PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Recruiting Ratings - Lafayette

carney2
February 4th, 2009, 08:48 PM
LAFAYETTE – 55 Patsy Points

QUALITY = 29: Seven rated recruits (41% of the class) vs. 10 (36%) in 2008 and 15 (50% in 2007. After signing only one 2-star recruit in the past two years, the Pards landed 3 this time around, with 2 of them rating the rare double-double (receiving 2 stars from both Scout and Rivals recruiting services).

CLASS SIZE = 0: 17 recruits. Intentional? A change in strategy? The economy? A strict budget? A bad year? Waiting for some BCS crumbs to fall through the cracks? Recent Lafayette recruiting classes have been much larger: 28 in 2008 and 30 in 2007. Still, LFN’s Official Patriot League Commit Tracker thread is, so far, not showing big numbers for any Patriot League school, so let’s see how this plays out across the league.

DISTRIBUTION = 8: No wide receivers. This is probably not a big deal after signing 4 in 2008 and the terrific trio in 2007.

SPEED = 6: We’ll probably say this 7 times, but it’s always difficult to get good information on this.

TRIGGER = 2: Only one QB in this group, but he is a 2 star.

JUMBO = 4: 2 offensive linemen at 270+ and two defensive linemen at 250+.

NEEDS = 6

Playmaker = 4 (of 5): It’s impossible to predict a true difference maker, so the Committee’s going way out on a limb here. In the past two years there have only been 5 double-doubles in the entire Patriot League. Only two of them have been skill position players. The Pards have recruited a double-double at QB, the most important position in the game. On the surface at least, the coaches have recruited that potential playmaker. Whether it actually works out that way or not is another matter.
RB = 1 (of 4): The Leopards recruited 2 running backs, neither of whom appears to be that large punishing back that a Frank Tavani offense demands. At least one of these recruits appears capable of a productive career, however.
OL = 1 (of 3): Only two offensive linemen, both big enough, but only one rated. This is not what folks had in mind when they talked about keeping the pipeline filled.

THE COMMITTEE’S ADJUSTMENTS = 0

With 55 Patsy Points Lafayette will probably end up in the middle of the recruiting pack which is, frankly, about what this class deserves. It’s a mixed bag for the Leopards. On the plus side, there are a handful of kids who will arrive on campus in August carrying the burden of very high expectations. On the other side of the ledger we have the inability to land a legitimate running threat for a team that lives between the tackles, a weak OL group, and not much class depth anywhere. Then there’s that number: 17. Very perplexing.

Leopard Man
February 5th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Hey Carney make that 8 rated recruits Alan Elder RB Gonzaga by espn

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=58894&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d588 94%26season%3d2009

carney2
February 5th, 2009, 07:37 AM

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=58894&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d588 94%26season%3d2009

I guess I need to tell you (and others) how this is done:

METHODOLGY

QUALITY: The committee wouldn’t know a “quality” high school recruit if they tripped over him while he was wearing a name tag. They therefore have chosen to consult the “experts.” Every recruit is run thru Rivals.com and Scout.com, who maintain data bases for football recruits. Neither is perfect and there are “holes” in both data bases. The theory is that the recruiting services keep track of kids who have established a recruiting persona; in other words those recruits with multiple suitors. To put it another way, if (almost) no one else wanted this recruit, can he truly be labeled as “quality?”

Rivals has much the larger data base and theoretically lists every senior high school football player who has created some D-I recruiting buzz. (Some people dislike Rivals and complain that “a recruit’s mother could write a letter and the kid would automatically be included in their data base.”) Beyond that, they separate the better recruits and rate them with a star system. Five stars is the highest rating and denotes recruits you will eventually find on the rosters at big time FBS schools. Patriot League schools will get many players with one star ratings and an occasional two star recruit, seldom more. Scout simply uses the 5-star system and does not list recruits who generated interest but who do not merit a star.

One Patsy Point is awarded for each recruit included in the Rivals.com data base who did not receive any stars. Two additional points are awarded for each star in a recruit’s rating. In other words, a Rivals one-star recruit earns 3 points (1 for being in the data base + 2 more for the star) for his chosen school. If there is a difference between the Rivals and Scout ratings, the higher rating is used to assign the Patsy Points. If a recruit is listed in both data bases but Scout is higher, the recruit will still get the 1 point for being listed in Rivals in addition to the appropriate points for Scout stars. The term “rated recruit” refers to any recruit who was included in either data base.

One additional Patsy Point is awarded to each recruit who is “confirmed.” It is rare that a recruit gets an equal (starred) rating by each of the recruiting services used here. When this happens, the Committee deems that the recruit has not gotten “lucky” or otherwise “snuck by one of the recruiting service’s screening systems, but has been independently confirmed in his quality ranking.

(NOTE – There are other recruiting systems. The committee was either unable to find access, too lazy, and/or too cheap to pay for them.)

CLASS SIZE: Football is a physical game; a game of attrition. In addition, not all of these recruits are going to be up to the challenge of playing D-I football in a demanding academic environment. Some will get homesick, or will dislike their roommate or position coach, or their girlfriend back home will call to say that she’s pregnant. Males in this age group are among the most unpredictable and irrational creatures on the planet. In any event, quantity is, in many respects, almost as important as quality in the Patriot League recruiting process. Unlike many of the large state universities that have become FCS powerhouses, the Patriot League does not make a living off FBS transfers. The overwhelming majority of the League’s key performers are high school recruits that have never attended another college.

It is arbitrary we admit, but we have determined that a bare subsistence recruiting class should number 18. If you multiply this number by 4 years you get 72, which gives you three deep plus some leftovers for kickers, kick returners, “athletes,” etc. Most Patriot League preseason rosters number in the 90+ range, so this should not be a problem. We awarded 2 Patsy Points for reaching a class size of 18 and awarded an additional point for every three recruits above that number. For example, a recruiting class of 23 would yield 4 Patsy Points for that school – 2 for reaching 18 + 1 more for numbers 19 thru 21 + 1 more for numbers 22 and 23. There is, therefore, no difference between 22 and 23 – the point is awarded either way.

DISTRIBUTION: You need to keep the pipeline filled at each position. We therefore award 1 Patsy Point for each of the following positions where the team has at least one recruit: QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB, and K/P. That is a maximum of 9 points. You can argue that Team X doesn’t need a kicker because last year’s freshman was great, or that Team Y already has 4 quarterbacks and doesn’t need one this year. You can argue, but...

SPEED: This one is really difficult, but since “speed kills," it needs to be considered. Times for the 40 are not tattooed on a recruit’s forehead and are rarely included in the college’s press release. Rivals or Scout will frequently (but not always) include this information for players in their data base. Other than that it is a matter of getting lucky with online resources. Freely admitting that we will most certainly miss a “burner” or two, or three, we award the Patsy Points for speed as follows: 4.8 – 4.701 = 1 point; 4.7 – 4.601 = 2 points; 4.6 – 4.501 = 3 points; etc.

TRIGGER: Quarterback is the most important position on any college football team. We have therefore determined that demonstrably superior quarterback recruits should earn additional Patsy Points for their schools. We have again used the Rivals and Scout data bases to determine “superior,” and if you view this as merely a way to award additional Quality points, you are correct. I award one point for each star assigned by either rating service to a QB recruit. Again, we use the higher rating of the two systems in each case. For instance, a recruit that is 2-star rated by Rivals will earn 2 Patsy points for his school. (Please note that a QB who is merely mentioned by Rivals, but earns no stars in either rating system earns no additional Patsy “trigger” points.)

JUMBO: Size matters. Since Patriot League teams are not stealing skill position recruits from LSU or Ohio State (the kind of guys who could make a difference despite what is going on in the lines) our assumption is that, for the time being, line play – and the size of the people making that play – is critical. I therefore assign 1 Patsy point for each OL recruit of 270 pounds or more and 1 point for each DL recruit of 250 pounds or more.

NEEDS: New for 2008, and the most subjective and controversial area in the Patsy Ratings, is an attempt to answer the question “Did this program meet its recruiting needs?” Recently the usual list of suspects on the Any Given Saturday board was asked to state and prioritize the recruiting needs for their school. They were requested to distinguish between needs for the upcoming season where freshmen would not be expected to contribute vs. needs for future years when these recruits will be in the two deep. The responses have been massaged into a prioritized list of each team’s three (3) greatest recruiting needs.* Patsy Points are awarded as follows:

Meeting need no. 1: 5 points
Meeting need no. 2: 4 points
Meeting need no. 3: 3 points

That’s a total of 12 potential points, but they will not be doled out on an all or nothing basis. They will be subjectively (that word again) graded. For instance, a team whose number 1 need is offensive line lists 6 recruits at this position but none are rated, and only one weighs 270 or more will almost certainly not receive all of the 5 potential points for meeting their number 1 need.

*Excluding kickers. Our personal (color that arbitrary if you like) opinion is that if one of your school’s greatest needs is a kicker, you’re in fantastic shape.

(EVEN MORE) SUBJECTIVITY. The “committee” reserves the right to add/subtract Patsy Points as the situation warrants to preserve fairness and avoid an injustice.

SMILE. It’s all about fun, bragging rights and picking a (verbal) fight among friendly competitors. We all know that the All League team in 2012 will be peppered with kids that no one considered back here in 2009, but who worked their tails off and were the recipients of good coaching and good training. Anyone who says that this is crap because “nobody really knows,” is taking this way too seriously.

carney2
February 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
There are three changes in methodology from 2008:

1. The Committee has reserved the right to arbitrarily add or subtract Patsy Points in the interest of preserving fairness and preventing an injustice. This will be done as the final item in the ratings even though the actual change may be related to a specific section.
2. The criterion for awarding Jumbo points for offensive linemen has been reduced to 270 lbs. from 275.
3. The Committee has decided that “confirmation” is such a rarity that it deserves one additional Quality Patsy Point when it occurs. “Confirmation” occurs when both rating services (Rivals and Scout) award the same number of stars to a recruit. The theory is that the recruit has received independent confirmation of his status and did not somehow receive a mistakenly inflated rating from one service or the other.

carney2
February 5th, 2009, 07:45 AM

ESPN Insider is generally a for pay data bank. From the Methodology detail previously posted:

(NOTE – There are other recruiting systems. The committee was either unable to find access, too lazy, and/or too cheap to pay for them.)

A guy who lives about two blocks from me has a rating system too. He classifies every Lehigh recruit into two categories: 3-squawks and more than 3-squawks (he doesn't use stars). The Committee doesn't use his ratings either.

carney2
February 5th, 2009, 08:08 AM
The local newspapers (Easton and Allentown) as well as the Lafayette gossip board report that Tavani expects some late signings. One (unofficial) report says that he expects the final head count to be around 22, the same number as graduated this year.

carney2
February 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
The local newspapers (Easton and Allentown) as well as the Lafayette gossip board report that Tavani expects some late signings. One (unofficial) report says that he expects the final head count to be around 22, the same number as graduated this year.

This presents a dilemma for the Committee. They have never reopened and recalculated the ratings for late breaking news. The philosophy has always been, however, that it would be done as long as the information comes from an official source (the school itself or a reputable news source). In the interest of fairness, we ask ourselves if a school that announces early should be penalized vis-a-vis a school that delays for enough time to include the late signing recruits. The answer, we think, is obviously "no."

If there are late signings, YOU have to make the Committee aware. You must include the verifiable source of your information or it's going nowhere.

Franks Tanks
February 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Dear Carney,

I would like to submit a formal protest regarding your use of class size as a rating metric. Quantity in no way determines quality in this case. Many schools, including Lafayette, have roster size limitaitions and can only reasonably recruit a given amount of players without risking being way over the allotted roster size. Also please consider that Nova signed only 10 players, and JMU signed 18. These teams do ok.

Also I think the coaches were really able to focus on recruiting impact players this year. When you are looking to bring in 30 guys you have to start with a much bigger pool at the the beginning. Since you have more guys to review, you only have so long to evaluate each one. When you are targeting fewer players you can be more selective and have more time to more closely review each player.

Leopard Man
February 5th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Points for class size lol wow... This carney dude has too much time on his hands. Its quality not quantity that matters. Drop the class size metric.

TheValleyRaider
February 5th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I tend to agree with carney regarding class size. There are going to be kids you recruit that you don't know much about, may ride the pine for a year or two, dressing only for home games, and decide it's just not for them. Plus the usual injuries and the like. You could argue it shouldn't be worth as much as the other catagories, but there's something to be said for quantity. Besides, you never know who your "diamonds in the rough" will really be xtwocentsx

Lehigh Football Nation
February 5th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Points for class size lol wow... This carney dude has too much time on his hands. Its quality not quantity that matters. Drop the class size metric.

You're obviously a newcomer around here. Saying carney has too much time on his hands is like saying "Dog Bites Man", "Skank makes fool of herself on reality show" or "Bush misspeaks". It's simply accepted as truth.

It's pretty astonishing you've come to this conclusion without even seeing carney's interactions with Ken_Z.

Franks Tanks
February 5th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I tend to agree with carney regarding class size. There are going to be kids you recruit that you don't know much about, may ride the pine for a year or two, dressing only for home games, and decide it's just not for them. Plus the usual injuries and the like. You could argue it shouldn't be worth as much as the other catagories, but there's something to be said for quantity. Besides, you never know who your "diamonds in the rough" will really be xtwocentsx

But when you have back to back huge recruiting classes and little attrition a smaller one in unavoidable.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I think class size depends on your needs. If you're a defending champion with tons of sophomores and juniors and you've dominated a CAA team in the playoffs, I could certainly see that a small recruiting class is no big deal. But if you've got a sub-.500 record and are lacking athletes at certain positions, a large incoming class is crucial.

I make no speculation about Lafayette's needs, but if the Lafayette fan base thinks that the athletes they have in most position are fine and have good depth, I could see where a small incoming class may not be a big deal.

TheValleyRaider
February 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
But when you have back to back huge recruiting classes and little attrition a smaller one in unavoidable.

Fair point, not every class needs to be 30 kids

I think we're only arguing the point because carney (like most recruiting rankings) pretty much takes each class as a seperate entity, and outside of his list of "needs," doesn't take into account what's already there as much. Still, I can see why he includes it, and presumably it doesn't affect the ranking too much

colorless raider
February 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM

I agree. Who needs JUST bodies.

jmufan999
February 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM
and JMU signed 18. These teams do ok.

we got blurbed! nice!

carney2
February 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Dear Carney,

I would like to submit a formal protest regarding your use of class size as a rating metric. Quantity in no way determines quality in this case. Many schools, including Lafayette, have roster size limitaitions and can only reasonably recruit a given amount of players without risking being way over the allotted roster size. Also please consider that Nova signed only 10 players, and JMU signed 18. These teams do ok.

Dear Franks,

Where were you when I needed constructive criticism to make changes? :) Anyway, two points:

1. Check the methodology post for the details that determine Class Size Patsy Points. I think you'll find that it makes sense and that the points being doled out - or withheld - do not generally amount to enough to make or break the final ratings.

2. In year one I tried to use my "logic" to compare Patriot League recruiting to other schools/conferences in FCS. For any number of reasons that I don't have time to go into now (day job!) it just doesn't work. I have concluded that Patsy Ratings Methodology only works (to the extent it does) for the Patriot League and maybe the Ivy League. Absolutely not for the SoCon, CAA and Gateway or whatever it is calling itself these days.

Franks Tanks
February 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Dear Franks,

Where were you when I needed constructive criticism to make changes? :) Anyway, two points:

1. Check the methodology post for the details that determine Class Size Patsy Points. I think you'll find that it makes sense and that the points being doled out - or withheld - do not generally amount to enough to make or break the final ratings.

2. In year one I tried to use my "logic" to compare Patriot League recruiting to other schools/conferences in FCS. For any number of reasons that I don't have time to go into now (day job!) it just doesn't work. I have concluded that Patsy Ratings Methodology only works (to the extent it does) for the Patriot League and maybe the Ivy League. Absolutely not for the SoCon, CAA and Gateway or whatever it is calling itself these days.

Thats a fair point Carney, as long as the size of the class is a secondary factor, giving it some weight isnt a fatal flaw.

letsgopards04
February 5th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I am upset that they didn't pick up a bigger tailback. We saw what happened to these small backs (always hurt, can't run between the tackles).

Pard94
February 6th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I have to say I'm not as worried about the RB situation. I think what we saw last year stemmed more from inconsistant QB play. And once we frigging make up our mind on who our QB is I think that will even straighten itslef out.I know Jerome Rudolph is 220 lbs. soaking wet with a pocketful of nickles but he showed quite a lot of promise for a frosh. What's more is he didn't seem to employ a "scat back" type of style. I thought he ran down hill very effectively off tackle and even up the middle. If they lock that kid in the weight room only to let him out to attend training table...I think he may be very effective indeed. Is he Eachus? No. But I think he could be a real weapon. Keep in mind he was a freshman. I put on 50lbs from my Freshman year to my senior year. Now if I could just take it off...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 6th, 2009, 09:37 AM
http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/20090206/SPORTS/902060319/-1/NEWSFRONT2

With a senior safety returning next season and incoming recruits, Zott knows he has a lot of work ahead of him.

"Lafayette has been very competitive over the years but will be involved in a rebuilding year next season," Zott said. "I plan to help out.

"I know it's going to be a dogfight for spots in the secondary. It's going to take a lot of work on my part to better. But I intend to put the time in."

xeekx

If this is true, a 17 recruit incoming class may be, well, a problem. Rebuilding doesn't happen with small incoming classes, IMO.

Pard94
February 6th, 2009, 09:42 AM
http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/20090206/SPORTS/902060319/-1/NEWSFRONT2

xeekx

If this is true, a 17 recruit incoming class may be, well, a problem. Rebuilding doesn't happen with small incoming classes, IMO.

We graduated a total of 15 kids. We have three coming back for redhirt reasons. I'd say this kid is a little misdirected. Tavani has indicated he expects the total number of recrutis this year to settle around 22 before it is all said and done.

Franks Tanks
February 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
We graduated a total of 15 kids. We have three coming back for redhirt reasons. I'd say this kid is a little misdirected. Tavani has indicated he expects the total number of recrutis this year to settle around 22 before it is all said and done.

I think this kid fell for a classic recruiting pitch. We will be in a rebuilding year son, you can come in and play right away xlolx. Then he will get to camp and be 5th on the depth chart.

HoyaMetanoia
February 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM
How in the world is being a 2 star recruit some kind of boost?

2 star is the lowest rating that Scout and Rivals have. If they evaluated you, and they determined you were the worst football player to ever put on pads, you would still be a 2 star.

bison137
February 7th, 2009, 12:37 AM

2 star is the lowest rating that Scout and Rivals have. If they evaluated you, and they determined you were the worst football player to ever put on pads, you would still be a 2 star.

Scout has thousands of players rated as one star players.

HoyaMetanoia
February 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Scout has thousands of players rated as one star players.

Yes, which means the only thing they have on them is their information. They have not been evaluated.

I'm a Scout.com and Rivals.com member. Ask either site's analysts. A 2 star is the lowest ranking you can get. I don't see how this is an accomplishment except for the fact that their HS coaches got tape to the recruiting websites.

Franks Tanks
February 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Yes, which means the only thing they have on them is their information. They have not been evaluated.

I'm a Scout.com and Rivals.com member. Ask either site's analysts. A 2 star is the lowest ranking you can get. I don't see how this is an accomplishment except for the fact that their HS coaches got tape to the recruiting websites.

How many 2 star recruits are the Hoya's bringing in?

MDFAN
February 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM
two stars mean that you got tape to them and someone actually looked at it....like he said thousands send the infor and tape and it never gets looked at

HoyaMetanoia
February 7th, 2009, 06:36 PM
two stars mean that you got tape to them and someone actually looked at it....like he said thousands send the infor and tape and it never gets looked at

So you're saying only the good players get their tapes looked at? I'm pretty sure none of the analysts have any clue about the kids who eventually get 2 stars before seeing their tape.

Being a 2 star means nothing. It simply means someone evaluated the tape. It also means they decided to give you the lowest rating possible. I know it seems to cool to be on a recruiting website, but unless you have a kid who is a 3 star or above, you can't assume they are any better than players who aren't on the site.

Franks Tanks
February 7th, 2009, 06:58 PM
So you're saying only the good players get their tapes looked at? I'm pretty sure none of the analysts have any clue about the kids who eventually get 2 stars before seeing their tape.

Being a 2 star means nothing. It simply means someone evaluated the tape. It also means they decided to give you the lowest rating possible. I know it seems to cool to be on a recruiting website, but unless you have a kid who is a 3 star or above, you can't assume they are any better than players who aren't on the site.

The guys that give out stars are only going to evaluate guys who have merit. Just the fact that a recruiting service took time to give the player a grade means that player was on the recruiting radar.

HoyaMetanoia
February 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM
The guys that give out stars are only going to evaluate guys who have merit. Just the fact that a recruiting service took time to give the player a grade means that player was on the recruiting radar.

And if a Patriot League school takes a player it means they have merit. The threshold for being evaluated is nothing more than having tape available to the evaluators.

I'm sorry, but all this talk of 2 stars meaning something is ridiculous. It doesn't mean anything as a whole. For certain players, it may mean something, but being a 2 star in and of itself is no indicator that a Patriot League signee will be better than one of his unranked classmates.

RichH2
February 7th, 2009, 07:30 PM
rating other than the very elite of HS players is difficult on a statewide basis and I think meaningless on a national level. Just in states covered by PL schools there are over 2000 HS with football. That said Carney's system provides some rationalbasis within the PL for early comparisons and more importantly it is lots of fun

Franks Tanks
February 7th, 2009, 11:55 PM
And if a Patriot League school takes a player it means they have merit. The threshold for being evaluated is nothing more than having tape available to the evaluators.

I'm sorry, but all this talk of 2 stars meaning something is ridiculous. It doesn't mean anything as a whole. For certain players, it may mean something, but being a 2 star in and of itself is no indicator that a Patriot League signee will be better than one of his unranked classmates.

You act as if rivals just randomly picks tapes out of a big box and rates players. I am sure they carefully choose who they will rate, and therefore just that fact that Rivals would rate a kid is noteworthy.

I agree 100% that just because a kid has two stars he is not automatically better than an unrated recruit, but it is generally considered a positive sign when a recruit is rated.

Native
February 8th, 2009, 12:32 AM

No star is the lowest...

Besides, Scouts and Rivals actually "evaluate" very few players.

Anyway, the originator of the thread acknowledges that the ratings services stink, but they've got to start somewhere.

Without any games, what else are we supposed to talk about his time of year?

That said, I agree with you that two stars does not mean much...

carney2
February 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM

To: HoyaMetanoia

You seem to be taking all of this way too seriously. Lighten up.

The Committee enjoys, invites, and even pleads for constructive criticism.

If all you have however, is naked non-constructive criticism, you are invited to bend way over and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Finally, if you can do better, have at it. The Committee is willing - and eager - to turn in their keyboards.

c2
for The Committee

RichH2
February 8th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Ah, our curmudgeon is rounding into form.

Seems some of these people can't just enjoy the game >they really need to lighten up.

Tribe4SF
February 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM
You act as if rivals just randomly picks tapes out of a big box and rates players. I am sure they carefully choose who they will rate, and therefore just that fact that Rivals would rate a kid is noteworthy.

I agree 100% that just because a kid has two stars he is not automatically better than an unrated recruit, but it is generally considered a positive sign when a recruit is rated.

Rivals and Scouts miss so many kids who are recruited at our level that it renders any ranking comparisons meaningless. Looking at the top players returning for W&M, QB RJ Archer, and DE Adrian Tracy weren't even in the databases. RB Jonathan Grimes, the 2008 CAA Rookie-of-the-Year as a true freshman wasn't rated. Our Payton Award winner Lang Campbell also was an unrated prospect.

Speculating about our classes is fun, but Carney is right to caution all to lighten up.

bison137
February 8th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Many of the players with one or two stars were never "evaluated" at all. Often it is simply who you know, plus how good the coach/player/parents are at hyping the player to Scout/Rivals, plus what schools you claim have interest in you. Many times the interest is imaginary but it can lead to a 2-star ranking.

I know in the case of Bucknell that they have had many players with rankings from Scout/Rivals over the past ten years. Yet not one of those players made All-PL. On the other hand, BU has had 17 different players make All-PL in recent years. NONE of those 17 had a Scout/Rivals ranking coming out of H.S.. Even Sean Conover - who started games in the NFL within 18 months of graduation - did not get any ranking from either service. Josh Eden, who made 1st team All-PL as a soph DL - the only soph to do this last year as a position player - had no ranking either.

carney2
February 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure how we'll do it, but at the end of the 2009 season we will finally have enough information to take a first look back. Another piece of offseason fun to keep us interested while KenZ swoons over dunks and picks whilst dribbling on his shirt.

Ken_Z
February 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure how we'll do it, but at the end of the 2009 season we will finally have enough information to take a first look back. Another piece of offseason fun to keep us interested while KenZ swoons over dunks and picks whilst dribbling on his shirt.

sadly my Bison have given me few opportunities to swoon this year. the dribbling, however, continues on schedule. i may have to turn more of my attention to football and join The Committee.

RichH2
February 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Oh boy a new game, we can rank the classes from 2006 and this and next year update the entire PLdatabase. Soon Carney will take over for Rivals and Scout

It will seriously be intersting to see how classes actually performed 2 to 3 yrs down the road

carney2
February 18th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Revised*

Lafayette has added a 6'4," 280 lb. unrated OL from the Philadelphia area. http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/39701702.html He adds 4 Patsy Points to the Lafayette total as follows:

CLASS SIZE +2 = 2: By increasing the class size to the Patsy Ratings minimum of 18, the Pards qualify for the minimum 2 points.

JUMBO +1 = 5: A 280 lb. OL qualifies for 1 Jumbo point. That brings the total to 5 for the class (3 OL and 2 DL).

NEEDS - OL +1 = 2 (of 3): OL was the number 3 rated ned for the Leopards. With 3 recruits, all earning Jumbo points, The Committee wards 2 of the 3 available points. Only one of the 3 is rated and this is the reason that all 3 points were not awarded.

LAFAYETTE TOTAL +4 = 59

*To qualify for revision a recruit added to the list after the school's announcement must be "confirmed" via an announcement from the school itself or via a reputable news source. The rule therefore is "Where is it written?"