PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Signs 20 + Pat Devlin

93henfan
February 4th, 2009, 01:44 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090204/SPORTS/90204034/1002

24 visited/20 signed

Delaware’s 2009 high school recruiting class:

Timothy Breaker, defensive back, 6-0, 185, Glassboro High (N.J).
Nick Cattolico, offensive lineman, 6-4, 300, Delran (N.J.).
Adam Citko, offensive lineman, 6-5, 320, Archbishop Wood (Southampton, Pa.).
Walter Davis, running back, 5-8, 175, Ocean Lakes (Virginia Beach).
Kasseim Everett, def.back/running back, 5-11, 175, Roman Catholic (Philadelphia).
Brandon Heath, offensive tackle, 6-6, 305, West Chester (Pa.) Henderson.
Michael Hirt, linebacker, 6-1, 215, North Hills (Pittsburgh)
Thomas Huff, defensive end, 6-3, 245, Sherwood (Olney, Md.).
Leon Jackson, running back, 6-1, 185, Ed White (Jacksonville (Fla.).
Rob Jones, wide receiver, 5-10, 170, Armwood (Tampa, Fla.).
Bobby Kennedy, defensive tackle, 6-4, 285, Caravel Academy (Glasgow, Del).
Erle Ladsen, offensive lineman, 6-6, 275, Cardinal Hayes (The Bronx, N.Y.)
Cody Magill, tight end, 6-4, 250, Quince Orchard (Darnestown, Md.).
Michael Milburn, wide receiver, 6-4, 200, DeMatha (Bowie, Md.).
Lance Miller, defensive tackle, 5-10, 315, Mainland Regional (Somers Point, N.J.).
Cazavious Ray, linebacker, 6-1, 200, Booker (Sarasota, Fla.).
Trevor Sasek, quarterback, 6-6, 205, Spring-Ford (Limerick, Pa.).
Carl Smith, linebacker, 6-1, 205, Highland Springs (Richmond, Va.).
Irvin Titre, defensive lineman, 6-0, 300, Dwyer (Riviera Beach, Fla.).
Roderick Tunstall, defensive back/wide receiver, 5-11, 190, Glassboro, N.J.

Transfer

Pat Devlin, quarterback, 6-3, 200, Penn State, Downingtown East (Exton, Pa.).

89Hen
February 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM
xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Ud1Hens
February 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Here is a little bit on each player from Coach Keeler's Part 2 interview with GoHens.net.

http://gohens.net/article.php?id=27

GoBlueHens83
February 4th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I am pretty happy with this class. I would like to have seen at least one more HS QB though. With Ritacco and Schonehoft leaving we could be 1 injury away from disaster.

93henfan
February 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I am pretty happy with this class. I would like to have seen at least one more HS QB though. With Ritacco and Schonehoft leaving we could be 1 injury away from disaster.

Well, we still have Hakes and now a red-shirt in Sasek.

andy7171
February 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM

24 visited/20 signed

Kasseim Everett, def.back/running back, 5-11, 175, Roman Catholic (Philadelphia).
Lance Miller, defensive tackle, 5-10, 315, Mainland Regional (Somers Point, N.J.).

Transfer

Hey Uncle Buck, you got family down in South Jersey? Another white Jerry Ball! :p

danefan
February 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hey Uncle Buck, you got family down in South Jersey? Another white Jerry Ball! :p

Man! put that kid at nose guard.

BDKJMU
February 4th, 2009, 02:06 PM

24 visited/20 signed

Transfer

Ocean Lakes is Scotty McGee's HS. JMU has 8 players listed as from VA Beach, from 8 different high schools, 7 publics and a private. (VA Beach If I'm correct has 10 AAA high schools).

Highland Springs in Richmond is the high school of Dorian Brooks, RJr, started at guard for JMU the last 2 seasons, 2nd team All CAA.

Wonder who else in the CAA South recruited those 2 (JMU, UR, W&M, ODU)?

GoBlueHens83
February 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Well, we still have Hakes and now a red-shirt in Sasek.

This is true, I just worry that Hakes hasn't had much game experience with our O. Not doubting him, as I have heard from people that attend our practices that he could be something special.

putter
February 4th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Is Devlin going to solve all the problems and does Delaware have anyone capable if he gets hurt?

Ud1Hens
February 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Is Devlin going to solve all the problems and does Delaware have anyone capable if he gets hurt?

Solve all the problems? No. Make every player around him better? yes. Truth is the o-line will dictate how far this year's team is capable of going. The wide receivers and tight end positions are pretty decent. If the RBs step up like we hope they will then they should be fine this year. Schedule is always tough, including a Bowl team in Navy, but I think having a QB like Devlin will make others that much better. Let's face it, no team respected UD's "passing game" last year and dared them to throw it, which they couldn't. The defense should be tremendous so that'll help an offense get in better scoring situations.

The back up behind him is a JUCO guy, Sean Hakes, who was really good in high school in TX, winning 2 state titles and losing another but has never emerged elsewhere. Went to Akron, redshirted, then to Orange Coast JUCO, where he put up modest numbers. He was learning the system last year and only played one drive. This year he'll be experienced in the system enough to know it in and out. But as for his capability of playing well if needed, we don't know. Behind him is a freshman, Trevor Sasek, who was being recruited by NC St., Purdue, and Penn St. but he'll redshirt.

P.S. I love the signature putter...

JMU Newbill
February 4th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Looks like a pretty solid recruiting class to me.

BDKJMU
February 4th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I noticed Keeler's quote from the article:

“We lost one to Virginia, one to Rutgers, one to a conference opponent [James Madison] and one to a team out in the Midwest because he’s a Chicago kid and this was just too far away from home, so I feel pretty good about it.” :)

Wildcat80
February 4th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Interesting to see the differences in size & coaching schemes. DE likes very big kids. I guess they feel if they get App State's speed in the finals -size will win out. The next time. Interesting.

GannonFan
February 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Interesting to see the differences in size & coaching schemes. DE likes very big kids. I guess they feel if they get App State's speed in the finals -size will win out. The next time. Interesting.

Not sure it's a lack of speed. Sure the offensive linemen are on the big side, but we'll have to see how well the move. The rest of the positions aren't terribly on the large side at all and there's plenty of guys who are intended as burners in this class. Losing to Appy St was a lot more than just speed versus size.

89Hen
February 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
No and no. :p Still need an O-line and running game. If he does get hurt... xoopsx

Ivytalk
February 4th, 2009, 04:38 PM
And the one local boy is Bobby Kennedy! Did Harvard go after him?

GannonFan
February 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM

No and no. :p Still need an O-line and running game. If he does get hurt... xoopsx

Well, the lack of a decent QB was easily the single most reason in last year's record. A good QB could've gotten us 3-4 more wins easy and the Hens would've been on the cusp of the playoffs. No reason not to see the Hens in the playoffs this year.

citdog
February 5th, 2009, 09:32 AM
one of my nuts is larger than the traitorous State of Delaware

93henfan
February 5th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Shut your piehole you confederate scum before we come burn down your city!

89Hen
February 5th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Well, the lack of a decent QB was easily the single most reason in last year's record. A good QB could've gotten us 3-4 more wins easy and the Hens would've been on the cusp of the playoffs. No reason not to see the Hens in the playoffs this year.
Maybe. Thin OL and questionable playcalling had a lot to do with it too. I'm not sure about 3-4 more wins.... JMU, Richmond and Nova no way. The only "close" games were Furman and Maryland.

JMU Newbill
February 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I don't like the idea of saying "we could have done this last year if...."

But I do like Devlin leading Delaware to a few extra wins THIS year... just hopefully not more than Dudzik leads JMU to.

citdog
February 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Shut your piehole you confederate scum before we come burn down your city!

if only y'all would have had the balls to fight for your freedom rather than siding with the oppressorxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

henfan
February 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
just thinking about our cheerleaders makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit

Vomit would be the most productive thing to have come out of your mouth since you've been on this message board... unless, of course, you're a swallower.

Seems you've got nothing to add to this thread either, Shannon Faulkner. Time to move along.
http://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/files/Cheerleader.jpg

PAT
February 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Nice utilization of the tax payers $$$ only one in-state player ?????

89Hen
February 5th, 2009, 11:02 AM
FWIW, I can name all the High Schools in Delaware off the top of my head in about 2 minutes. There ain't many. There are more HS students in my county in MD than all of DE. xpeacex

henfan
February 5th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Not to mention that most of the D-I caliber players from DE go to big time programs. UD signs its share of kids who can play at the FCS level, of which there aren't usually more than a few each year.

"Pat" seems to not understand the dynamics of Delaware HS FB and D-I recruiting.

93henfan
February 5th, 2009, 11:19 AM
FWIW, I can name all the High Schools in Delaware off the top of my head in about 2 minutes. There ain't many. There are more HS students in my county in MD than all of DE. xpeacex

Here ya go! All 41 football schools.:D

DIV I

BLUE HEN A
Middletown
Newark
Glasgow
William Penn
Christiana
Delcastle
A.I. du Pont
Charter

HENLOPEN NORTH
Sussex Central
Caesar Rodney
Sussex Tech
Cape Henlopen
Dover
Smyrna
Polytech

NONCONFERENCE
Salesianum 6 4
St. Mark's 6 4

DIVISION II

BLUE HEN B
Hodgson
Concord
Brandywine
Howard
McKean
Dickinson
Pencader Charter
Mount Pleasant

HENLOPEN SOUTH
Delmar
Indian River
Milford
Woodbridge
Laurel
Lake Forest
Seaford

INDEPENDENT
Friends
Tower Hill
St. Andrew's
Tatnall

NON-CONFERENCE
Caravel
St. Elizabeth
Archmere
D.M.A
Red Lion

89Hen
February 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Here ya go! All 41 football schools.:D

Pencader Charter

Red Lion
OK, I will have to back off my claim... I would have not been able to name those two. :p

UD77
February 5th, 2009, 01:23 PM
if only y'all would have had the balls to fight for your freedom rather than siding with the oppressorxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

Do you ever stop to think how a black player from a southern team would feel about such comments? Oppressors???

citdog
February 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Do you ever stop to think how a black player from a southern team would feel about such comments? Oppressors???

frankly i could care less. there is enough pc in this country....people have a right to know the truth. the Southern States were illegaly invaded, coerced, and subjugated. the yankees and their government is still occupying the said States to this day. Delaware chose to side with those who waged an unconstitutional war against sovereign States with whom the State of Delaware shared common instutitions.

ps. grow a sense of humor

Ivytalk
February 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM

On a map, maybe...xcoffeex

henfan
February 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM
On a map, maybe...xcoffeex

Yeah, one of those maps where 1 inch equals 1000 miles.xlolx

http://i.pbase.com/site/maps/us-map.gif

citdog
February 5th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah, one of those maps where 1 inch equals 1000 miles.xlolx

http://i.pbase.com/site/maps/us-map.gif

damn right.........xthumbsupx

PAT
February 5th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Not to mention that most of the D-I caliber players from DE go to big time programs. UD signs its share of kids who can play at the FCS level, of which there aren't usually more than a few each year.

"Pat" seems to not understand the dynamics of Delaware HS FB and D-I recruiting.

Pat's had his sh-- rocked by some of the finest Hen's who ever put on the unie. D II days when the Boardwalk bowl was the show case for all of our future Pro_Bowlers. Speak to the facts.

citdog
February 5th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Pat's had his sh-- rocked by some of the finest Hen's who ever put on the unie. D II days when the Boardwalk bowl was the show case for all of our future Pro_Bowlers. Speak to the facts.

THERE ARE A COUPLE OF POSTERS HERE WHO LOVE TO "ROCK OTHER DUDES ****"

henfan
February 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Speak to the facts.

Thought I broke down the facts in pretty simple terms, Pat. I'll repost.

To summarize, there aren't a lot of D-I caliber kids to choose from in the State of DE, Pat. UD's going after the best athletes they can find and who want to come to the school, regardless of where they've played HS ball. The staff isn't going to bring in kids who don't have the talent to play at this level just because they are Delawareans.

BluehenJK
February 5th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Citdog,
DE and Maryland didnt have a choice. We were looking down the barrels of the US Military's cannons put there by Lincoln who knew he couldnt let the border states side with the Confederacy and it was pretty savvy move Lincoln even you have to admit that. Your beef should be with West Virginia........:)

GannonFan
February 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Well, considering kids from Delaware only make up about 1/3 of the undergraduate population, it's not like the only source of revenue is in-state tax payer money. Out of state tuition is pretty steep these days and 2/3 of the university is paying that. Think of UD as a very expensive in-state school for NJ, MD, and PA. :p

PAT
February 5th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Well, considering kids from Delaware only make up about 1/3 of the undergraduate population, it's not like the only source of revenue is in-state tax payer money. Out of state tuition is pretty steep these days and 2/3 of the university is paying that. Think of UD as a very expensive in-state school for NJ, MD, and PA. :p

So do you mean to say that 2/3"s of the UD budget is being borne by the tuition paid by out of state students??

Ud1Hens
February 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM
So do you mean to say that 2/3"s of the UD budget is being borne by the tuition paid by out of state students??

It's a 70-30 ratio of students who are from out of state compared to in state. UD students joke that Delaware is the real "State School of New Jersey."

LacesOut
February 6th, 2009, 11:57 AM
It's a recruiting class, so of course it looks good. Now.

But who the heck knows how these kids will turn out as Blue Hen FB players.

(yes I'm an eternal pessimist haha)

blukeys
February 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM
And the one local boy is Bobby Kennedy! Did Harvard go after him?

I don't think so. Bobby Kennedy's pedigree is much better than that group of political opportunists in Mass.

The Young Mr. Kennedy is the son of the one and only Brandt Kennedy, one of the great place kickers in UD history.

For the longest time Kennedy held the record for the most consecutive successful PAT attempts.

Brandt Kennedy has been a teacher, coach, and counselor at Howard High. He is truly a class act. Any of his kids will be a credit to the UD football program.

blukeys
February 6th, 2009, 12:58 PM
It's a 70-30 ratio of students who are from out of state compared to in state. UD students joke that Delaware is the real "State School of New Jersey."

I guess then that Wesley College is the "Private State School of New Jersey"!!!xsmiley_wix

93henfan
February 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I guess then that Wesley College is the "Private State School of New Jersey"!!!xsmiley_wix

No crap. I went to the new McGlynn's Pub in Dover (just off Wesley campus) for the Eagles/Giants night game this year and it was me and about three other Eagles fans and about thirty Wesley kids from Jersey pulling for the Giants. In fact, they were talking ***** about the Eagles all game.

nms1987
February 8th, 2009, 02:35 PM
So what is going to happen to Schoenhoft?

Is he just going to sit on the bench?

Tribe4SF
February 8th, 2009, 03:55 PM
So what is going to happen to Schoenhoft?

Is he just going to sit on the bench?

I believe he plans to graduate in May, and go on to grad school and be a grad assistant somewhere. Media up there has mentioned Toledo. His playing days seem to be over.

boozeANDammo
February 8th, 2009, 04:54 PM
That's a nice lookin' class with a lot of heavies. Devlin is flat out a gamer and will most certainly make that team much more competitive next year. Nice to see the quality of recruits in the CAA remains at a high level.

UDDave
February 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Video of Keeler on Signing Day, along with clips of some of the new Hens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O03ujRhMLlg