PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship Question

Purple Pride
February 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Aren't FCS teams restricted to 85 players total receiving scholarships?

Meaning 63 scholarship split up among no more the 85 players?

Scholarships: Division-I FBS schools (except the service academies) are allotted a total of 85 players receiving financial assistance. For competitive reasons, and due to the fact that a student on partial scholarship counts fully against the total of 85, virtually all FBS schools award full scholarships. Division I FCS schools are currently allotted financial assistance amounting to a total of 63 full scholarships. Unlike those in FBS, FCS institutions may give partial assistance; they have no limit as to the overall number of players receiving such. There are also several FCS schools (mid-major) that offer no football scholarships or grants.

http://petespoll.com/petesiaahistory.shtml

andy7171
February 3rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
FCS Lesson Numero Uno - don't listen to Pete.

Purple Pride
February 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
FCS Lesson Numero Uno - don't listen to Pete.
Gotchaxthumbsupx

andy7171
February 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
...as for your question, I'm not certain, but I think 63scholarships is for 63 players. Regardless of what percentage is offered.

Someone here knows for certain, you'll get your answer.

danefan
February 3rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
...as for your question, I'm not certain, but I think 63scholarships is for 63 players. Regardless of what percentage is offered.

Someone here knows for certain, you'll get your answer.

FCS rule is that 63 rides can be split amongst 85 players.

FBS is different. FBS rules say that a partial scholarship is counted as a full scholarship for purposes of determining the 85 scholarship max. Thus, in effect schools only give out full scholarships. Some people think they cannot give out partials, which isn't true. FBS schools can give out partials, but it counts as a full in the eyes of the NCAA, so FBS schools don't do it.

The NCAA by-laws are somewhat complicated because they refer to anyone who receives money awarded based on athletic ability as a "counter" and a full scholarship as an "equivalency".

15.5.6 Football Limitations.

15.5.6.1 Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS]

There shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of initial

counters (per Bylaw 15.02.3.1) and an annual limit of 85 on the total number of counters (including initial

counters) in football at each institution.

(Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92, 12/15/06)

15.5.6.2 Championship Subdivision Football. [FCS]

There shall be an annual limit of 30 on the number

of initial counters (per Bylaw 15.02.3.1), an annual limit of 63 on the value of financial aid awards (equivalencies)

to counters, and an annual limit of 85 on the total number of counters (including initial counters) in football

at each football championship subdivision institution.

(Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92, 12/15/06)

So the FBS rules says the school is limited to 85 counters and the FCS rule says a school is limited to 63 equivalencies to a total of 85 counters.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Division_1_Manual_2008-09e9e568a1-c269-4423-9ca5-16d6827c16bc.pdf
Page 185

"initial counters" is the # of kids brought in each year. I.e. in FCS you cannot split up scholarships to more than 30 new kids each year.

CSUBUCDAD
February 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
FCS teams may have 63 players on scholorship whether partial or full.

mcveyrl
February 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
FCS rule is that 63 rides can be split amongst 85 players.

FBS is different. FBS rules say that a partial scholarship is counted as a full scholarship for purposes of determining the 85 scholarship max. Thus, in effect schools only give out full scholarships. Some people think they cannot give out partials, which isn't true. FBS schools can give out partials, but it counts as a full in the eyes of the NCAA, so FBS schools don't do it.

FCS teams may have 63 players on scholorship whether partial or full.

xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

There has to be something written down somewhere...

danefan
February 3rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

There has to be something written down somewhere...

I edited my post with the link.

BUCDAD may have just misworded his post.

Its 63 rides spread amongst 85 players.

Libertine
February 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Danefan is correct. 63 schollies max for 85 players max.

andy7171
February 3rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Crystal clear!