PDA

View Full Version : Worst matchup?

AppGuy04
November 22nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
What team do you think might be a bad matchup for your team?

For App, I think UNH would be a bad matchup because they are pass happy and our biggest weakness is teams that pass alot.

LacesOut
November 22nd, 2005, 07:51 AM
I don't have a team in the playoffs.

But the worst matchup is GSU vs. Texas State. Two good teams that should not be playing each other in the first round, IMO.

dirtbag
November 22nd, 2005, 08:59 AM

But the worst matchup is GSU vs. Texas State. Two good teams that should not be playing each other in the first round, IMO.

No team should be forced to play GSU in the first round. It's just not fair. They're too good. They should be given a bye into the championship round. Then, *MAYBE* it would be fair to make another team play them. As long as they televised it really late at night so that unsupervised kids wouldn't be able to watch all the carnage and humiliation the Eagles would wreak on their hopelessly overmatched opponent.

Ronbo
November 22nd, 2005, 09:03 AM

GPI says Montana #4 vs. Cal Poly #5 is the two best teams playing in the first round.

dwtime
November 22nd, 2005, 09:17 AM

For App, I think UNH would be a bad matchup because they are pass happy and our biggest weakness is teams that pass alot.

Well 'IF' that matchup happens it will be in the NC. At that point you are pretty much assured of playing an excellent opponent anyways.

blackfordpu
November 22nd, 2005, 09:25 AM
Well 'IF' that matchup happens it will be in the NC. At that point you are pretty much assured of playing an excellent opponent anyways.

Or a really lucky one. :)

Eagle_77
November 22nd, 2005, 09:29 AM
No team should be forced to play GSU in the first round. It's just not fair. They're too good. They should be given a bye into the championship round. Then, *MAYBE* it would be fair to make another team play them. As long as they televised it really late at night so that unsupervised kids wouldn't be able to watch all the carnage and humiliation the Eagles would wreak on their hopelessly overmatched opponent.

Dont they have a smack board for this crap? Someone states there opinion, not even a GSU fan might I add, and you go on crapping from the mouth. Take it to the smack board or shut up.

LacesOut
November 22nd, 2005, 09:31 AM
GPI says Montana #4 vs. Cal Poly #5 is the two best teams playing in the first round.

That's another good one that is played too early. Again, JMO. I'm sure plenty of other fans love these great first round matchups.

kalm
November 22nd, 2005, 09:36 AM
USC :D

No seriously, Idaho St. or Weber St. :p

AppGuy04
November 22nd, 2005, 09:46 AM

maybe i should have said "possible matchups"

you guys always seem to dissect every question ;)

DinoDex200
November 22nd, 2005, 09:51 AM

I disagree, no one has really lit us up through the air this year. The 1 I-AA game where we really struggled was Furman, and that was because of their power running game. We seem okay against the triple option, but have trouble when team's line it up and hit us in the mouth. Probably due to our smallish DT's. Even Chattanooga moved the ball on us that way...

I think our toughest match-up (other than Furman, obviously) could come in a potential 2nd round clash with Southern Illinois. First things first, of course...beat the spots off those kitties!!! :spank: :D :nod:

AppGuy04
November 22nd, 2005, 09:53 AM
I disagree, no one has really lit us up through the air this year. The 1 I-AA game where we really struggled was Furman, and that was because of their power running game. We seem okay against the triple option, but have trouble when team's line it up and hit us in the mouth. Probably due to our smallish DT's. Even Chattanooga moved the ball on us that way...

I think our toughest match-up (other than Furman, obviously) could come in a potential 2nd round clash with Southern Illinois. First things first, of course...beat the spots off those kitties!!! :spank: :D :nod:

Having stopped GSU and Wofford, I think our run D is just better than our pass D

dirtbag
November 22nd, 2005, 09:59 AM
Dont they have a smack board for this crap? Someone states there opinion, not even a GSU fan might I add, and you go on crapping from the mouth. Take it to the smack board or shut up.

I posted my first round predictions and was told by a GSU fan (IAA_pwns_IA) that I wasn't giving GSU enough respect.

Sheesh, there's no pleasing you Iggles...

:rolleyes:

Black and Gold Express
November 22nd, 2005, 09:59 AM

I disagree completely with this sentiment. Our pass defense has been good. Our true defensive weakness has been against runs up the middle. We have not struggled with it every game, but when teams have found success up the gut, it's opened up the other parts of their game. Look at EKU, Chattanooga, and Furman as a classic example of I-AA teams that have found success up the gut on us.

That we're 2-1 in those games, and very well could have been 3-0, speaks a lot about the caliber of our team. But that has been a weak spot all season on the defensive side of the ball. One we need to shore up if we want to go as far as some people think we might.

Black and Gold Express
November 22nd, 2005, 10:01 AM
Having stopped GSU and Wofford, I think our run D is just better than our pass D

That's a myopic viewpoint of it. First and foremost, neither Wofford or GSU has a passing game worth a damn. So we could overload on the run and not have to worry too much about them beating us with the pass.

Look again at EKU, FU, and UC and you'll see what we're talking about. They were good offenses with the ability to both run and pass, and they all gashed us up the middle.

A one-dimensional offense of any kind, we can stop. Balance will give us fits if they find the success on the ground.

AppGuy04
November 22nd, 2005, 10:03 AM
That's a myopic viewpoint of it. First and foremost, neither Wofford or GSU has a passing game worth a damn. So we could overload on the run and not have to worry too much about them beating us with the pass.

Look again at EKU, FU, and UC and you'll see what we're talking about. They were good offenses with the ability to both run and pass, and they all gashed us up the middle.

A one-dimensional offense of any kind, we can stop. Balance will give us fits if they find the success on the ground.

I see your point, I just don't see anything glaring out at me, run or pass

Black and Gold Express
November 22nd, 2005, 10:16 AM
I see your point, I just don't see anything glaring out at me, run or pass

EKU - 234 yards rushing, 266 yards passing, +18 minute TOP advantage

FUR - 197 yards rushing, 252 yards passing, +5 minute TOP advantage (we ran the ball a lot better to offset that)

UC - 271 yards rushing, 9-18-89 passing (thank God their QB stunk that day)

That, to me, is glaring.

We're not a bad defense. But, like Furman, neither are we world beaters against good offenses. We're good enough, and we have a terrific offense to get us in favorable situations.

But our biggest weakness is definitely run D.

DinoDex200
November 22nd, 2005, 10:20 AM

Again, though, they both run the triple option/flexbone, which is based on misdirection and assignment football. A fast, disciplined defense can slow that down. However, a small, fast, disciplined, defense can still get blown off the ball by big blocking back, TE's and some big O-Linemen - None of which GSU or Wofford have or specialize in...