd, 2005, 03:32 PM
Not being able to pick our own team, I'll choose EWU. If MSU was in the playoffs, and it's a shame they aren't, I'd pick them.

Pretty easy to see that EWU will make it passed the 1st round, but if they falter after that, I'm going with Colgate. ;) :D

swaghook
November 22nd, 2005, 05:20 PM
Cal Poly to bring home a NC to the GWFC. :cool:

DTSpider
November 22nd, 2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all the love. 89Hen even changed his avitar to the spider helmet.

Laserlips
November 22nd, 2005, 06:09 PM
App State cause they beat our butts (GSU) fairly and squarely...

or

Montan Griz simply because they're a class act.

JP

Eagles_Cliff
November 22nd, 2005, 06:11 PM
I'd have to go with Appy for the reasons stated above and my second pick would be UNI.

Its easier to pick who I want to lose the first round:
Tex St..obvious
Montana...dont want to go to Missoula (in December, September would be ok)
EWU....only one eagles team allowed
UNH....once every four years is enough attention
HU....conference tradition
Lafayette....don't get me started
Furman........FU ALL THE TIME;)
EIU...conference tradition

Cap'n Cat
November 22nd, 2005, 06:25 PM
If I can't pick UNI, I'd have to say anyone but a Big Sky team.

:)

UNH 1999
November 22nd, 2005, 07:41 PM
Georgia Southern for no other reason than my wife would be estatic. If she's happy, I'm happy. :D

GaSouthern
November 22nd, 2005, 07:45 PM
UNI or Griz

But I think its about damn time for appy to get at least one flag.

Cap'n Cat
November 22nd, 2005, 08:00 PM
UNI or Griz

Lovin' the UNI love, guys.

BTW, GaS, diggin' that signature!

LMFatAO!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p :p :D :D :D :p :p :p

McNeese75
November 22nd, 2005, 08:17 PM
Nicholls State!!!

Just because :D

Mountain Panther
November 22nd, 2005, 08:18 PM
UNI or Griz

I've heard that Texas State has the best looking college girls in the country, but apparently the games are not the place to meet them.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
Gotta go with my PL brothers...Both wear maroon. I matchup in Chattanooga would be cataclismic..Mixed emotions on picking between them. It would be nice to say we beat the National Champions in their house, on the other hand, I live outside Easton and have a number of Lafayette friends who have suffered greatly until last year...My influence to the highest bidder ;)

Cap'n Cat
November 22nd, 2005, 08:26 PM
I've heard that Texas State has the best looking college girls in the country, but apparently the games are not the place to meet them.

Yo, MP. The best looking college girls are at:

UNI and GSU.

Word.

Gil Dobie
November 22nd, 2005, 08:34 PM
Yo, MP. The best looking college girls are at:

UNI and GSU.

Word.

Must have been the UNI & GSU girls with NDSU logo wear at the Bison vs Minnesota basketball game on Friday night. I wonder who won the game anyway :confused:

Pantherpower
November 22nd, 2005, 11:29 PM
Da Bears

W. DeMontague
November 22nd, 2005, 11:45 PM
EWU or Appy.

umassfan
November 23rd, 2005, 05:01 AM
Im rooting for a UNH Richmond NC game so the A10 can prove we still are on top.

bluehenbillk
November 23rd, 2005, 07:27 AM
I'd like to see a 3-peat for the A-10.

Tribe4SF
November 23rd, 2005, 07:49 AM
UNH......so the Tribe can say we were the only I-AA team to beat the national champ's of the last two years.

griz8791
November 23rd, 2005, 08:24 AM
[Summarizes the long list of problems UNH has had to overcome]

Which is exactly why from way out here it's easy to admire your success.

Canyoncat
November 23rd, 2005, 09:47 AM
I would like to see EWU win it. Meyer and Kimbel are a lot of fun to watch! I would then probably like to see UNI or the Griz if EWU can't do it.

GO CATS!!
see ya'll next year :D

ysubigred
November 23rd, 2005, 09:50 AM
SIU!! Coach Kill deserves it :xmas:

Wellington
November 23rd, 2005, 09:56 AM
EWU, Cal Poly, or UM.

SeattleGriz
November 23rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
EWU because it would be one more reason to thumb our noses at the BCS. With the playoffs, the best team at the end of the year wins. Can you imagine the BCS crap ever picking a 4 loss team to play for anything?

OL FU
November 23rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Im rooting for a UNH Richmond NC game so the A10 can prove we still are on top.

xpumpukex

Shut your mouth :D

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 23rd, 2005, 10:32 AM
As an A-10 advocate, UNH vs. Richmond

As a I-AA fan, UNH vs. App St.

Also, I would love to see another run by a long shot kind of team. This year, I give that honor to UNI.

On the other siden of the brackets, I see Southern Illinois as a road warrior type. They could hand the SoCon a harsh blow if they are able to take out #2 App St. on the road in round 2. Somehow, I don't think the mountaineers fan base would be as gracious losers as Furman's fans were last year...

I know I am jumping the gun on a lot of those matchups, just specualting though.

My favorite matchups / potential matchups:

Round 1:
In-state matches with UR vs. Hampton and E. Illionois vs. S. Illinois

Quarters:
Richmond vs. Furman - battle of proabably the best two private schools in the South Note: If this matchup happens, can we name it the Battle for the Confederacy? :D

GSU vs. Montana - I-AA Championship traditions, but neither should make the finals.

SIU vs. App St. - Intriguing matchup vs unlikely opponents (do these conferences ever play each other?)

Semis:
Conference Championship possibilities:
Montana vs. EWU

Furman vs. App St.

OL FU
November 23rd, 2005, 10:32 AM
I'd like to see a 3-peat for the A-10.

You too.
xpumpukex

ButlerGSU
November 23rd, 2005, 01:51 PM
I want an underdog team.

OL FU
November 23rd, 2005, 01:55 PM
As an A-10 advocate, UNH vs. Richmond

As a I-AA fan, UNH vs. App St.

Also, I would love to see another run by a long shot kind of team. This year, I give that honor to UNI.

On the other siden of the brackets, I see Southern Illinois as a road warrior type. They could hand the SoCon a harsh blow if they are able to take out #2 App St. on the road in round 2. Somehow, I don't think the mountaineers fan base would be as gracious losers as Furman's fans were last year...

I know I am jumping the gun on a lot of those matchups, just specualting though.

My favorite matchups / potential matchups:

Round 1:
In-state matches with UR vs. Hampton and E. Illionois vs. S. Illinois

Quarters:
Richmond vs. Furman - battle of proabably the best two private schools in the South Note: If this matchup happens, can we name it the Battle for the Confederacy? :D

GSU vs. Montana - I-AA Championship traditions, but neither should make the finals.

SIU vs. App St. - Intriguing matchup vs unlikely opponents (do these conferences ever play each other?)

Semis:
Conference Championship possibilities:
Montana vs. EWU

Furman vs. App St.

I would vote to leave the confederacy out of it. Although I think the former and current SoCon member battle makes it interesting.

OldSchool85
November 23rd, 2005, 02:19 PM
Guess I'll have to go with Richmond; can't pick my own team, so here's to the Spiders keeping the title in the A-10... and the Commonwealth ;)

Tribefan
November 23rd, 2005, 05:35 PM
UNH of course.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2005, 08:02 PM
If not Furman, then....(gulp) App. State. They're too good of a program to not have a NC.

Since I can't pick my Dawgs I go with UNI (always the bridesmaid, never the bride) for the same reason he picked App State.

November 23rd, 2005, 08:31 PM
Hampton undefeated season and all...

GrizSweeper
November 23rd, 2005, 08:34 PM
Eastern Washington, everybody thinks that with a 7-4 record and having to play in THE DOME, they're toast. I would love to just see there offense roll over everybody on the way to the NC (except UM of course).

MiloCat
November 23rd, 2005, 11:41 PM
I'd have to go with SIU. At least it would be in the Gateway.

Eastern Washington, everybody thinks that with a 7-4 record and having to play in THE DOME, they're toast. I would love to just see there offense roll over everybody on the way to the NC (except UM of course).

There are a lot of people in the prediction thread picking EWU. Anyone who thinks they are going to be blown out of the water because it's in the Dome is wrong, IMO. I hope it happens, but it will be a great game.

Mustang Man
November 24th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Would love for Cal Poly to take down the Griz in the first round, GSU in the quarterfinals, UNI in the semifinals and Hampton in the championship game.