PDA

View Full Version : Major coaching movement-FCS

Wildcat80
February 9th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I will not come close to naming all of them but for starters Devine from UNh to BC is huge for us. Not irreplaceable but a good coach. Heffernan from Lafayette to NW. Satterfield from AppSt to Toledo. Huesman from Richmond to UTC HC. Entire new staff at Towson. New HC at Umass. Trainer left URI. One thing that is inevitable at our level with success--good coaches move on. Did I miss any?

bisonguy
February 9th, 2009, 06:44 PM
NDSU lost both coordinators this offseason.

OC has already been replaced, DC sounds like an announcement will be made this week (supposedly Mike Breske).

ncbears
February 9th, 2009, 06:46 PM
NDSU lost both coordinators this offseason.

OC has already been replaced, DC sounds like an announcement will be made this week (supposedly Mike Breske).

Breske was our d-coordinator when we won our back to back d2 national titles.

th0m
February 10th, 2009, 01:53 AM
JMU DC
Yale HC

Probably quite a bit more out there.

CSUBUCDAD
February 10th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Chuck South lost a huge asset in Jamie Chadwell. He is largely responsible for the last two recruiting classes who are unquestionably the best two classes we have ever had in the history of the program. He will be very tough to replace on that front.

Libertine
February 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Liberty lost our OC/OL coach, Scott Wachenheim, to the Redskins, our DL/STC, Chad Wilt, to UVa and our LB coach, Robert Wimberly to U of Buffalo. Good for those guys.

andy7171
February 10th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I will not come close to naming all of them but for starters Devine from UNh to BC is huge for us. Not irreplaceable but a good coach. Heffernan from Lafayette to NW. Satterfield from AppSt to Toledo. Huesman from Richmond to UTC HC. Entire new staff at Towson. New HC at Umass. Trainer left URI. One thing that is inevitable at our level with success--good coaches move on. Did I miss any?

Not entirely new staff at Towson. Ambrose kept o-line coach Donatelli and the WR coach Gary. And several of the other coaches, including Ambrose himself have been on the Tiger staff before.

JMU Newbill
February 10th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Don't worry guys... Mickey Matthews isn't going anywhere!!!!

I know App State has been trying to sway him over to the So Con, but no such luck this year guys!

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 10th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Poly's HC leaving for Army?

slostang
February 10th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Poly's HC leaving for Army?

And he took five assistants including the OC and DC. He was replaced by former Portland State's head coach Tim Walsh who took two Army assistants with him to Cal Poly.

ASUG8
February 10th, 2009, 08:32 AM

I know App State has been trying to sway him over to the So Con, but no such luck this year guys!

I think he wanted in, but we sent him back xlolx

SideLine Shooter
February 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM

I hear he wanted the utc job. He figured that would be the only way he could get back to Chatty.

Green26
February 11th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Montana is losing 3 assistants.

Pete Kaligas, o-line coach, went to Wyoming. This occurred in late December. Kaligas played o-line at Washington and was the UW strength coach before coming to Montana. He's been at Montana about 4 years.

Cedric Cormier, receiver coach, is going to Miami of Ohio. He played football at Colorado and came to Montana from a high school in Texas. He's been at Montana 2 years.

Dom Daste, tight end coach and former o-line coach, is going to San Jose St. He played o-line at Washington and was a grad assistant at UW before coming to Montana. He's been at Montana 6 years.

I assume all of these guys more than doubled their pay, and may have come close to tripling their pay. When Hauck's assistants get good opportunities, he encourages them to take the opportunity. In some cases, he has had to insist they take the good opportunity. Montana doesn't pay its assistants very well. The last two got their new jobs this week. Great guys and good coaches. They will be missed. None have been replaced yet.

JALMOND
February 11th, 2009, 02:22 AM
And he took five assistants including the OC and DC. He was replaced by former Portland State's head coach Tim Walsh who took two Army assistants with him to Cal Poly.

You guys got a good one in Walsh. He oversaw our transistion from DII to FCS. Also knows the California juco system very well. Recruits nothing but quality characters who can play the game. You should be proud of his players, on the field, in the classroom, and within the community.

busybee14
February 11th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Chuck South lost a huge asset in Jamie Chadwell. He is largely responsible for the last two recruiting classes who are unquestionably the best two classes we have ever had in the history of the program. He will be very tough to replace on that front.

were did Chadwell end up going?

Libertine
February 11th, 2009, 08:03 AM
were did Chadwell end up going?

Chadwell is the new head coach at D2 North Greenville.

UCAMonkey
February 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Central Arkansas HC Clint Conque is rumored to be interested in an assistants position with LSU.

putter
February 11th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Pete Kaligas, o-line coach, went to Wyoming. This occurred in late December. Kaligas played o-line at Washington and was the UW strength coach before coming to Montana. He's been at Montana about 4 years.

Cedric Cormier, receiver coach, is going to Miami of Ohio. He played football at Colorado and came to Montana from a high school in Texas. He's been at Montana 2 years.

Dom Daste, tight end coach and former o-line coach, is going to San Jose St. He played o-line at Washington and was a grad assistant at UW before coming to Montana. He's been at Montana 6 years.

I assume all of these guys more than doubled their pay, and may have come close to tripling their pay. When Hauck's assistants get good opportunities, he encourages them to take the opportunity. In some cases, he has had to insist they take the good opportunity. Montana doesn't pay its assistants very well. The last two got their new jobs this week. Great guys and good coaches. They will be missed. None have been replaced yet.

Wow, Cormier was a great recruiter and will be missed. You are correct, Montana and Dennison, don't pay the assistants anything.

Ronbo
February 11th, 2009, 10:26 AM

According to equity in athletics for the period 6-30-2007 to 6-30-2008 the average assistant coach at Montana makes $49,558. This is all 17 men's assistant coache's in all men's sports.

I highly doubt they doubled their salaries at Miami of Ohio or San Jose State. Possibly the O-Line Coach "almost" doubles his at Colorado but didn't triple.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx

I'll also point out that living in Missoula is quite a bit cheaper than San Jose or Boulder, Colorado. More in line with the Ohio job I'll bet.

According to the same website assistants at:

San Jose State average $66,464
Miami of Ohio average $61,520
Colorado average $106,904

Green26
February 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM
The average asst football coach, excluding the coordinators, does not make anything close to $50,000. In fact, I believe only one UM asst (excluding coordinators) makes $50,000, and I'm not sure even he makes $50,000. I've heard the actual figures for one of the coaches, and it is a fact that he more than doubled what he was making at UM. None of these 3 coaches is going to Colorado.

Ronbo
February 11th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Green I heard the OC and DC make about $65,000. The average for ALL 17 men's assistants at Montana is $49,558 averaged. Those two $65,000 salaries don't make much difference when you have 17 coaches averaging $49,558.

I would bet a position coach at Montana makes $42,000 or in that neighborhood. That's great pay in a community where the median average income is $32,000.

Oh yes, my bad, the O-Line coach went to Wyoming. The Wyoming O-Line coach went to Colorado. My mistake.

Wyoming assistants average the same as Colorado. $106 K

Ronbo
February 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM
This was posted over at eGriz by Former-Butte-Griz.

I was on the U of M's website and saw that they have the job posted under "careers". They are offering $54k-$57k for an "assistant football coach" job. I'm assuming this is the O-Line position.

Looks like a Montana O-Line coach makes about 50+ grand. It wouldn't be hard to figure that most of the position coaches make 45-50+ grand.

CrazyCat
February 11th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Green I heard the OC and DC make about $65,000. The average for ALL 17 men's assistants at Montana is $49,558 averaged. Those two $65,000 salaries don't make much difference when you have 17 coaches averaging $49,558.

I would bet a position coach at Montana makes $42,000 or in that neighborhood. That's great pay in a community where the median average income is $32,000.

Oh yes, my bad, the O-Line coach went to Wyoming. The Wyoming O-Line coach went to Colorado. My mistake.

Wyoming assistants average the same as Colorado. $106 K

As EWU just found out, aren't you only allowed to have 11 coaches total?

Ronbo
February 11th, 2009, 09:37 PM
That's 17 assistants for all men's sports. Football, basketball, tennis, track. The 17 assistants average $49,558 but the football asst. coaches probably make the most.

Green26
February 11th, 2009, 11:26 PM
According to the linked article, from 2008, Montana assistant football coaches average $41,000 per year.

This include coordinators whom Ronbo says make $65,000 per year. Montana also has a non-coordinator who is an associate head coach, which I believe means he makes closer to what a coordinator makes.

"— Montana had 10 assistant coaches last season and their combined salary was about $410,000."

http://www.mtstandard.com/articles/2008/07/05/sports_college/hjjbjcjejcgajg.txt

smallcollegefbfan
February 12th, 2009, 10:45 AM

The only cases where good coaches move on are ones who are up in age and are looking at retirement down the line or have a lot put into where they live. These younger coaches in their 20s and 30s and even some in their 50s are going to move on. That is why I don't get why fans praise a coach at their school and yet no good FBS offers come their way.