PDA

View Full Version : Article "757 Line Goes Dead"

JMU Newbill
February 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I know we wll find out a little later today who officially signed with JMU... but this article is somewhat disturbing/scary as a "757" native.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=35215&CHID=3&sub=

By Mike Barber

HARRISONBURG - And then there were none.

After years of amassing high school recruits from Hampton Roads, James Madison's football team is expected to receive zero letters of intent from "757" players when prospects begin signing up for college today.

It's part of a steady decline in recruiting success in the area. In 2007, JMU brought in two players from the region and last year, it added just one.

From 2004-06, the Dukes signed 18 Tidewater players.

This year, at least, the dropoff didn't hurt JMU, which is expected to announce one of the best classes in Division I-AA today. Hampton Roads, however, remains a top priority for Madison, and both short- and long-term reasons appear to be behind the current drought.

For one thing, JMU has had trouble keeping the coaches it assigns to the region. First, Virginia Beach recruiting guru Curt Newsome, the Dukes' assistant head coach, left for Virginia Tech after the 2005 season. Chip West, who played at Kecoughtan High School for Newsome and enjoyed much of the same popularity, took over Tidewater duties. But West left before the 2007 season to become the assistant head coach for Old Dominion's startup program.

"He knows everybody down in this area," ODU coach Bobby Wilder said of West. "It allows for him to be incredibly thorough. I rely on him for every decision in this area."

Defensive coordinator George Barlow inherited the territory when West left, but he bolted JMU last month to become an assistant at Division I-A New Mexico, apparently influencing some recruits' decisions.

"It just hurt us," JMU coach Mickey Matthews said this week. "We lost some key kids at the end because of George leaving. But that happens to everyone in major college football. You'd like for them to wait until after signing day, but he didn't. It hurt us down there."

Matthews said he won't hire a replacement for Barlow - or determine who will take over the critical Area Code 757 recruiting duties - until after today's signing announcement.

Hampton Roads traditionally has produced some of the Dukes' best players, including Eriq Williams, Tony Jordan, Macy Brooks, Chris Morant, Jerame Southern, Alvin Banks, Corey Davis and Maurice Fenner.

This past season, some of the program's top all-time stars came from Tidewater, including quarterback Rodney Landers and kick returner Scotty McGee.

Now, though, Division I-AA caliber players in Hampton Roads have the option of staying closer to home. Old Dominion began signing recruits last year, and the Monarchs are scheduled to begin fielding a football team this fall.

A trio of two-star recruits (as rated by Rivals.com) chose ODU despite offers from Madison, according to reports, and two of them came from the Tidewater area: Virginia Beach wide receiver and defensive back Tavon Gatlin and Chesapeake safety Carvin Powell. Also, Milford, Del., offensive lineman Alex Bell reportedly chose the Monarchs over Madison.

Wilder said that of the 82 players ODU had in camp last fall - when the Monarchs practiced but didn't play and the athletes all redshirted - 80 percent were from Virginia and 50 percent grew up within 20 minutes of the school's Norfolk campus.

"I said it the day I got hired, this team is going to be made up of predominately local players," Wilder, a longtime assistant at Maine, said Tuesday.

Wilder said most of ODU's head-to-head recruiting battles with the Dukes are for the top prospects.

"They have to be extremely selective in what they're doing," said Wilder, who consulted with Matthews before accepting the ODU job in Feb. 2007. "They have the advantage of being an established program. ... They're going after some players that are being recruited by some I-A programs as well. That's where we want to get to."

JMU did have on oral commitment from a Tidewater area player, First Colonial High School offensive lineman Darian Fisher (6-5, 240). Fisher told the Daily News-Record on Jan. 23 he had committed to JMU, but has since decided to try to walk on at Virginia Tech instead.

Despite the Hampton Roads drought, the Dukes appear to be on the verge of landing one of the best I-AA recruiting classes in the nation. Madison will officially announce this year's signings this afternoon.

On Tuesday, a source said JMU expects a pair of players from California to sign today: quarterback Kavon Seaton (5-10, 175), of Vista Murrieta High School, who played this past year at a prep school in Rhode Island, and cornerback Richard Wilson, originally from Dunbar High School. Wilson played for San Mateo Community College this season.

Also Tuesday, a source said the Dukes will sign kicker Will Gann of Eastern Guilford High School in Greensboro, N.C.

Among the most highly touted recruits who are expected to sign today are a pair of three-star Rivals prospects: linebacker Adrian Cavanaugh of Ashland and tight end Jonathan Sharp of Fork Union.

BDKJMU
February 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM
There is this big discussion on the JMU caazone board about this. I cut and pasted my response:

This constant talk of the 757 is retarded. Who cares if JMU didn't sign a player from ONE friggin area code out of 7 in VA. How come there is always all this talk of the 757, but there is no talk of the 276, 434, 540, 571, 703, 804? So JMU didn't "win" in the 757. You have ODU, W&M, Hampton, & Norfolk State down there, & UR an hr from most of it. Maybe JMU didn't "win" in the 804 either with UR there. Maybe JMU was the top I-AA talent getter in the 276, 434, 540, and 571/703. That would be 5 area codes out of 7 in VA.

JMU Newbill
February 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM
There is this big discussion on the JMU caazone board about this. I cut and pasted my response:

This constant talk of the 757 is retarded. Who cares if JMU didn't sign a player from ONE friggin area code out of 7 in VA. How come there is always all this talk of the 757, but there is no talk of the 276, 434, 540, 571, 703, 804? So JMU didn't "win" in the 757. You have ODU, W&M, Hampton, & Norfolk State down there, & UR an hr from most of it. Maybe JMU didn't "win" in the 804 either with UR there. Maybe JMU was the top I-AA talent getter in the 276, 434, 540, and 571/703. That would be 5 area codes out of 7 in VA.

Yea... to me it's not necessarily that I think the "757" is better than other places in VA. Trust me... there is a reason I do not live there even though thats where I was born and my family is.

What scares me is that we have gotten legitimate talent from there for a long time... most recently names like Landers, Hollomon, and McGee (to name a few). Now if we really are getting as good or better talent from other locations (in VA or not), then GREAT! But if we are losing recruits to... oh lets say.... ODU... or Delaware (see signees list for Delaware).... or even other VA schools that have stepped up the recruiting while we have slacked off.... then I become a little worried.