PDA

View Full Version : CAA Schools Do Well in Jersey

foghorn
February 5th, 2009, 09:31 PM
New Jersey HS recruiting expert gives CAA schools high marks for Jersey boys.http://www.philly.com/inquirer/columnists/marc_narducci/20090204_Marc_Narducci__Expert_weighs_in_on_South_ Jersey_grid_recruits.html

R3TRO
February 5th, 2009, 10:23 PM
CAA or Delaware?

Ud1Hens
February 5th, 2009, 11:21 PM
UD, W & M, and Maine then...

foghorn
February 5th, 2009, 11:22 PM
CAA or Delaware?
If you read the article, he gives praise to Maine for signing Capella, UD for Breaker, Tunstall and Catollico, but he is most impressed with QB Caprio, who is headed to W&M. He actually compares Caprio to Tebow!xbowx

mainejeff
February 6th, 2009, 12:03 AM
This article is only referring to "South" Jersey.

Maine recruited New Jersey (North, Central, and South) better than any other CAA program this year. They signed 10 recruits from the Garden State including some (Clay, Cole, Eastman, Gakos) that could do very well in the CAA.

Tribe4SF
February 6th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Maine signed as many from Jersey as the Tribe had in their entire class.xthumbsupx

In addition to Caprio, W&M signed OLB Paul Amakihe from Freehold Township.

henfan
February 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Surprised that Richmond, affectionately known as UNJ-R, only signed one recruit from the State of NJ.

JMU DJ
February 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Why wouldn't the CAA do well in recruiting from NJ? That'd be like saying the SoCon doesn't recruit well from Georgia or the Big Sky doesn't recruit well in Canada... I mean Montana.

ur2k
February 6th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Surprised that Richmond, affectionately known as UNJ-R, only signed one recruit from the State of NJ.

xlolx I was just going to say that. We actually had 7 of the 14 from this class from Virginia. Only one from NJ, but he - Kendall Gaskins - went to HS in VA.

Here's the link our class since I haven't seen it listed here. Word is that we are in the hunt for possibly one more.

http://richmondspiders.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020409abg.html

danefan
February 6th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Well I would put NJ as the #4 state in the US for high school football talent (behind TX, FL, and CA).

Its only natural that CAA schools would recruit heavily from the closest talent rich state.

DTSpider
February 6th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Well I would put NJ as the #4 state in the US for high school football talent (behind TX, FL, and CA).

Its only natural that CAA schools would recruit heavily from the closest talent rich state.

I have a very hard time believing that NJ is superior to PA, VA, GA

danefan
February 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Sorry - you're right about PA (I forgot about PA).

But I'd put NJ up against VA or GA. Of course this is an argument that can never be won by either party. xlolx:D

WMTribe90
February 6th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Hey NJ is some fine football and there's no way to win this argument, but I think CA, TX, FL, PA, OH, VA and probably GA are ahead of NJ in terms of HS football talent. Top ten in talent for sure though.

It'll be interesting to see how recruiting changes in the mid-atlantic with the addition of ODU, GSU and the addition of schollies in the NEC. Seems like just about every NEC, PFL, Ivy and CAA program now recruits hevily in PA, NJ, MD and VA.

I think GSU is in a pretty good position as the southern-most CAA program. They can recruit FL to NC, a talent rich area, an offer these kids a chance to compete in the CAA and stay relatively close to home.

jmufan999
February 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM

of course it's subjective, but i'd have to respectfully disagree on that one (although TX, FL, and CA are clearly the top 3). the northeast in general is pretty weak when it comes to football on the HS and college level. i'd put GA and OK above NJ.

jmufan999
February 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM
haha Tribe90, you beat me to it! didn't think about PA. good call on that one too.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 6th, 2009, 02:37 PM
of course it's subjective, but i'd have to respectfully disagree on that one (although TX, FL, and CA are clearly the top 3). the northeast in general is pretty weak when it comes to football on the HS and college level. i'd put GA and OK above NJ.

Unless you have a different definition of the Northeast, not sure how you can say that when considering NJ and PA. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 6th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Then explain Rutgers football over the last 20 years...

I agree that NJ has some good football, but I think you'd have to put it in a group that includes Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Georgia.

Georgia would be my #4.

The 757 (VA Beach Area) might be the area code with the most football talent in the country.

danefan
February 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM

I agree that NJ has some good football, but I think you'd have to put it in a group that includes Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Georgia.

Georgia would be my #4.

The 757 (VA Beach Area) might be the area code with the most football talent in the country.

I've admitted that I forgot PA, and it would certainly be above NJ, but Rutgers football has sucked for 20 years because they didn't start getting the top talent from NJ until Schiano.

The top 15-20 recruits every year went to schools outside of NJ - Miami, Florida State, etc..

The 2001 Miami national championshipship roster has more kids from NJ than any state besides FL and Texas (which only has 2 more than NJ). Schiano was a recruiting machine at Miami and sucked up all the NJ boys.

WMTribe90
February 6th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I've admitted that I forgot PA, and it would certainly be above NJ, but Rutgers football has sucked for 20 years because they didn't start getting the top talent from NJ until Schiano.

The top 15-20 recruits every year went to schools outside of NJ - Miami, Florida State, etc..

The 2001 Miami national championshipship roster has more kids from NJ than any state besides FL and Texas (which only has 2 more than NJ). Schiano was a recruiting machine at Miami and sucked up all the NJ boys

No argument there. Penn State also pulled more NJ talent than Rutgers until recently.

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM

The 2001 Miami national championshipship roster has more kids from NJ than any state besides FL and Texas (which only has 2 more than NJ). Schiano was a recruiting machine at Miami and sucked up all the NJ boys.

Understood ... I was raised in New Jersey. My point is this: If New Jersey the '4th best' talent pool of any state, you would figure the State University would be leftover with enough crumbs to have a decent program.

aust42
February 7th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Understood ... I was raised in New Jersey. My point is this: If New Jersey the '4th best' talent pool of any state, you would figure the State University would be leftover with enough crumbs to have a decent program.

As mentioned by other posters NJ's top talent goes elsewhere. In any given year I would agree that NJ is a "top four" recruiting state. I'm not sure about these days but back in my day (I'm 40) Nebraska heavily recruited out of NJ during their power years. Mike Rozier was a NJ product. Wisconsin recruited heavily out of NJ too. Ron Dayne was a NJ product.

Rutgers (until recently) could never get "enough crumbs" from NJ to have a decent program. Rutgers sucked for decades ergo having a weak football tradition and following. Rutgers is not really identifiable with the state of NJ as far as football/sports goes. It's is way up in North Jersey and does not get any TV coverage throughout the state except that general local Rutgers area. Every state has the "University of Michigan, Georgia, Texas, Florida" etc. What does NJ have? Rutgers.

Tribe4SF
February 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Rutgers does pretty well in NJ these days. They got nine of the Rivals NJ Top 30 this year.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 7th, 2009, 07:34 AM
As mentioned by other posters NJ's top talent goes elsewhere. In any given year I would agree that NJ is a "top four" recruiting state. I'm not sure about these days but back in my day (I'm 40) Nebraska heavily recruited out of NJ during their power years. Mike Rozier was a NJ product. Wisconsin recruited heavily out of NJ too. Ron Dayne was a NJ product.

Rutgers (until recently) could never get "enough crumbs" from NJ to have a decent program. Rutgers sucked for decades ergo having a weak football tradition and following. Rutgers is not really identifiable with the state of NJ as far as football/sports goes. It's is way up in North Jersey and does not get any TV coverage throughout the state except that general local Rutgers area. Every state has the "University of Michigan, Georgia, Texas, Florida" etc. What does NJ have? Rutgers.

Isn't the bulk of NJ's population way up in North Jersey? xconfusedx JMHO, but Rutgers is pretty centrally located on the south side of NE Jersey.

Could the TV problem be that most of the TV stations that people in NJ watch emanate from NYC and Philly? I know when I visit friends in South Jersey (exit 5 for old SNL fans), we're always watching Philly TV stations.

It is similar in NH, there is only one major network affiliate that is based in NH. Most people in the southern tier watch Boston TV stations and the folks up north watch Maine TV stations. TV does nothing to build the state wide support that I see in Maine for the Black Bears. I think TV coverage is a major factor in that.

813Jag
February 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Sorry - you're right about PA (I forgot about PA).

But I'd put NJ up against VA or GA. Of course this is an argument that can never be won by either party. xlolx:D
I'm late to the party but I'd like to throw Louisiana in the talent arguement. xlolx

813Jag
February 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Georgia would be my #4.

I respectfully submit 305 (Miami) or 561 (Belle Glade and Pahokee).

aust42
February 7th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Isn't the bulk of NJ's population way up in North Jersey? xconfusedx JMHO, but Rutgers is pretty centrally located on the south side of NE Jersey.

Could the TV problem be that most of the TV stations that people in NJ watch emanate from NYC and Philly? I know when I visit friends in South Jersey (exit 5 for old SNL fans), we're always watching Philly TV stations.

It is similar in NH, there is only one major network affiliate that is based in NH. Most people in the southern tier watch Boston TV stations and the folks up north watch Maine TV stations. TV does nothing to build the state wide support that I see in Maine for the Black Bears. I think TV coverage is a major factor in that.

Yes the bulk of NJ's population is in North Jersey. I once heard the people per square mile up North Jersey is comparable to Japan. Not sure if that's true or not. I wouldn't say Rutgers centrally located, Brunswick is about 3/4's up the state. TV stations are divided by the Philly and New York markets. I'm originally from South Jersey (below the turnpike) and we got Philly coverage. They covered Temple, Delaware, Nova, Penn, even Penn State. Never saw any highlights of Rutgers on the news. Like I said before I don't think Rutgers is identifiable with the state of NJ and with their poor football history most NJ recruits in the past never even consider Rutgers. However the new coach has done an excellent job keeping in state talent in recent years ergo their recent success. They play in the Big East, upgraded their facilities last year so there is no reason why they shouldn't be a contender in the Big East year in and year out if they can keep the local talent.

JMU DJ
February 7th, 2009, 01:08 PM

I wanted to disagree with you here and point out that there is plenty of talent all across VA (The Barbers, Jones's, Charles Hailey, etc)... but then I remembered all of the players that have come out of Hampton Roads, the sports talent down there is ridiculous... Iverson was a 4 star football prospect from the 757. Not to mention all the baseball and basketball talent in the area... and you guys can brag about Bob Saget too.

BigHouseClosedEnd
February 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I wanted to disagree with you here and point out that there is plenty of talent all across VA (The Barbers, Jones's, Charles Hailey, etc)... but then I remembered all of the players that have come out of Hampton Roads, the sports talent down there is ridiculous... Iverson was a 4 star football prospect from the 757. Not to mention all the baseball and basketball talent in the area... and you guys can brag about Bob Saget too.

I'm not bragging about 757. I don't live there. I grew up in New Jersey and currently live in 804. I feel my observation is pretty objective.

The collection of talent in 757 is ridiculous. It is why ODU will be competitive very quickly.

BDKJMU
February 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Or Ohio.

And if we're talking Div I signees per capita I'd put them behind every state in the south too.

BDKJMU
February 7th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Yes the bulk of NJ's population is in North Jersey. I once heard the people per square mile up North Jersey is comparable to Japan. Not sure if that's true or not. I wouldn't say Rutgers centrally located, Brunswick is about 3/4's up the state. TV stations are divided by the Philly and New York markets. I'm originally from South Jersey (below the turnpike) and we got Philly coverage. They covered Temple, Delaware, Nova, Penn, even Penn State. Never saw any highlights of Rutgers on the news. Like I said before I don't think Rutgers is identifiable with the state of NJ and with their poor football history most NJ recruits in the past never even consider Rutgers. However the new coach has done an excellent job keeping in state talent in recent years ergo their recent success. They play in the Big East, upgraded their facilities last year so there is no reason why they shouldn't be a contender in the Big East year in and year out if they can keep the local talent.

NJ is the densest state.

aust42
February 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM
NJ is the densest state.

You are correct. NJ is the densest state and ranks 11th out of the 50 states in the most recent census for total population. Being from South Jersey I find this hard to believe. When I drive from my Mom's house to the shore all I see is farmland and Pine forests. NJ's motto is "The Garden State" and has vast amounts of farmland in South Jersey and 196 coast line miles of beautiful beaches. South Jersey also has 1.1 million acres of the federally protected Pinelands. Even though it's a small state South Jersey is night and day from North Jersey. As I mentioned in a previous post I heard (and now believe) that North Jersey's population per square mile is on par with Japan.

Sorry about the rant. NJ gets a bad rap. It's North Jersey that gives us that bad rap with the Long Island accents, New York hustle bustle attitudes and congestion. xoopsx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 7th, 2009, 09:25 PM

Sorry, I was inferring that Rutgers was centrally located considering the population of the state. Kind of as close to the geographic center as possible while still being close to the population center. Does that make sense?

JMG1MON
February 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I live in Northern New Jersey and I will say it is the reason NJ is the most densely populated state. Southern and Western Jersey is nothing compared to the northern portion of the state in terms of population.

The biggest reason Rutgers could never keep its talent home was Shea didn't recruit NJ all that well. He never made in-roads with the high schools. Schiano from day one talked about building a wall around the garden state and he has had some success in doing that. However, he is nowhere near what fans want. Now there will always be high schoolers who want to go out of state, but fans want to see all of the top players (i.e. Will Hill, etc.) choose Rutgers.

New Jersey has lots of talent but players in the south get to play football year round, which tends to make them somewhat better as a whole.